Translator For Marriage Registration

Guest Froggy

Guest Froggy

Hi!

Is there someone who can suggest me a translator for the Marriage registration at the Amphur?

How much can cost this kind of services?

Thanks!

Froggy

Guest Froggy

Thanks huski!

You know, my girlfriend call last week in an Amphur and they mentioned that she can't be the translator!

Do you think that it can depend on wich Amphur we're going?

Froggy

The translator requirement is up to the amphur and it should NOT be your wife to be. You are signing legal documents with terms of marriage. The translator is to make sure you know what you are signing. If you are comfortable that wife is not going to put any 'special' items in you can probably find someone in the amphur office to do for a couple hundred baht. But probably be better to bring someone from hotel/translation service or even law firm. As I have said previously believe Bang Rak District here in Bangkok will do translation themselves as they handle a great many marriages, both Thai and foreign. It is also good luck to be married in the district of love. :o

maybe it depends on the amphur, when i was married in bangkok it was only my fiance and myself that went

my fiance was the "translator", for us signing the actual thai documents...but everything was already translated to english for farangs to read beforehand at the office...this was at the ratchathewi district

<total of 30 minutes and 10mg valium>
Usually the valium comes after. :o

Believe, just as with a divorce, they can add prenep agreement type data to your "marriage contract" and they don't want a conflict of interest or for you to say later that you did not understand.

Froggy, I think that two diffent things are being discussed here. One is translating your official document, your "single certificate" into Thai. This translation must be done by a certified translator who will put his or her stamp on the copy. When you get this document from your embassy they will probably give you a list of nearby translators, if they don't, you can probably ask them for a recommendation.

Once you have your documents together, you will visit the Amphur. The official there will ask you some questions, probably in English. My wife acted as our translator when the officials English or my Thai was inadequate. When the Amphur told your fiancee that she coundn't be the translator, were they talking about the documents or the interview?

Good Luck!