Redshirt region to remain under martial law

webfact

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Khaosod with the usual rabble rousing headlines, Red Shirt supporters with their veiled threats, yep, it's Monday already.

Cracking on khaosad but you're the guy that is taking the time to read the articles they write...funny how that works ain't it?!

Edited by gemini81

anyone else notice this new, recent line of "defense" from the junta that martial law is not really a problem since people can still (in this case) "buy things normally"?

There was the other poll saying that martial law is not a problem for people.

And all the while the junta claiming that they still need martial law - apparently because of some external or internal threats. The threats are always rather vague and mysterious.

Can you have it both ways? Life is 'normal' and 'it's dangerous out there!'

Martial law doesn't affect your normal daily life, unless of course your normal daily life consists of protesting.

There's no point in demonstrating now . I'm not sure whether the Red shirts are representative of the people in the north and northeast .

My impression is that people are wisely lying low to avoid causing any trouble . When there are eventually new elections , it would'nt surprise me if the winners are again from the north , no need to mention any names , but effectively representing the same politics .

• Like 2

Many places in the North East, and Issan especially around Korat, the Army presence has been minimal, so Martial Law is no big deal to the Thais up there, I think I seen maybe 2 Checkpoints closer to Saraburi, maybe a Regional thing, other than that, the Military hasn't been out in force, it has looked and felt the same with regards to atmoshpherics as it did same time last year.

Don't know the overall picture, but drove up from Bangkok to Khon Kaen twice last month and each time saw three army checkpoints, two of them north of Korat (I think near Phimai and Baan Phai).

exactly my point mate, how do you limit the movement of the trouble makes when there's too few checkpoints? That's why I said Martial Law hasn't changed a thing on daily lives, and it seems the polls also agree with this too, these checkpoints seem to be more of a token gesture, not for a purpose, and they were all watching the Thai Ladies Volleyball team last time I went through them on the way to Bangkok, that was about 2 weeks ago, the week before that I went up to Nongkai, and 2 checkpoints in 300 km's isn't going to stop anyone with the intent of causing trouble, especially when they were not even checking vehicles!!

For those of you living in the northern "Redshirt Area" of Thailand, how exactly does martial law affect you? I'm curious because in my location and lifestyle it makes no obvious difference to my life.

My concern with the military's decision to this is that it might cause a bigger separation in the country and even more talk of secession.

• Like 1

Better safe than sorry. Martial law may not be palatable for some but it sure beats having red shirts causing trouble and burning stuff.

Well said Gerry. clap2.gif

Nobody wants these low-life guttersnipes back on the streets.

No One is Low life in this world, every individual has it role to play in a community, God make some one to be rich for a reason, we are all equal in sight of God.

Except for the murderous Red SHIrTS!!!

• Like 1

Well well well.

All those people here who harped on about how unfair Thaksin was by getting his little sister in on the act.

Here we have Prayuth's little bro calling the shots, and silence from the yellow brigade here .....

and is anyone surprised that he is in charge of Isaan?

not really.

Where do you think Isaan is tbthailand? That would be the Northeast region, under command of The 2nd Army commander at Korat HQ.

Lt.Gen. Preecha Chan-ocha, chief of the Northern region 3rd Army is HQ in Phitsanulok. So technically he's not dealing with Isaan.

Well well well.

All those people here who harped on about how unfair Thaksin was by getting his little sister in on the act.

Here we have Prayuth's little bro calling the shots, and silence from the yellow brigade here .....

But you must be all for it, right?

In this case? Not at all. I'll accept whomever the majority of the people choose.

By way of example, as it seems you really don't understand the difference between right and wrong, Hilary Clinton is bill's wife, right? She'd be a nobody otherwise - just someone waiting at a checkout queue at the local supermarket. She became known to the public because the the public elected her husband. In a free country, she has the right to use her fame and stand for president, and if the citizenry wants her to be the president, and elect her too, then that's fine.

You can't say the same about Prayuth's kid bro though. Or maybe you can, because you can't tell the difference.

• Like 1

anyone else notice this new, recent line of "defense" from the junta that martial law is not really a problem since people can still (in this case) "buy things normally"?

And all the while the junta claiming that they still need martial law - apparently because of some external or internal threats. The threats are always rather vague and mysterious.

As soon as it could be made 100% sure that Thailand would forever be freed from the actions of the violent red shirts, I'm sure an vast majority of Thais would ask for the ML to be lifted. Maybe you with your red comrade friends here could positively contribute to the creation of such a safe situation, was it just by what you write on TV for a start. But when I read your: 'The threats are always rather vague and mysterious', I, alas, guess there will long be no floods in Thailand anymore by the time that can happen. As there was nothing vague or mysterious about the violences of 2009/2010 and of 2013/2014, that's all the point, but, very sadly, never ever IMO will you and the other, present and future, members of the propaganda brigade have the will nor the ability to admit it! And that's dramatic, for the red shirts' movement (which could, should play an important, peacefull, role in creating the future of this country, wthout the Shins and consorts), and for Thailand (by the absence of, any, truly 'democratic' organisation for the citizens to express their personal opinions through in politics).

you do know which group has been the most violent and killed the most people in Thailand, don't you?

Tip: color is neither red, nor yellow.

Yep! Sure do. And martial law has done wonders for their behaviour too, just like that of the reds & yellows. Under the facts we both just exposed to the unenlightened, this obviously means I can put you down as being a big fan of martial law in that case. Right???

• Like 1

Well well well.

and is anyone surprised that he is in charge of Isaan?

not really.

Where do you think Isaan is tbthailand? That would be the Northeast region, under command of The 2nd Army commander at Korat HQ.

Lt.Gen. Preecha Chan-ocha, chief of the Northern region 3rd Army is HQ in Phitsanulok. So technically he's not dealing with Isaan.

I stand corrected. Thanks

Well well well.

But you must be all for it, right?

In this case? Not at all. I'll accept whomever the majority of the people choose.

By way of example, as it seems you really don't understand the difference between right and wrong, Hilary Clinton is bill's wife, right? She'd be a nobody otherwise - just someone waiting at a checkout queue at the local supermarket. She became known to the public because the the public elected her husband. In a free country, she has the right to use her fame and stand for president, and if the citizenry wants her to be the president, and elect her too, then that's fine.

You can't say the same about Prayuth's kid bro though. Or maybe you can, because you can't tell the difference.

That's not a very good analogy. Bill didn't appoint Hillary to anything. Hillary decided to run for president, and put herself to the voting public. Yingluck wasn't even in politics until she was appointed number 1 party list candidate for PTP and therefore a pretty surefire bet for being PM.

On the other hand, Thaksin did appoint relatives to various important positions, including police chief. One of the reasons he was kicked out was because he was trying to appoint his brother-in-law as army chief.

Prayuth appointing his brother to an important military position is wrong, that is, if he actually did appoint his brother.

Edited by whybother

Better safe than sorry. Martial law may not be palatable for some but it sure beats having red shirts causing trouble and burning stuff.

Well said Gerry. clap2.gif

Nobody wants these low-life guttersnipes back on the streets.

No One is Low life in this world, every individual has it role to play in a community, God make some one to be rich for a reason, we are all equal in sight of God.

Oh, "for heaven's sake," spare us the preaching from the pulpit. To quote TVGerry, but using your terminology, "but it sure beats having red shirts the devil's spawn causing trouble and burning stuff." (Hope I didn't offend TVGerry.)

Martial law doesn't affect your normal daily life, unless of course your normal daily life consists of protesting.

You are quite wrong about when you say "martial law doesn't affect your normal daily life". We have lived for years in a very quiet farming village in Changwat Lamphun, and the fabric and feeling of life here has changed noticeably since the imposition of martial law. When martial law was declared, most in the village were puzzled as to why. There had been no protests or disruptive behaviour locally. Yes, many in the village supported and voted for PTP, but also many did not. That was freedom of choice, without threat or fear.

Since then the village has been controlled by a gnawing fear of what will occur next. We frequently see army personnel checking things out locally. One incident which contributed to this was a neighbour being ordered by army personnel to remove a picture of Yingluck, which she had hanging in her shop - it had been there for years, and surely was not a threat to "peace and happiness". She obeyed the order to remove the picture, and also removed the picture of the King and Queen from her shop.

We occasionally go out for a nice BBQ meal at a nearby town - a "normal" enjoyable treat. Twice while returning from dinner, we have been stopped by army personnel, complete with assault rifles, ordered out of the car, while the car was thoroughly searched. Then ordered back into the car at gunpoint. For me, the experience since the imposition of martial law feels less like "normal daily life" and more like Iraq.

Were you polite and cooperative when asked to exit the vehicle, or did you protest and run your mouth about who you are and where you'd been. The Thai military probably has orders to be polite and civil to Thais and foreigners to whom they come into contact. They usually conduct searches only with good reason. On the few occasions we have been through a vehicle check, the personnel have been most polite.

Getting shunted back into your car at gunpoint sounds more like Lebanon than Lamphun.

• Like 2

As soon as it could be made 100% sure that Thailand would forever be freed from the actions of the violent red shirts, I'm sure an vast majority of Thais would ask for the ML to be lifted. Maybe you with your red comrade friends here could positively contribute to the creation of such a safe situation, was it just by what you write on TV for a start. But when I read your: 'The threats are always rather vague and mysterious', I, alas, guess there will long be no floods in Thailand anymore by the time that can happen. As there was nothing vague or mysterious about the violences of 2009/2010 and of 2013/2014, that's all the point, but, very sadly, never ever IMO will you and the other, present and future, members of the propaganda brigade have the will nor the ability to admit it! And that's dramatic, for the red shirts' movement (which could, should play an important, peacefull, role in creating the future of this country, wthout the Shins and consorts), and for Thailand (by the absence of, any, truly 'democratic' organisation for the citizens to express their personal opinions through in politics).

you do know which group has been the most violent and killed the most people in Thailand, don't you?

You are pathetic with your red shirt propaganda and non sense. Martial law is cleaning Thailand from low life thugs and bugs.

Quote, Banglassie (post #17) : I'm not even sure why I complain, yes I'm no fan of military dictatorships, but I was no fan of the Shins as well, and certainly no fan of Suthep, and not very fond of the Democrats. I'm just a foreigner complaining on stuff no matter which country I seem to live in, and it's been a few. Every nation has it's flaws. But they get way more obvious when you live in the place.

What a refreshing display of sincerity, common sense and humour as well. Thanks !

You are pathetic with your red shirt propaganda and non sense. Martial law is cleaning Thailand from low life thugs and bugs.

in denial, I see.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sooner or later you will have to lift martial law in those areas. You think the people will forget? I doubt it.

and what effect has it had on you ? I'll answer for you - zero

and what negative effect has it had on the general population of Thailand ? I'll answer for you - Zero

go ply your useless rhetoric somewhere else - you're like a broken record

The truth really bothers you doesn't it. You know what I say is true. You just can't accept it.

If there are people wanting to stir up trouble keeping ML in the northern provinces is sure not going to stop it.

They could simply move their activities to somewhere outside of the north.

You mean like, I don't know, Cambodia? Or maybe Japan. How about Dubai?

• Like 1

It is and has been obvious that the military is on the side of the Thai elites.

But suppression only works for a short time and eventually is overthrown leaving more destruction.

It would be much better and even financially beneficial to willingly give people democracy.

But the elites of the world never learn this as they busily try to build walls and protect their material wealth.

Their negative Karma will catch up with them.

We all know, even if you hide your head in the sand and deny the facts, that the Red Shirts are the majority of the Thai population.

Red Shirts are not the majority of the Thai population, not by far.

The only time I've seen actual figures (as opposed to propaganda) on Red Shirt membership it was a mere 7% of the population.

Unless, of course, you can cite a credible reference to more than half the Thai population being Red Shirts.

you are correct, albeit a bit nit-picking. It seems clear that the poster is talking about (1) they keep winning elections, and (2) they really do out-number the "elites"

• Like 1