No taxi fare rise now, says ACM Prajin

Lite Beer

No taxi fare rise now, says ACM Prajin

9-13-2014-10-10-07-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The minister of Transport has made it clear Friday that his ministry has no plan to approve new fare structures after a Thai taxi network demanded fare rise with reason that there had been no adjustment in the past ten years.

Transport Minister ACM Prajin Juntong said Friday that his ministry will not review the new taxi fare structure proposed by the Thai Taxi Network, representing 80,000 taxis in greater Bangkok.

Based on the new fare formula, the taxi network asked that the flag fall rate will be kept unchanged at 35 baht but the distance fare will rise up to 25 percent.

However ACM Prajin said there is no need to increase taxi fares as yet because it looks like the gas price would not go much higher this year.

Taxi fares will remain unchanged until Transport Ministry study whether the country is ready for fare increase.

The study will consider new fares and fuel price and the result should come out within the first week of October, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/taxi-fare-rise-now-says-acm-prajin/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-13

In relativity (as somebody famous once said), sometimes I do pity taxi-drivers, even though a small few can be <deleted>.

No flag-fall rise in 10 years, yet only last year the minimum wage was rasied to 300B for all. It's no wonder some try to dupe farang, and even Thais, to make a decent living, compared to salaried workers. Taxis are cheap, there's no doubt about it - one can get across the capital city for 200B. Try that in London or NY, and you'd have an empty wallet (although, I did say it's relative - certainly to related salaries). However, the latter is not the point. Fuel prices rose dramatically a few years back. I recall when 95 was 23 baht a litre, and this is less than 7 years ago. Now it's at 40 - but no flag-fall rise for taxi drivers?? That's not relative in anyway.

his ministry will not review the new taxi fare structure proposed by the Thai Taxi Network, representing 80,000 taxis in greater Bangkok.

The study will consider new fares and fuel price and the result should come out within the first week of October, he said.

so they won't review changes but will do a study to review changes? That's clear as mud.

Edited by pomchop

Maybe the fuel prices have decreased slightly recently or remained static. But what about spare parts, tyres etc. Time for a rise I think. Was in BKK recently and not one cab driver wanted to use the meter. Can't say as I blame them.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 2.5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I only use taxis that use their meters, however I will tip them about 20 baht.

In deed, tipping is a way to go albeit very few of the drivers trying to earn it, and when you do

tip them, rarely you get a thank you.... like it's a matter of course that you ought to tip them....

I usually give them around 15% on top of the fare to cover part of the inflation for the last 8+ years where it has not been adjusted..... They should adjust the meters and put in an automatic adjustment every 2 - 3 years based on the inflation. It should be made part of a crackdown on not using meters at the same time. You cannot attack corruption if you are not willing to foot the bill - especially the police salaries which are lower than they should be but the government expects it to be made up through other "fees". If you are found guilty of corruption - you should lose all benefits (pension) and be subject to asset confiscation.

will encourage them to not use the meter

food prices have risen

no....the bad one will not want to use the meter the same.

The good will use the meter the same.

But there are far too many taxis who all only want to pick the biggest profit.

One ranting that will all his costs, he can only make 1000-1500 Baht profit per day.....the minimum wage is 300 Baht.

I have been taking the very same metered trip to work every day for the past five years. It's only a short distance. But when I started, almost every taxi would get me there for 51-53 baht. Nowadays, the charge is 59 occassionally but more often 61. Taxi drivers are getting their fee increases, one way or another. by tinkering with the meter, I suspect.

They must be ever so grateful. They probably rush home to show the wife and kiddies.

In deed, tipping is a way to go albeit very few of the drivers trying to earn it, and when you do

tip them, rarely you get a thank you.... like it's a matter of course that you ought to tip them....

Exactly what are they supposed to do to earn it, blow kisses in your direction whenever they come to a stop at a red light?

I find taxi drivers to be more friendly in Bangkok than in most big cities outside Thailand, but I don't hire them or tip them in the hopes they'll gush & fawn. If I want to get from A to B and we do in fact arrive at B without mishap or misadventure, the driver seems to have fulfilled his side of the bargain. I don't require grovelling to cap it off.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Guys - I understand everyone looks at rises for the last 10 years and says "Why not?"

The truth is that the transport ministry has a target of roughly 80,000 taxis for BKK - in reality over 150,000 are registered.

If 150,000 car make money, and the target is 80,000 - then fares do not need to rise - when there is only 75,000 active taxis - then the ministry will raise prices.

They are looking after you as the consumer - supply vs demand.

Incredible that there have been no rises in 10 years for Taxi's

No wonder they are resorting to trickery!

And just by the way even though the basic wage went up to 300 baht per day, finding someone to work at that rate is pretty difficult.

Regards

Incredible that there have been no rises in 10 years for Taxi's

No wonder they are resorting to trickery!

And just by the way even though the basic wage went up to 300 baht per day, finding someone to work at that rate is pretty difficult.

Regards

I recall that the rates were in fact revised in 2008. It used to be first two kilometers for 35 baht and was changed to first one kilometer. Similarly, the rates per km also went up.

In my experience the drivers are usually quite happy with the rate per distance, as long as there is no traffic. I think that they would just need to increase the fare per minute while standing in traffic. This would also make it easier to get a taxi during traffic hours.

In relativity (as somebody famous once said), sometimes I do pity taxi-drivers, even though a small few can be <deleted>.

No flag-fall rise in 10 years, yet only last year the minimum wage was rasied to 300B for all. It's no wonder some try to dupe farang, and even Thais, to make a decent living, compared to salaried workers. Taxis are cheap, there's no doubt about it - one can get across the capital city for 200B. Try that in London or NY, and you'd have an empty wallet (although, I did say it's relative - certainly to related salaries). However, the latter is not the point. Fuel prices rose dramatically a few years back. I recall when 95 was 23 baht a litre, and this is less than 7 years ago. Now it's at 40 - but no flag-fall rise for taxi drivers?? That's not relative in anyway.

Taxis don't use "95', they use the much cheaper LPG.

What's the relevance of the minimum wage, taxi drivers are self-employed?

Maybe the fuel prices have decreased slightly recently or remained static. But what about spare parts, tyres etc. Time for a rise I think. Was in BKK recently and not one cab driver wanted to use the meter. Can't say as I blame them.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 2.5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Was in BKK recently and not one cab driver wanted to use the meter." Must have taken you a long time to check 80,000 taxis.

There is so much exaggeration about refusal to use meters, the reality is that the vast majority of drivers do use them and a few chancers try it on at certain times.

• Like 2

taix's use the lpg / ngv ... not 25 / 40 baht per liter !

let's not forget that !

why you think they can afford to drive around all day without passengers...

in western countries, you have to dial up one ... here , they are part of the traffic congestion where 1 in 3 cars sometimes is a taxi

I have lived off and on in Bangkok for 20 years. Have no problem with drivers using the meter. Only very late at night, after about 11pm, do I find drivers not wanting to use the meter and even then can negotiate a price which is fair. The areas like Nana, Patpong, soi cowboy and the likes which have more tourists than locals are generally the areas where drivers don't want to use the meter. As for fares, I don't know how they can exist on the ridiculously low fares that are charged. I'm sure ACM Prajin has had pay rises in the last 10 years with the cost of living rising approx. 50% in that period. Thailand is no longer the cheap, cheap country of smiles for those that live a normal lawful life here.

I have lived off and on in Bangkok for 20 years. Have no problem with drivers using the meter. Only very late at night, after about 11pm, do I find drivers not wanting to use the meter and even then can negotiate a price which is fair. The areas like Nana, Patpong, soi cowboy and the likes which have more tourists than locals are generally the areas where drivers don't want to use the meter. As for fares, I don't know how they can exist on the ridiculously low fares that are charged. I'm sure ACM Prajin has had pay rises in the last 10 years with the cost of living rising approx. 50% in that period. Thailand is no longer the cheap, cheap country of smiles for those that live a normal lawful life here.

If it was a bad job there would not be so many taxi's. Also the refusal of fares shows they don't need the money or are lazy to work.

The taxi drivers i know around here make enough to live more as people in 711 so what is the problem.

I have been using Bangkok taxis for the past 10 years, I did notice and increase of refusal to pick up and in my opinion this is due to the very low flat fare and overall trip fare, the lowest in Asia (my wife is Indonesian, I ofter work in Manila and there is no comparison). Such fare sometimes makes Taxi even very much competitive vs BTS, if 2 or more people are on the move, traffic jam allowing. Depending on the driver I am usually tipping 15 to 50 THB depending on the distance and overall fare and mostly of them are genuinely thanking me. I think tariff should probably be brought to 40 flat and at least 15 to 25% higher on the meter run