Chinese and Thai cuisine specialties in CNX

ByblosYuNaiSoi

Hi,

After moving here recently after a year in Bangkok, there are a few things I'm missing and haven't been able to find them here in lovely Chiang Mai.

1. Chinese "eggplant french fries" (ma khreua tawt, or the like).Best thing ever - there are a couple of little places in the BKK Rama IV Sathorn area who have it.

2. Crispy deep-fried morning glory (pak bung tawt) with porky, sweet-sour sauce (best found at Yum and Tum Q House Lumphini).

3. Great, cheap Isaan street food (somtam, laab, soup, salt-crust grilled fish). Yeah, you may say it's everywhere, but so far, below expectations, and not really everywhere. The somtam in particular tends toward drier and generally less tasty than I found in BKK (last night my laab was reheated in the microwave! argh.)

Looking forward to suggestions and corrections!

I am curious about your experience with the Chinese eggplant french fries.

There is a place in Bangkok, Sun and Moon Restaurant, that does a fantastic version of that. It is somewhat spicy savory dish.

I found a place in Jomtien that does it and I assumed it was the same dish.

Instead what was presented was basically sweet CANDIED eggplant french fries.

Very delicious if you're looking to eat candy.

I assume you're talking about the savory version, correct?

http://bangkok-restaurant-reviews.blogspot.com/2011/05/sun-moon-restaurant.html

Edited by Jingthing

Dash teak house (between MM soi 1and 2) does a good version of deep fried crispy morning glory, If you can't find at least one somtam seller you like out of the approximatly 852 in the muang district it may br time to go east. ..... CM larb is different, salt crusted tubtim @ gad sompet is good.

Thanks to all - I'm on my way.

Daoyai, I found great somtam last night - delicious, but at the same place that microwaved my laab! wink.png

JIngthing: the ones I loved were a little bit salty/sweet and glazed, and very crispy. You might say candied. Ever seen it in Chiang Mai?

Yes you definitely want very crispy with fried eggplant. Thanks for the information that you have had it sweet and glazed before.

I'd be surprised if you find such a dish in Chiang Mai, sweet or not.

Here is my favorite version, a spicy and numbing Sechuan interpretation from a famous Chinese chef in the USA:

post-37101-0-31835300-1410707556_thumb.j

The picture above is actually rather similar to the Bangkok place I mentioned except no Sechuan peppers there.

Edited by Jingthing

No worries enjoy!

If you go to the place by Siam Electric, you might want to try the nam tok moo (grilled pork salad), tap wan (liver salad), soup nomai (bamboo shoot salad), sai yang (grilled intestines) and laab pla duk (fish laab) for some variety...all my Isaan friends that have had these dishes there like them as well as the standards som tum pu para and moo yang and tom sap and salt fish.

In the daytime, the Wichianburi chicken and som tum place near Chang Klang also has good soup nomai and tap wan, as well as good tum sua (som tum with kanom jeen noodles) and som tum with fresh uncooked crab.

BTW if you really want to go hardcore Isaan ... there's another shack restaurant down the street from Wichianburi chicken, just before the small bridge over the canal running by Kamphaengdin Road. This place as good laab dip---raw beef laab as well as som tum, etc. that many Isaan transplants like (as do I).

Edited by Bleacher Bum East