American falls to his death from 5/fl of Bangkok's Nana Hotel

webfact

On behalf of Kevin's family, I would like to request any information regarding this incident to be sent to the email address provided below.

Please help us to understand the truth and details of what happened to our loving husband, father and friend, Kevin Curley. Any information will be much appreciated in order to help bring justice.

We ask that you withhold speculations or judgments, please provide only truthful facts. Thank you.

Info to be emailed to:

**** E-mail address removed, please use PM function to make contact ****

I suggest you have the family contact the embassy, police and coroner rather than rely on people on the internet as not one person here has claimed to know the facts or have been there and even if they do, it is suspect.

In fact, I would suspect the embassy has already been in touch with the family as required.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/death-of-a-us-citizen.html

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be alot mising from this story, it has not come to light as to what really took place prior to him going into the Nana hotel. There was no mention of him not paying a bill at all as he wasnt drinking , he seemed to be under the influence of something ( not verifide ) while fighting with his Thai girlfriend who worked nearby, from what I was told within 15 minutes of the incedent , they had a real punchup in front of the said bar ( bar was closed this was outside ) prior to him walking up the street towards nana hotel.

Nobody knows why he went up into nana hotel and the investigation is ongoing as they questioned close to 15 people that morning (and watched CCTV footage from a bar infront of nana hotel) who were there at the time of the argument between him and a thai lady. from what i was told she didnt even go after him. 10 minutes later the staff at the hotel were yelling for assistance after he fell.

there is alot more to this story and I think more will be made available after the full investigation is done.

Regardless how it happend its a sad ending to a long night.

Pattaya Daily News reported he was staying at the hotel. Also mentioned an iron bar he had and threw at staff who went to assist him while he was trying to hide in the lobby. I would suspect that Nana hotel has security cameras on each floor if not just in the lobby.

• Like 1

In 1968 a few friends and myself were spending the weekend in Bangkok away from our normal base of Camp Vayama, Sattahip.

We were somewhat under the weather and ended up on the 5th floor of the Nana Hotel trying to urinate on people walking in.

The management took exception to this and informed us that we were no longer welcome.

We told them when we left that we would never do business with them again. I have kept that promise.

The only connection with this tragedy is that we were all American and on the 5th floor. But what the hell, I like telling that story.

If it were me telling that tale, I would omit the fact that we were Americans. I wonder what your reaction would have been upon entering the hotel to receive a golden shower before you even reached your room.

Americans, on the whole, are a bunch of decent folks, too bad you seem to be the exception.

I kind of got a good chuckle out the story .... Seeing as it was more than 40 years ago and he was a drunken young lad at the time, it all makes perfect sense. I would have loved to have seen it.

But then again, I'm American!

P.s. Most of us are pretty decent folks, just like the rest of the world.

Edited by Chaz1819
  • Like 1

In 1968 a few friends and myself were spending the weekend in Bangkok away from our normal base of Camp Vayama, Sattahip.

We were somewhat under the weather and ended up on the 5th floor of the Nana Hotel trying to urinate on people walking in.

The management took exception to this and informed us that we were no longer welcome.

We told them when we left that we would never do business with them again. I have kept that promise.

The only connection with this tragedy is that we were all American and on the 5th floor. But what the hell, I like telling that story.

If it were me telling that tale, I would omit the fact that we were Americans. I wonder what your reaction would have been upon entering the hotel to receive a golden shower before you even reached your room.

Americans, on the whole, are a bunch of decent folks, too bad you seem to be the exception.

I kind of got a good chuckle out the story .... Seeing as it was more than 40 years ago and he was a drunken young lad at the time, it all makes perfect sense. I would have loved to have seen it.

Bet you would get just as much of a kick out of drunked Thai soldiers on leave peeing on tourist going into a hotel --- sounds like it would be hilarious... not

• Like 2

To clarify my earlier posts, when I asked mamasans and ladies in nearby bars, about the Bar 4 closure, they said 'Someone died.' When I asked if it was related to the man falling from Nana Hotel, they replied, 'Yes.' Further questions brought up the concepts that he was drinking with a lady and her BF didn't like it. A fight broke out. It moved to the hotel, somehow, and continued there.

No one mentioned anything to me about an unpaid bill; bar, lady or otherwise. No one mentioned anything untoward about Bar 4 that doesn't happen at other bars on Nana. In fact it's my perception that this bar is far cleaner than others on the soi.

Bet you would get just as much of a kick out of drunked Thai soldiers on leave peeing on tourist going into a hotel --- sounds like it would be hilarious... not

If it was 40 years later and they were reminiscing about being drunk and stupid, probably yes. Hilarious is a stretch, but a chuckle sure.

To clarify my earlier posts, when I asked mamasans and ladies in nearby bars, about the Bar 4 closure, they said 'Someone died.' When I asked if it was related to the man falling from Nana Hotel, they replied, 'Yes.' Further questions brought up the concepts that he was drinking with a lady and her BF didn't like it. A fight broke out. It moved to the hotel, somehow, and continued there.

No one mentioned anything to me about an unpaid bill; bar, lady or otherwise. No one mentioned anything untoward about Bar 4 that doesn't happen at other bars on Nana. In fact it's my perception that this bar is far cleaner than others on the soi.

When did Bar 4 start staying open past two or until 5 AM? And any idea why they would close the bar due to a death not at the bar?

Lots of smoke and mirrors. I certainly think him being violently attacked by locals over somethong small is not out of the question. A tragic end and I sincerely hope that the real facts come out, but i suspect it will be covered up.

• Like 2

Word on the soi: he was having a drink in the early hours with a lady at or near Bar 4. Her boyfriend took exception. Backed with 3 buddies the fight began and continued at Nana Hotel. It was 4 on 1. One man is dead and Bar 4 is closed for a week.

You've missed out the bit about him refusing to pay his bill which is apparently what started it. It ended when he received some assistance to fall from the 5th floor. Those who killed him are known in the area to the locals.

After 48 hours, there is still no official statement from the investigating authorities?

Not really a big news story, not sure what you were expecting. Not even sure this would classify as news in many places ... guy acting strangely and aggressively in one of the seediest areas of a country getting into a scuffle and dying, likely by offing himself. Beyond finding out who had earlier got into a scuffle with, not sure what more there is to report beyond autopsy results and toxicological reports which will take weeks if not months to be available and again not sure this rates as that newsworthy to be followed up on unless they find some mystery poison in him and turned out he was some kind of spy or foreign agent.

Not really a big news story, not sure what you were expecting.

I expecting the truth of what happened.

After 48 hours, there is still no official statement from the investigating authorities?

Not really a big news story, not sure what you were expecting. Not even sure this would classify as news in many places ... guy acting strangely and aggressively in one of the seediest areas of a country getting into a scuffle and dying, likely by offing himself. Beyond finding out who had earlier got into a scuffle with, not sure what more there is to report beyond autopsy results and toxicological reports which will take weeks if not months to be available and again not sure this rates as that newsworthy to be followed up on unless they find some mystery poison in him and turned out he was some kind of spy or foreign agent.

Not really a big news story, not sure what you were expecting.

I expecting the truth of what happened.

Have you been lied to? How much more details you need? Guy is dead, fell or jumped from a high story nothing to indicate he was pushed or shoved. Prior to his death sounds like he likely got into a scuffle with somebody in one of the biggest red light bar districts in the world that attracts sexpats, drunkards and other low levels of society. Would you be obsessed with the nitty gritty details if this was back in your home country, assuming your home country has big cities with very seedy areas where crime, fights and even death is not uncommon?

Does it really matter what or with whom he got into a fight with prior? Does it really matter if he committed suicide or was in some paranoid state that cause him to accidentally fall? I can understand the family maybe thinking they want to know but really none of our business unless we just want to play internet detective or point fingers.

I get the feeling many will never know the truth simply because they can't accept that Farangs die in Thailand due to their own actions as so many do in their own country. Unless it can be shown it is a Thai's fault then there will be no truth.

Unless some strange twist of events come to light, you have the truth but who knows, maybe authorities will create a website for internet detectives to be able to download all the video from all the cameras in the area along with providing audio of all the witnesses interviewed with full translations into all the worlds major languages as well as photos of the witnesses and a full history of their lives so we can better guage if they are telling the truth. Not to mention ever uncensored photo and video of the death scene, the victims room as well as full details on all his movements the last week and full records check of his life.

• Like 1

There was a report in Thairath about the incident.
Nana hotel staff said he was unsteady on his feet when he first came into the hotel like he was drunk or intoxicated in some manner.
He went through the lobby and out the back. Staff followed him to inquire what he was doing, but he seemed to be in a state of panic and ran away, climbing up the fire escape ladder. Staff followed him up to the 5th floor whereupon he ran amok picking up a nearby metal object and throwing it at them. The staff retreated back downstairs to inform the manager and as they were doing so they heard a loud thump which at first they didn't associate with him having fallen off the hotel and put down to him throwing more objects. When they went back upstairs they couldn't find him and on looking out a window saw his body lying on an awning on the second floor level so they called the police.
Investigating officer Police Lieutenant Ying Kritsana Wisapa said that the deceased had been in the country for only one day, staying at the Erawan Hotel on Ratchadamri Road in BKK's Lumpinee district. CCTV footage showed him entering the Nana hotel after which he became violent and started throwing things at the staff, who will be called in for questioning. They are also waiting for the results of the autopsy.

Khao Sod gives a slightly different version with a few more details missing from Thairath, namely that he ran into the hotel lobby after having being attacked, his face covered in blood before running out the back and up the fire escape.

Edited by katana
  • Like 1

Since he was a good man , I believe that someone could have put something in his drink , that would explain his behavior in the hotel lobby . So lets hope there are CCTV cameras in the lift and lobby that could help the investigation.

Lots of smoke and mirrors. I certainly think him being violently attacked by locals over somethong small is not out of the question. A tragic end and I sincerely hope that the real facts come out, but i suspect it will be covered up.

Robbery turned ugly.

sounds like he lost something large and irreplaceable, and lost his mind, while under the influence of something very strong

if he climbed the fireplace, he probably slipped using it to go down,

up is not the same as down when your balance is at issue

My God John Thailand, please tone down your comments! There are family members and friends reading this thread in the hope an eye witness may be found, please stop insinuating he committed suicide and constant references he was in a red light district. SO WHAT! If you can't post something useful please go stalk another thread. To the victims family, I hope you find justice to this tragic situation.

The embassy would have already contacted the family and will work them and the police to provide details of of what happened based on facts and witness statements. If somebody on Thaivisa was a witness and didn't go to the police then I would find their claims highly suspect. ALL reports coming from the news via witness statements currently indicate he was not pushed or murdered. At least one report also indicate he did have a room there that police searched. While this could be in error, it certainly is common for people who visit Nana to get rooms there, even if they are staying somewhere else, since they are conveniently located where the working girls are. (http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/assaulted-american-falls-hotel-5th-floor-bangkok/)

To say you hope the family find justice seems like an unhelpful thing to say as there is no indication in any reports to date that somebody killed him or that he was even robbed or drugged.

I certainly wish the family the best during this tough time and hope they come to peace with what happened as I do the tens of millions of families who lose a loved one each year as well as all people going through a tough time (including Thais)and while I don;t think any poster has been insulting to the family, this is a forum to comment on news stories. Any one who may have known the deceased are welcome to set up a memorial page on the net for him or even a reward fund if they believe he was murdered and am guessing ThaiVisa would allow those links to be shared here.

Beyond the obvious loss of life, the other tragedy here is that this became a news story rather than handled more privately with the family and authorities. Sadly people enjoy these kinds of stories in large part because they get to speculate and disregard what is being reported to come up with their own scenario of the events to match what they want to believe. These are the kinds of stories that usually also provide little details in the news because they are often personal and serve no real benefit to the public to know.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How do u know he was "helped" ? if u have evidence then we are dealing with a murder which is the work of satan so either get the FBI on the case or get out the holy water

I know, as do many other people with links in that area. Whether you choose to believe me or not is not my concern. I responded on this thread because some posters asked if anyone did know what happened.

Of course his death is regrettable, but then so is blind faith in someone who did do something, not was rumoured to have done something, in an unsavoury part of Bangkok that attracted retribution.

You're not getting - how do you know that he 'did something that attracted retribution'? There may have been a misunderstanding. People may have tried to drug and rob him etc etc. Any number of possibilities might come to mind. So why indulge in rumour mongering and idle speculation that impugn the reputation of the victim and cause hurt to his friends and family. Most have us have learned that its inappropriate to blame female victims of violence but we seem to have no such qualms about male victims ... a number of the comments here get awfully close to 'blaming the victim'.

"There may have been a misunderstanding."

There was an initial misunderstanding that escalated, he misunderstood that he could not go to a bar, order drinks then attempt to get away without paying for them

"Any number of possibilities might come to mind."

Of course they might, but I'm not talking about possibilities.

If what you say, "People may have tried to drug and rob him etc etc", is not "rumour-mongering and idle speculation" then what is?

I'm not apportioning blame to anyone, I'm simply saying what I, and others, know happened, without speculating.

"he misunderstood that he could not go to a bar, order drinks then attempt to get away without paying for them"

Where is your evidence for such statements?? Please remember that hearsay does not constitute evidence. One person here said they heard a rumour to this effect, and suddenly it has become a fact in your mind. Can't you see that?

• Like 1

This thread should serve as a reminder & a warning about the "red light district" in which this occurred, in particular at that time of the early morning (and after dark) when the deceased was out & about.

Readers & visitors to Bangkok should make themselves aware of various dangers in such areas, for example spiking drinks with mind altering potentially deadly drugs.

Or the abundance of ladyboys who are known to operate in groups & pickpocket foreigners, with those who are alone being in especial risk.

Being aware of Thai customs & careful to not offend the locals is essential knowledge to any first time visitors to Siam. Otherwise being beaten by a number of people is not out of the realm of possibilities, certainly not in that location at that time.

Unfortunately it appears the "victim" of the OP failed in at least one of the above implied safety measure recommendations.

Edited by oldthaihand99
  • Like 1

This thread should serve as a reminder & a warning about the "red light district" in which this occurred, in particular at that time of the early morning (and after dark) when the deceased was out & about.

Readers & visitors to Bangkok should make themselves aware of various dangers in such areas, for example spiking drinks with mind altering potentially deadly drugs.

Or the abundance of ladyboys who are known to operate in groups & pickpocket foreigners, with those who are alone being in especial risk.

Being aware of Thai customs & careful to not offend the locals is essential knowledge to any first time visitors to Siam. Otherwise being beaten by a number of people is not out of the realm of possibilities, certainly not in that location at that time.

Unfortunately it appears the "victim" of the OP failed in at least one of the above implied safety measure recommendations.

We don't know what he did or didn't do.

• Like 1

2 soi 4 bar managers I know have said the same thing, one of which should certainly know about what happened on Nana premises. It's alleged, but certainly not proven, that the BF is connected to Bar 4.

Apparently the guy fell from a fire escape, not a room balcony, so it is possible he just slipped and fell over the railing rather than be thrown over/jumped over.

We don't know what he did or didn't do.

We do know...he was in the RLD & walking/running/climbing there at an inadvisable time of day, went into the Nana hotel, etc, for whatever reason was apparently not in his/a "normal" state of mind...etc...according to the multiple news reports & multiple alleged accounts from TV members on the scene "reporting".

A very sad story. Hopefully this thread will serve to help uncover some of the truth for those connected to the man and educate others so they may be more safe & avoid problems.

• Like 1

Well.. he was out until 5.45am - maybe with the wrong lassie.

That does not necessarily explain how he fell from the 5th floor of the hotel, or even got up there. Throwing things at staff - sure he pissed off a few people - but no need to throw him out from a height!

He "just ran up and fell down" my ass. Maybe spiked drinks, maybe took a girl with a bf.... who knows....... but how he got to the 5th floor will ever remain a mystery.

You can wait till the cows come home till they catch who pushed him over the edge.

All the corridors of the Nana Hotel are CC TV'd The whole incident will have been recorded on CC TV. I know because I have been staying there for years. It's an institution free of NGOs, backpackers, feminists, loud aggressive drunks, and prurient judgemental Daily Mail types. It is not a 'Short time Hotel' and passports are required to check in, unlike with real short time hotels. It's bar, The Golden Bar, is or was one of the best places for 'people watching.' The fearsome old Dragon Ladies who run it establish a calm polite and professional demeanour albeit a tad acerbic. It's a quiet calm base used by older single men and sometimes couples. Yes there are lot's of girls around and it is in a designated 'entertainment zone.' So what?

Edited by The manic
  • Like 1