What is your favourite tipple in LOS?

hotsoup

I am defeated by this!

In France we drink wine, simple!

In LOS wine ranges from the undrinkable to the unaffordable, often both at the same time

Heineken, Tiger and Carlsberg make you fat. Singha has too much formaldehyde. Leo and Chang have yet to discover how to make them taste of anything

Lao Khao? I think not!

Thai spirits. Mekhong, Saen Song are unpleasant and particularly so when mixed 1 part spirit to 300 parts soda.

Johnny Walker the same. Decent whisky wrecked by the proportions

I like Pernod and Campari, but like so many things..not appear to have the same taste here.

Have taken to drinking Bloody Marys, and Screwdrivers. OK. But not for all the day!!

Beginning to understand,too, why the British and Dutch Empires were floated on Gin!

Am not prepared to go along with the Buddha Police...what is to be done?smile.png

• Like 2

Try a Greyhound. Vodka, soda and grapefruit juice. Refreshing and not too sweet. But it does creep up on you.

The only problem is that it is hard to find as Dave from The Robin Hood in Jomtien buys up every bit of grapefruit juice to feed the 10+ regulars who drink this.

• Like 2

if I must drink I prefer vodka, actually brought a big bottle over with me a few years ago and only opened it on the weekend. Unfortunately I mixed it with lemon/lime juice(1 ltr carton) I bought thinking it would have a good bite but it was bloody sweet and I had to toss it. Looks like I will have to find grapefruit juice nowsmile.png , other than that I drink chang lemon/lime soda water.

this is my cheap tipple, up country, when i get fed up with Leo and lime

Sang Som from the corner shop

limes from the garden

honey from the whisky bottle

mint from the garden

soda water from the corner shop

ice from the fridge

put the sang som , some slices of lime , a dollop of honey and ice in a jar or cocktail shaker and shake it up, then pour the filtered mixture over a glass of new ice, top up with soda water and pop in a leaf or two of mint so as it looks classy , fire water really .

• Like 1

"TOO MUCH FORMALDEHYDE IN SINGHA"

A persistent myth that has been disproven numerous times. No more true than the belief that Thai whisky has amphetmaines in it (heard this from countles backpackers).

I'm guessing too much formaldehyde would be any at all.

Edited by Rykbanlor
  • Like 2

You say in France WE, so I assume you are French. St. Remy makes a very decent brandy that is sold at reasonable prices (for 40%) here. St. Remy VSOP. It is presently around 635 baht / 70cl at most stores in Udon Thani, but it may be cheaper in BKK. Very decent tipple (straight up...sipped) while sitting on the porch watching the world go by. wink.png

For beer, you can usually find Asahii for a reasonable price. I am not a beer drinker, but I do enjoy an Asahii from time to time, especially during cookouts.

Alternately, get friends to bring you decent liquor from the duty free when they come to visit. Literally, 70cl of my prefered single malt (Glenfiddich 15 yr old) is more than TWICE what 1 liter costs outside the LOS! (3500 baht here vs ~1650 baht) sad.png I am sure that punitive tax needs to be there to protect Thai distilleries and help people not drink to much. (yeah RIGHT!)

KB

Edited by KBTexas

Thailand is a great place to quit drinking alcohol. Price (insane import duty) and extremely variable quality are two big incentives, if you were thinking about giving it up for a while anyway. Also, chances of getting into some regrettable situations are greatly reduced. But, as our National Motto says....Up to YOU, Handsome Guy!

In France we drink wine, simple!

In LOS wine ranges from the undrinkable to the unaffordable, often both at the same time

Most of the wine I've bought in Thailand has been from Australia, Chile, South Africa and California. The pricing may be blamed on the Thais, largely due to tax, but are you blaming Thais for what Australia, Chile, South Africa and California produce? Some have certainly been decent, some not so much. Generally house wines in restaurants are to be avoided, but then most restaurants here pull in customers who probably dine Chez Ronald McD when at home, and I certainly wouldn't expect a McMerlot to be memorable either.

Can't say the wine I've bought that's produced in France has been consistently better. I'm sure France produces some excellent wines, but that is not to say all wines produced in France are excellent. Some wines have clearly not traveled well, but I don't think that's as big a problem as some like to imagine.

Along with wine exports, France is well-known for certain personality attributes of its citizen-ambassadors, convincingly demonstrated in your O/P. I won't elaborate or I might risk having the post deleted.

WINE-SNOB1.jpg the sommelier hath spoken!

Edited by Suradit69

one can of leo with dinner every night. if im feeling thirsty ill have two. winding down the drinking these days, with the odd bender here and there.

amazing how little food costs if you skip the beer

• Like 1