Any simple advice would be much appreciated

I was given a small ziplock bag with what I was told was plum tomato seeds.

Not having a clue what to do with them. I bought some plastic 10 cm diameter pots and some bags of compost type stuff.

I planted 4 seeds to a pot spaced well apart, obviously I did not expect anything to happen. It did, they grew, much to my amazement.

They are now between 1 - 1.5 inches tall.

As someone who really is totally clueless, any tips or advice on what to do now ?

Many thanks

Hi Jock,

If you will do a search on this sub-forum and the main forum, you will find some very thorough threads on tomatoes. Just to get you started I would thin your plants down or transplant to other pots.

Thanks for the reply. Should I transplant now or wait until they get a bit bigger ?

I will have a hunt for the other threads, to be honest I wasnt expecting anything to grow.

Just type in Tomatoes in the search place in the upper right hand corner. I got this http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=7ba608ae72e917c0abea0ee8ab3c5e2d&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=tomatoes I don't know if you can just go to this link. I trans plant when they are around 15 cm. Also, there are a ton of vids on u-tube.

I would separate them soon. As soon as they have the first real leaves (not the seed leaves that first appear when they push up through the soil). don't handle the seedling, but pick up the clump of soil around the roots gently. They are very delicate and you can kill them easily. Put them one to a pot in the pots you bought and bury them up to the leaves. Keep watered and away from snails.And I wouldn't put them into direct sun yet.

I would separate them soon. As soon as they have the first real leaves (not the seed leaves that first appear when they push up through the soil). don't handle the seedling, but pick up the clump of soil around the roots gently. They are very delicate and you can kill them easily. Put them one to a pot in the pots you bought and bury them up to the leaves. Keep watered and away from snails.And I wouldn't put them into direct sun yet.

tw25

Thanks for that. They are still on their birth leaves with no additions yet. Next question. A couple of them have sprouted 2 or more plants from what I thought was a single seed. What do I do with them ?

tw25

Thanks for that. They are still on their birth leaves with no additions yet. Next question. A couple of them have sprouted 2 or more plants from what I thought was a single seed. What do I do with them ?

You could try and separate them before their roots get too tangled.. I have found the roots regrow well.

I have been growing them in the UK this year. I have a couple of cherry tomato plants growing from seeds I had dropped that seem to be growing directly from rotting timber. One now has flowers. I didn't think there was anything under the wood they could grow in either, but I can't move it until the plants die in winter.

tw25

You could try and separate them before their roots get too tangled.. I have found the roots regrow well.

I have been growing them in the UK this year. I have a couple of cherry tomato plants growing from seeds I had dropped that seem to be growing directly from rotting timber. One now has flowers. I didn't think there was anything under the wood they could grow in either, but I can't move it until the plants die in winter.

I will have a go at that. Although I probably have the gardening equivalent of the Black Death in my fingers.

smile.pngsmile.png

Cheers

Do separate them ASAP, moisten the soil before digging them out,

Pry them gently apart; try not to sever too many roots.

Plant them back individually but set them as deep as possible without covering the leaves.

Tomato plants set roots from the trunk.

Keep moist and out of the sun for a few days; they will recover nicely.

Good luck

Edited by soidog2

Thanks SoiDog.

With the deftness of a micro surgeon, I carried out some transplants today. It appears they have all survived so far. Not yet finished with transplanting.

The ones that I have transplanted are now in 8in deep pots, which are half full with potting stuff, the plan is to top up the soil as they grow.

Is this correct ?

Or how should I proceed ?

Many thanks.

If you don't have a garden to plant them in; it is acceptable.

Keep them in pots; after a few sets of leaves they will need good light and sparse fertilizing every month or so.

Thanks soidog.

None appear to have died so I will carry on what I am doing. I have read about fertilizer, too much conflicting info. What do you recommend ?

Thanks again

I just grow mine in ordinary shop bought compost. Tried a tomato the other day and it was amazing.

I'm a bit lucky in that my garden is largely overgrown with comfrey, which is much prized by organic gardeners, so will harvest a load of that to boost my compost for next year.

Thanks SoiDog.

With the deftness of a micro surgeon, I carried out some transplants today. It appears they have all survived so far. Not yet finished with transplanting.

The ones that I have transplanted are now in 8in deep pots, which are half full with potting stuff, the plan is to top up the soil as they grow.

Is this correct ?

Or how should I proceed ?

Many thanks.

Your 'potting stuff' is probably spent mushroom 'stuff' not containing adequate nourishment so start thinking about liquid fertilisers or cow manure or whatever. Otherwise they will stagnate in their pots and eventually die. I think...

I wouldn't top up too much at the beginning although tomatoes are pretty hardy as far as that is concerned.

Use manure. Tomatoes can grow in pure manure. They love it. Chemical fertilizers work also but if you put too much the plants will die. When the plants are about 4" tall, sprinkle a top layer of manure on your pots. Make sure that they get plenty of sun but as stated before you don't really want them to be in full sun all day. My cherry tomatoes get direct sun for about 3-4 hours a day and partial sun the rest and they do just fine. You will eventually want to put them in either raised beds or large 1 gallon pots.

Tomatoes are great beginner crop to raise. As long as they get average amounts of sun, water and manure they do well.

If you are a city dweller manure will be hard to come by.

Plan B would be to find some low NPK numbers fertizer and dissolve minute quantities in your watering can.. Go slow, try it, make sure the plants like it.

See my seedlings waiting for the cooler weather the smaller ones were all bunched in two or three per.

I separated them just like you.

post-14625-0-18483200-1410824919_thumb.j

Edited by soidog2

Most of the garden shops around here have compost made from either chicken litter (manure and rice hulls) or pig manure and coconut husks. Sometimes it is old corn cobs. Either of the first 2 sound really good, but I find I need to fertilize anyway. I go to a seed store and ask for "Pwee Keow". It is a greenish color granulated water soluble fertilizer. Just dissolve some and water. I just got a 1kg bag for 35 baht.

Thanks for the info guys. Everyday is a school day.

When you talk about manure, are we talking about fresh cow dung ? If so, there is a guy not far from me who has cows, I'm sure he would donate a bucket load for a small fee !!

Soidog, thanks for the pic, how long have they been growing ? Much bigger than mine.

I stopped by a shop yesterday. The very nice lady tried to sell me 3 - 30 - 30, " very good for tomato " Any thoughts guys ?

Thanks all

Thanks for the info guys. Everyday is a school day.

When you talk about manure, are we talking about fresh cow dung ? If so, there is a guy not far from me who has cows, I'm sure he would donate a bucket load for a small fee !!

Soidog, thanks for the pic, how long have they been growing ? Much bigger than mine.

I stopped by a shop yesterday. The very nice lady tried to sell me 3 - 30 - 30, " very good for tomato " Any thoughts guys ?

Thanks all

I use dried cow manure, completely different in texture and dangerous stuff, lots of nitrogen in there.

3.30.30 is good for tomatoes that are near to flowering but at the beginning they need N to get them moving. (NPK... 3 30 30).

Planted about a month ago.

Be careful with high chemical nitrogen, over-apply and your plants are toast.

Better go see the cow man, ask for some old composted (opposite of fresh) manure. At this stage you need very little, should cost nothing or next to nothing.

I buy hundreds of 50KG (volume) sacks at 25 baht a piece.

If you do get it, just crumble it to dust and sprinkle some around your seedlings before you water them, again moderation is the key, repeat every week for a while.

Edited by soidog2

They won't like being swamped for an extended period, but they can handle rain. The heavy drops might do some damage though. They're a tropical plant that will grow wild, if you let them, in any reasonably fertile soil you are likely to find in a garden and like a fair bit of water as long as it can drain. They do need some shade while they are small or the leaves turn white and shrivel.

When I was last in Thailand, I took some seeds from various tomato and chilli varieties, but was too lazy to plant them and left them with the gf. She has put a few out and will take some to her village, so hopefully, I will have some 'children' when I go back. Included was a sachet of Galapagos Island tomato seeds that I had sent from the US to the UK. Am looking forward to trying them. The are also some super hot chillis that even the gf will struggle with.

Way too young to fertilize. When you transplant into the toms permanent home, plant 80% of the tom undrground. Deep planting means good root system. Also, wash your hands thoroughly before handling planta, especiially if you smoke. And only water the roots, not the leaves, Check out the tomatoville website

• Like 1

Way too young to fertilize. When you transplant into the toms permanent home, plant 80% of the tom undrground. Deep planting means good root system. Also, wash your hands thoroughly before handling planta, especiially if you smoke. And only water the roots, not the leaves, Check out the tomatoville website

Thanks for the link. When I went onto the website, my anti-virus tarted going mental. Not sure what the issue is/was, so never accessed the site, better safe than sorry.

Things seem to be progressing well and I will post a couple of pics on the 01st Oct.

However, I have 1 more immediate question.

I put the plants out in the early morning sun, around 7.30. By 9.00 I have to take them back in out of the sun as the leaves start to curl up. Is this normal ? Do I have tomato plants that are allergic to the sun ?

Thanks guys.