Best area to live in Chiang Mai

ShaunEdwards9

Living near to Dhara Dhevi Hotel and Promenada Mall, close and easy enough to get to Tha Phae Gate old city and big mall like Central Festival, Promenada, Big C extra, future Platinum mall and Bangkok Hospital are just a short drive away.......no low flying plane as well.

Peaceful and nice surrounding, no flood during that big flooding period (remember certain area in Hangdong flooded) too. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Some like Mae Rim - horrible roads/congestion driving in and out -

to say mae rim has the above ,perhaps true at times

but please tell me. where is there a main road ,that is not congested in c/mai?????????????

as for myself ,all districts are nice to me

the inner city is my only pet hate

a nice morning to allsmile.png

• Like 1

Some like Mae Rim - horrible roads/congestion driving in and out -

to say mae rim has the above ,perhaps true at times

but please tell me. where is there a main road ,that is not congested in c/mai?????????????

as for myself ,all districts are nice to me

the inner city is my only pet hate

a nice morning to allsmile.png

I guess it depends on outlook of where CM is since the entire area is "Chiang Mai"....we're off the canal road where it goes from 4 lanes to 2 lanes - I was dubious moving here because it was a bit away from 108.....now love it - don't think I've ever seen it congested except when road work is being done - easy access in and out with quick access to the ring roads.....but once appoaching CM city it get predictably congested most of the time....sometimes amazingly not.....but we can do 90% of our errands without heading in.....

The inner city is remoatly whistling.gif OK for me - better with good GPS app.....

Rightfully so .... if you've made CM home then all areas are OK......

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

I think we need to know if you are planning on living here for a year or 20. Things are changing and certain areas around the city that are generally okay now might be pretty congested in 3 to 5 years.

And of course, you need to tell us what blows your hair back -- 24-hour access to food, drink and entertainment, or the peace and quiet of a retirement home?

• Like 2

Have we ever had this un before?

Nimmiheadman, for sure! Reason: bustle and totty.

Just avoid Hang Dong. Too many planes and farangs. wink.png

Great place if you love traffic and the jams that go with it.

Great place if you are into cross country / obstacle course training. Thats just trying to walk down the street.

Apart from that its great.

• Like 1

Great place if you are into cross country / obstacle course training. Thats just trying to walk down the street.

I think you pay a price premium in that area also.

(You aren't related to Jean Claude DaamNaam, are you?)

I think you pay a price premium in that area also.

(You aren't related to Jean Claude DaamNaam, are you?)

If i told you I was him would you believe me?xshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.Q3XOm0fuQs.png

I think we need to know if you are planning on living here for a year or 20. Things are changing and certain areas around the city that are generally okay now might be pretty congested in 3 to 5 years.

And of course, you need to tell us what blows your hair back -- 24-hour access to food, drink and entertainment, or the peace and quiet of a retirement home?

Thujillo, I have made plans to live in Chiang Mai for a year, to be honest, what happens beyond that year I do not know, that would all depend on getting a job if possible etc. Would I love to stay longer? With my previous experience of Thailand.... Of course!

An ideal place to live personally would be that where I am clear of the hussle and bussle of the nightlife but it's easily accessible if I want to have a night out or two. Food is essential... Not too far from the shops and stalls

Basically I want the best of both worlds.... A quiet place to live but within a 10-15-20 walk into the nightlife area?

10-15-20 walk into the nightlife area

A 10-20 minute walk to the nightlife? That pretty much deep-sixes the places out a ways. If you only want to stay a year (and I am not sure how you can stay that long if you don't work already or are retired, but anyway...), just go for the fun and once you run out of steam, branch out from the hot spots and cool your jets.

10-15-20 walk into the nightlife area

A 10-20 minute walk to the nightlife? That pretty much deep-sixes the places out a ways. If you only want to stay a year (and I am not sure how you can stay that long if you don't work already or are retired, but anyway...), just go for the fun and once you run out of steam, branch out from the hot spots and cool your jets.

This isn't a off the cuff decision. I have thought/planned/saved for a while....

Thujillo, I have made plans to live in Chiang Mai for a year, to be honest, what happens beyond that year I do not know, that would all depend on getting a job if possible etc. Would I love to stay longer? With my previous experience of Thailand.... Of course!

An ideal place to live personally would be that where I am clear of the hussle and bussle of the nightlife but it's easily accessible if I want to have a night out or two. Food is essential... Not too far from the shops and stalls

Basically I want the best of both worlds.... A quiet place to live but within a 10-15-20 walk into the nightlife area?

There's many quiet sois around what you want....might be best to get a room - then look around...many places not far from Tapae Gate - I can sort of guide you to a place nearby there....but it will be a loose description as it would be the way I'd drive to it....PM if interested.....no sense boring everyone else.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

If you like the european lifestyle of cafes and nice restaurants, Nimman is your area of choice. Also lots of nightlife spots with young thai girls there.

If you wanna spend more time in girlie bars, then the east side of the moat is great. Restaurant choices in that area are also nice but I would say Nimman restaurants and hangout spots are slighty superior.

I used to live at Chiang Mai gate, which was also great. Area isnt that nice but its fast access to both the east side of town and Nimman.

• Like 1

Many people who are new and may not have a car (yet) prefer living in town, which may be a condo but not always.

So with the above assumption there are many good places around town. Many condos are way out for some reason which somewhat defeats the purpose of condo living for me, but you can definitely find some in town, as well as some apartment buildings that are okay-ish.

But you can find houses too, even in/near the old town area, off Suthep Road, Santitham, etc. It's really best to just stay in a hotel or guesthouse first, get your bearings and preferences and then rent something longer term.

• Like 2

In the area between Raum Chok Market (Middle Ring Road and 1001). Several subdivisions just two streets behind Tesco. You can be within 5 minutes of the Market and Tesco. Also access to the 3 Ring Roads is good. We are ten minutes from the moat...for all that touristy stuff (I don't need that night bazaar...but we go to Loi Kroh once a week and hit the buffets on Chang Klan. Central Festival is only five minutes away. There are night markets at Raum Chok several times a week. Plenty of small restaurants nearby. We have lots of transportation, so there is nothing further than 15 minutes drive away.

If you are one of those pub crawlers (that need to sit on Loi Kroh every single day), then you might check out Doi Ping. I think those condos are overpriced and noisy. We looked at it and turned it down. Fifteen thousand for a small studio. We got a huge house and lot for 1/3 of that price...but not furnished.

I like a kept up yard, and a private home in a nice neighborhood.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

Sorry I missed it but are you interested in doing yard work? That would be a consideration in looking for a locale with in 20 minutes walking to night life.

In fact it could be a serious drawback. On the other hand if you enjoy it you defiantly have the option of a house yet still limitations on the 20 minute walk to the night life. Also remember many of these places require you to have your own transportation where as in the city there is plenty of public transportation. I like the idea of grabing a guest house and looking for your self. Asking on Thai Visa will just get you answers that people personally prefer unless you rule out certain things. Even then they will ignore them such as the 20 minute walk to night life. That defiantly speaks to in town location.