500 baht breakage charge in Restaurant.....

richard_smith237

Is being charged for minor breakage in a restaurant acceptable ?  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do know staff has to pay for broken plates etc.

I was at 7/11 the one day picked up a two pack of Heineken in the cardboard holder. Guess the holder was ripped on the bottom as when I went to pick it up they fell out and broke. I had to pay. I don't think in the US I would have had to pay, not sure.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds fair - you broke it.

You asked for our thoughts. Mine is "what a big fuss over 500 baht!".

I wish I could be so casual about money. 500 Baht is 500 Baht and especially in this case it should not be the responsibility of the customer to pay for the accident. It's the principle, not the money that's the point of the argument here.

• Like 1

IMO: The insult was made as soon as the charge was presented to me. It was as this point an immediate and irreversible decision was made never to return.

I simply wished to contact the Manager to double check it was in fact restaurant policy to charge for this breakage, also to check that if I didn't pay it was restaurant policy to charge the staff. I wished to inform the Manager of my disappointment and that I as a customer would not return again.

I dropped a glass in KFC last week, I didn't offer to pay, they didn't ask.

I did buy another pepsi, 42 bht, at that price I consider the glass mine on every visit.

I guess you think you own the towels because you paid for the hotel room.

I really can't believe so many people think it is OK to break stuff and not own up and take responsability.

It is always someone elses fault or they make enough money of me attitude.

Sad.

Aint you the same guy who trashed a previous poster for giving a 300 baht tip, probably more than a days wages here in Thailand.

Lets suppose you eat out in Amerika (with a username name like yours I assume its safe to say thats where you are from) do you regularly tip a days wages to the dek serf or service staff in Mcy Ds in the Bronx?

Heres some Thai words for you to learn and remember, kee kong, kamoey, gohok.

I dont know if the OP was with his wife or not, believe me, Thais have tried this shyt on with me and my mrs before, my mrs long ago cast off her skin of riap roy BS, she will question and ask for the manager RIGHT NOW, or DIAW NEE in Thai, the mrs wont take shyt from some dek serf, who lets be honest in the Thai pecking order of serfitude is way beneath the mrs in the first place.

Enjoy your stay in LOS, as a previous poster pointed out, they probably laugh at you for being so dumb.

IMO: The insult was made as soon as the charge was presented to me. It was as this point an immediate and irreversible decision was made never to return.

I simply wished to contact the Manager to double check it was in fact restaurant policy to charge for this breakage, also to check that if I didn't pay it was restaurant policy to charge the staff. I wished to inform the Manager of my disappointment and that I as a customer would not return again.

I dropped a glass in KFC last week, I didn't offer to pay, they didn't ask.

I did buy another pepsi, 42 bht, at that price I consider the glass mine on every visit.

I guess you think you own the towels because you paid for the hotel room.

Are you actually married to a Thai, have you ever seen the stuff they put in their bags before they check out, soap, shampoo, cotton buds,toilet rolls etc etc.

Thai attitude, I have paid for it, it is mine.

You aint in Kansas now Dot.

Edited by rgs2001uk

Tipping and paying for breaking stuff is not the same thing.

The OP is to cheap to get a sitter and is now upset he has to pay for something his kid broke. CRAZY.

Please explain why this pay for breakage only occurs in farang orientated joints?

I have already written my experiences here in Thailand, never heard of or witnessed.

Usually its a, "mai pen rai ka" the way the Thais love kids, they aint going to try and rip you off coz little Somboon broke a 20 baht glass, the same glasses that are provided for free by the service provider.

EG, Singha provides their glasses for free to these eating establishments, same as Pepsi gives free fridges, Walls provides free freezers for their ice cream.

But dont let the dumb farang who is about to invest in his wifes upcountry business know that, he will be headed off to Makro or wherever to buy the same stuff the service providers provide for free.

I would agree totally with your sentiments Richard.

At Fashion Island in a restaurant my daughter knocked her bottle of soda over. They tried to charge us for the breakage. I said no. I paid less the charge for the breakage and they just looked. Tipped the waitress though because her service was good, and the breakage was nothing to do with her. This was a bottle not some re-usable crockery.

In Thailand, everyone tries everything to pass the cost to someone else for any, sometimes totally illogical reasons. If its a farang then they expect anything will simply be paid for.

What is sad is that the restaurant has lost a good loyal customer and the owner/manager will never be told why by the staff. They will forget it as soon as you leave.

I really don't understand why some people stay in Thailand when all they do is complain about the "Thai way" and think everyone is out to cheat the rich farang.

I am sure the OP does not spend all his time complaining about the 'Thai Way'. Maybe he thinks this particular incident was not the 'Thai Way' given that I could not imagine the restaurant even considering trying to charge a Thai group for the same thing. If you think so then fine, carry on bent trampled upon.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Depending on what you broke, I would establish worth for such a used item in my mind and leave it with them and walk out. You were with your kid so don't want that hassle, but just try to bill me buddy. Was the thing worth anywhere near 500?

Having run a few restaurants over the years i know that breakages are factored into the overheads in running the business. It is also written off on your tax as an operating expense . Some business insurance will even cover some of it but it is hardly worth the bother.

Wine glasses are the most common and quality ones are expensive . It was almost weekly that we needed to buy more and in the end we just bought cheaper ones rather than quality. You can excuse a lot of breakages especially if it accompanied with an apology.

Staff broke as much as customers did especially when the heat was on in the kitchen. There is a certain tolerance limit though and you could always tell if it was accidental or plain stupidity. It was the ones who were not going to be around long that broke the most out of their couldn't give a <deleted> attitude.

Theft is a different matter. We had some really nice Thai brass cutlery and other items such as brass serviette rings etc - now all gone through theft or as the thief would describe it as it only was a souvenir . And customers can be quite indignant when found stealing but that is the type of customer you don't need . I have no tolerance for thieves . None at all.

• Like 1

i've run a restaurant for years...

and we never ever charge customers for breakage (accidents of course)...

we also use very expensive dishes and glasses at my restaurant.

even our tables are all made of italian marble.. and our customers have accidentally chipped off corners before. but we never took a cent for accidents.

it is a business risk.

personally i've been charged at some big restaurants in China, where the glass jug broke... charged us something like $2-3 so we didn't really care, but we were unhappy because we paid in excess for $1000 or so..

the other one was when my baby nephew accidentally knocked over a little flower pot at a hotel... and they charged us for it.. that was in Hua Hin... charged us 100 baht i think... we didn't really care much.. but still.. it's a business risk... it should never be charged to customers unless it was intentional and you can prove it.

I don't understand what the issue is. You are entering someone's establishment and you break something, of course you're going to have to pay. Regardless whether that establishment is successful or not.

I'm sure if you invited someone into your house and they break something, you would want them to pay for it.

If a guest in someones house accidently broke a plate, only a complete a$$h0le would even suggest they pay for it

<snip>

Edited by soundman
Flaming.
  • Like 1

Total BS, sounds to me like nothing more than a scammer/chancer trying their luck.

I have never heard of such a thing in Thailand, that being said I dont disbelief you for reasons mentioned in opening sentence.

Years ago I was in the Phillipines attending a friends wedding, friend presented with a bill of 200 pesos for his young kid breaking a glass, "in the Phillpines this is our way, you must understand sir" was what he was told.

He paid the 200 pesos bill and said no problem in my country its our way to check out.

There were from memory about 30 rooms booked for the wedding at a cost of about 2,000 pesos for the night, times 7 nights (work it out yourself).

Friend phoned me and said, CHECK OUT NOW, I was most pissed off, I was sleeping off a hangover and didnt fancy the move up the road.

Talk about FACE, the dumb manager said nothing, and would rather lose business and customers along with word of mouth than side with farang over a fellow Pinoy, my attitude these days is name and shame em, e f f em

When their poxy business goes bust som nam na, get on Trip Advisor and out this joint, utterly disgusting.

This restaurant is too successful to go bust, the food is also excellent (hence my repeat custom).

I just can't figure out the disconnect in charging a customer for accidental breakage - IMO is pretty much stinks.

Its a shame there wasn't a way to let the owner know without going to too much effort - A TripAdvisor report is as much time and effort as I'm going to spend on a complaint before letting it go and going back to enjoying myself.

A good restaurant off the list - luckily in Bangkok there are a many many more good choices.

This Poll is to see if my ideals are not way off the mark with other expats.

Why should the owner pay for your (accidental) breakage? Just pay.

Curious how much do you tip normally?

Why should the owner pay for your (accidental) breakage? Just pay.

Curious how much do you tip normally?

Same reason the owner (hopefully) pays salaries to staff. Cost of doing business. Duh.

Tell that to the people who rent motorcycles and cars, shop owners. If you are doing business it doesn't mean that people can break everything without paying.

If you sit on an old chair and it breaks, the owner pays (+ a lawsuit for millions if you are in the USA). If you can't control your kid and there is breakage, you pay.

Sarcasm on

He should pay every customer 500 bath too for spoiling their meal by bringing a young kid to a fancy restaurant.

Sarcasm off

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 2

Restaurant owners will also tell you it's impossible to collect an unpaid bill. What are your options, fight, go to court, detain them.

I think it would be perfectly reasonable to ignore the 500 baht, in your dreams. Establish your own estimate of worth for the used item, pay it, and if they say anything ask them to show you a bill where they paid 500 baht for the item. When they can't produce, just say you can't charge whatever you like for something and walk out.

Edited by meand
  • Like 1

Restaurant owners will also tell you it's impossible to collect an unpaid bill. What are your options, fight, go to court, detain them.

I think it would be perfectly reasonable to ignore the 500 baht, in your dreams. Establish your own estimate of worth for the used item, pay it, and if they say anything ask them to show you a bill where they paid 500 baht for the item. When they can't produce, just say you can't charge whatever you like for something and walk out.

I was highly tempted to ignore the 500 baht charge and simply pay the rest of the bill and walk out.

However, potentially the staff would have had to cover the cost. I was unable to get to the bottom of the validity of this claim as I was unable to contact a Manager (she was not on location and not answering her phone).

Paying the 500 baht itself was not an issue, the additional charge could have been 25 baht and I would have been equally miffed and offended - In my opinion, this is not the way Customers should be treated, additionally its not the way an establishment should treat its Staff either... and as such I'll not return.

Another option might have been not to pay the bill at all and ask the owner to contact me. This would have ensured a return call and an opportunity to get to the bottom of the issue of the charge being passed onto the customer or the staff.

I doubt that would have been a viable request and didn't follow this possible path or resistance.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

I would have for sure paid if the kids are around. No sense in taking any chance.

The only thing I will note about your post, you mentioned how the boss may make the employees pay. I just consider that completely not my problem. I understand what you are saying and it's reasonable, but I can't stop anybody from wrongfully charging their employees for something. That is their business.

Anyway, I'm with you. They should not do this, and if they do happen to do it, they should show you some proof that the used item is said cost, which they would never be able to, so again their problem. It's not like you are breaking a cup in tesco worth 248 baht.

Edited by meand

I was highly tempted to ignore the 500 baht charge and simply pay the rest of the bill and walk out.

However, potentially the staff would have had to cover the cost. I was unable to get to the bottom of the validity of this claim as I was unable to contact a Manager (she was not on location and not answering her phone).

Paying the 500 baht itself was not an issue, the additional charge could have been 25 baht and I would have been equally miffed and offended - In my opinion, this is not the way Customers should be treated, additionally its not the way an establishment should treat its Staff either... and as such I'll not return.

Another option might have been not to pay the bill at all and ask the owner to contact me. This would have ensured a return call and an opportunity to get to the bottom of the issue of the charge being passed onto the customer or the staff.

I doubt that would have been a viable request and didn't follow this possible path or resistance.

and as such I'll not return.

Good man, thats the spirit.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, was your mrs with you?

I was unable to contact a Manager (she was not on location and not answering her phone).

Thainess at its best.

In situations like this I let my mrs handle it.

Feel free to PM me with the name of this place so I can make sure to avoid it, and also to tell my friends not to frequent it.

• Like 1

I would have offered to pay. But if some payment was demanded before my offer or they tried to take advantage of my offer by stating and exorbitant amount, I just don't pay. I smile count out the amount of the bill without the extra charge tell them that's it and walk out. Never had a problem with that. I am a decent tipper, but another thing that irks me is to have a "service charge" added to the bill when I was never advised of such a policy before hand. When this happens, no tip, I don't pay it. Smile, say no way Jose, lay down the correct amount and walk out. I don't take it in the asset.

Edited by noendtoit

I guess for some people, nothing is ever their fault.

I don't think the OP is suggesting that it wasn't his fault. Breakages occur and should be expected in any resteraunt . If it was malicious damage that's a different matter, it wasn't. The suggestion that the staff member would have to pay, if he didn't is disgusting business practice. The best thing to do, is take business elsewhere, there are plenty of decent places to eat in Bangkok. Sometimes, some of these places really have no clue about customer service and repeat business.