Why do Western men marry Thai girls of ill-repute?

When you throw in the fact that the typical farang guy is: (1) looking for a much younger girlfriend/wife (something fairly uncommon in traditional Thai society); (2) not socially well-established in Thai circles, (3) has limited fluency in the Thai language and, (4) is here temporarily (at least initially), the number of venues to socially interact with Thai women begins to shrink considerably. With the ready availability of beer bars and other entertainment venues which cater to just such a clientele, it should come as little surprise that many, if not most, farang guy/Thai woman relationships which take root are incubated in these settings.

Completely wrong, (1) the very highest levels of traditional Thai society want (and have) a younger gf/wife.

What are you talking about? When is the last time you saw a 50-60 year old Thai man walking down the street with a 20-30 old woman who is his wife? I'm not talking about mistresses and mia nois, I'm talking about a wife.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was lucky I guess I am with a very hard working corporate girl. Very pretty Very smart So sometimes I ask myself why on earth is she with me .

It seems these very pretty, very smart corporate girls are a dime a dozen on TV. Everybody's got one. I just wonder why I never see you guys out in public.

Kudos to Berkshire for telling it like it is.

These ridiculous whoppers about farangs hooking up with the daughters of Thai upper crust/ inner circle families, or senior executives and professionals leave me with tears of laughter streaming down my cheeks, and make me slap my knees with both hands.

Unless you come from a blue-blood old wealth family, look like a young Brad Pitt, have been vetted within an inch of your life, and have an attache case stuffed full with character references and letters of introduction, your chances of getting into the same room as, (much less getting your grubby paws on) any of these women is next to nil. I am sure that there are many farangs running around out there who imagine that their Anglo-Saxon blood line would be a welcome addition to the family tree of any Thai family no matter how hoity-toity they might be. But the truth is that for most upper class Thai families, the thought of their daughter becoming romantically involved with a typical farang would be mortifying. A farang getting involved with such a girl against her parent's wishes would be lucky not to be found floating face down in the Chao Phraya river the next morning.

When you throw in the fact that the typical farang guy is: (1) looking for a much younger girlfriend/wife (something fairly uncommon in traditional Thai society); (2) not socially well-established in Thai circles, (3) has limited fluency in the Thai language and, (4) is here temporarily (at least initially), the number of venues to socially interact with Thai women begins to shrink considerably. With the ready availability of beer bars and other entertainment venues which cater to just such a clientele, it should come as little surprise that many, if not most, farang guy/Thai woman relationships which take root are incubated in these settings.

Just because you don't have what it takes to get near an "upper crust" Thai woman doesn't mean that there are those of us who haven't. We may be a select few but we do exist. Unlike the rest of you guys, I married my wife in the States but had to come here for business. Most of you guys come here with basically nothing or very little and that's why most of the more well-to-do Thai women don't give you the time of day. I met my wife when she was studying for her PHD and at her university almost every single one of her female Thai friends had an American boyfriend and was planning on getting married to an American.

Granted. You met your wife overseas, in a completely different setting. I was talking about the social environment over here, not worldwide. You're talking about Americanized Thais. As for your comments about not what having it takes to attract an upper crust Thai woman, I have advanced degrees too, pal. Get off your high horse.

Completely wrong, (1) the very highest levels of traditional Thai society want (and have) a younger gf/wife.

What are you talking about? When is the last time you saw a 50-60 year old Thai man walking down the street with a 20-30 old woman who is his wife? I'm not talking about mistresses and mia nois, I'm talking about a wife.
Actually notice more than a few....but unknown about the married part.... Edited by pgrahmm

I was lucky I guess I am with a very hard working corporate girl. Very pretty Very smart So sometimes I ask myself why on earth is she with me .

It seems these very pretty, very smart corporate girls are a dime a dozen on TV. Everybody's got one. I just wonder why I never see you guys out in public.

Kudos to Berkshire for telling it like it is.

These ridiculous whoppers about farangs hooking up with the daughters of Thai upper crust/ inner circle families, or senior executives and professionals leave me with tears of laughter streaming down my cheeks, and make me slap my knees with both hands.

Unless you come from a blue-blood old wealth family, look like a young Brad Pitt, have been vetted within an inch of your life, and have an attache case stuffed full with character references and letters of introduction, your chances of getting into the same room as, (much less getting your grubby paws on) any of these women is next to nil. I am sure that there are many farangs running around out there who imagine that their Anglo-Saxon blood line would be a welcome addition to the family tree of any Thai family no matter how hoity-toity they might be. But the truth is that for most upper class Thai families, the thought of their daughter becoming romantically involved with a typical farang would be mortifying. A farang getting involved with such a girl against her parent's wishes would be lucky not to be found floating face down in the Chao Phraya river the next morning.

Just because you don't have what it takes to get near an "upper crust" Thai woman doesn't mean that there are those of us who haven't. We may be a select few but we do exist. Unlike the rest of you guys, I married my wife in the States but had to come here for business. Most of you guys come here with basically nothing or very little and that's why most of the more well-to-do Thai women don't give you the time of day. I met my wife when she was studying for her PHD and at her university almost every single one of her female Thai friends had an American boyfriend and was planning on getting married to an American.

You're talking about a completely different environment. Americanized Thais living overseas vs the social environment over here.

As for your comments about not having what it takes, I have advanced degrees too, pal, and had a six figure salary before retiring here, so get off your high horse.

Actually notice more than a few....but unknown about the married part....

Don't think I've ever seen a single Thai/Thai couple fitting that description in over a decade living here. I'll check with my optometrist next week.

You can't understand Thai, but there is a one rather famous couple on Thai Tv News all the time, nearly every day.

Unlikely you will see that couple walking in the street.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I actually have 2 Thai employees who married women considerably younger than they are. One guy is a sales manager who is in his early 40s and he married a girl in her early 20s. She's a real hottie too. And the other guy is in his late 30s while his wife is in her early 20s. And she is also a hottie (and when I say "hottie" I mean it- I don't use the word lightly).

You can't understand Thai, but there is a one rather famous couple on Thai Tv News all the time, nearly every day.

Please don't presume about my fluency in Thai. I've studied the language for 20 years. Started in November '93. I'm talking in general terms. You can always dig out exceptions to the case. Every couple I can think of I've ever met is a fairly close together in age. The biggest age difference that I can think of seeing is maybe 10 years.

Please don't presume about my fluency in Thai. I've studied the language for 20 years. Started in November '93. I'm talking in general terms. You can always dig out exceptions to the case. Every couple I can think of I've ever met is a fairly close together in age. The biggest age difference that I can think of seeing is maybe 10 years.

They normally meet at a young age and stay together. Instead of leaving for a younger woman the man just stays and gets it on the side with his wife knowing but reluctantly accepting. Older Thai men never have old ladies for side sex ... Unless toothless farmers...

Sorry, I hadn't realized you were recently reincarnated.

Sorry, I hadn't realized you were recently reincarnated.

I started my study 10 years BEFORE moving here.

They normally meet at a young age and stay together. Instead of leaving for a younger woman the man just stays and gets it on the side with his wife knowing but reluctantly accepting. Older Thai men never have old ladies for side sex ... Unless toothless farmers...

Certainly. Have without doubt observed this pattern, but my post was about the desirability of an older farang for a younger never-been-married-before woman from a well-to-do background.

I know a few women that age. You'd be surprised at how young at heart and open minded they can be.

Amused by the suggestion that I never interact with any women. It's hilarious how confused you guys are by anyone who doesn't conform to your stereotype.

You do come across as gay.

Are you actually serious? Because anyone who doesn't fancy Thai women is gay?

There's a whole world outside your narrow conceptions.

The following post summarizes my views about guys who get involved with bar girls. It was originally made on another thread which was closed shortly thereafter for reasons unrelated to my post.

"95% of guys in Thailand - - 99% is probably closer to the truth -- met their Thai girlfriend/wife in a bar or some other "hospitality" venue and everyone - - farangs and Thais alike - - knows it. That's right, you heard what I said.

If anonymously pretending on this forum that this doesn't apply to you makes you feel better, knock yourself out, but you're not fooling anyone.

I really have to chuckle when I hear guys running around claiming 'she was a waitress, a housekeeper, a cashier, a receptionist or the concierge.' Or saying she 'worked at McDonald's, 7-11, the cologne counter at Paragon, or the farmer's market' in order to explain how they met their girlfriend or wife. If you just listened to these guys you might be forgiven for believing a beer bar was the last place on earth a farang might meet a Thai woman. The next time you run into someone spinning one of these yarns, pay attention to their eyes. Usually they're eagerly searching your eyes hoping to find clues that you're buying their story.

People need to get a grip. Your grandmother may politely tell you she believes these cock-and-bull stories, but they just don't fly over here. You're wasting your time trying to concoct these stories. No one believes you, and if you don't realize this, it's high time someone told you the truth!

Repeat after me: 'I fell in love with a bar girl and I'm not ashamed of it!' Now, tell me you don't feel better."

I know there are exceptions to this, but in the main, I believe this to be the truth.

I really don't want to play the "I didn't drop out of college card" but only a few years ago the mortality rate for women having babies in Thailand was quite high and it was normal for a man to have 2 or 3 younger wives as they died during childbirth.

Can anyone give me some advice as to where I can find a decent website that is basically for Westerners only? It would be nice to get information without having to deal with and be hassled by Thais who have very little understanding of the Western way of thinking.

There are Thai people here?

That would seem to be the case. Some of the crap that is said here about farang guys has to come from the Thai because why would a farang talk so negatively about another farang like that?

Because not all farang guys think like you.

I know a few women that age. You'd be surprised at how young at heart and open minded they can be.

Amused by the suggestion that I never interact with any women. It's hilarious how confused you guys are by anyone who doesn't conform to your stereotype.

I get it you're a priest.

• Like 1

I really don't want to play the "I didn't drop out of college card" but only a few years ago the mortality rate for women having babies in Thailand was quite high and it was normal for a man to have 2 or 3 younger wives as they died during childbirth.

Come on! A few years ago? More like 50 to 100 years ago.

Edited by Gecko123

Can anyone give me some advice as to where I can find a decent website that is basically for Westerners only? It would be nice to get information without having to deal with and be hassled by Thais who have very little understanding of the Western way of thinking.

There are Thai people here?

That would seem to be the case. Some of the crap that is said here about farang guys has to come from the Thai because why would a farang talk so negatively about another farang like that?

Because not all farang guys think like you.

I get it you're a priest.

Why?

Firstly, what is with you guys. You turn it into a bitching session.

Get over yourselves <deleted>.

Me? My girl comes from a loving family in Bangkok.

Chinese? Yes.

Hi-So? No.

As a previous poster commented, no farang here has a Hi-So girl.

If you think you do, PM me and we'll meet up (your girl in tow) and I'm sure I'll tell you you're full of shit.

The sweeping majority farang guy/Thai girl couples I do do see around town unfortunately are; Average Joe and his Issan sidekick.

Bugger all in common...he just took what he could get.

It's not an attraction to a Thai girl of ill repute, it's the best he could do.

Edited by Blackfox
  • Like 1

Who can be sure that some lovely western women in her late 20's or early 30's at some stage wasn't a hooker, (see the scenario below) ????

There are plenty of well educated Thai girls with respectable jobs, who resorted to "Hawk the Fork" to make ends meet from time to time, while they go to uni etc etc, so do they fall into the filthy bar tart category as well and how would you know if that had been the case ????

REALLY!?!?!?! - and how did you come across that snippet....or maybe you are saying that ALL Thai women are basically hookers?

It seems to me that you have a serious attitudinal adjustment problem when it comes to respecting women.

Chinese? Yes.

Hi-So? No.

If you think you do, PM me and we'll meet up (your girl in tow) and I'm sure I'll tell you you're full of shit.

The sweeping majority farang guy/Thai girl couples I do do see around town unfortunately are; Average Joe and his Issan sidekick.

" (your girl in tow)" - I guess that's how you treat your women? As a piece of evidence to drag around.

Of as with most people here the g/f (using the term loosely) wasn't a hooker, she was a CASHIER!

Come on! A few years ago? More like 50 to 100 years ago.

I think you should find out a bit more about Thailand; you'll avoid making ignorant comments like that.

Edited by wilcopops

Chinese? Yes.

Hi-So? No.

I'll stack any number of isaan girls from loving families against bangkok girls from loving families any day