Topic for discounted imported food items: good idea or too much cheap charlie?

robertmueller

What amuses me, and offends some people when I speak of my amusement, is just the very notion of grown men not only going to the trouble of, for example, traipsing across town to save a baht or two on a tray eggs but then going to the trouble of going online to tell everyone. It amuses me because, having been brought up in a tough, poor, working class town, then I'm only used to old women chatting over the garden fence about such matters and men only concerning themselves with the price of a packet of smokes and a pint of ale. Sure, some guys here, because of falling exchange rates or being on a fixed pension, need to watch what they spend and may have to search out cheaper cuts, but as a conversation topic, well, you're always in danger of sounding like an old woman. Am I wrong? Maybe, but don't take it so much to heart guys, I can't help it, that's how I see it and it makes me chuckle, no more.

When marriage was the norm, the women did all the shopping.

Now divorce is the norm, men do their own shopping.

Men haven't turned into old women, they have turned into single men.

Is that so hard to understand?

PS

Tesco Duchie Yogurt 4 packs (7 berry, 7 fruit), normally 57bht for a pack of 4

Reduced to 2 packs for 89bht including free microwave container with each pack.

You almost got it right. Men haven't turned into old women , they have turned into single men, acting like old women. Which most people , I imagine, think is funny. I don't look down on them, as some suggested, I simply find it funny. I imagine that the only people offended by that are the sensitive souls amongst the people I'm talking about. If I were talking like an old woman, and someone told me about it, I'd probably laugh about it.

Worgeordie, Cheap Charlie's, who are different people all together, I don't find funny, because they are miserable, moaning, complaining tight-orifices that are an embarrassment to themselves, their compatriots and very often their friends and partners. More to be pitied than censured. If you still don't get it, never mind.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe just enjoys looking down on people. Take it as a good thing that you're not on a level with him.

Razor blades. I was always on the Gillette Vectors since my arrival in Thailand. Was always 85-90B at Big C for 4 blades. Now its 120B. I'm on my last blade and not paying that! Anyone got a reasonable alternative sub 100B?

Naboo,

I use to be a schick razor user then switched to Gillette partially cause the blades were cheaper and better quality. However for the last 3 months I have been using Bic Precision razor and blades. Initially I scoffed at Bic as they seemed just too cheap to be any good. Although they are only a 3 blade system I have been rather surprised at their ability to do the job without cutting your face to bits.

These razors and cartridges are still available at Tescos. The initial set up of 1 Razor with 3 cartridges was/is just 75 baht, where as a 4 pack of cartridges is only 69 baht. Ive mentioned this to a few mates and they too have switched bands, mainly die to the cost savings. Sure they arent as smooth a shave as other big brands but they do the trick.

And at that price what have you got to lose? Gd Luckwai2.gif

Joe just enjoys looking down on people. Take it as a good thing that you're not on a level with him.

Razor blades. I was always on the Gillette Vectors since my arrival in Thailand. Was always 85-90B at Big C for 4 blades. Now its 120B. I'm on my last blade and not paying that! Anyone got a reasonable alternative sub 100B?

Naboo,

I use to be a schick razor user then switched to Gillette partially cause the blades were cheaper and better quality. However for the last 3 months I have been using Bic Precision razor and blades. Initially I scoffed at Bic as they seemed just too cheap to be any good. Although they are only a 3 blade system I have been rather surprised at their ability to do the job without cutting your face to bits.

These razors and cartridges are still available at Tescos. The initial set up of 1 Razor with 3 cartridges was/is just 75 baht, where as a 4 pack of cartridges is only 69 baht. Ive mentioned this to a few mates and they too have switched bands, mainly die to the cost savings. Sure they arent as smooth a shave as other big brands but they do the trick.

And at that price what have you got to lose? Gd Luckwai2.gif

Worth a try. All we need now is a reasonably priced source of good quality shaving foam.

Tesco just cut their dividends 75%, and were practically laughed out of the US, with heavy losses. WalMart has also been faltering, with many store closings expected. Both just became too big, and too complacent. The trend in the US is for people to go to "Dollar Stores." Jim Cramer on CNBC sets some analyst straight the other day, who had claimed the Dollar stores were simply for poor people. Actually, some very wealthy people shop there and it has almost become a social event. Most wealth in America is new money....they didn't get wealthy squandering money. Saving is instinctive to most self made millionaires. For those of us on retirement extensions, we can't work here, so what's wrong with putting a little energy into saving money and keeping our host honest?

Joe has beat this egg thing into a souffle......eggs rank 8th as a global protein source, so their prices can give good insight into food price trends. Finding a place that actually handles them well, is also useful information. Never heard anyone order their eggs at Denny's "slow cooked for four days at 32c."

I'm not from a "poor, tough, small town." I'm from a tough, highly educated suburban area, that is one of the wealthiest areas on the planet. People still count their change, and scrutinize their bills. Costco, a warehouse store, which is the low price leader for quality items is mobbed on the weekends, and as a result the other grocery chains have been force to compete.

Edited by Thighlander

Try Tesco for this too (Shaving foam that is).... product is called Barbasol. Made in the USA from what the can says. Its a 283gm or 10oz can. Im still on my first can after 2 months. Lots of pressure in the can so you get good foam and not a sputtering damn mess. If memory serves me right its just 129 baht.

Edited by CMKiwi

Try Tesco for this too (Shaving foam that is).... product is called Barbasol. Made in the USA from what the can says. Its a 283gm or 10oz can. Im still on my first can after 2 months. Lots of pressure in the can so you get good foam and not a sputtering damn mess. If memory serves me right its just 129 baht.

I came with two, 170 gram cans in early February. Got 6 months out of the first one. Barbasol "soothing aloe." 32 thb per can in the US, and the "Dollar Stores" sell the 10 oz. for 32 thb, also....I went with smaller for the long flights. So yeah, it's 300% more in Thailand.....can't imagine why anyone would want to shop around.

I came with two, 170 gram cans in early February. Got 6 months out of the first one. Barbasol "soothing aloe." 32 thb per can in the US, and the "Dollar Stores" sell the 10 oz. for 32 thb, also....I went with smaller for the long flights. So yeah, it's 300% more in Thailand.....can't imagine why anyone would want to shop around.

Being an expat Kiwi I dont have the urge or desire to travel to the States just to buy Barbasol and save approx 100baht, but your point is noted in that the product is about 300% dearer here.

But I will add that its probably the best shaving foam Ive found here, both on quality and price comparisons.

I use to do the same when I visited my homeland, unfortunately its been a while since I last returned to NZ and I cant see a trip in the making any time soon. But Im aways open to hearing about bargains....

Reasons for not shopping around.... A lack of time, convenience, a dislike of shopping, a lack of need, difficulty of getting there, most places are too busy at weekends, to name but a few. I pass Rimping Nawarat a few times a day, so because of convenience and the fact that they sell things I want, that other stores don't have, it suits me. For me to drive across town to bigger stores it would have to be a significant saving to motivate me and I'd more than likely wait until I was going that way anyway. So, for me, saving a baht here or there is outweighed by the time and effort involved. That's not to say that wherever I do shop, I'll look for a good deal. Fresh fruit and veg I mostly buy at Warrorot.

Shopping is something that has to be done, but like plenty of people, I'd rather do something else. My wife gave up on dragging me around stores for the sake of it. Shopping as a form of entertainment? I just don't get it. And of course, as a topic of conversation, the less said the better. Which of course now sounds ironic, coming from me!

"Cheap Charlie's however ,don't get me started" I thought we already did,

Joe, this is an obsession with you,why worry about how other people spend

their money.they do you no harm so whats the problem.cannot get to sleep

worrying about them?

regards Worgeordie

Wrong again. I sleep like a baby and can nod off at will. As I have said many times, and it still hasn't sunk in, men talking so much about shopping amuses me and the fact that my mild ridicule offends those people is as equally amusing, as it also shows what sensitive souls they are, bless 'em. You might like to note that you practically invited me into this topic. A glutton for punishment maybe?

Shopping is something that has to be done, but like plenty of people, I'd rather do something else. My wife gave up on dragging me around stores for the sake of it. Shopping as a form of entertainment? I just don't get it. And of course, as a topic of conversation, the less said the better. Which of course now sounds ironic, coming from me!

Hint: Young Thai girls in skimpy outfits cruising the malls.

OK, I agree, not much fun with a wife in tow.

agree with you on that product,im 3 months in with my can,and its still great.

worrying about them?

regards Worgeordie

Wrong again. I sleep like a baby and can nod off at will. As I have said many times, and it still hasn't sunk in, men talking so much about shopping amuses me and the fact that my mild ridicule offends those people is as equally amusing, as it also shows what sensitive souls they are, bless 'em. You might like to note that you practically invited me into this topic. A glutton for punishment maybe?

Joe, i think you need a holiday,you are wound up like a cheap clock,

its not good to obsess so much about nothing,if men shop,talk about

shopping,even about the price of eggs,you have to understand thats

up to them,they are not doing it for your amusement.but because they

want too.

Nobody's telling you how to live your life,or ridicule the quirks you have, but i suspect you think your perfect.

you have gotten to the top of the ladder,your words,but don't look down

on others who want to,or have to try and make ends meet.

regards Worgeordie

worrying about them?

regards Worgeordie

want too.

Nobody's telling you how to live your life,or ridicule the quirks you have, but i suspect you think your perfect.

regards Worgeordie

Wound up? That's funny, I'm enjoying a pleasant afternoon with my lovely grandchildren at a pool. Where did I say I was top of the ladder? I'm on about rung two. How many times do I need to tell you I don't look down on others? I merely find them amusing. You're getting tiresome and taking my views too much to heart. Calm down, calm down.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

worrying about them?

regards Worgeordie

want too.

regards Worgeordie

You reckon?

Sometimes people near the bottom need to have someone to look down on to feel safe.

I don't fit chiegmaijoe's excellent definition of being a Cheap Charlie, but wasting money just isn't in my DNA. You just have to be organised enough to do it.

Not a Cheap charlie , but you are a bargain hunter for sure, and without intending to be sexist or disrespectful, many mature women with time on their side are the same. As you said, your husband is not like you, because like most blokes, me included, he probably doesn't see shopping as anything other than a chore. When I go to Makro I have a list of exactly what I need and if it ain't on the list I don't even see it. However, contrary to what some people might think, of the items that I do need I will check prices and look for a bargain, which is totally natural. Like yourself, I may even stock up on bargains. That is nothing to do with Cheap Charlieism, which I made a crude attempt at defining earlier.

What amuses me, and offends some people when I speak of my amusement, is just the very notion of grown men not only going to the trouble of, for example, traipsing across town to save a baht or two on a tray eggs but then going to the trouble of going online to tell everyone. It amuses me because, having been brought up in a tough, poor, working class town, then I'm only used to old women chatting over the garden fence about such matters and men only concerning themselves with the price of a packet of smokes and a pint of ale. Sure, some guys here, because of falling exchange rates or being on a fixed pension, need to watch what they spend and may have to search out cheaper cuts, but as a conversation topic, well, you're always in danger of sounding like an old woman. Am I wrong? Maybe, but don't take it so much to heart guys, I can't help it, that's how I see it and it makes me chuckle, no more.

Cheap Charlie's however, don't get me started .........

No offence taken. With no children, we retired 7 years ago, at 43. Didn't do that by not bargain-hunting, or shopping the way mam taught me to, from the day we bought our first house, and for the 20 years we were in Australia I was working a minimum 60 hour week and took work home with me, which is why I can't understand why my sister, with her 20 hour a week job and in a very poor financial situation, doesn't do it. As I said, she just can't be bothered. I also inherited the obsessive cleaning from mam, still do the windows inside and out every week, hoover and steam clean the floors every the morning and do them with the dust mop at tea-time, my husband doesn't like to have a cup of tea at her house because the cups are so dirty - and while we have always joked about pubs or clubs being called the Claggy Mat, she really does have a house full of claggy mat carpets. Hard to believe we were brought up by the same woman. For me that goes to prove it's nature not nurture that shapes us.

And at least you go to Makro. I've given up asking for a ride, I get the yellow songtoews (one from here to bus station number 2, get off, say Hang Dong and I'm there within an hour at most) or I walk - yes, Rimping Condo to Makro Hang Dong Road. I'm naturally an early riser, set off around 6am before it gets hot and usually get there around 9 - 9.30, 10 if I'm dawdling. It's easier than seeing that look of horror when he realises he's going to have to go inside a shop. For clothes, I go to a mall, pick out what I think is right and the next time we're there we can walk straight to the rack, he either says yes or no - I think he only ever said no once -and he's in and out in of the changing room so quickly you'd think there was a bad smell. Same with shoes, I do the leg work, he tries them on at a later date and he leaves with indecent haste. If we're going to Tesco, Tops, Big C or Homepro, he goes to the foodcourt for a feed, but as soon as he's done he's by my side saying 'Can we go home now?'. Really is easier to go myself now that I have the yellow songtoews worked out, I always walk to Central Festival and get the shuttle bus back (Route 3 for anyone interested). He suffers with his nose when in air conditioning, but that's not the reason he won't go. As you said with most men, it's nothing more than a chore (I happen to agree with that, never been one for going to shops of any kind unless there's a reason to) and he's fortunate enough for it to be a chore I don't insist on sharing. He really, really hates shopping.

Edited by Konini

PS

Tesco Duchie Yogurt 4 packs (7 berry, 7 fruit), normally 57bht for a pack of 4

Reduced to 2 packs for 89bht including free microwave container with each pack.

You should make your own - not for the savings, it's better for you and when you put your own fruit in (I use frozen berries as often as not) you know exactly what you're eating, and what you're not. Never understood what 'Stabilisers' are and if there's no sugar there's artificial sweetner, and quite a lot of it as the mythical stabilisers must have a lot of taste to cover up.

I'm not a health nut, and I don't believe the conspiracy theories surrounding them, but there has to be something in these artificial sweetners that isn't doing us any good.

I use conditioner or shampoo on my legs, but have never been able to convince my husband. tongue.png

When we're travelling he uses my Cetaphil face cleanser, absolutely no nasty things in it, recommended by my dermatologist. Takes a bit of getting used to, as it doesn't lather up into a foam, but you get there eventually. The only reason for shaving foam is to glide the razor over the skin; if you dry shave you drag and scrape the razor across the skin, resulting in the problems everyone is familiar with. Any lubricant will do, I've used roll-on deodourant when I couldn't reach the conditioner, literally any lubricant as long as it's a gentle one. I never cease to be amazed at how many men I meet who have the 'red neck' shaving rash and thet tell me they use shaving foam and/or aftershave. Anything with any fragrance or colouring is going to irritate your skin. Anything.

Makro used to carry 'Emborg' brand frozen filets of pollok and the best was hoki [from the deep clean waters off New Zeland at a price less than 300thb/kilo. They stopped stocking it this year and wondering if anyone knows of another source of it??

In Makro HangDong we ordered (with the lady in the office of the Seafood Department) the currently missing Emborg pollok fillets. She said that they are not available in the market right now but she will order them.

May be you could also follow up with her then she will not forget it.

She recommended the frozen lined silver grunt fillets (Big size) from their Aro brand. They are as good for the Tom Yam Talay and the fish & chips as the pollock.

But for the fish in butter only I prefer the pollock.

e a baby and can nod off at will. As I have said many times, and it still hasn't sunk in, men talking so much about shopping amuses me and the fact that my mild ridicule offends those people is as equally amusing, as it also shows what sensitive souls they are, bless 'em. You might like to note that you practically invited me into this topic. A glutton for punishment maybe?

want too.

regards Worgeordie

You reckon?

Sometimes people near the bottom need to have someone to look down on to feel safe.

Actually, that's a really good point. Haven't thought about it before, but I'm thinking now, and the more I do, the more I can see that you are 100% right

And at least you go to Makro. I've given up asking for a ride, I get the yellow songtoews (one from here to bus station number 2, get off, say Hang Dong and I'm there within an hour at most) or I walk - yes, Rimping Condo to Makro Hang Dong Road. I'm naturally an early riser, set off around 6am before it gets hot and usually get there around 9 - 9.30, 10 if I'm dawdling. It's easier than seeing that look of horror when he realises he's going to have to go inside a shop. For clothes, I go to a mall, pick out what I think is right and the next time we're there we can walk straight to the rack, he either says yes or no - I think he only ever said no once -and he's in and out in of the changing room so quickly you'd think there was a bad smell. Same with shoes, I do the leg work, he tries them on at a later date and he leaves with indecent haste. If we're going to Tesco, Tops, Big C or Homepro, he goes to the foodcourt for a feed, but as soon as he's done he's by my side saying 'Can we go home now?'. Really is easier to go myself now that I have the yellow songtoews worked out, I always walk to Central Festival and get the shuttle bus back (Route 3 for anyone interested). He suffers with his nose when in air conditioning, but that's not the reason he won't go. As you said with most men, it's nothing more than a chore (I happen to agree with that, never been one for going to shops of any kind unless there's a reason to) and he's fortunate enough for it to be a chore I don't insist on sharing. He really, really hates shopping.

Why not use the Superhighway Makro, The Songtaw from Town to BoSang to Doi Saket goes right by it.

worrying about them?

regards Worgeordie

want too.

regards Worgeordie

Wound up? That's funny, I'm enjoying a pleasant afternoon with my lovely grandchildren at a pool. Where did I say I was top of the ladder? I'm on about rung two. How many times do I need to tell you I don't look down on others? I merely find them amusing. You're getting tiresome and taking my views too much to heart. Calm down, calm down.

By the way, the expression is "wound up like an eight-day clock", but your Freudian-slip version is possibly a bit more appropriate, considering......

e a baby and can nod off at will. As I have said many times, and it still hasn't sunk in, men talking so much about shopping amuses me and the fact that my mild ridicule offends those people is as equally amusing, as it also shows what sensitive souls they are, bless 'em. You might like to note that you practically invited me into this topic. A glutton for punishment maybe?

want too.

regards Worgeordie

You reckon?

Actually, that's a really good point. Haven't thought about it before, but I'm thinking now, and the more I do, the more I can see that you are 100% right

People at the top of the ladder have no need to bother themselves with such issues.

Makro used to carry 'Emborg' brand frozen filets of pollok and the best was hoki [from the deep clean waters off New Zeland at a price less than 300thb/kilo. They stopped stocking it this year and wondering if anyone knows of another source of it??

In Makro HangDong we ordered (with the lady in the office of the Seafood Department) the currently missing Emborg pollok fillets. She said that they are not available in the market right now but she will order them.

She recommended the frozen lined silver grunt fillets (Big size) from their Aro brand. They are as good for the Tom Yam Talay and the fish & chips as the pollock.

I'm glad I spotted this. I'd seen people discussion pollock and hoki and every single time I go to Makro I walk around and around and around the freezers and thought I was just not seeing it. I've been meaning to ask the question here for ages, just keep forgetting about it.

I already have a very soft spot for this thread.

I'm glad I spotted this. I'd seen people discussion pollock and hoki and every single time I go to Makro I walk around and around and around the freezers and thought I was just not seeing it. I've been meaning to ask the question here for ages, just keep forgetting about it.

I already have a very soft spot for this thread.

I agree, people here talking Pollocks is a welcome change. I may be mistaken, but when I bought this fish at Makro, although the taste was good and the texture was more like you'd expect for Fish n Chips, they were not quite the right size, more like a toothpaste tube shape than a nice fat, flat fillet, or maybe that was the halibut? Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Rimping: Wishbone salad sauces 2 for 1 in all sizes. Seen them at Promenada and Meechok branches. Italian, Thousand Island and not sure what others. We picked up both. Not a bad American brand.

I've been surprised a few times to find out that the sign actually meant buy 2 and get one free. Just beware for those who don't read Thai.