How many want to go back to the old corrupt days?

KhnomKhnom

I am watching the various crack downs and wonder if foreigners here, with a little more money than the poor, are now beginning to miss the system of "pay a little extra and get your problem solved faster." ?

Didn't we get to like, a little bit, the chance to PAY NOW and get matters DONE ? Here's a red one?

OOOOH, did I say all this ? wai.gif

Corruption for sure benefits myself as an expat.

For example, when I had a car accident head on with another car on the wrong side of the road. I was getting the blame - phone cal to my influential friend.

My father in law, going to jail for killing someone on his motorbike - police friend saved him.

Daughter getting into prestigious school - English mate who's married to the directors daughter.

Myself getting a mortgage - play tennis with the president of the bank.

Many more over the years I've been here. From paying a hundred baht to prevent going to a police station in central Bkk to helping my buddy get a favourable court decision during his divorce.

There are also some negatives though.

I like the system.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

Corruption and connection are two different whole entities.

Personnaly I have always opted for the second.

A bottle of Chivas and/or Blue Label, from time to time for helping services, never made fell as a part of a corrupt system.

Neither here nor in Indonesia...

• Like 1

So let me get this straight...

You think because of the crackdowns happening now that the system of "pay a little extra and get your problem solved faster" is dead and Gone?

Don't think so!...Its going to take a little more than a few crackdowns.

The crackdowns may be good for publicity but as time passes (unless the crackdowns continue) and constant pressure is applied, corruption and business as usual will continue.

So let me get this straight...

You think because of the crackdowns happening now that the system of "pay a little extra and get your problem solved faster" is dead and Gone?

Don't think so!...Its going to take a little more than a few crackdowns.

The crackdowns may be good for publicity but as time passes (unless the crackdowns continue) and constant pressure is applied, corruption and business as usual will continue.

The crackdowns are mostly all against the Generals' opposition or competitors and revenge for what the police/Taksin/red-shirts have done before to them. It's all a big power struggle that has been going on here for decades.

• Like 2

OP, as I belong to the "poor" category, I shouldn't get involved on this thread of yours.

But as I am tempted, as always am, I'll try to give my opinion.

Nothing has changed in Thailand and nothing will change for a long time to come.

Corruption, gifts and other offers will be in full force for the foreseeable future.

It's the way of life here and doesn't matter what the good PM is trying to achieve.

So don't worry people with money keep on behaving the way you are used to.

Nothing will change in your lifetime.

OP, care to explain what exactly has changed?

I can say with hand on heart that I haven't noticed, or had anything, affect my living here during the last 10 months or so.

The above said, the term "Who is watching the watchers" comes to mind. A shift in controlling influence would be the only thing I would expect in the short/mid term..............wink.png

Don't let some token gestures fool ya!

• Like 1

I can't say that I've ever been in a position or situation where I, personally, have had to cross palms with silver but I've taken advantage of certain goods and services that wider corruption in Thai society makes available to those in the market for them.

Really don't see anything changing.