What not to say in Thai - a Japanese textbook offends

webfact

Another little note (sorry, I'm just a languagephile)

Thais sometimes ask with real concern if I'm offended at being called "farang", I ask "what else would you call me?" There isn't another word! But I prefer to be called by name, and they do so, once they know it.

I get much more upset being called "peter the english teacher", even by people who I know well and who know my name (not peter) and that I've never taught english (well, by one person, and it's been years).

Khun/kon farang would be more polite, calling you farang implies you are on the same level as an animal.

They could call you kon dtaang Chaat, kon dtaang Daaw, kon dtaang pratet or Nak tong teeow rather than refer to you by your skin colour.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might not get 'your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries', you could try 'your mother is a buffalo and your father smells of sang som' Always remember Thais don't do 'one on one', so don't insult anyone unless you are 'packing' , in which case you could say 'do ya feel lucky?...............well do ya, punk?'

Actually there has been a small book on sale in Asia Books for years, called Thai slang and idioms, it has several pages of the very worst Thai insults and expressions, including such gems as 'pee sua samut': fat ugly woman, and 'smashing black bean' : anal sex.

But it's ok to call us falang.

how is that offensive?

it's just a generic word for a foreigner

the first white people seen in Thailand were the French **** Thai language edited out **** (Farang Saet)

hence the word used to describe foreigners stuck

Well, the US had a word for Africans, Chinese, Vietnamese, Germans, Latinos and so on…

But they didn’t stick too long among civilized people.

It’s divisive, ignorant and at best, archaic.

It’s an issue that is not even recognized, let alone addressed here.

We are one people.

Inhabiting one planet.

One very tiny planet. I despise the word. A racial slur that would not be tolerated in a civilized society.

• Like 1

Another little note (sorry, I'm just a languagephile)

Thais sometimes ask with real concern if I'm offended at being called "farang", I ask "what else would you call me?" There isn't another word! But I prefer to be called by name, and they do so, once they know it.

I get much more upset being called "peter the english teacher", even by people who I know well and who know my name (not peter) and that I've never taught english (well, by one person, and it's been years).

Khun/kon farang would be more polite, calling you farang implies you are on the same level as an animal.

They could call you kon dtaang Chaat, kon dtaang Daaw, kon dtaang pratet or Nak tong teeow rather than refer to you by your skin colour.

Right. And sometimes, often, they do say "Khun Farang" when addressing someone directly, but more likely a kinship term like Phi, (khun) Pho, (Khun)Ta; don't think I've ever been called "farang" in direct address. "Khun khon daang Chaat" is a bit much, I think, but these phrases are indeed used when speaking of non-Thai nationals in general.

BTW, Black Americans are often called "farang dam"--i.e. black farang.

Anyway, there is some concern that westies might be offended by the term. Why not think up a prefered term and suggest that people use it?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not quite sure how you would translate "douchebag" or "you ahole " into Japanese, neither words exist as an insult..... You of course could literally translate ahole Or Ketsu no anna or kommon as it would be, but it would not really be an insult. Would be interested in seeing the translations.

You spent 10 year in Hiroshima and were never called an AHO!

Oz

I normally get 'hey you'

they must be the polite ones

its just "you you you" for me

which I now completely ignore

on the topic of swearing

one thing about the F word, thais only know it as one very bad word,

where as in native English speaking countries it has probably 10 meanings,

depending on tone, intent and situation.

just one of many examples:

I'm trying to put a spring on a motocy exhaust and it has flown off across the room for 4th or 5th time,

and I spout out "<deleted><deleted><deleted>", my gf runs in "what, what wrong, why you say that?"

in a astonished voice,

I try to tell her its just blowing off steam in frustration,

which she cannot comprehend at all.

Not quite sure how you would translate "douchebag" or "you ahole " into Japanese, neither words exist as an insult..... You of course could literally translate ahole Or Ketsu no anna or kommon as it would be, but it would not really be an insult. Would be interested in seeing the translations.

There are equivalent phrases. I don't know about Japanese, but when I was learning Mandarin in the Air Force we were warned that the worst thing you could call anybody was "turtle's egg." That was sixty years ago, so it's probably changed. I would think in Thai it would be "beast with the nature of a monitor lizard." There are a couple of other things that my late first wife used to call me that I don't even want to translate. Different languages use different idioms. There usually is no way to translate word for word. You need to memorize not single words, but phrases.

Not quite sure how you would translate "douchebag" or "you ahole " into Japanese, neither words exist as an insult..... You of course could literally translate ahole Or Kommon no anna as it would be, but it would not really be an insult. Would be interested in seeing the translations.

Calling somebody the stinky hole that feces get ejaculated from would not be an insult? I actually thought there was a few Japanese words that covered this orifice when it came to insults.

You ejaculate feces? I think there's something wrong with your plumbing.

• Like 1

Does "peter the english teacher" have connotations like "roger the cabin boy"?

• Like 1

how is that offensive?

it's just a generic word for a foreigner

the first white people seen in Thailand were the French **** Thai language edited out **** (Farang Saet)

hence the word used to describe foreigners stuck

Not even close.

I've been called hansum man so many times I'm starting to believe it. In my village I am referred to as long farang. If they're calling me anything worse than that, I don't want to know.

Is that the English 'long' as in 'tall', or maybe Thai 'luang' (?) as in 'uncle' ?

Text Book / Ministry of Education?? Is this a book being used as part of a course at an educational institution or just some random book published by some random company for those wishing to purchase it and others wishing to ban it? Perhaps the publisher is the one doing the complaining hoping to drum up sales.

They should let the Ministry of Sllly Walks have a look into this. Maybe they can come up with the answers in how to behave.

Edited by balo

Isn't Saefiftyseven a bit of a challenge to pronounce for the average Thai?tongue.png

Edited by MZurf

Not quite sure how you would translate "douchebag" or "you ahole " into Japanese, neither words exist as an insult..... You of course could literally translate ahole Or Kommon no anna as it would be, but it would not really be an insult. Would be interested in seeing the translations.

Calling somebody the stinky hole that feces get ejaculated from would not be an insult? I actually thought there was a few Japanese words that covered this orifice when it came to insults.

You ejaculate feces? I think there's something wrong with your plumbing.

Either that or one of us needs a dictionary. wink.png

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Why wouldn't you want to know the true character of people by not understanding them.

With a comment of "what'd he/she ffing call me?" as we're walking out or away, previous Thai girlfriends would never translate.

But my Lao wife was always all to happy to.

The insult is twice as good if the insulted is too thick to understand they've been insulted.

Thainess at its best. "Face" smashed.

Edited by Gringogazzer

Sorry if my Post #86 is confusing as it was intended to follow on the post suggesting TAT issue a booklet explaining what Thais mumble to foreigners.

i was using my new tablet and to say I haven't quite mastered it would be the understatement of the year.

Does "peter the english teacher" have connotations like "roger the cabin boy"?

No, no. It's just that some Thais think all farang males are named Peter and that if they live here they teach English.

Roger the cabin boy? That's a new one on me.

Isn't Saefiftyseven a bit of a challenge to pronounce for the average Thai?tongue.png

Well yes. But I continue to insist till they get it right! And if they can't get it right, then I just refuse to hang out with them.

--Lonely