Work permit on a non O visa based on marriage

Thanks good to know - reason I asked is I'm starting work and was told by my company I would have to go to Vientiane and apply for non b visa to get work permit. I would have to wait for about a week "in order to take the labor permission document from Ministry of Labour to apply for your visa."

I have told them I was issued a wp last year without any prob on a non o and I wondered if the rules had changed. Will keep thread updated

You will find that many companies are not aware that a work permit can be issued on a non-o based upon marriage,

I was actually advised by the head of my local immigration office some years back to change my B to an O as "it is easier for you" I.e.no providing copies of company documents or tax details, and he's been proven to be right.

Yeah, I have had big problems with this two times. I think both the posters above are correct in hindsight. The schools either don't know you can get the work permit with your status, or they would rather have the added control over you if anything goes wrong. Either way it is very frustrating, as you can't convince them (I couldn't). But Ubon Joe is in fact correct you are supposed to be able to do it.

This is an interesting topic.

I never heard about this that you, apparently, can get a work permit on a Non O based on marriage.

I have Dutch nationality.
How does this way of getting a work permit go?

Is there any information here in ThaiVisa?

As I read here many businesses do not, or not want, to know this option.

Maybe this can be interesting for myself in the future.

"You will find that many companies are not aware that a work permit can be issued on a non-o based upon marriage,"

And some that want you on a B because they think they have more control over you.

Can anyone elaborate over the greater control that they may have over you with a B?

Thanks

"You will find that many companies are not aware that a work permit can be issued on a non-o based upon marriage,"

And some that want you on a B because they think they have more control over you.

Can anyone elaborate over the greater control that they may have over you with a B?

With an extension of stay for employment when one ends working for whatever reason, work permit is cancelled and consequently the extension to stay in invalid. That means that legally one has to get an extension and leave country within 7 days.

Not with a non-im B visa, but for most people the two things are the same.

Thanks

I usually get my WP based on a Multi O.

The WP is issued easily as I said in Chonburi or Rayong and is valid for a year.

I still have to leave Thailand and come back in every 90 days, to keep the visa going.

If and when the job finishes, contract work, I hand back the WP and continue on my Multi O leaving and returning every 90 days until renewal.

Some companies have in the past asked for my passport to cancel my visa as they wrongly believe the visa is tied to the WP. I just refuse to give them it and carry on as usual.

The power that companies 'think' they have over you is that they can try to make you believe they can cancel your visa, they can't, 'fact'.

The muti O is yours, not theirs.

If you have a 'B', usually the first is issued as a single entry 90 days, which is then converted to an extension based on work, report every 90 days to Immigration, they then will effectively cancel your extention on the day they cancel your WP.

This situation seems to give the the perceived feeling of control over you.

Thanks

I usually get my WP based on a Multi O.

The WP is issued easily as I said in Chonburi or Rayong and is valid for a year.

I still have to leave Thailand and come back in every 90 days, to keep the visa going.

If and when the job finishes, contract work, I hand back the WP and continue on my Multi O leaving and returning every 90 days until renewal.

Some companies have in the past asked for my passport to cancel my visa as they wrongly believe the visa is tied to the WP. I just refuse to give them it and carry on as usual.

The power that companies 'think' they have over you is that they can try to make you believe they can cancel your visa, they can't, 'fact'.

The muti O is yours, not theirs.

If you have a 'B', usually the first is issued as a single entry 90 days, which is then converted to an extension based on work, report every 90 days to Immigration, they then will effectively cancel your extention on the day they cancel your WP.

This situation seems to give the the perceived feeling of control over you.

Any reason why you don't get a one year O and just do 90 day reporting?

Bredbury Blue,

I could but it's just been a habit to do it the same way for years. My wife works full time and having to leave every 90 days makes it almost compulsory to have a few days break somewhere, Macau, Singapore, KL etc. We both enjoy the travel and she gets a weekend away from the everyday houshold things and the office of course.

Edited by overherebc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What are typical requirements for the employer in Chonburi labour office when a foreigner with marriage extension applies for WP?

Does the employer need to have 4 full time thai employees? Or is it enough to have couple of part time thai employees? Is there minimum salary for the foreign employee?

Being married to a Thai national means that the requirement is lowered from 4 to 2 Thai employees.

The labour office can come by and check if they are really working there.

For a work permit there is no minimum salary requirement. For an extension from immirgaiton based upon employemnet there is the requirement of having a salary of at least 50,000 a month. (But for based upon marriage it is only 40,000 a month or 400,000 in the bank).

• 3 weeks later...

I am also in the same situation. I was told that I need to leave the country for the work permit. I have advised them, otherwise. I have a non O visa and don't want to leave the country just for their own ignorance of the application process. I will keep everyone updated how it goes.

Edited by jacobbkk