American falls to his death from 5/fl of Bangkok's Nana Hotel

webfact

Word on the soi: he was having a drink in the early hours with a lady at or near Bar 4. Her boyfriend took exception. Backed with 3 buddies the fight began and continued at Nana Hotel. It was 4 on 1. One man is dead and Bar 4 is closed for a week.

You've missed out the bit about him refusing to pay his bill which is apparently what started it. It ended when he received some assistance to fall from the 5th floor. Those who killed him are known in the area to the locals.

• Like 1

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word on the soi: he was having a drink in the early hours with a lady at or near Bar 4. Her boyfriend took exception. Backed with 3 buddies the fight began and continued at Nana Hotel. It was 4 on 1. One man is dead and Bar 4 is closed for a week.

You've missed out the bit about him refusing to pay his bill which is apparently what started it. It ended when he received some assistance to fall from the 5th floor. Those who killed him are known in the area to the locals.

Terrible way to go and all over a bill for some drinks? Anyone see the 'how did this article make you feel?' Poll on the website. Highly inappropriate IMO given how stupid the responses can be on the internet.

about seventeen years ago i was making a phone call to my daughter back in the uk from the front desk of a hotel in soi buchouw, a young lady approached me and in a very loud and agitated state she

was trying to tell me something, i would describe her as terrified so i asked the front desk staff

if they could understand her, i was told she was korean and was drunk and that she was always

making a fuss.i spotted a friend sittimg in the hotel lobby and went over and sat with him to ask

his thoughts on this incedent, the korean girl had got in the lift when i had turned to the hotel

staff. twenty minutes later water started trickeling down the lobby from the lift area and twenty

mins after that they found the korean girl in a uttilities shaft.

the staff all stuck to the same story that she was suicidal after splitting with her boyfriend their

problem was how does a small girl jump eight feet in the air (no ladder was found)undo the access to

the shaft and close it after jumping. i asked about the girl in the nearby bars and the people who

knew her said yes she liked a drink but was a normal girl.

tourism is important to thailand and crimes against tourists is bad news,and it seems sometimes the

truth is not wellcome here.

things can spiral out of control here for the most bizare reasons,rip and thoughts to his family.

• Like 2

killed over refusing to pay his bill? or talking to a girl in Nana and her BF didn't like it? so they killed him??? such good Buddhists

RIP a HUGE price to pay for a minor infraction hope *sigh* justice is served

• Like 1

A reliable source informs that a fight involving broken bottle etc took place in Bar 4, adjacent to travel agent and Golden Bar and Nana Hotel and spilled onto street. Bar is apparently closed and under investigation.

There is no such phrase as 'fair fight' in Thai. Will anyone be prosecuted? Do bears live on the moon?

• Like 2

killed over refusing to pay his bill? or talking to a girl in Nana and her BF didn't like it? so they killed him??? such good Buddhists

RIP a HUGE price to pay for a minor infraction hope *sigh* justice is served

post-9891-0-45527900-1410662459_thumb.jp

After 48 hours, there is still no official statement from the investigating authorities?

Thais are generally ethics-less animals when they feel slighted. That is true across the societal spectrum of education levels and wealth stratification. The sooner foreigners realize that, the safer they'll be. We are not in a modern country. Don't mistake the smiles for kindness. RIP to the American.

After 48 hours, there is still no official statement from the investigating authorities?

Not really a big news story, not sure what you were expecting. Not even sure this would classify as news in many places ... guy acting strangely and aggressively in one of the seediest areas of a country getting into a scuffle and dying, likely by offing himself. Beyond finding out who had earlier got into a scuffle with, not sure what more there is to report beyond autopsy results and toxicological reports which will take weeks if not months to be available and again not sure this rates as that newsworthy to be followed up on unless they find some mystery poison in him and turned out he was some kind of spy or foreign agent.

• Like 1

Not really a big news story, not sure what you were expecting. Not even sure this would classify as news in many places ... guy acting strangely and aggressively in one of the seediest areas of a country getting into a scuffle and dying, likely by offing himself. Beyond finding out who had earlier got into a scuffle with, not sure what more there is to report beyond autopsy results and toxicological reports which will take weeks if not months to be available and again not sure this rates as that newsworthy to be followed up on unless they find some mystery poison in him and turned out he was some kind of spy or foreign agent.

I think this is newsworthy. American, beaten by a gang of thugs, slashed and stabbed in the face with a broken bottle, chased, runs into hotel, pursued by gang, staff don't intervene or assist, pushed from fifth floor and dies, that's newsworthy. Anyone who disagrees with the idiot who wrote the above post, perhaps a local, maybe a bar owner, maybe just another falang apologist for foul and disgusting behavior of locals, please do your best to make sure this becomes news.

Unless I missed something in the news - the only bad behavior that has been confirmed was committed by the deceased who abused the staff that tried to help him. We have no idea how his previous injuries came about be they self inflicted, brought on by his own strange and aggressive behavior or even if it was a foreigner or local who he may have scuffled with. Unless the OP is completely off in its report, it seems clear this guy took his own life and was acting aggressively, strangely and paranoid before he did. You anger, racist tones and imagination have seem to have gotten the better of you.

Over all a sad but not uncommon story and always tragic when somebody takes their own life over a temporary problem, especially if they have loved ones who will suffer from the death.

*Suicide the 10th leading cause of death in the world. Jumping / falling from a high structure is the 3rd most common form of suicide. The number one reason for suicide is mental illness.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

not good to speculate on what happens in darkness, sometimes a man jus wants to party but never knows if that nose candy has been stepped on - so many people go whacko when spiked with a little scopa, angels dust or maybe even shaboo all I can say is when u play with the devil u play with your life, sometimes it is not even drug but ladyboy slipping voodoo powder to u when u least suspect

God bless him

Yea to be honest I feel lucky with my spiking situation. Thing is with me it was early evening and I wasn't even partying, I was drinking a coke outside of a Burger King, then two middle aged Thai women sat in front of me sparked up a conversation. One said that her niece was coming soon and it was her birthday. After that I remember very little to say the least. I woke up in a random guesthouse with my laptop gone, my cards but they left my wallet, how kind. 60k also was gone from my account.

Went to the tourist police and they said that they work in gangs and move from town to town, used fake names at the guest house etc. Basically no chance of my stuff getting returned. So still under the effect of the rohypnol I returned to my place where my mate looked at me with horror and asked where the hell I had been. I spent the next day or so in bed still in a fog, lucky they didn't give me a fatal dose or kill me I guess.

How did they get your pin to withdraw the 60k with your cards?

Coincidentally I withdrew a lot from the kasikorn bank that day and was about to go home after that coke

So Coincidentally the money was gone from your account before you met the women.

I am amazed at how many people here are willing to believe 'word on the soi' rumours about what really happened here. It seems that family members and friends of the victim are reading this forum, and I can only imagine how it would feel to read some of the comments that have been posted here.

• Like 1

If you choose to ignore the fact that he was helped on his journey from the 5th floor to the ground.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you choose to ignore the fact that he was helped on his journey from the 5th floor to the ground.

How do u know he was "helped" ? if u have evidence then we are dealing with a murder which is the work of satan so either get the FBI on the case or get out the holy water

I am amazed at how many people here are willing to believe 'word on the soi' rumours about what really happened here. It seems that family members and friends of the victim are reading this forum, and I can only imagine how it would feel to read some of the comments that have been posted here.

Of course his death is regrettable, but then so is blind faith in someone who did do something, not was rumoured to have done something, in an unsavoury part of Bangkok that attracted retribution.

Of course his death is regrettable, but then so is blind faith in someone who did do something, not was rumoured to have done something, in an unsavoury part of Bangkok that attracted retribution.

You're not getting - how do you know that he 'did something that attracted retribution'? There may have been a misunderstanding. People may have tried to drug and rob him etc etc. Any number of possibilities might come to mind. So why indulge in rumour mongering and idle speculation that impugn the reputation of the victim and cause hurt to his friends and family. Most have us have learned that its inappropriate to blame female victims of violence but we seem to have no such qualms about male victims ... a number of the comments here get awfully close to 'blaming the victim'.

• Like 2

closing time for bars is 2am so I do not think they would leave them open till the morning without police and security and that no farang would be so kind to assist fellow farang is soooo sad

"closing time for bars is 2am so I do not think they would leave them open till the morning..."

At the time of this incident there were some bars in that area, not just in Soi 4, that were open very late (2am closing has since then been enforced, temporarily probably), regardless of what you may think.

"...that no farang would be so kind to assist fellow farang is soooo sad."

That's so naive and easily said from behind the protection of a computer keyboard.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How do u know he was "helped" ? if u have evidence then we are dealing with a murder which is the work of satan so either get the FBI on the case or get out the holy water

I know, as do many other people with links in that area. Whether you choose to believe me or not is not my concern. I responded on this thread because some posters asked if anyone did know what happened.

You're not getting - how do you know that he 'did something that attracted retribution'? There may have been a misunderstanding. People may have tried to drug and rob him etc etc. Any number of possibilities might come to mind. So why indulge in rumour mongering and idle speculation that impugn the reputation of the victim and cause hurt to his friends and family. Most have us have learned that its inappropriate to blame female victims of violence but we seem to have no such qualms about male victims ... a number of the comments here get awfully close to 'blaming the victim'.

"There may have been a misunderstanding."

There was an initial misunderstanding that escalated, he misunderstood that he could not go to a bar, order drinks then attempt to get away without paying for them

"Any number of possibilities might come to mind."

Of course they might, but I'm not talking about possibilities.

If what you say, "People may have tried to drug and rob him etc etc", is not "rumour-mongering and idle speculation" then what is?

I'm not apportioning blame to anyone, I'm simply saying what I, and others, know happened, without speculating.

Edited by Triplebank999

Imagined facts and actual facts are two different things. Unless some very contradictory information comes out, seems fairly clear he fell/jumped from his room without the help of anyone else.

• Like 1

I know, as do many other people with links in that area. Whether you choose to believe me or not is not my concern. I responded on this thread because some posters asked if anyone did know what happened.

"There may have been a misunderstanding."

There was an initial misunderstanding that escalated, he misunderstood that he could not go to a bar, order drinks then attempt to get away without paying for them

"Any number of possibilities might come to mind."

Of course they might, but I'm not talking about possibilities.

If what you say, "People may have tried to drug and rob him etc etc", is not "rumour-mongering and idle speculation" then what is?

I'm not apportioning blame to anyone, I'm simply saying what I, and others, know happened, without speculating.

While clearly we are speculating one way or another - I would lean towards his getting himself into some trouble based on the way he acted towards hotel staff. While certainly possible he received some sort of head injury that cause him to behave this way or was drugged for some reason with a drug that brings on aggression ... it would seem more plausible he was intoxicated and/or having a mental issue. Though no other facts to support this, his behavior reported is text book of somebody getting off their medication.

closing time for bars is 2am so I do not think they would leave them open till the morning without police and security and that no farang would be so kind to assist fellow farang is soooo sad

"closing time for bars is 2am so I do not think they would leave them open till the morning..."

At the time of this incident there were some bars in that area, not just in Soi 4, that were open very late (2am closing has since then been enforced, temporarily probably), regardless of what you may think.

"...that no farang would be so kind to assist fellow farang is soooo sad."

That's so naive and easily said from behind the protection of a computer keyboard.

The regular bars do close at 2:00 AM but then the street vending bars on the sidewalk serve until close to 6:00 AM and there are still many drunkards and prostitutes on the street. Beyond the prostitutes the majority of people and customers on the street are intoxicated farangs. Also some clubs are permitted to stay open until the early morning hours but probably not a typical place for a guy of this age to be but certainly could have been if he likes loud techno/house music and not being able to talk while in the club.

** Have not been there in a while and things may have changes since the government changed hands but this is the way it has been there.

i've done some pretty stupid things before.. and not just in thailand... in cambodia, malaysia and parts of china as well..

and by stupid.. i don't always mean intentionally.. sometimes the stupid just happens to you.. like a misunderstanding with the locals..

or the other time i was stalked by the pimp i ignored...

and the other time i was minding my own biz.. hanging out in James street in Perth city... and this 2 black dudes come up to me and ask which country i'm from.... they asked if i was from malaysia.. i said no.. they said.. have a nice evening.. and left me..

a couple of minutes later.. a whole bunch of gangsters were chasing these 4-5 malaysians... and they had knives and bottles and shouting and i'm sure they were gonna do some damage to those poor fellas...

sometimes shit happens and it isn't always something stupid that we did.. just wrong place at the wrong time...

RIP Kevin. i sure hope justice is done.. somehow.

• Like 1

On behalf of Kevin's family, I would like to request any information regarding this incident to be sent to the email address provided below.

Please help us to understand the truth and details of what happened to our loving husband, father and friend, Kevin Curley. Any information will be much appreciated in order to help bring justice.

We ask that you withhold speculations or judgments, please provide only truthful facts. Thank you.

Info to be emailed to:

**** E-mail address removed, please use PM function to make contact ****

Edited by metisdead
17) Do not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to non-commercial sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile
  • Like 1

There seems to be alot mising from this story, it has not come to light as to what really took place prior to him going into the Nana hotel. There was no mention of him not paying a bill at all as he wasnt drinking , he seemed to be under the influence of something ( not verifide ) while fighting with his Thai girlfriend who worked nearby, from what I was told within 15 minutes of the incedent , they had a real punchup in front of the said bar ( bar was closed this was outside ) prior to him walking up the street towards nana hotel.

Nobody knows why he went up into nana hotel and the investigation is ongoing as they questioned close to 15 people that morning (and watched CCTV footage from a bar infront of nana hotel) who were there at the time of the argument between him and a thai lady. from what i was told she didnt even go after him. 10 minutes later the staff at the hotel were yelling for assistance after he fell.

there is alot more to this story and I think more will be made available after the full investigation is done.

Regardless how it happend its a sad ending to a long night.

• Like 1