Best optical/glasses shops in pattaya for repairs/purchases, update.

infinity11

The best one () is Euro Optic opposite the Garden Plaza Mall on the 2nd road.

Dr Maria Abalon there knows what she is doing.

But according to another forum posted 4x more expensive than other places.

Compared to who/what? the open-air shops on the markets? wink.png

I changed my lens this week at Euro Optic. (my myopia worsened sad.png)

Good lens with anti-glare, anti-scratch & anti-UV were 2'000 baht (for 2)

Similar lenses but photochromic 3'000 baht.

I also looked for ultra light tungsten frames : 2'190 baht

I got a quotation of 3'800 baht for simple lens in the optical shop 1st floor of Royal Garden !

This "4x more expensive than other places" seems just ridiculous.

They were concerned about and referring to the price I'm paying (mentioned on a similar thread recently). According to most of the experts on this forum, all pairs of glasses should cost exactly the same otherwise you're being ripped off. They're probably the same people who buy knock off Chanel and Louis Vuitton handbags, cubic zirconias etc. If it basically looks the same it must be the same.

Edited by tropo

When it comes to the costs of spectacles, it's the frames, special lenses and any lens treatments that rack up the prices. My criteria for what makes a good optician isn't what they sell, it's the skills of the optometrist they employ.

I had my eyes tested at Euro Optic for replacement lenses that the dog had chewed up. I think I was around 1500 baht using the existing frames. A few weeks later, I was in the UK and had my annual eye check at Vision Express. The prescription issued by Euro Optic after testing the 'old fashioned' way was identical to the one issued after 'high tech' testing in the UK. Therefore I have a whole lot of confidence in the abilities at Euro Optical.

How do I reconcile the high cost of frames in the opticians? I shop for them at many opticians and when I find a frame style I like, I make a note of the manufacturer and model and purchase online with inevitable savings. Then I take my new 'cheap' frames to the optician and get the lenses I need.

On other threads, some have done the whole frame and lens shopping online where they send their prescription details to the online vendor. However, since measuring the physical distances between ones eyes are part of the correct spectacle fitting procedure, I seriously doubt that one can be assured of getting a proper product doing it all online.

• Like 2

In other threads, some have done the whole frame and lens shopping online where they send their prescription details to the online vendor.

However, since measuring the physical distances between ones eyes are part of the correct spectacle fitting procedure,

I seriously doubt that one can be assured of getting a proper product doing it all online.

Hi. This Pupillary Distance (PD) is not something that changes (or rather few & rather slowly?).

Mine is 32|32 and, even if a few time I got a 32|31, it never changed in 30 years

BTW this PD is one of data written on the prescription I got from Euro Optic,

so no problem if I choose to order new cheap spectacles online at Zenni Optical smile.png

• Like 1

The best one () is Euro Optic opposite the Garden Plaza Mall on the 2nd road.

Dr Maria Abalon there knows what she is doing.

But according to another forum posted 4x more expensive than other places.

Compared to who/what? the open-air shops on the markets? wink.png

I changed my lens this week at Euro Optic. (my myopia worsened sad.png)

Good lens with anti-glare, anti-scratch & anti-UV were 2'000 baht (for 2)

Similar lenses but photochromic 3'000 baht.

I also looked for ultra light tungsten frames : 2'190 baht

I got a quotation of 3'800 baht for simple lens in the optical shop 1st floor of Royal Garden !

This "4x more expensive than other places" seems just ridiculous.

They were concerned about and referring to the price I'm paying (mentioned on a similar thread recently). According to most of the experts on this forum, all pairs of glasses should cost exactly the same otherwise you're being ripped off. They're probably the same people who buy knock off Chanel and Louis Vuitton handbags, cubic zirconias etc. If it basically looks the same it must be the same.

In fact lenses have fixed prices in Thailand.

If you will look at the price list from Hoya, Essilor or whatever brand at any shop in Thailand, they will show you the exact same price for each type of lens.

Some shops however give more discount on that price than others, and there are some who don't give discount or even have their own pricelist with increased quotes. The retail chain with many franchises is a good example of the latter practice.

Edited by TheCruncher

In other threads, some have done the whole frame and lens shopping online where they send their prescription details to the online vendor.

However, since measuring the physical distances between ones eyes are part of the correct spectacle fitting procedure,

I seriously doubt that one can be assured of getting a proper product doing it all online.

Hi. This Pupillary Distance (PD) is not something that changes (or rather few & rather slowly?).

Mine is 32|32 and, even if a few time I got a 32|31, it never changed in 30 years

BTW this PD is one of data written on the prescription I got from Euro Optic,

so no problem if I choose to order new cheap spectacles online at Zenni Optical smile.png

That's a good point since PD changes should be negligible. However, I am old fashioned I guess and like having someone check it for me rather than rely on a nameless tech in a glasses mill reading the numbers right. Plus there's always those little adjustments for a better fit that they have the right tools for at the shop versus one trying to mangle the frames with water pump pliers and vice grips!

All I want is to go to a shop ( 50% off at times for frames, this particular shop) do a decent and guaranteed ,fitting and testing,and that is what I got,and it was at least half the price as to the Euro glasses place, did try there before First Optic,and was not impressed

First Optic guy did look over the lenses of competitors I was having trouble with, I sent them back and new lenses issued. Could not thank that guy in First Optic enough (did too ,few 100 baht)

• Like 1

All I want is to go to a shop ( 50% off at times for frames, this particular shop) do a decent and guaranteed ,fitting and testing,and that is what I got,and it was at least half the price as to the Euro glasses place, did try there before First Optic,and was not impressed

First Optic guy did look over the lenses of competitors I was having trouble with, I sent them back and new lenses issued. Could not thank that guy in First Optic enough (did too ,few 100 baht)

Alright already loppy. Nobody is saying First Optic do bad work. There's only you carping on about how Euro Optic didn't fit you budget. Both shops seem to be good choices for the product they deliver so as they say around here, "Up to you."

PS. Never felt the need to tip an optician before.

• Like 1

Alright already loppy. Nobody is saying First Optic do bad work. There's only you carping on about how Euro Optic didn't fit you budget. Both shops seem to be good choices for the product they deliver so as they say around here, "Up to you."

PS. Never felt the need to tip an optician before.

Was not tipping,just showing appreciation for what after all was of no benefit to him,fact is I may well have ordered a pair off him there and then if the error was not highlighted,thats is one honest guy

Unless you are in the market for expensive (270 baht/ $9 USD) reading glasses that cost $5 USD in the USA or a jug of contact lens solution STAY AWAY from Top Charoen.

It's like going into McDonald's and expecting a nice hamburger = It ain't gonna happen.

The staff at numerous ones I've been to just stand around & have zero interest in the customers aside from a fake smile & a promise to call you later......which never happens.

• Like 1

Unless you are in the market for expensive (270 baht/ $9 USD) reading glasses that cost $5 USD in the USA or a jug of contact lens solution STAY AWAY from Top Charoen.

It's like going into McDonald's and expecting a nice hamburger = It ain't gonna happen.

The staff at numerous ones I've been to just stand around & have zero interest in the customers aside from a fake smile & a promise to call you later......which never happens.

I echo your comments re Charoen, only used them once, because I didn't know any better. They will only show you expensive frames and it isn't until you've paid (5000 baht in my case) that you find out that much cheaper frames are available. Never again.

• Like 2

I echo your comments re Charoen, only used them once, because I didn't know any better. They will only show you expensive frames and it isn't until you've paid (5000 baht in my case) that you find out that much cheaper frames are available. Never again.

They probably did you a big favour selling you the (more) expensive frames.

They probably did you a big favour selling you the (more) expensive frames.

Good, which sometimes means expensive, frames are worth it in the end. I've got the same Porsche Design frames I bought some 8-9 years ago and they've been through the ringer, with numerous re-straightenings and lens replacements. Still good as original and best frames I've ever worn in 40 years of wearing glasses.

Re the comment about "only showing you expensive frames." That is the supreme retail practice at all Thai shops, supermarkets and department stores when a farang comes in. Robinson clerks will always show you the most expensive towels and linens. A computer shop will always show the farang the most expensive wi-fi router. Or the savvy waitress will always point out "we hab steak." Etc. I always head them off by saying "want cheap". Then I move up from there.

• 4 weeks later...

Loppy Lugs,

Thanks for your advice, I went to First Optical yesterday and the guy is very knowledgeable and I have ordered a pair of specs with progressive lenses.

First Optic is the name of the shop you are referring to. Great service, great prices.\

All this guy has to do is try a few of the suggestions,he will undoubtedly be disappointed on price and service,the girls it the top whatever are only good at showing their arse through the tight fitting pants ,Euro whatever will sting you 5 times over for a service a one man outfit who is excellent in eye testing service quality and after sales all at no cost try option 5

I will guarantee it with free spectacles

Thats the guy,he puts ALL the other places to shame

Don't go to any of the chain shops like Charoen. The best one (and only decent one i've found) is Euro Optic opposite the Garden Plaza Mall on the 2nd road. Dr Maria Abalon there knows what she is doing.

The good Dr. spent over an hour during 2 visits to explain what was happening to my eyes. She replaced the lenses in two pairs of my glasses gratis to correct my sight before making up my new ones. No money upfront for that part. The last pair I got just before going home on my last trip from Charoen put a strain on my eyes. Some things you should not go cheap on. Wrong glasses will harm your eyes. Still a fraction of what I would pay back home for this quality of product and consultation from a doctor.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to thank all the folks who pointed me to First Optics. Had to replace my lenses only because they were so scratched up in just only about 8 months service. Can't remember ever replacing lenses so fast.

He told me of very decent 800 baht lenses and another pair for double the price that were superior, especially for my type of frames, which have a nylon cord securing the lenses to the frames. He wasn't sure he could get the lenses today (Wednesday, a holiday of some sort) but called a "friend" to see. Yes, he could get the ones I needed for my correction and astigmatism. 1 hour, 15 minutes later he called me and I handed him 1700 baht. Perfect.

The ones I got last winter were 2500 baht. I was curious so I asked about the quality of my old lenses. The man in the First Optic shop said they were good lenses. But here's First Optic discounting the 2200 baht price to 1700 for superior lenses. I hope.

Anyway, the fellow, who I assume was the owner, was very careful measuring my previous lenses to match the correction and other numbers. So for a total of 90 minutes, I felt I got great service for a reasonable price. I just have no confidence in ordering such things online, especially if there's an error or poor craftsmanship.

I found previous directions to the First Optics shop confusing. If you run southbound along Third Road, past Pattaya Tai, round the bend, turn right at the traffic lights (the end of Second Road 16). The shop is about 100 metres down that soi on the left. Another way is coming from Second Road, turn onto Pattaya Second Road 16, which runs to Third Road and sort of behind Tukcom, then the shop is on your right.

I'd read the posts recommending Euro Optic shop opposite Royal Garden Plaza and decided to get new lenses for my reading glasses there. My eyesight had changed and the old ones were no longer good for reading text on a computer monitor. The lady with Filipino accent who works in the shop checked my eyesight, wrote down the measurements, and quoted 2000B for new lenses. However, the new specs did not differ much from the specs of my old glasses so I was a bit surprised. She pushed rather agressively to me the idea of ordering progressive lenses which cost double the price of ordinary ones. She told me that my discomfort with the old glasses was not so much because my eyesight had changed but because it strained my eyes to frequently refocus from computer screen to objects nearer at hand and progressive lenses would help with that. I declined the offer and ordered ordinary lenses which she told me she would have to order from Bangkok and it would take 2 days (!) to get. 3 days later I had me glasses with new lenses back. Went home in pleasant anticipation but was disappointed when discovered that the new lenses were just as bad as the old ones and my eyes still strained to read text on the monitor.

The next day I went to Eyelab on the 2nd floor of Royal Garden Plaza. There I was quote 1500B for new lenses (also with anti-glare coating) and only 30 min wait to get them as they were made on the spot. I decided not to go back to the EuroOptic and sort out the issue with the Filipino lady as she would probably charge me again for a new set and I would have to wait 2 days to get them. The optometrist at the Eyelab checked my eyesight and found that it had indeed changed a lot. The specs he got were if much stronger magnification and no cylindrical adjustment, so quite different from those at EuroOptic. No idea how the two optometrists could get such different measurements for the same eyes. Anyway, I ordered the lenses from Eyelab and got them in 30 min. Tested them at home and they were just perfect.

The conclusion. EuroOptic lenses cost more than Eyelab ones, take 2 days to make, and one cannot trust the eyesight check there. The Eyelab makes them in 30 min and their eyesight check is spot on. BTW, a few years ago I used the Eyelab shop at the Big C North Pattaya and was quite pleased with their service too.

• Like 2

I'd read the posts recommending Euro Optic shop opposite Royal Garden Plaza and decided to get new lenses for my reading glasses there. My eyesight had changed and the old ones were no longer good for reading text on a computer monitor. The lady with Filipino accent who works in the shop checked my eyesight, wrote down the measurements, and quoted 2000B for new lenses. However, the new specs did not differ much from the specs of my old glasses so I was a bit surprised. She pushed rather agressively to me the idea of ordering progressive lenses which cost double the price of ordinary ones. She told me that my discomfort with the old glasses was not so much because my eyesight had changed but because it strained my eyes to frequently refocus from computer screen to objects nearer at hand and progressive lenses would help with that. I declined the offer and ordered ordinary lenses which she told me she would have to order from Bangkok and it would take 2 days (!) to get. 3 days later I had me glasses with new lenses back. Went home in pleasant anticipation but was disappointed when discovered that the new lenses were just as bad as the old ones and my eyes still strained to read text on the monitor.

The next day I went to Eyelab on the 2nd floor of Royal Garden Plaza. There I was quote 1500B for new lenses (also with anti-glare coating) and only 30 min wait to get them as they were made on the spot. I decided not to go back to the EuroOptic and sort out the issue with the Filipino lady as she would probably charge me again for a new set and I would have to wait 2 days to get them. The optometrist at the Eyelab checked my eyesight and found that it had indeed changed a lot. The specs he got were if much stronger magnification and no cylindrical adjustment, so quite different from those at EuroOptic. No idea how the two optometrists could get such different measurements for the same eyes. Anyway, I ordered the lenses from Eyelab and got them in 30 min. Tested them at home and they were just perfect.

The conclusion. EuroOptic lenses cost more than Eyelab ones, take 2 days to make, and one cannot trust the eyesight check there. The Eyelab makes them in 30 min and their eyesight check is spot on. BTW, a few years ago I used the Eyelab shop at the Big C North Pattaya and was quite pleased with their service too.

Well done. You wasted 2000 baht as the Filipino lady, the owner of the shop, would have changed them for you free of charge. She would have quite happily refunded you the money even if you insisted.

She'll bend over backwards to assure her customers are happy.

One can trust the eye check there as satisfaction is guaranteed, but instead of giving her a chance you decided to come on here to make many very negative comments which are actually bordering on defamation.

And she is not aggressive in the slightest - that is absolute nonsense. Progressive lenses are a very good idea and that was a good suggestion. Computer reading and near print reading are not the same.

• Like 1

Well done. You wasted 2000 baht as the Filipino lady, the owner of the shop, would have changed them for you free of charge. She would have quite happily refunded you the money even if you insisted.

One can trust the eye check there as satisfaction is guaranteed, but instead of giving her a chance you decided to come on here to make many very negative comments which are actually bordering on defamation.

And she is not aggressive in the slightest - that is absolute nonsense. Progressive lenses are a very good idea and that was a good suggestion. Computer reading and near print reading are not the same.

One can trust the eye check there as satisfaction is guaranteed,

That seems to be incorrect according to Sojourner's post.

Read it again. He didn't go back. Instead he came on here making libelous accusations. He even went as far as saying that if he went back she'd likely charge him again.

If he'd gone back and complained she would have either replaced the lenses or given him a refund. That's what a satisfaction guarantee is.

In the end he was the fool because he wasted his 2000 baht, which obviously means a lot to him as he considers 1500 baht at Eyelab a lot cheaper than 2000 baht at Euro Optic, with no reference to lens quality at all... suggesting that all lenses are the same and should be priced the same.

It's not too late however. He could go back and have them redone at Euro Optic and then come back here and retract his comments - and have an extra pair of glasses.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Read it again. He didn't go back. Instead he came on here making libelous accusations. He even went as far as saying that if he went back she'd likely charge him again.

If he'd gone back and complained she would have either replaced the lenses or given him a refund. That's what a satisfaction guarantee is.

In the end he was the fool because he wasted his 2000 baht, which obviously means a lot to him as he considers 1500 baht at Eyelab a lot cheaper than 2000 baht at Euro Optic, with no reference to lens quality at all... suggesting that all lenses are the same and should be priced the same.

It's not too late however. He could go back and have them redone at Euro Optic and then come back here and retract his comments - and have an extra pair of glasses.

In my book, if the eye check was trustable and satisfactory, he would have received the right prescription.

Read it again, he said that the eye test result showed little difference with his previous lenses.

Now about your comment that all lenses are the same and should be priced the same.

I purchased new goggles mid October and had a prescription. I went to at least 10 shops between Pattaya and Chonburi and asked for the same type Hoya lens with obvious the same prescription, and First Optic was 18.5% cheaper than the cheapest other shop and almost 30% compared to the deerest shop.

This was for the exact same lenses.

Edited by Anthony5

In my book, if the eye check was trustable and satisfactory, he would have received the right prescription.

Read it again, he said that the eye test result showed little difference with his previous lenses.

Now about your comment that all lenses are the same and should be priced the same.

I purchased new goggles mid October and had a prescription. I went to at least 10 shops between Pattaya and Chonburi and asked for the same type Hoya lens with obvious the same prescription, and First Optic was 18.5% cheaper than the cheapest other shop and almost 30% compared to the deerest shop.

I know exactly what he posted. Euro Optic guarantees satisfaction. What part of that do you not understand? I've never had a problem with eye test results there and I'm typing this post using their lenses and I'm very satisfied.

Now seeing that you're defending the OP. did you have an eye test at Euro Optic?

As a wearer of spectacles have you ever heard of good and bad eye days? They can vary from day to day for many reasons.

If I was not happy with the lenses provided by Euro Optic I'd know before I left the shop. I check the lenses very carefully, reading available printed material, computer screens (in the shop), walk around the shop and outside. I wouldn't have to go away and then complain. I would state the problem immediately and have it rectified. I thought all people did this with new lenses.

I know exactly what he posted. Euro Optic guarantees satisfaction. What part of that do you not understand? I've never had a problem with eye test results there and I'm typing this post using their lenses and I'm very satisfied.

Now seeing that you're defending the OP. did you have an eye test at Euro Optic?

As a wearer of spectacles have you ever heard of good and bad eye days? They can vary from day to day for many reasons.

If I was not happy with the lenses provided by Euro Optic I'd know before I left the shop. I check the lenses very carefully, reading available printed material, computer screens (in the shop), walk around the shop and outside. I wouldn't have to go away and then complain. I would state the problem immediately and have it rectified. I thought all people did this with new lenses.

I'm not defending anyone, i only posted my experience regarding pricing of identical lenses, and my understanding of the word trustable.

There is only one in this thread defending a Fillipino optician through tick and thin. has it something to do with the fact that your wife is a Filipino and that you consider all of them better than Thais?

n

I'm not defending anyone, i only posted my experience regarding pricing of identical lenses, and my understanding of the word trustable.

There is only one in this thread defending a Fillipino optician through tick and thin. has it something to do with the fact that your wife is a Filipino and that you consider all of them better than Thais?

I sense there is something phony going on here. The filipina eye doctor at Euro made 3 pairs for me and they were better than those I have gotten in Canada. Two pair were replacement lenses to correct my vision from going without glasses for awhile. She made these at no charge and with no commitment from me to buy new glasses. Over 3 visits she spent at least 90 minutes consulting with me on what was going on with my eyesight. She has been in business there 18 years. My experience was so different as are all the other recommendations on TV about this lady that I call BS on this bogis story.

• Thanks 1

I sense there is something phony going on here. The filipina eye doctor at Euro made 3 pairs for me and they were better than those I have gotten in Canada. Two pair were replacement lenses to correct my vision from going without glasses for awhile. She made these at no charge and with no commitment from me to buy new glasses. Over 3 visits she spent at least 90 minutes consulting with me on what was going on with my eyesight. She has been in business there 18 years. My experience was so different as are all the other recommendations on TV about this lady that I call BS on this bogis story.

So you say that Euro optic made two pair of eyeglasses free of charge, without any commitment, and you dare to say that something bogus is going on if we don't agree with that?

I have a bridge for sale in case you're looking for a solid investment.

• Like 1

I'm giving some good advice on here mate. I said he can go back and get the glasses fixed if he is not happy with them. I'm so sure about that I would guarantee the 2000 baht myself.

I don't need to hear nonsense that because my wife is Filipino I would defend 100 million Filipinos through "tick and thin"... any more that I would defend 66 million Thais. Maria has been in business in Pattaya for 14 years and runs an outstanding business and deserves some respect no matter what her nationality. When I first went there I had no idea the owner was Filipino. I went there on the back of good reports on this forum.

One anonymous person's accusation don't prove anything. There has been a lot of talk about Euro Optic's prices, but there hasn't been any valid complaints about her prescriptions, but it doesn't matter as she will guarantee her prescriptions.

There's more to this story and when I get back to Thailand in January I will find out what's missing.

Edited by tropo

• 5 years later...