Exchange US Dollars - Small Bills

Hi,

I wanted to ask if anybody knows where I can exchange small US bills (i.e. 1s, 5s, 10s) for either, larger US bills (20s, 50s, 100s) or Thai Baht at a comparable rate that larger bills receive. I have quite a few smaller bills remaining from a recent trip to Cambodia.

My reason being I note most currency exchange places offer a lesser rate for the smaller bills.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

J

I would say you are stuck with the small bills unless you're willing to take the lower exchange rate they offer. If you are from the USA and will be in need of services at the consulate (new passport, etc) you can use them there.

So you want to change 1 usd bills for Thai baht and get the rate for 100 usd bills? It's not going to happen. The rate is lower for a reason

And pls enlighten me, what that reason might be, apart from being greedy for more foreign $$?

In this instant I cant recall any other country doing such exchange policy, if there is any, but in any case it isn't the common practice.

As for the OP:

how much is the quite a lot in small bills?

lets say 300$?

going to the above mentioned superrich will give you better rate, say 1 thb/$ better...your cost of transportation to and from? 300thb? what is the point of the hassle?

alternatively, save them for your next visa run, or the trip to USA?

So you want to change 1 usd bills for Thai baht and get the rate for 100 usd bills? It's not going to happen. The rate is lower for a reason

And pls enlighten me, what that reason might be, apart from being greedy for more foreign $$?

In this instant I cant recall any other country doing such exchange policy, if there is any, but in any case it isn't the common practice.

As for the OP:

how much is the quite a lot in small bills?

lets say 300$?

going to the above mentioned superrich will give you better rate, say 1 thb/$ better...your cost of transportation to and from? 300thb? what is the point of the hassle?

alternatively, save them for your next visa run, or the trip to USA?

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I suppose my next question might be, as previously stated tingtong, why does the exchange rate vary?

In the US you can freely exchange small for large bills, conversely you can change large for small bills without charge. Likewise within neighboring countries (point noted for next time.)

Cheers.