Got my thai drivers license today ....

Jinjo14

when i went recently, the reflex machine was broken, no colour blindness test.

the depth perception machine is confusing. until i worked out that one peg is stationary and the other has to be moved next to it..

all in all a very high tech experience.

• Like 1

I got a one year driving license based on my UK license last December.

I needed a medical certificate and certificate of residence which I got from immigration.

I did no tests at all, I just handed over the paperwork and they came out with a new driving license about 10 minutes later.

• Like 1

I needed a medical certificate and certificate of residence which I got from immigration.

I did no tests at all, I just handed over the paperwork and they came out with a new driving license about 10 minutes later.

Where was that at?

Where was that at?

Just outside Cha Am

I enjoy the land office here - especially compared with the California DMV experience.......

Yeah, among them, in my opinion, the absolute worst one is DMV at downtown L.A. Even with an appointment, they still make you wait for eternity.

If you go to Land and Transport in Bangkok make sure to go there late, around 15.00. Latest time to hand in your documents is 15.30. Then there is almost no people there and getting the driving license is done within the hour. If you go there early around opening or before lunch you may need to stay until 14.00-15.00 mostly waiting in hue for tests, que for photo

As a swede I presented,

Copy of Driving License (And a translation to English from the embassy since I had no international translation)

Copy of work permit

Copy of Visa

Doctor certificate, a 50 baht one is good,

Got two different licenses one for Car one for Bike.

First time one year validity, and after one year 5 year.

Colour blind test in English, and no problem with English in the other tests also. (If the light i greenish, then it is yellow. My friend mistook Yellow for green until he saw the green that is really green.)

Reaction test.

Depth perception test, with two buttons, first you have to un-align them, move stick back or forward until aligned. (Tip, when/if you un-align them, press back button for 3 sec, and then forward the same time and they are back aligned again ;)

Colour seeing test peripheral vision, look at a yellow dot in front of you and say what colour that gets lit on the sides.

Simple easy, and fast in the afternoon.

Edited by Eaglekott

Goodness me, all those physical tests, and nothing about road rules. No wonder Thailand has one of the highest accident rates. (250 / 100 000 km compared to say Aust with 7 / 100 000 km )

If you have a foreign Driving License you do not need to do the test for road rules, but if you do not have a DL since before you have to do a theoretical test, and a driving test.

For me Thailand has harder rules to extend your driving license then Sweden. In Sweden you send in a new picture and your signature and you get your new DL. Here you have to do the physical test to have your license renewed. If you fail the tests, -no driving license.

In Sweden we often see old men out driving, that can barley see to the steering wheel, and probably with a reaction time of 5 minutes...

BTW not all foreign DL is acceptable for a change into Thai. Ministry of Land and Transport has a list of countries from which the DL is accepted.

Edited by Eaglekott

was your foreign driving licence the national one (i.e. only in your own language) or an international one?

You need a native DL in english, or you need an international translation to english, or a translation from your embassy or accredited translation company into english (or Thai)

Who wants to drive in T'land? The DL can get you a discount at the golf course, other places.

If you have one you do not need to carry your passport all the time. I rather loose a Thai DL than my passport. And it is great every time you need to identify yourself.

Also if you rent a moped on, lets say Koh Chang, the insurance actually work. With out a Thai DL, insurance might be void in case of an accident.

And I drive a lot in Bangkok ;) I like it.

Edited by Eaglekott

Interesting to read this and I’m grateful to the OP. As he said that he had already been driving in LOS for a year, I’m assuming that there is a period of grace in which one can drive on one’s DL from country of origin. Am I right about that?

I’m coming to Thailand next month on a non O visa, with the intension of applying of an extension on retirement. I have a British license and I’m hopeful that I can get driving straight away.

I am in agreement with having to have a medical certificate. I once witnessed an old man drive straight through a level crossing barrier into the side of a train! He was 75 years old and clearly not with it.

was your foreign driving licence the national one (i.e. only in your own language) or an international one?

The national one :) but permits me to drive within Europe ... I just went to ask what's needed as live near and with copies of documents I had in car (from applying for extension last month) I got it there and then !

Interesting to read this and I’m grateful to the OP. As he said that he had already been driving in LOS for a year, I’m assuming that there is a period of grace in which one can drive on one’s DL from country of origin. Am I right about that?

I’m coming to Thailand next month on a non O visa, with the intension of applying of an extension on retirement. I have a British license and I’m hopeful that I can get driving straight away.

I am in agreement with having to have a medical certificate. I once witnessed an old man drive straight through a level crossing barrier into the side of a train! He was 75 years old and clearly not with it.

Yes you can drive in Thailand for one year on your european driving license, probably longer, BUT... you can NOT rely on that the insurance is valid. The fine print in almost every rental agreement or insurance for a car or bike probably states the you must have a valid Thai driving license for the insurance to be valid.

• Like 1

I was told to sit in the dmv office for 4 hours and of course with the necessary paperwork incl work permit.

It seems to me that each office makes up its own rules, as usual.

For prove of address i have to make a far trip to bangkok to the embassy.

The only good drivers seem to be farangs. Why make it so hard on us ? Gr......

Yes you can drive in Thailand for one year on your european driving license, probably longer, BUT... you can NOT rely on that the insurance is valid. The fine print in almost every rental agreement or insurance for a car or bike probably states the you must have a valid Thai driving license for the insurance to be valid.

Thanks for tip, especially the advise about insurance. I've hired cars in many different countries over the years using my UK licence and never had any issues regarding insurance cover. But I will look closely at this aspect before I buy or hire.