Thai govt warned of 'fishy' deals like microphones for the Cabinet

webfact

AUDIO CONTROVERSY
Govt warned of 'fishy' deals like microphones for the Cabinet

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- ALMOST HALF the local leaders from 600 communities surveyed by Master Poll wanted the government to cancel a plan to buy 89 high-tech microphones for the Cabinet room that cost about Bt100,000 each.

The poll conducted from September 11-13 released the results yesterday. It showed that 47.2 per cent wanted the project scrapped and 50.8 of respondents felt there was something fishy about the planned procurement of microphones costing Bt100,000.

However, 49.3 per cent of the public said they felt nothing was wrong with the purchase deal, 35.2 per cent supported it, 17.6 per cent said the plan should be cancelled and the official in charge of the project step down to take responsibility.

PM's Office Minister ML Panadda Diskul said he did not want to see conflict among state agencies over the plan to buy the high-cost microphones, saying the deal was being checked by the committee to monitor state spending.

"I do not want to see state agencies passing the blame to one another. I have been trying to iron out their differences to bring about peace and unity to the Government House,'' he said.

He said that the government's honeymoon period was over and it now had to rush to work.

Poll: public likes NCPO's style

The PM's Office has been assigned to arrange a meeting between the Cabinet and permanent secretaries from all ministries and provincial governors on Wednesday when the prime |minister would inform them of the government's policies.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva urged the government to ensure transparency in spending state funds for all projects. He said the public wanted transparency most in the use of "central funds" which the PM and the Cabinet had the power to approve.

He warned Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha that controversies like that of the pricey microphone could create repercussions for his administration. The PM had better ensure the committee he appointed to check the planned procurement of the microphones made the truth prevail. He said the PM must ensure that no more such controversies are repeated.

Master Poll also revealed that people wanted the government not to fall into bureaucratic traps with 27 per cent voicing such concern, 20 per cent warned the government against becoming intoxicated with power, money or women - together with flattering civil servants, capitalists and close aides.

About 17 per cent suggested the government start work immediately to tackle pressing issues - while 34 per cent said the government needed no suggestions as it had performed well.

Asked why the public had accepted the junta seizing power, 57 per cent said people wanted the junta to heal national division, 32 per cent said it was needed to fight corruption, 7.4 per cent said to help solve economic problems.

About 84 per cent preferred the working style of the NCPO because the junta seemed to be seriously address issues the country faces. The rest said they preferred the government's working style because its image was better than the junta's among the foreign community, 78 per cent said they were most satisfied with the junta's crackdown on hawkers on the beach.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Govt-warned-of-fishy-deals-like-microphones-for-th-30243283.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-15

so far they just seem to want to talk about the Mic's and their cost at 100,000, but the media screens are a separate item and cost yeah? at aprox 500,000 plus, and the (possible) suspect deals,

LOOKS LIKE A DUCK, WALKS LIKE DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Maestro
Removed unintelligible part of the post.

He warned Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha that controversies like that of the pricey microphone could create repercussions for his administration. The PM had better ensure the committee he appointed to check the planned procurement of the microphones made the truth prevail. He said the PM must ensure that no more such controversies are repeated.

What's that old saying? "it must not just be fair, it must be seen to be fair". Long after the facts of the incident are forgotten the perception will remain.

• Like 2

But, but, they they are really really good microphones!

I support this statement.

Thai government needs really good microphones, so that anti-corruption policies can be conveyed loud and clear to the would be corrupted.

145K is cheap in a country of almost 7 millions.

It only cost the Thais an average of 0.00006 USD/head for 1 microphones. Ultra cheap.

Or 1 Baht/head for the whole project (about 68 million baht for the conference system upgrade, the old ones cannot be used already).

Edited by chotthee

. . . warned the government against becoming intoxicated with power, money or women - together with flattering civil servants, capitalists and close aides . . .

How naive . . . wake up for <deleted> sake, that's WHY they became Politicians/Government Officials in the first place . . . not for the "good" of the country or its people.

Not to mention the acquisition of 28 "state of the art" whistling.gifPlasma TV/displays at 500,000 baht each ( as reported in the other paper Sunday edition ) which is in danger of being forgotten about.

Please devour the #3 post, no need to go over old government problems, all the old school has gone, this is a clean up and there are always dregs to clear long after a diabolical past none governing regime. Sorry F4...... time is needed whoever is taking over corrupt dead wood. forget the propaganda.

• Like 1

Not to mention the acquisition of 28 "state of the art" whistling.gifPlasma TV/displays at 500,000 baht each ( as reported in the other paper Sunday edition ) which is in danger of being forgotten about.

Why would it be forgotten with guys like you whose only job here is to discredited everything that is not related to Thaksin.

I don't see you in threads concerning PT corruption. Why not? That's acceptable to you or what?

• Like 1

The clarifying of the microphone matter and indeed the Government house refurbishment is indeed the first hurdle this current administration have to cllear amnd they must be seen to clear this first hurdle with an effective clean open action.

Gsxrnz post # 2.

So they're going from everything being uber dodgy to everything being squeaky clean in 0.2 seconds.

Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Gsxrnz brings up a valid point concerning an instant transformation from a murky cloudy procurement system to a crystal clear system, it cannot be done overnight.

Those people involved in the procurement system have been in position for a long time thus the roots of unethical practices (corruption) are indeed a complex root system.

The gardener can clear the weeds but until the roots are exterminated removed whatever there will always be new growth in different places. An effective pesticide corruption killer solution is needed and must be applied and in the due course of time corruption will be curtailed , however total eradication of the weed of corrupt practices is impossible as the seeds are in the human being make up and known as greed.

Effective treatment takes time, let us hope the the gardener and the prescription he has written and that the dosage taken on a regular basis will take affect soon and produce an appreciable improvement in the patients health in both containing and curing the cancer of corruption that infests the body of Thailand and its peoples.,

For those without a flowery language translator application, what Siampolee was trying to say was this:

Civil Servants who buy stuff for governments have been around a long time and they know how to screw the system. You can get rid of them but somebody else will take their place as people are greedy.

To get rid of corruption takes time but Siampolee hopes that Prayuth knows what he's doing and that everything will be all fine and dandy in the end.

fab4 post # 14

Not to mention the acquisition of 28 "state of the art" whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn Plasma TV/displays at 500,000 baht each ( as reported in the other paper Sunday edition ) which is in danger of being forgotten about.

This also needs to investigated to see who actually gave the nod for these purchases .

Was it the current crop of politicians or was it the Civil Service sector?

No matter if these dubious purchases were authorized by the Civil Service or the politicians it doesn't matter, those who are involved in the decisions making process must be exposed for what they are.

To be fair we perhaps need to remember where the power may be regarding these purchases,however as much as I disagree with fab4 on many points these dubious purchase process fab4 has highlighted have to be brought out into the open to destroy any corrupt practices.

Start with a clean house and it should be easy to maintain a clean house.

Why would it be forgotten with guys like you whose only job here is to discredited everything that is not related to Thaksin.

I don't see you in threads concerning PT corruption. Why not? That's acceptable to you or what?

Because the PTP are gone, and an appointed Government is in it's place more or less starting out the same way the PTP ended... corrupt!!

So they're going from everything being uber dodgy to everything being squeaky clean in 0.2 seconds.

Sounds more like the current government coming in from the blue green is expected to be 100% squeaky clean as the Thai population is both used to 'clean' governments and expects the military to even outperform civilians and politicians in this.

It's already been forgotten - see any mention of it in this thread or any others about the makeover of Government House?

I do hope you're not accusing me of having a job, i.e being paid to post, are you?

What I can't quite get my head around is that when somebody criticises Thaksin, or Yingluck or PTP or UDD that's perfectly OK but when anybody should dare to make comments the "other way", one gets accused of having an agenda, being paid to post, being a propagandist etc. And if you don't comment on something for one reason or another, by default you're regarded as being in support, or not, of that something, depending on which viewpoint is deemed the most heinous.

You can't have been looking too hard.

"Think first before posting" is a good maxim.

Because the PTP are gone, and an appointed Government is in it's place more or less starting out the same way the PTP ended... corrupt!!

Up to you if you want to believe #3 is best to read, as I posted to F4. read it. having to clear a 3 year or more backlog of dung is never a quick and easy matter.

• Like 1

I like the bit about not becoming intoxicated with power, money, women and cronyism ! Spoil sports !

Some might say at least Chalerm was only ever intoxicated.

Didn't he always have very nice expensive lunches, brought in by 5 star catering, fine wines and whiskies, all served by a team of "pretties"?

Not sure he was just a boozer.

• Like 2

A new broom sweeps clean, what was it the Good General stated.. transparency?

You need to start reading a bit more outwith TVF mate, there's quite a few things the General stated that's gone back to the old ways or are you a selective memory/reading sort of chap?

Taxi drivers on meters.. lasted about a month, they're back ripping off tourists and Thai's alike

Lottery tickets to be sold at 80-90 baht, still being sold at the old price, in some areas higher

Jet ski scammers still scamming away in the areas of the original clampdowns

These were all high on the Generals list of quick actions, but the actions have just reverted back to the old ways.... Thailand same same but different.

Might it be that with this terribly oppressive junta things are still a bit more transparent than with previous governments?

Mind you, the few details available suggest a case of government bureaucracy at work, those guys who are there to run the country for the elected/appointed government.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

I like the bit about not becoming intoxicated with power, money, women and cronyism ! Spoil sports !

Didn't he always have very nice expensive lunches, brought in by 5 star catering, fine wines and whiskies, all served by a team of "pretties"?

When he and Tarit were in ' Der Bunker ' dealing with the protests there were stories of some very expensive ' refreshments ' being delivered.

• Like 1

It's already been forgotten - see any mention of it in this thread or any others about the makeover of Government House?

I do hope you're not accusing me of having a job, i.e being paid to post, are you?

What I can't quite get my head around is that when somebody criticises Thaksin, or Yingluck or PTP or UDD that's perfectly OK but when anybody should dare to make comments the "other way", one gets accused of having an agenda, being paid to post, being a propagandist etc. And if you don't comment on something for one reason or another, by default you're regarded as being in support, or not, of that something, depending on which viewpoint is deemed the most heinous.

Fair play, you (Fab4) usually comment on threads of the many instances of PTP corruption. Most often denying it, saying it's false propaganda, etc.

I also agree, acts of corruption should be exposed, whichever side, whoever is doing it, no matter which family or gang they belong to.

PTP are gone, for now, and they can't being robbing at the moment. Their 3 years does require careful investigation and actions where necessary. Checks and balances should be enforced on the new regimes to prevent a repetition.

But, alas TIT and it doesn't seem likely either will happen.

• Like 2

Sounds more like the current government coming in from the blue green is expected to be 100% squeaky clean as the Thai population is both used to 'clean' governments and expects the military to even outperform civilians and politicians in this.

Stop making excuses for them. If you talk the talk you have to be prepared to walk the walk and that includes taking responsibility for allegedly corrupt practises under their watch. That does not mean having the Advisor to the PM having a "nothing to see here" episode and then backtracking having been called on it.

• Like 1

When he and Tarit were in ' Der Bunker ' dealing with the protests there were stories of some very expensive ' refreshments ' being delivered.

I assume after k. Chalerms finishes his 'mission accomplished' report on the Phuket Mafia he'll start on the CAPO account details of a few billion Baht spent ?

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

I looked again and I don't see you in threads concerning PT corruption.

• Like 2