PHUKET: Man dies after climbing coconut tree

Lite Beer

PHUKET: Man dies after climbing coconut tree
Eakkapop Thongtub

1410520747_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: A man was killed after falling off a coconut tree today (September 12) in Baan Leang coconut grove on Thepkasattri Rd.

At 9.25am, rescuers from Vachira Hsopital were called to the scene and found the victim, Thammanoon Prateep, 34, lying under the tree and appeared to be unconscious.

After performing CPR on him, rescuers rushed him off to Vachira Hospital but he later died of severe lung injuries.

Officials say Mr Thammanoon climbed 10 metres high to reach for a coconut, but he slipped and fell to the ground.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/man-dies-after-climbing-coconut-tree-48706.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-12

Common practice in Thailand.

I'm amazed that not many people fall after climbing on the coconut trees.

Another thing, I'm watching them cutting the coconuts with a long stick and a sharp object on top of it.

But they do it by standing exactly under the coconuts.

Now the coconuts fall to any other direction except their heads.

But one day..........it will happen.

Another thing, I'm watching them cutting the coconuts with a long stick and a sharp object on top of it.

There's no reason that more people should fall. Climbing up and down a tree is pretty safe. As fr cutting the coconuts, they know which way they will fall. So need to land on anyone's head when cutting them Maybe you should go take a look and chat with some of them.

Chronologically the headline is correct. Technically, the climb wasn't too relevant. It might read better if they said he died from the fall.

Stupid headline, tragic story for him and his family.

Help.... The Teh grammar police haev invadd our forem'ss ...........................wub.png

Edited by oxo1947

Chronologically the headline is correct. Technically, the climb wasn't too relevant. It might read better if they said he died from the fall.

Help.... The Teh grammar police haev invadd our forem'ss ...........................wub.png

The grammar is fine. He's from the Comprehension Police.

When I first read the headline I thought someone had had a heart attack after climbing the tree.

Still have 2 coconut trees on my land, used to be 6. They die when they are on an average about 9 meters tall. So once or twice a year I charter people to cut off the coconuts and most of the leaves. Because it is a risky job, it is well paid. It cannot be done when it has been raining recently, trunk still being moist and slippery.

I reckon in coconut tree blessed western countries like the US, it is prohibited to climb up a coconut tree to do the pruning.

How do you do it in Hawaii or southern Cal? Northern Australia?

Once I heard it is possible to inject the tree with a fluid which makes it stop producing coconuts, but never got that confirmed, once inquired about it in the agriculture forum.

There's no reason that more people should fall. Climbing up and down a tree is pretty safe. As fr cutting the coconuts, they know which way they will fall. So need to land on anyone's head when cutting them Maybe you should go take a look and chat with some of them.

It can happen , local friend in his sixties worked all his life in the coconutbiz , had one fall on his face .

17 stitches and missing a couple teeth .

Even the most experienced can have an accident .

Btw climbing up coconut trees is not the normal way to get the coconuts .

• Like 1

How many coconuts have you harvested as opposed to the people with the sticks?

After falling 10 meters, there are lots of things you can die from besides lung injuries.

Like poorly performed CPR which causes lung injuries.
I wasn't there and didn't attend the poor man. Perhaps someone that was, or attended him, would know more.

"Properly" executed CPR can fracture ribs, which in turn can lacerate various internal organs. Fractured ribs, can also do the same to the organs during the mechanism of injury.

Landing on a coconut can fracture ribs, as can landing on a rock. Landing on ones inwardly-placed arm can fracture ribs. Landing on flat ground can fracture ribs.

All is speculation since I wasn't there.

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

After falling 10 meters, there are lots of things you can die from besides lung injuries.

Like poorly performed CPR which causes lung injuries.

Maybe, who knows. But if CPR is needed he is dead already (after all his heart is not beating), so better try it, even if you don't know what you're doing, than leave him for dead.

I harvest coconuts myself with stick and can say besides you mostly can choose the direction where will fall down, do you have time enough to avoid it the times gets unpredicted trajectories.

About climbing I saw burmese guys very handy at it they tie feets together it looks pretty safe or at least that they knows what them doing

Still have 2 coconut trees on my land, used to be 6. They die when they are on an average about 9 meters tall. So once or twice a year I charter people to cut off the coconuts and most of the leaves. Because it is a risky job, it is well paid. It cannot be done when it has been raining recently, trunk still being moist and slippery.

I reckon in coconut tree blessed western countries like the US, it is prohibited to climb up a coconut tree to do the pruning.

How do you do it in Hawaii or southern Cal? Northern Australia?

Workers also die in the US when trimming palm trees. It's mostly Latino males in the business.