US teacher accidentally shoots self

webfact

So you Auzzy's are saying it's civilized in Australia? No offense, but please explain why in such a civilized society you have Machete Attacks!! There's more but i only listed a few.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/crime-court/man-50-charged-after-two-men-were-attacked-with-a-machete-near-murwillumbah/story-fnje8bkv-1226977594722

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/gang-members-charged-over-machete-attack-in-woolloomooloo/story-fn7y9brv-1226359204255?nk=56c81945945e486f6de35f2f320160cc

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-08/jurrah-held-over-machete-attack/3877842

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/20739176/machete-attack-at-bus-stop/

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/man-in-hospital-after-machete-attack/story-fnhocxo3-1226705547034?nk=56c81945945e486f6de35f2f320160cc

And then there's the UK.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/757632-woman-beheaded-in-london-attack/

In all societies there are criminals and head cases, that is why we have the police. In all the examples you gave concerning Australia and the UK, I do not see one of a teacher shooting themselves while they take a dump in a primary school toilet prior to starting their day's work with children. See the difference yet?

It's about your comment of being "Civilized" which you strongly claim your country is. You have just as many violent crimes per capita as the US does. Australia outlawed guns but the crime stats didn't go down as they expected. You can manipulate all the numbers you want but the truth is the truth. Off topic: It's also interesting how some Auzzies blast America for how they treated American Indians when they themselves treat Aborigines and still do! So you still think your country is civilized more that the US?

There's an old saying, "don't bring a knife to a gun fight". Had anyone being attacked by a machete had a gun...the outcome would have been different. Then again depending on their training they probably would have shot themselves instead of the perpetrator like this inexperienced teacher did. I and like thousands of others, carried a firearm for years and never had an accident, close call even though we had to pull the weapon out on many occasions.

Personally I would rather use a non lethal weapon to defend myself that a gun. I prefer a Tazer or a stun gun. But Tazers and stun guns can't travel faster than a speeding bullet. Also gets really messy after you shot someone with a gun. I know after stopping an armed robbery suspect in a gun fight with other officers.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a different culture that you aren't expected to understand.

In my state I'm allowed to carry a gun into any school from preschool through uni, and I'm not a teacher or employee. The punk kids who've done school shootings don't qualify to carry guns. They are breaking the law just by possessing.

The countless teachers who carry guns do so to protect themselves and students from some nutter school shooter. To the best of my knowledge, no school shooting has been attempted in the presence of teachers who had guns.

If I was going to have a happy dream, it would be me standing on a street in London when some punk decides he's going to behead a soldier or an elderly woman, or to just happen to be in a school when some punk decides he's going to shoot the place up.

With freedom comes risk, but a different kind of risk than an unarmed population is taking.

Freedom isn't free, and some things are worth dying for, to paraphrase a couple of sayings.

In not more than one generation, when your traitorous government has allowed you to be overrun by Islamic extremists, you will be begging for your guns. But you don't have freedom of speech or any other way to make changes. You are unarmed and verbally stifled.

Americans have always played the long game on this issue while the UK prefers to be short sighted. We are ready, will accept the risks, and won't take shit off anyone including our government because we have a constitution and a certain mindset.

I don't expect you to understand, until it's too late.

Lets deal with your first post first:

If I was going to have a happy dream, it would be me standing on a street in London when some punk decides he's going to behead a soldier or an elderly woman, or to just happen to be in a school when some punk decides he's going to shoot the place up.

Now we see the violence inherent in the system! (can anyone name the movie). Firstly a problem with your 'happy' dream is that if you carry your weapon in London our police will arrest you and you WILL spend a long time in jail. If I had a 'happy dream', it would be that there were no people beheading anyone, that we all lived in a peaceful society. Your happy dream is that you ARE killing people you want the gung ho shoot em up 'kill a punk' situation to be part of your fantasy world. Can you see what is wrong with that? You are a product of a violent society.

you say

"Americans have always played the long game on this issue while the UK prefers to be short sighted. We are ready, will accept the risks, and won't take shit off anyone including our government because we have a constitution and a certain mindset."

The US have not been part of any 'long game' yet. You have a 250 year history, it is not a long game. The funny thing is that you all DO take continuous s**t off your Government, regardless of how many guns you have and your constantly stated intention of 'taking no s**t'. The patriot act, the restriction of freedoms, the prisons for profit, where a man that pays TOO MUCH money in alimony to his kids goes to jail, the fact that the US will tax it's citizens regardless of where they live in the world and that your Government has bullied the world's confidential banking systems into disclosing all the accounts of all it's citizens world-wide. If you think you have freedom you can honestly keep it.

Why/How has this woman shot herself in school. Why is she not examined to ensure she is competent to carry a lethal weapon in a school full of primary children? We examine people who drive cars, another lethal weapon in the wrong hands, yet no examination of a woman carrying a concealed gun. Why was the safety not on etc etc. Isn't it lucky that she did not discharge the weapon in class and kill a child? Or would that be seen as just being an acceptable risk, collateral damage perhaps. Violent societies beget violence, and your happy dreams are killing people.

This is, quite possibly, the finest post I have seen on TV. Ever. Even if it ended after the first paragraph it would still have been amongst the finest. :-)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A teacher was legally carrying a gun in school!!! What the hell???!!!

The bizarre, archaic and utterly nonsensical gun laws in America absolutely beggar belief.

In my state I'm allowed to carry a gun into any school from preschool through uni, and I'm not a teacher or employee. The punk kids who've done school shootings don't qualify to carry guns. They are breaking the law just by possessing.

The countless teachers who carry guns do so to protect themselves and students from some nutter school shooter. To the best of my knowledge, no school shooting has been attempted in the presence of teachers who had guns.

With freedom comes risk, but a different kind of risk than an unarmed population is taking.

Freedom isn't free, and some things are worth dying for, to paraphrase a couple of sayings.

But you wouldn't understand that.

Your barking mad mate. As a Brit I find it sad that you feel the need to carry a gun and clearly are desperate to shoot someone. In the UK total gun deaths over the past few decades don't reach anywhere close to the annual slaughter that takes place in the US.

You might not agree with him - but that doesn't mean he is mad, nor does stating that give credibility to your comments.

As a Brit, I find it sad that we are virtually banned from owning guns, carrying all but tiny penknives, and generally not allowed to make choices for ourselves. We are supposed to rely on the police, some forces can't even get passed by HMIC, and the competence of various forces is in news articles on a regular basis. Not blaming police officers - under paid, under staffed, often poorly led and more politically controlled than ever before.

Have you compared the size, diversity and population of the US with that of the UK?

There is a balance and Britain certainly ain't balanced unless you are wealthy or politically connected when you will have very good security protection. More CCTV than any country hasn't stopped the serous violence every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings.

• Like 2

Why was the safety not on etc etc.

Because revolvers don't have a safety, if you know nothing about guns, why post in this thread?

I know everything about guns. Did she have a revolver? It does not say that in the OP does it. Are you making an assumption? And your statement about revolvers is not quite true is it. Can the fact that a woman shot herself in school only be commented on by experts in guns now? Do you have to be a gun expert to realise someone is an ass for having a ND?

edit for your edit

GentlemanJim, on 12 Sept 2014 - 10:37, said:snapback.png

. Isn't it lucky that she did not discharge the weapon in class and kill a child? Or would that be seen as just being an acceptable risk, collateral damage perhaps. Violent societies beget violence, and your happy dreams are killing people.

"Gun in holster during class, no reason to take it out, unlike when you are in the toilet.

If you know nothing about the operation and practicalities of carrying a gun, why post in this thread?"

There you go again, assumptions assumptions and we all know about those don't we.

Edited by GentlemanJim

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Your barking mad mate. As a Brit I find it sad that you feel the need to carry a gun and clearly are desperate to shoot someone. In the UK total gun deaths over the past few decades don't reach anywhere close to the annual slaughter that takes place in the US.

You might not agree with him - but that doesn't mean he is mad, nor does stating that give credibility to your comments.

As a Brit, I find it sad that we are virtually banned from owning guns, carrying all but tiny penknives, and generally not allowed to make choices for ourselves. We are supposed to rely on the police, some forces can't even get passed by HMIC, and the competence of various forces is in news articles on a regular basis. Not blaming police officers - under paid, under staffed, often poorly led and more politically controlled than ever before.

Have you compared the size, diversity and population of the US with that of the UK?

There is a balance and Britain certainly ain't balanced unless you are wealthy or politically connected when you will have very good security protection. More CCTV than any country hasn't stopped the serous violence every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings.

Look on the bright side, it must have stopped it Sun to Wed then. 4 days out of 7 is a result that's better than average. ;)

The "culture" is not different - it is based on the immigrants from UK and Europe who populated those lands and displaced the natives. UK and Europe have largely learned how to keep order through education and social standards -- it's not perfect, but it works and any guns n the streets are in the hands of military or police only - or they are illegal. This makes life a lot less stressful smile.png

Less stressful? Violent crime in the UK is twice as high as in the US and citizens have no way of defending themselves from violent criminals. However, the homicide rate is higher in the USA.

If UK citizens had access to guns to defend themselves then it would stand to reason that the aggressors would have access to them too and what we would see would be more deaths from gun related actions. Hardly "freedom" is it? just more dead people.

• Like 2

So you Auzzy's are saying it's civilized in Australia? No offense, but please explain why in such a civilized society you have Machete Attacks!! There's more but i only listed a few.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/crime-court/man-50-charged-after-two-men-were-attacked-with-a-machete-near-murwillumbah/story-fnje8bkv-1226977594722

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/gang-members-charged-over-machete-attack-in-woolloomooloo/story-fn7y9brv-1226359204255?nk=56c81945945e486f6de35f2f320160cc

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-08/jurrah-held-over-machete-attack/3877842

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/20739176/machete-attack-at-bus-stop/

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/man-in-hospital-after-machete-attack/story-fnhocxo3-1226705547034?nk=56c81945945e486f6de35f2f320160cc

And then there's the UK.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/757632-woman-beheaded-in-london-attack/

In all societies there are criminals and head cases, that is why we have the police. In all the examples you gave concerning Australia and the UK, I do not see one of a teacher shooting themselves while they take a dump in a primary school toilet prior to starting their day's work with children. See the difference yet?

In all the examples you gave concerning Australia and the UK, I do not see one of a teacher shooting themselves while they take a dump in a primary school toilet prior to starting their day's work with children

In my 76 years on this earth, I do believe this is the first time I have ever heard of this happening...anywhere in the world.

If you aren't in the US, don't have any plans to visit or move to the US and have no close relations living in the US, exactly what difference does it make in your lives?

You people need to get a life.

The same could be said for you chuckd, why on earth do you comment in the world news thread. So, if we dont live there, don't travel there, then remove the right to comment or discuss - brilliant! Why do you comment on threads on here involving other countries and subjects nothing to do with you or your life? I tell you what, once the US stops putting boots in every country and interfering with world-wide fiscal policy, once it stops meddling in banking systems that have a direct effect on me (Switzerland for example) then I will take your advice happily and refrain from even thinking about the place again. Until then it is a subject that is fair game.

I have close relations living in the US with which communicate on a regular basis.

Now read my post again and try to think with your big head for a change.

The bizarre, archaic and utterly nonsensical gun laws in America absolutely beggar belief.

Paraphrasing George Bush Jnr is not always a good thing methinks?

• Like 1

Because revolvers don't have a safety, if you know nothing about guns, why post in this thread?

I know everything about guns. Did she have a revolver? It does not say that in the OP does it. Are you making an assumption? And your statement about revolvers is not quite true is it. Can the fact that a woman shot herself in school only be commented on by experts in guns now? Do you have to be a gun expert to realise someone is an ass for having a ND?

"Gun in holster during class, no reason to take it out, unlike when you are in the toilet.

If you know nothing about the operation and practicalities of carrying a gun, why post in this thread?"

There you go again, assumptions assumptions and we all know about those don't we.

You know everything about guns yet you asked why was the safety not on. Glocks, which are a very popular semi-automatic and carried by most US policemen don't have a safety that you can switch on. The OP didn't say what kind of gun she had yet your knee-jerk question is about "the safety."

As AnotherOneAmerican told you, if you don't know anything about guns (and you don't,) why post in this thread?

The unarmed UK population seems to suffer alot less gun related deaths than the armed US citizens.

They get knifed instead.

As the murder rate in the US is about 4 times that of the UK I'll take my chances in good old Blighty thanks.

If you stay out of the ghettos you have no problem in America!!! Also, as one ages you might have a problem with a gang so I got my concealed permit this year. Not paranoid just using my brain!!! The classes were very informing and I can still shoot expert same as I did in my 24 years in the Air Force. thumbsup.gif

You know everything about guns yet you asked why was the safety not on. Glocks, which are a very popular semi-automatic and carried by most US policemen don't have a safety that you can switch on. The OP didn't say what kind of gun she had yet your knee-jerk question is about "the safety."

As AnotherOneAmerican told you, if you don't know anything about guns (and you don't,) why post in this thread?

Blimey, so now from the OP I am also supposed to know that if she did not have a certain type of revolver, she had a 9mm but the 9mm was not a Glock your favourite 'did you know I have a Glock' weapon of choice. (Do you know how many times you have told us on TV that you carry a Glock!) I had a US Marine desperate to swop his crappy Glock for my Browning 9mm.

Can we remain adult on the thread and get some intelligent replies if you are going to take the time to sit at the keyboard. Otherwise please move along.

• Like 2

Blimey, so now from the OP I am also supposed to know that if she did not have a certain type of revolver, she had a 9mm but the 9mm was not a Glock your favourite 'did you know I have a Glock' weapon of choice. (Do you know how many times you have told us on TV that you carry a Glock!) I had a US Marine desperate to swop his crappy Glock for my Browning 9mm.

It seems unlikely as Browning are complete pants, and Glock are very expensive.

I preferred to carry a Beretta 9mm with lock & cock (M9).

. Isn't it lucky that she did not discharge the weapon in class and kill a child? Or would that be seen as just being an acceptable risk, collateral damage perhaps. Violent societies beget violence, and your happy dreams are killing people.

Gun in holster during class, no reason to take it out, unlike when you are in the toilet.

If you know nothing about the operation and practicalities of carrying a gun, why post in this thread?

I believe Smith & Wesson make a revolver with a safety switch.

• Like 1

It seems unlikely as Browning are complete pants, and Glock are very expensive.

I preferred to carry a Beretta 9mm with lock & cock (M9).

Now lets not get all confrontational by calling me a liar eh! I told you what a US Marine said to me, you were not there, it was in the middle of the desert and you didn't overhear.

SO it gets even funnier, because a Glock is 'very expensive' you think it is better? The browning is epic and can stand up to very adverse/harsh environments. There are some pretty expensive assault rifles but they are beaten hands down by the cheap old AK47. You are talking nonsense. Just think before you post, this is not a competition about who has to win with a number of posts, it is supposed to be an adult discussion.

By the way, find me a review by a reputable gun magazine that says the Browning is 'pants', I think you will find they all say it is one of the most formidable, best 9mm available.

Edited by GentlemanJim

The unarmed UK population seems to suffer alot less gun related deaths than the armed US citizens.

The UK is some what smaller than the US so you would need to compare apples with apples.

People in the UK, innocent people, are still shot, stabbed, beaten, and attacked. The draconian gun, knife and offensive weapon laws mean most young, old, weak, informed, disabled are reliant upon the police for protection. Which we know has its limitations.

Freedoms of speech, actions, choices have been restricted considerably in the UK over the last 10-15 years. And, many places just ain't safe, and you're not allowed to protect yourself.

Interesting - have lived in Blighty for most of my life , and have never experienced any danger or even felt vaguely threatened in the most deprived boroughs in London- would be interested to know which places aren't safe?

Anyone who manages to shoot themselves whilst having a shit should not be allowed to carry a gun.

Anyone who manages to shoot themselves have an accident whilst having a shit driving a car should not be allowed to carry a gun. own a car.

Hummm,

You were doing better before this one...

A gun is designed to kill, animals as well as people.

A car is designed to carry people from point A to point B.

Otherwise,

Anyone wh manages to have an accident with a pencil while writing...

Anyone who manages to have an accident while taking care of his baby..

I suppose you get the point...

• Like 1

Anyone who manages to shoot themselves whilst having a shit should not be allowed to carry a gun.

Anyone who manages to shoot themselves have an accident whilst having a shit driving a car should not be allowed to carry a gun. own a car.

Hummm,

You were doing better before this one...

A gun is designed to kill, animals as well as people.

A car is designed to carry people from point A to point B.

Otherwise,

Anyone wh manages to have an accident with a pencil while writing...

Anyone who manages to have an accident while taking care of his baby..

I suppose you get the point...

"I suppose you get the point..."

I highly doubt it... wink.png