Thailand's suicide cases jump almost 4,000 last year

webfact

Thailand's suicide cases jump almost 4,000 last year

----------------------------21-wpcf_728x

BANGKOK: -- One Thai people takes own life in every two hours last year, the Ministry of Public Health’s study of suicide statistics in Thailand revealed today.

Mental Health department director-general Dr Jessada Chokdamrongsuk said that statistics revealed more than 3,900 Thais committed suicide in 2013.

This showed that 328 people took their lives per month or one in every two hours, he said.

He said that Lamphun province had the highest number of recorded cases, while the lowest recorded number was Pattani province.

Hanging has been found to be the most common method of suicide in Thailand, followed by pesticide poisoning and the use of a gun, he said.

The study found that those who have committed suicide had problems with communication, family relationships, economics or chronic illnesses, while alcohol consumption multiplied the chance of self destruction, by a factor of 2.4.

In order to dissuade anyone from committing suicide, Dr. Jessada said that boosting social bonds or family relationships through genuine affection is the best approach.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailands-suicide-cases-jump-almost-4000-last-year/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-10

I feel sorry for the people that took their own lives.

And that is because of mental health, stress or bad relationships.

But I am contributing in what Dr. Jessadan said.

In order to dissuade anyone from committing suicide, boosting social bonds or family relationships through genuine affection is the best approach.

I always approach young ladies with the outmost and genuine affection.

I hope these ladies appreciate my services.

• Like 1

You can't trust any official information in Thailand.

I know that in the South, if someone gets murdered then they simply claim it was insurgents. The family get money from the government and the police don't have to investigate.

The more I learn about this place, the less I believe.

Thailand #65 of 109 listed countries, lower rate than almost all European countries, and the US... if you believe the statistics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Beat me to it.

No new world hub, then.

Maybe they should include a a good few of the road fatalities, but I suppose they distinguish between intentional suicide and unintentional suicide.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

I would like to know the proportion Male/Female in these numbers...

My speculation is more Females than Males (?)

I was asking...

It is, however VERY sad indeed to see,

How many people cannot face/deal with the life... Maybe because of lack of affection and guidance, education..?

Tragic it is!

Edited by Pesche

90% are put down to suicide for an easy day at work. Still amazes me years back when a gay tied his hands behind his back, but managed to stab himself multiple times before throwing himself off the balcony. Not a clue full stop.

So sad suicide seems to affect a lot of people it is such a silent killer. There should be more of an awareness on suicide and you would find most of the time to stop people from taking there own life all it takes is for someone to notice

someone around you that is feeling down or out of character to just talk to them and make them feel that you care or that someone is listening no matter how trivial it may sound, Yes I know it's hard to pinpoint someone that may want to take his own life but we can try.

Edited by Eli1

I would like to know the proportion Male/Female in these numbers...

My speculation is more Females than Males (?)

I was asking...

As usual Wiki comes up with the goods and you are wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Seems universal, more males successfully dispatch themselves than females. In Thailand roughly 4 males to 1 female.

Doubtless there are many studies into this. The Internet is there for you to do your own research.

I enjoy reading this forum, because people generally have a somewhat "ok" sense of humour, but clearly, people don't understand or have ever lost anyone to suicide if they can make jokes about this topic.

Suicide is an absolutely preventable problem. Temporal displacement, if you can guide someone through the short time that ideation thoughts are present, they will survive.

Family relationship problems in Thailand are incredible, I know many young girls who are put under family pressure to provide money to the family and when they can't provide it, they think the easiest thing to do is to take their own life

I have been into a hospital in Thailand a couple of times and I find the medical treatment excellent. Mental health is under funded and misunderstood in my country, I'm not sure how well it is handled in Thailand. I hope we as a global community find a solution to this terrible problem soon.

RIP to all those people who have been taken from us by this tragic problem

Edited by RareDingo
  • Like 1