Woman killed by train in Bangkok

webfact

Woman killed by train

Woman-killed-by-train--wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An unidentified woman died when she was hit by a Bangkok-bound train while was crossing the rail track near Yommarat intersection this morning.

The train dragged her body which was cut in half a short distance before stopping.

The victim, aged around 40 years old, crossed the track near Yommarat intersection although the elevating barrier had already been slid down to prevent vehicles from crossing, and the train horn also sounded.

But she still walked across was hit and dragged along the track. Her body was cut in half.

The train stopped across the intersection, causing a major traffic jam as cars could not exit from the expressway ramp nearby.

It was half an hour later before traffic eased when the police and railway officials arrived to inspect the scene.

Police suspected the victim might be a resident living by nearby community by the rail line.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/woman-killed-train/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-08

There's a crossing on the Nong Khai Highway near my home and although I've never seen pedestrians walk across it's very common for m/cyclists to weave between the barriers up to the very last minute. If any of them were to lose control in between the barriers ... !

Suicide by train (if that is what it was) is not uncommon. UK 3.5%, Germany 7% of suicides.

My sympathies go to the driver who had to watch this unfold helplessly. I know an Oz driver who has had this happen on 3 occasions, each of them deliberate, and the result inevitable.

http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/jumping-under-train

Those who conspire to the suicide notion have obviously never been at the crossing site... the trains go through so slowly you could jump on or off, but not be sufficient for a head-on wipe-out.

Sounds more likely that she was not caught by the front of the engine, perhaps spun beneath a bogey or onto a coupling. Yes, spun, as tends to happen when any vector force impacts. If it happens on a platform, the victim is still alive above the platform and ankles may be beneath the platform, but the torso is a wrung out towel... until the train is moved :-(

Let's hold the speculation until more information becomes available....

You wouldn't want to jump under a slow moving train to commit suicide, you'd just get mangled and It wouldnt be quick

When I worked for BR I saw a guy jump of a platform in front of an Intercity through Train, you literally just explode at that speed , couple of hundred ton hitting at 100mph +

People pissing around near railway tracks are taking their life in their hands , several passengers messing about have been killed by trains on LU

Ahhhh yes, the never ending list of sanctimonious TV posters who have never taken their eye off the ball. Easy enough to get wrapped up in yer own thoughts and get careless, who hasn't done it at one stage or another. Money troubles at home or useless Somchai pee'in this months rent down the toilet at the local Karaoke bar, who knows what she had on her mind and wasn't concentrating properly because of it. Good job y'all are so perfect and never let your minds wander though.

Assuming the newsreport is correct: accidently jumping a barrier due to being elsewhere with your mind? =/ Explains all those deaths from troubled farangs with lots of things on their mind accidently falling from their hotel balconies though...

In all seriousness: it may have been recklessness by crossing closed barriers (what seems to happen a lot and is very much plausible) if the newsreport is correct, but if there were no barriers or she was caught in between them, then it might have been an unfortunate accident.

All those crossings are a confusing cluster<deleted> every day. One if the many reasons ita dangerous is the way the guys in the booth put down the barriers. Often they are down and nothing going on for very long periods. People grow impatient and start crossing by foot. Happens constantly at that intersection.

Also, there is a third track there and the trains from the east come from around a curve so its easy not to see the trains coming. If she had started at that end and that tracl was the last for her to cross, she could have already been running and just ran out of time to make it. I came pretty close once too. It came out seemingly at the last second.

Those who conspire to the suicide notion have obviously never been at the crossing site... the trains go through so slowly you could jump on or off, but not be sufficient for a head-on wipe-out.

Sounds more likely that she was not caught by the front of the engine, perhaps spun beneath a bogey or onto a coupling. Yes, spun, as tends to happen when any vector force impacts. If it happens on a platform, the victim is still alive above the platform and ankles may be beneath the platform, but the torso is a wrung out towel... until the train is moved :-(

It seems to me that you have just speculated too.

• Like 2

Suicide by train (if that is what it was) is not uncommon. UK 3.5%, Germany 7% of suicides.

My sympathies go to the driver who had to watch this unfold helplessly. I know an Oz driver who has had this happen on 3 occasions, each of them deliberate, and the result inevitable.

http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/jumping-under-train

What effect has it had on the Oz drivers mental condition I wonder?

All those crossings are a confusing clusterf$$$ every day. One if the many reasons ita dangerous is the way the guys in the booth put down the barriers. Often they are down and nothing going on for very long periods. People grow impatient and start crossing by foot. Happens constantly at that intersection.

Also, there is a third track there and the trains from the east come from around a curve so its easy not to see the trains coming. If she had started at that end and that tracl was the last for her to cross, she could have already been running and just ran out of time to make it. I came pretty close once too. It came out seemingly at the last second.

"I came pretty close once too. It came out seemingly at the last second."

All train movements within that area and indeed the most of Bangkok are at a restricted speed due to the number of level crossings, most of which were installed long after the railway's inception.

The trains coming from the line you describe are from Makkasan and east and all move very slowly, (much to the annoyance of vehicle operators and pedestrians. at that very low speed anyone coming into contact with a train is not paying attention to their surroundings (think smart, iPhone first.)

Quite often trains are held until two can pass at the same time over these busier crossings.

I personally believe SRT bears no blame for this unfortunate incident, of which, inevitably, there will be more.

The control tower at that junction usually lowers the barrier several minutes, and sometimes longer, before a train is expected. Frustrated and Impatient drivers of cars pedestrians and particularly motor cycles do everything they can to get round the barrier before the train. Some win, some lose. Today's report was of a loser.

Nope, you aren't entirely correct. Just last Thursday there was a train on the south side just sitting there. Gates down ten minutes, everyone growing impatient. People started to cross. Two women were crossing when a train came from there and almost hit them . Its not always easy to hear and in the time it takes you to get from the first track to that track is the same time it takes the train to appear and reach you. If people are on front of their houses there, they will shout out in panic at crossers . They must have seen many accidents before.

Its not all on the pedestrians. Its a very dangerous intersection, plus the highway entrance and the people in the booth (who don't know much more than the cops in the booth that everyone complains about. ).

All these crossings should have been eliminated a long time ago. And they are all in urgent need of repairs. It won't be long before a train goes off the rails at one. Motorcycle s wipe out all the time. Luckily i haven't done so on my bicycle yet, but I've fishtailed a few times, its not fun. Can't go too slow, can't go too fast.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nope, you aren't entirely correct. Just last Thursday there was a train on the south side just sitting there. Gates down ten minutes, everyone growing impatient. People started to cross. Two women were crossing when a train came from there and almost hit them . Its not always easy to hear and in the time it takes you to get from the first track to that track is the same time it takes the train to appear and reach you. If people are on front of their houses there, they will shout out in panic at crossers . They must have seen many accidents before.

Its not all on the pedestrians. Its a very dangerous intersection, plus the highway entrance and the people in the booth (who don't know much more than the cops in the booth that everyone complains about. ).

All these crossings should have been eliminated a long time ago. And they are all in urgent need of repairs. It won't be long before a train goes off the rails at one. Motorcycle s wipe out all the time. Luckily i haven't done so on my bicycle yet, but I've fishtailed a few times, its not fun. Can't go too slow, can't go too fast.

Malaysia has done away with all crossings on their new project from Pedang Basar to Ipoh. Huge expense on Road over bridges and Pedestrian and motorbike bridges. It will save lives but very expensive to build

I doubt it hurt, as much as the brain decision to continue walking through a barrier when a train is horning away. There are no barriers in Thailand, of course....I can go.

All the barriers I have seen have flashing barriers lowering them selves down.

Ahhhh yes, the never ending list of sanctimonious TV posters who have never taken their eye off the ball. Easy enough to get wrapped up in yer own thoughts and get careless, who hasn't done it at one stage or another. Money troubles at home or useless Somchai pee'in this months rent down the toilet at the local Karaoke bar, who knows what she had on her mind and wasn't concentrating properly because of it. Good job y'all are so perfect and never let your minds wander though.

Taken my eye off the ball ON A TRAIN TRACK? Sorry, never. Not once.

Motor cycles and cars etc pull ot in front of you all the time here, its the same mentality, you can see me you can stop. There is also the other bit of Thais that I have noticed, they are not aware of what is going on around them. No look right, look left, look right again and if its clear cross quickly but do not run.

Sad for the lady but unlikely others will learn any lessons.

Bit rich for someone who's post was almost entirely speculation to tell the rest of us not to speculate.

• Like 1

I doubt it hurt, as much as the brain decision to continue walking through a barrier when a train is horning away. There are no barriers in Thailand, of course....I can go.

Me first attitude as seen at all traffic lights, national trait., I have pity for her loved ones but not her.

Bit rich for someone who's post was almost entirely speculation to tell the rest of us not to speculate.

Yep armchair Sherlock.

I'm familiar with the intersection, I've stayed in that area for a while. All trains from Huamlumpong pass through there, plus it's an especially messy traffic spot. Also there are countless motorcades coming through to enter the highway through the toll plaza, causing BiB to freeze traffic. If you've ever wondered why the eastbound traffic on Petchaburi Road is so bad during evening commute time this intersection is it.

I admit I've made the mad dash when the crossing barrier is down, when the slow-moving train was still hundreds of meters away. Usually, in addition to the guy at the controls there is another on the balcony watching the crossing. He'll shout warnings at people (me included, stupid farang!) in addition to the bells and flashing lights.

Taken my eye off the ball ON A TRAIN TRACK? Sorry, never. Not once.

Never tripped off a side walk from not concentrating properly, or wandered out in a road when not properly checking. Good for you.

I know that crossing very well having stayed in a nearby hotel on numerous occasions. It is very wide and obvious if a train is approaching. This accident doesn't make sense unless she was walking parallel to the track but not next to it, as some pedestrians do, so being a local seems to be logical assumption. Maybe she was daydreaming.