Ghosts

justsignedin

The Thais on the whole seem to have a strong beleif in the spirit world. Most claim to have had some sort of supernatural experience or sighting. Have you ever spoke to a Thai about ghosts and then been half convinced by thier enthusiasm that they really do exist. or have you had any supernatural experience yourself. ??????

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not personally, but ocassionaly get that funny "hairs on the back of my neck" experience. Or the goose bumps "someone just walked over my grave" feeling.

Does that count?

Maybe just maybe it counts. Who knows, they could be right behind us.

It appears that almost all cultures have some belief in the afterlife, and ghosts particularly. I can't say that I have actually seen a ghost, but I can definately sense something when I visit places like Auschwitz, Toul Sleng and My Lai where hundreds, thousands and millions met their demise. Its more than a feeling 'that something bad happened here'. I can feel the desperation and fear.

To put it another way, when you walk into a cathedral or temple, many can feel an overwhelming sense of goodness, of hope and serenity. If that is the spirit world in effect helping those who are there then it stands to reason that in sites where the opposite is in effect then one might feel the negativity.

They say that people who are more emotionally open are better at detecting such things. It is possible that the Thais, or Asians as a rule are slightly more in tune with their emotions than most people in the west. It is possible then they have a greater or heightened awareness of such things.

I know that as a child mt first experience with death was when my grandfather died. I was very close to him and possibly felt his loss more than most. Over the years at times of extreme stress and fear I have spoken to him out in the ether and asked him for his help (some people pray, talk to themselves, or shout. I chose to talk to the memory of him). Twice my grandmother who visits mediums regularly called me a couple of days later and said that she had been given a message from my grandfather to say that he had been with me when I needed him. My Gran lives on the opposite side of the country and although we a re close, I would not have told her about such things.

Ghosts and the belief in them is an extreemely personal thing. I don't think anyone can truly believe in them until they have experienced first hand something connected personally to them. Until that time most people take the logical position of cynicism. It is a very hard belief to grasp, some believe it because they hope it to be true and it helps with their grief, others dismiss it for the very same reason.

Comes down to culture.

As a kid, when you said you were afraid of ghosts under your bed, ponder with the thought that your parents instead of saying 'that's alright honey, there is no such thing as ghosts, now go back to sleep' would become white in the face and call an exorcist... and the next morning, the entire village would say 'there was a ghost in their house last night'... and the old 'seer' lady would say 'I sense the presence of a young maiden who killed herself close to that spot'... etc. Not to mention taking part in rituals attempting to placate spirits on a regular basis, as part of your upbringing...

Would you perhaps be compelled to think ghosts were real?

Comes down to culture.

As a kid, when you said you were afraid of ghosts under your bed, ponder with the thought that your parents instead of saying 'that's alright honey, there is no such thing as ghosts, now go back to sleep' would become white in the face and call an exorcist... and the next morning, the entire village would say 'there was a ghost in their house last night'... and the old 'seer' lady would say 'I sense the presence of a young maiden who killed herself close to that spot'... etc. Not to mention taking part in rituals attempting to placate spirits on a regular basis, as part of your upbringing...

Would you perhaps be compelled to think ghosts were real?

Thats very true, but it doesn't mean there actually wasn't something there for real. If ghosts do exist then they must be redundant as far as being able to actually harm people otherwise it would have been a bloodbath by now. If they don't exist then the point is mute. So whether the ghost was or was not under the bed, there would be no conclusive evidence to say either way so either reaction you listed would be rational to different people.

Not personally, but ocassionaly get that funny "hairs on the back of my neck" experience. Or the goose bumps "someone just walked over my grave" feeling.

Does that count?

I get that hairs on the neck feeling to, mainly at work, in the "High Voltage Switch Yards" when I get a bit to close to the 330kV. :o

I had an employee who bought some kind of ghost detector which would flash lights if it "detected" anything.

He was checking out his house it started flashing and while he was trying to find his "ghost" he fell off his balcony and put his back out.

Of course, this convinced him that the device worked and that the "ghosts" didn't want him to find them and so caused him to fall! :o

Nothing would convince him that it was a load of cr@p.

Years ago when I was a roving backpacker I stayed one night at the Mutmee guesthouse in Nong Khai on the banks of the Mekhong river. There were 3 rooms connected under a thatched roof, the floor was about a foot above the ground, everything made of wood.

About 1 am I woke up to hear a loud banging noise coming from the floor, somewhat startled I called out to my neighbour, asking him what he was doing. What are you doing was his reply, he'd heard it too.

I tried to doze off but a few minutes later the same noise started again; feeling irritated, I jumped out of bed, down the few steps and had a good look under the bungalow. There was nothing there, the neighbour joined me and he came to the same conclusion.

In the morning I mentioned it to the gardener,' oh', he said, not in the least surprised,' this is the old burial ground for this part of Nong Khai, the sick and diseased were often left here, I often hear their spirits wandering'.

Indeed the hospital today is just a stone's throw away.

But don't let me put you off staying at Mutmee's, the surroundings are very pleasant and the ghost didn't do any harm.

well ive never seen a ghost, but have been woken up twice when i fell asleep on the frreway doing 110 km/h. It felt like someone pushed my head forward when my head went back. But it also could of just been an adrenilen (spelling) rush as your body gets them at time it feels your in danger (so ive been told)

i went to a cremation of a good friend yesterday. he was an older man, a gem of a human being, and passed away at 74 years of age from cancer.

he had been living on an island in the south of the country and had to be brought over to phuket for the funeral. i went to meet the entourage at the pier and we went off the temple.

his wife told me that on the way over, she was quite upset at seeing him lying on the floor of the boat all wrapped up in white, and she said to him 'i need a hug'. suddenly she felt a definite pressure on her shoulders as if he was, indeed, giving her a hug.

i also dreamt about him the night before the funeral. i saw him lying on a bench with just his head sticking out of a white sheet (which at that stage I did not know he would be wrapped in). i approached him and asked him 'are you scared of dying?'.

'no' he replied. 'but im scared of my wife being alone after im gone'.

i relayed this to his wife and she told me that that is exactly what he had said to her when he had been approaching death.

ghost? i dont know. but it sure did happen to me this week.

Sorry to hear about your friend Donna.

Last year I was staying in a hotel with a group of customers (I am a tour leader) in a remote part of Laos. The hotel was lovely but very basic and remote. At about 5am someone banged on my door and shouted for help. I leapt out of bed and within perhaps 3 seconds had opened the door. No one was there and the courtyard was empty. There was absolutely no way someone could have done a runner so I dismissed it as a dream.

I had this really nagging feeling though so called my wife and friends back in Thailand and they were all fine. I rang my parents to check all was ok in the Uk and it was. I spoke to a couple of the group at breakfast who had been in the room next to mine and they said all that they had heard was me shout "Wait" and a second later heard my door being flung open. There was no way they would have heard that and not the sound of my door being hammered on. I decided that I was just tired and stressed so got on with the day at hand. But all day I knew something was wrong and that evening when I got to the hotel they informed me that back in the UK one of my customer's mothers had had a stroke.

Before I informed my customer I decided to call the family to get further information and to enquire as to the exact time of the stroke. And yes you've guessed it, she had the stroke at the same time as I had heard the banging on my door.

That one freaked me out a little bit. Can't explain it but it happened exactly as I described.

I have never believed in ghosts, or anything else not of this earth. However my wife, like many of her Thai friends certainly does. She is also very superstitious - every little thing has some meaning - an itchy hand, a dream etc - all means something or other.

Anyway, this is what happened last year:

We were visiting my brother up in the north east of England. We were staying in his daughter’s bedroom. Six months earlier, his daughter had given birth prematurely to twins, who sadly had died after a difficult four week struggle.

During the first night, our baby daughter started to cry. This was very unusual for her as she was normally very good at night. As my wife was comforting her, she glanced up at the wall and saw a photograph of the twins that was taken in the hospital. She immediately started to speculate about the cause of our daughter’s crying.

I managed to calm her with all my usual sensitive reassurances (don’t be silly woman) kind of thing. We settled back in the bed and within a few minutes, my wife felt something under the pillow. She jumped up, startled and I turned on the light. In my wife’s hand was a small hospital tag with one of the twins name on it. The bed had been freshly made that evening!

Well you can imagine her reaction. After waking up the whole house there was a big commotion and everyone ended up crowded in our room. After explaining to my sister in law, over the screams, what had happened, we then discovered this:

My niece had kept the hospital tags and put them on a teddy bear, which in turn was left on the bed. At some point the tag had come off and fallen onto the pillow. Mystery solved? Try telling my wife that!

P.S. There is a happier ending as two weeks ago my niece gave birth to a healthy baby girl.

The Thais on the whole seem to have a strong beleif in the spirit world. Most claim to have had some sort of supernatural experience or sighting. Have you ever spoke to a Thai about ghosts and then been half convinced by thier enthusiasm that they really do exist. or have you had any supernatural experience yourself. ??????

:D

My Thai girlfriend is typically thai in her reactions to anytjing about ghosts, but i have never talked to her about them.

I have had several strange experiences with spooky occurences, but never actually seen a "ghost". One experience that I had when I was a teenager (about 15 years) is a good example. I was watching television, and my mother told me I had to go to bed as tomorrow was a school day. I asked her to let me stay up until the end of the show I was watching. She agreed, but made me insist on going to bed as soon as the show ended. My parents then went to bed. About 30 minutes later my show ended. I shut off the television, and went to my room to get ready for bed. I then thought I heard the sound of the television so I went back into the living room. The television was on. I just assumed I must have left it on by mistake. I then turned it off. I left the room to go back to my bedroom, and just as I went through the door, I heard the television turn itself back on. I knew there was no one in the room when I left. I looked back inside the room I had just left. It was of course, empty. I knew I had turned the television off at least once (frankly I think it was twice). It took all my courage to go back into the living room and turn the television off again. This time it stayed off. Never was able to explain why the television could turn itself on again after I turned it off.

:o

My Thai girlfriend is typically thai in her reactions to anytjing about ghosts, but i have never talked to her about them.

I have had several strange experiences with spooky occurences, but never actually seen a "ghost". One experience that I had when I was a teenager (about 15 years) is a good example. I was watching television, and my mother told me I had to go to bed as tomorrow was a school day. I asked her to let me stay up until the end of the show I was watching. She agreed, but made me insist on going to bed as soon as the show ended. My parents then went to bed. About 30 minutes later my show ended. I shut off the television, and went to my room to get ready for bed. I then thought I heard the sound of the television so I went back into the living room. The television was on. I just assumed I must have left it on by mistake. I then turned it off. I left the room to go back to my bedroom, and just as I went through the door, I heard the television turn itself back on. I knew there was no one in the room when I left. I looked back inside the room I had just left. It was of course, empty. I knew I had turned the television off at least once (frankly I think it was twice). It took all my courage to go back into the living room and turn the television off again. This time it stayed off. Never was able to explain why the television could turn itself on again after I turned it off.

:o

After I signed off, I thought of a situtaion that had more to do with Thailand. not a ghost, but the type of thing tht happens to me all the time. I was dating a Thai girl. She had two children by a previous marriage. She would come to see me, if her mother could baby-sit that night. Anyway, that day I was talking to this girl. She said she would come to see me that night if her mother got back from "up-country" in time. She said she would call me if she could be there. I was naturally waiting for her call. It was warm and I had a window open in the guesthouse I was staying at. I could hear the phone ringing downstairs at the reception. The phone rang, and as soon as I heard it ring i knew that it was my girlfriend, that her mother was back from up-country, that she waould be coming to meet me that night, and i also knew that she would meet me at a restuarant nearby (she lived o other side of Bangkok) so we usually met at that restaurant before we went out for the night. I also picked up the fact that she would meet me at 7 pm in that restaurant. The reception then put the call through to my room. I answered the phone and it was my girlfriend who then told me all the information I already knew. the only difference was that she agreed to met me at 8 pm instead of 7 pm. Later, while I was talking to her, I mentioned the experience withthe phone call. I told my girlfriend how wierd it was that I knew the details before i talked to hear as soon as the phone rang. I said that the only thing i had wrong was that she would meet me at 7 pm rather than 8 pm. She looked surprised, and said that at the time she made the phone call to me, she was thinking of meeting me at 7 pm. only at the last minute she thought that she might not have time to get ready by 7 pm, so she changed the time to meet to 8 pm AFTER she had made the phone call. So you see, at the time I got the call, I knew the details of what she was thinking as she made the call before she told me. The only reason I got the time wrong was that she changed her mind about the time of our meeting after she made the call.

I can feel the presence of ghosts in some places.

I get the chill up the spine. The last time was in my mates new house-warming party in UK. Everytime I wentt up to the toilet I got this weird feeling walking up the stairs - I told my wife who said she had the same feeling. My friend said later in the night that there had been an old, handicapped guy who died in the house previously - and he had just removed one of those moving seats from the staircase.

Coincedence or what?

I get the chill up the spine. The last time was in my mates new house-warming party in UK. Everytime I wentt up to the toilet I got this weird feeling walking up the stairs - I told my wife who said she had the same feeling. My friend said later in the night that there had been an old, handicapped guy who died in the house previously - and he had just removed one of those moving seats from the staircase.

Coincedence or what?

most people are completely incapable of assessing coincidence correctly…they also fall foul of the my cat-has-4-legs principal.

Dogs have 4 legs; my cat has 4 legs so it must be a dog……

And as for interpreting senses…we can’t even rely on our own eyesight……let alone “feelings”.

Coincedence or what?

most people are completely incapable of assessing coincidence correctly…they also fall foul of the my cat-has-4-legs principal.

And as for interpreting senses…we can’t even rely on our own eyesight……let alone “feelings”.

So you think that IMA-Farang last posting about his phonecall is a coincidence? Don't you ever think things like 'I must call Tom ina minute' and seconds later Tom calls you? Those kind of things happen a lot and are often dismissed as a coincidence. Whilst there are many coincidences out there I don't believe that all such instances can be put down to it.

What's your opinion on my earlier posting about the person banging on my door (I'm interested as I don't have one to be honest)? I would agree with the coincidence theory for that sound happening at the same time she had the stroke, but I remember vividly the nagging feeling all day that something bad had happened and that someone needed my help. I'm not sure if its a proverbial cat or dog scenario (as you concisely put it), I would like to hear your ideas as a cat lover. Thanks :o

Coincedence or what?

So you think that IMA-Farang last posting about his phonecall is a coincidence? Don't you ever think things like 'I must call Tom ina minute' and seconds later Tom calls you? Those kind of things happen a lot and are often dismissed as a coincidence. Whilst there are many coincidences out there I don't believe that all such instances can be put down to it.

What's your opinion on my earlier posting about the person banging on my door (I'm interested as I don't have one to be honest)? I would agree with the coincidence theory for that sound happening at the same time she had the stroke, but I remember vividly the nagging feeling all day that something bad had happened and that someone needed my help. I'm not sure if its a proverbial cat or dog scenario (as you concisely put it), I would like to hear your ideas as a cat lover. Thanks :D

Utter bunkum...just because you don't know what it is doesn't mean it's a ghost....for heaven sake this is baby talk, a subject for the mayor of Simpleton...pull yourself together... :o:D:D

Edited by wilko

Coincedence or what?

What's your opinion on my earlier posting about the person banging on my door (I'm interested as I don't have one to be honest)? I would agree with the coincidence theory for that sound happening at the same time she had the stroke, but I remember vividly the nagging feeling all day that something bad had happened and that someone needed my help. I'm not sure if its a proverbial cat or dog scenario (as you concisely put it), I would like to hear your ideas as a cat lover. Thanks :D

Utter bunkum...just because you don't know what it is doesn't mean it's a ghost....for heaven sake this is baby talk, a subject for the mayor of Simpleton...pull yourself together... :o:D:D

I fully understand your opinions on the matter, and that you are a firm believer in the fact that ghosts do not exist. What I was curious to know is your interpretation of it if it cannot be a ghost. I'm not argueing to try and swing you around (the Mayor of Simpleton advised against such behaviour :D ) as I am not sure what I think myself. Just wanted your opinion as a man of science as opposed to others who are based in faith.

Coincedence or what?

I fully understand your opinions on the matter, and that you are a firm believer in the fact that ghosts do not exist. What I was curious to know is your interpretation of it if it cannot be a ghost. I'm not argueing to try and swing you around (the Mayor of Simpleton advised against such behaviour :D ) as I am not sure what I think myself. Just wanted your opinion as a man of science as opposed to others who are based in faith.

you are making various assumptions...

1. that if it isn't a ghost science must be able to explain it. (4 leg theory)

2. that I am a man of science

3. that am am someone who gives a D***!

Coincedence or what?

Ok, Ok! No problems. I did assume you gave a D*** as you have made numerous postings on this thread. I guess the term 'a man of science' was meant to mean 'someone who believes in a different explanation than that of the supernatural'. As for the science explaining it, if it doesn't then it is probably to remain unexplained. Sorry to have inferred that you cared Wilko but you did dismiss it all outright which is an indication that you have some feelings towards the subject matter. I will refrain from asking your opinion on it any further.

Coincedence or what?

Ok, Ok! No problems. I did assume you gave a D*** as you have made numerous postings on this thread. I guess the term 'a man of science' was meant to mean 'someone who believes in a different explanation than that of the supernatural'. As for the science explaining it, if it doesn't then it is probably to remain unexplained. Sorry to have inferred that you cared Wilko but you did dismiss it all outright which is an indication that you have some feelings towards the subject matter. I will refrain from asking your opinion on it any further.

No just bored....but I do get a feeling just before I go to the tiolet....which is just as well really...

Coincedence or what?

No just bored....but I do get a feeling just before I go to the tiolet....which is just as well really...

Enjoy those warm earie feelings my friend, they say that as we get older we learn to tune them out! Although you are exorcising 'The Ghost of Dinner Past'!