Thai Irrigation Dept says this year's flood situation not too worrisome

webfact

Irrigation Department says this year's flood situation not too worrisome

BANGKOK, 9 September 2014 (NNT) – The Irrigation Department asserted on Monday the flood situation was not worrisome this year, although those living on lowlands would need to maintain caution against floods.

Irrigation Department officials said reservoirs located north of Bangkok are still able to take in at least another 50% of their capacities. However, lowland areas near the Chao Phraya River, namely Sena and Bangban districts of Ayutthaya and Bang Rakam and Phromphiram districts of Phitsanulok are currently flooded.

According to officials, this year's flood situation has been playing out in accordance with the prediction of the Irrigation Department.

In the meantime, spots deemed at risk of flooding include Mueang district in Phrae, areas near the Yom River in Sukhothai province, Sena district and Bangban district in Ayutthaya, and Kabinburi in Prachinburi province.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-09 footer_n.gif

For those in BKK; yes. Idiotic statement, to say the least!

I also recall the same being said in Aug 2011.

And suddenly 3 typhoons arose from the Philippines..... and all hell broke loose. Na, not too worrisome....... blink.png

• Like 2

And suddenly 3 typhoons arose from the Philippines..... and all hell broke loose. Na, not too worrisome....... blink.png

Tell that to the families of the 10 people who have already died.

I am sure that they will agree with you.

Irrigation chief assures Bangkok is safe from flood from northern water runoffs

9-9-2014-11-58-38-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok will be safe from flood as a result of water runoffs from the North but may be temporarily flooded in certain areas due to rains which fall on the city, Mr Lertviroj Kowattana, director-general of the Royal Irrigation Department, assured today.

He pointed out that the volume of water which kis being released from the Chao Phraya dam until now stands at 1,020 cubic metre/second which is less compared to last year’s volume mainly due to the fact that there are less water stored at the reservoirs behind the country’s major dams which still have enough capacities to store more water.

The priority of the major dams now is to keep as much water as possible for reserves to be used in the next dry season, he said, adding that the maximum volume of water flow at Nakhon Sawan province for the rest of the year should not exceed 2,000 cm/second which is the normal rate during the rainy season in September.

He assured that the water released through the Chao Phraya dam would not cause flooding in Bangkok but rains in the city itself might cause temporary flooding. However, he said that the Royal Irrigation Department had prepared water pumps in case parts of the city are flooded.

Meanwhile, a public hearing on water management will be held Wednesday. People living in Chao Phraya, Pasak, Sakae Krang and Thachin river basins are invited to attend to share their views on water management which will help the government draw up a water management blueprint.

(Photo : ThaiPBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/irrigation-chief-assures-bangkok-safe-flood-northern-water-runoffs/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-09

Looks like they're well prepared for any eventuality once again.

Photo taken yesterday at Khlong 5, approximately 200 metres from Rangsit Canal

post-66452-0-88302400-1410244845_thumb.j

• Like 2

What is worrisome is that this department has not got the foggiest idea of what they are doing.

Every year these clowns come out with the same old rhetoric about inclement weather and surprise storms and how hard they are trying to do as little as possible.

this announcement comes from The IRRIGATION BKK headquarters, 23 stories above the water engulfing all the others.

I think, gulp, gulp, t. that these ^%#*^&%$*^&%'s should take an elevator down to the river. What river ? Pick any of the 20 flooded provinces and , WALLAH a new river !

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

Thanks for that Woodsie - I live in khlong song! sad.png

Tell that to the families of the 10 people who have already died.

I am sure that they will agree with you.

Talkin' to me, or chewin' a brick?

Well, I'm envious, that's a much better looking crop of water hyacinth and other weeds, than we've got out here on Khlong 7.

Edited by ratcatcher

I must say, I'm not that comfortable with what I'm seeing. Maybe it's because exactly the same things are being said as were said in 2011.

The positive thing is the big dams quite low.

• Like 1

Not under a bridge I hope, DrLom? wink.png

Edited by ratcatcher

For me its not worry some as where i live in Thailand it only floods when they turn open the dams at the wrong time. This time there were fears that the dams would not hold enough water. So no worries here but I do feel for those people who get affected. However you cannot save it all so farmland that gets flooded should have less priority as homes. Plus if something gets flooded each and every year then maybe the government should buy out these people and relocate them keeping that land as a catchment base.

Now in the Netherlands we are not guaranteeing certain houses that are build on the wrong place, also we are giving more room for the water in flood planes. You just cant save it all even in a rich country as the Netherlands. Sometimes relocation is an valid option.

Khlong Sam looks fairly poxy too!

Well, I'm envious, that's a much better looking crop of water hyacinth and other weeds, than we've got out here on Khlong 7.

Different Tambon Ratcatcher, Your headman makes certain gets Khlong Jet kept a lot cleaner!

I'm in Lad Sawai about 100 metres from Khlong Ha and I think our Headman drives past it each day on the way to his office and thinks haha.

• Like 1

.......and what about the 9000 cubic metres of water PER SECOND.....that the Chinese are going to dump into the river system (Mekong/Chao Phrya))...(from a news report on TV yesterday)

That would be the one that started with "IF................."

Chao Phraya and Mekong are not connected AFAIK.

Edited by halloween

Different Tambon Ratcatcher, Your headman makes certain gets Khlong Jet kept a lot cleaner!

I'm in Lad Sawai about 100 metres from Khlong Ha and I think our Headman drives past it each day on the way to his office and thinks haha.

I think many of those guys use budgets for this kind of stuff otherwise and don't want to pay for it from the budget as they have stolen or used it for other stuff. I can't imagine that they have no budget for it or don't get money to do it.

Ah well that's ok then. I'm going to be flooded by rainfall and not by runoff. I was almost worried for a moment. Now i can get back to happiness safe in the knowledge that... gulg...gulg....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"reservoirs located north of Bangkok are still able to take in at least another 50% of their capacities."

I can confirm this statement, at least for one dam in Chiang Mai. I live 18 km from the Mae Kuang Dam. Rode my bike up there Sunday. The water level is still about 10 vertical meters from the spillway. That spillway was roaring in 2011.

Please see attached photo. It shows the water level inside the reservoir from a distance of about one kilometer. You can see a section of the dam clearly. The spillway is to the right of that section, a sort of a channel made of cement. The spillway, of course is slightly lower than the top of the dam.

post-137790-0-90113700-1410307481_thumb.

Edited by LawrenceN
  • Like 1