Bringing booze inside your checked in bag

gavin310

I'm flying to America and I'd like to buy two bottles of booze and stuff them into my checked in bag. On the U.S. customs website is says up to 1 liter is allowed, but anything after 1 liter is subject to duties and taxes. Does anybody know how they decide what to charge you? Say for example I am bringing in two bottles of Absolut Vodka and they cost 800 baht each.

And another question, is it even cheaper to buy the alcohol in Thailand and bring it with you? I don't know what the cost of booze is in America these days.

EDIT: Ok, so I just found some information about the state I'm traveling to specifically (California)...

Travel by Steamship or Airplane
Adults traveling into California from a foreign country by steamship or airplane may bring with them a reasonable amount of alcoholic beverages for personal or household use. A reasonable amount is not more than 60 liters (approximately five cases). (ABC agreement with U.S. Customs)
Does this mean I can bring in as much as I want and it won't be subject to duty or tax if it's less than 60 liters? Why is the federal law 1 liter, but California's law is 60 liters?!
Edited by gavin310

You would pay at least 3 times more for Absolute here than you would pay in America. Travel light. This pertains also to ALL alcohol. In California, at most grocery stores, you can get generic vodka, very good quality, for $9.99 a 1.75 litre. That is 300 baht, for a 1.75 litre! Less if you buy 6 or more. Absolute will not be that price, but the same ratio. Have fun! Go to SaveMart, Raley's, or Safeway. Please do not tell them what we pay here....

Edited by stoli