5 Immigration officers came to my Home in Samui (Business address)

Hi all,

I had 5 immigration officers come to my home today. My home is also my business address.

I have a Thai company, its addressed to my home and I'm now into my second year. I pay my taxes every month to my accountant (work permit) and I just recieved my second year visa. I also paid for 4 Thai staff's social security to secure my visa, but I do not have Thai staff as such. I'm a small business (work from my computer) that is just starting up again after a failure on the first attempt. I've also just given the accountant my work permit to renew another year.

When the immigration came to my home they asked me do I live here? I said yes.

They asked do I work here? I said yes

They asked what I did? I told them.

They asked for my passport? I gave it to them and they held it to the end and studied every page while talking to one another.

They asked me to get one of my staff? I could not get them because they were all working in there other jobs (I used them to get my permit as my accountant advised) I did not tell the officers this, but I just told them they are away and I could not get in contact with them.

They asked for my work permit? I gave them a copy.

I also got them to speak to my accountant because I was concerned about the way they were acting when i told them i could not contact my staff.

They talked to them but after my accountant told me I should not have told them anything. This does not sound right to me and I did not want to lie to them because they had my passport and asked me many questions.

Anyway, after 45 minutes they left and shock my hand and said everything is ok.

My question is this-

1. Did I do the right things? If not, what should have I done?

2. Is there a possibility that I may have issues in the coming days or weeks?

3. Do I have anything to worry about?

Thanks guys, maybe I'm overreacting and its just a routine visit but it was all a bit weird.

Please comment :)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Samui is anything like Phuket, then these guys were trying a shake down, these kind of visits are far from routine; they may well not be from Immigration or they may have been 'working' on their day off..

Are you sure they were really from Immigration, were they wearing the correct uniforms and did you check ID and note down names?

• Like 2

Thanks for the comment. They were in smart casual clothing and all wearing immigation badges. I should have checked there cards but I completely forgot and a little nervous. They seemed to be the real deal and my accountant confirmed this. Do you think all is ok? They did not ask for anything like $$$

Thanks for the comment. They were in smart casual clothing and all wearing immigation badges. I should have checked there cards but I completely forgot and a little nervous. They seemed to be the real deal and my accountant confirmed this. Do you think all is ok? They did not ask for anything like $$$

Not sure; in Phuket, visits like that have been made in the past by crooks (not immigration) looking to extort money, perhaps they left because they couldn't find an angle.

You might be surprised that there are fake cops operating out there and also perhaps more controversially that some police in Phuket have been caught recently and have now been charged for doing bogus WP 'infringement' shake downs on dive company employers/employees.

Perhaps Samui is different from Phuket.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

I think the first thing you should do is dial your accountant and hand them the phone. At least thats what my accountant said to do.

No hurry, they know beforehand who the accountant is. The right time for negotiations is after the inspection is made.

Is openly admitting this on a publically accesible internet forum a wise thng to do - there are a lot of jealous farangs around who would happily dob you in. If I was you I would ask the mods to delete it and move on.

One of the inspector ladies who deals with the non-b extensions (very friendly and helpful lady) at Samui immigration once referenced ThaiVisa forum in a conversation I had with her. Don't know if she is a regular reader, but they certainly are aware of it. Especially since the so called 'birdman' at Samui immi is a reoccurring subject in the Samui forum. I never had the pleasure to deal with him (yet).

• Like 1

Hmmmm. I thought that when you start a business you have to supply exterior photos of your biz address, interiors of your offices including desks and work stations for staff. I have read posts from others here who say they have to supply an organization chart showing Thai partners and all positions held. Is the OP aware of this?

How can you just pay the taxes on bogus employees and never actually employ them or pay actual wages?

Just wunnerin'.

'nuff said

~

• Like 1

They swing round my place once a year or so. They mostly ask my wife the questions and I show them the business registrations of my two UK companies and explain this where I get my income from. I thought it was normal that they come check now and again and I'm in the sticks up north.

Something similar happened yesterday at the office of the company where I am a shareholder in. I received a phone call around 8:30 AM telling me that I have to open the door to sign for some documents coming from another country. I told them that I would send someone to sign for it while I am not around. This was not possible because it was addressed to me. I also told them that I did not know any thing about any documents that were addressed to me while I am not working in/for the company.

I called the company manager to check it out. When she was there around 9 AM to sign for the documents, they identified themselves as police and they wanted to see me. They were wearing plain clothes. She told them that I never come to the office and that I am not allowed to sign any papers for the company because I am only an investor in the company. It seems that they were trying to trick me.

The only way that they could have found my (private) phone number, the company address and my full names was at the registration at BDB.

So, my advice to all the foreigners in business in Thailand. Beware !!!

Edited by FredNL
  • Like 1

Read the law on the topic, then stand up against the bullsh!t they try to tell you to extort baht.

I had a cop pull me over and tell me I needed an international driving licence and my Australian licence didn't matter. Not true when there is treaty about this between Thailand and the country from where the licence is issued as stated in the Thai traffic act. I argued and he, continued on with some excuse but 'kindly' said thus time no fine. Maybe because I asked for the reason for the fine to be listed on the ticket, and asked where is the closest police post.

With the support of the PM General Prayuth, its time everyone helps to rid this good land of the corrupt.

• Like 2

OP, you should not have told the story on internet.

Better ask the moderation to delete all. The sooner the better.

And get your company fully legal or stop it all.

Five officers ? They must have come from Suratthani. Never knew there were so many at the immigration office in Nathon.

OP, you should not have told the story on internet.

Better ask the moderation to delete all. The sooner the better.

And get your company fully legal or stop it all.

Five officers ? They must have come from Suratthani. Never knew there were so many at the immigration office in Nathon.

What makes you think that these guys were on legitimate business?

I have heard that the military are on the island giving people two weeks notice to remove signs,scooters , and any extensions that come over the building line so maybe they are having a crackdown for the next few weeks like they were doing in Phuket and Pattaya.

I have heard that the military are on the island giving people two weeks notice to remove signs,scooters , and any extensions that come over the building line so maybe they are having a crackdown for the next few weeks like they were doing in Phuket and Pattaya.

Well in Phuket, legitimate businesses have had much fewer issues like this since the army have been around.

it seems that the crooks are genuinely frightened as to the consequences and have really kept their heads down/disappeared.

As the for the army, these guys have been nothing other than courteous and well behaved.

OP is not a clever guy. Stating he has 4 employees and can not reach ONE of them, not even by phone ? How ridiculous can one act, com'on !

Also if you "work from home" on your computer, WHY wake up sleeping dogs by applying for Work permit and other stuff ??? beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

• Like 2