Thai campaign to urge crash helmets for motorcycle travels begins

webfact

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes me several, often exasperating, months to train a house keeper to keep my home the way I like it, for which reason I pay well and give paid holidays and vacations. Although mae ban occasionally makes the odd mistake, I roll with it because I am aware that all are not as infallible as I. However, there is one error I will not tolerate. The first day she arrives to work on her motorbike without a helmet will be her first day of unemployment. I do not leave my driveway in Isan without a helmet. Had I done otherwise, I would be posting from the grave. A full head helmet saved me from a concussion on a city street and decapitation at a railroad crossing.

Okay, so I'm not infallible. I make mistakes, too. Once. Twice, if you count getting married.

Proper impact-tested motorcycle helmets are not cheap but on the other hand, mopeds don't go very fast.

Tourists who hire motorcycles NEED TO BE AWARE OF RAM-RAIDERS. I know this because a friend of a friend knows a couple who took a holiday in the Far East. They were riding along the main road when the noticed a car waiting in a side turning. It seemed that the people in the car were waiting because the moped had right-of-way.

When the moped drew level with the junction the car shot out of the side turning and the couple were knocked off their bike. The people in the car got out but instead of helping they just robbed the couple then drove away.

Wallets gone, passports gone, a wrecked moped to pay for and huge hospital bills. Thousands of dollars were needed.

Take care!

The most telling part of this is that "mopeds don't go very fast".

Have you ever accidentally walked into a lampost at, say, 2 miles per hour and felt the near concussion which ensued?

Ever stood up and hit your head on a worktop at, say, 1 mile per hour and been beside yourself in pain?

Mopeds don't go very fast but they go at a speed of at least 20 times either of those previous scenarios.

Sheer bloody ignorance on your part and an ignorance that perpetuates this problem.

When, as I have, you have witnessed a young, fourteen years of age, loved one suffer a head injury simply from falling from her PUSHBIKE and her head having collided with the concrete/tarmac and then lived day to day with the consequences of her coma for over two years before making the unbelievably agonising decision to allow her life support to be switched off because if (and it was a big "if") she had eventually "come back" she would have been irreperably brain damaged, you will know. Then you will know the stupidity and ignorance of your statement.

And no, she wasn't wearing a bicycle helmet (because it mussed-up her hair, which she objected to).

Sheer, sheer, sheer bloody ignorance.

Edit:

And consider this, too. You on your "slow" moped at 40mph in collision with a vehicle travelling towards you who crossed your path, also at a mere 40mph, makes an impact speed of 80mph.

"mopeds don't go very fast"

I am absolutely fuming!!

Edited by Duggsie

I was in Vietnam when they introduced the helmet law. First it was strict enforcing of the rider to wear a helmet with the pillion being exempt. This stopped the financial burden of having to buy 2 helmets at one time. I think it was 6 months then strict enforcement of all wearing helmets. The crucial word was "strict". The only time this can work in Thailand is now while the army is over seeing the BIB. If they wait until the BIB are running their own show again then it will never happen. Unless of course there was good money to be made.

Thais can't afford to buy real helmets anyway so whats the point ? If they really want to do this they should start removing all the useless helmets sold at Big C and Tesco . And find a helmet that really protects the head in an accident. So this will never happen.

Oh there is an idea. We have a campaign to push helmet use and you want to take them all off the shop shelves!

When I was a kid on Bikes and Scooters, I never wanted to wear a helmet either.Same for me

Same for me, and I sure as H e 1 1 haven't wanted to wear one since!

Wearing a helmet reduces your ability to hear other vehicles and on longer rides introduces neck fatigue.

Let people choose whether or not they wear one.

When I was a kid on Bikes and Scooters, I never wanted to wear a helmet either.Same for me

Same for me, and I sure as H e 1 1 haven't wanted to wear one since!

Wearing a helmet reduces your ability to hear other vehicles and on longer rides introduces neck fatigue.

Let people choose whether or not they wear one.

This is what we are all up against, sad to say.

Campaign beginning today!!!

The 100% campaign started more than a year ago, and there has been some attempt to enforce this, but what I see it has little effect.

Every day I see hundreds of kids on bikes going to school, no helmets and most would not have licences.

Police do not seem to take any action whatsoever about this, apart from, maybe, weekly stopping bikes on the main road where the rider does not have a helmet.

When I was a kid on Bikes and Scooters, I never wanted to wear a helmet either.

I'm 60+ and still don't want to wear a helmet. But I do because I know it MAKES SENSE.

Education is the key in this campaign. Start it at the schools. No kid dropped off, picked up or driving self on motorbike without proper head gear.

Teachers could sell helmets at the gate.

I'm 60+ and still don't want to wear a helmet. But I do because I know it MAKES SENSE.

Education is the key in this campaign. Start it at the schools. No kid dropped off, picked up or driving self on motorbike without proper head gear.

The problem is not that they don't have / can't get helmets, it's making them wear them. Enforcing at the school just simply means they will not attend, after all they will pass anyway and their parents have no control.

The ONLY answer is the police must enforce the law and fines have to become a deterrent. Or abolish the law altogether and accept the consequences.

There is a reasonable chance that when you were a kid, you broke the rules, but you also knew (and accepted) the consequences of doing so. Here there are no consequences, the concept is totally foreign, as we are..

The problem is not that they don't have / can't get helmets, it's making them wear them. Enforcing at the school just simply means they will not attend, after all they will pass anyway and their parents have no control.

The ONLY answer is the police must enforce the law and fines have to become a deterrent. Or abolish the law altogether and accept the consequences.

There is a reasonable chance that when you were a kid, you broke the rules, but you also knew (and accepted) the consequences of doing so. Here there are no consequences, the concept is totally foreign, as we are..

Make them buy a dozen helmets and I think you'll soon see them wear one. Judging by my local school most kids are picked up and dropped off by parent. Parent goes as far as taking kid to school I think they will make them attend. Police enforce the law! You'd have to increase the size of the police force 10 fold to even make a small dent in all the law breaking. That's why they have crackdowns. Today it's 'this' while everything else gets forgotten. One thing per day is all the police can handle. So lets put some of the law breaking in others hands. As far as kids, helmets and school days are concerned make it the duty of the teacher.

Maybe I did break a rule or two. Hard to remember but that was a different age with different rules. This is 2014 and we all know wearing a helmet makes sense. Just because we didn't do it in 1950 doesn't make it that we don't/shouldn't now. And as for consequence isn't knowing (and they all know) that not wearing a helmet could be a fine (or helmet purchase) and a fine (or helmet purchase) and another fine (or helmet purchase) each time they do it consequence enough. Over and over again just as with the rote system used in schools here. The only way to make them learn.

Make them buy a dozen helmets and I think you'll soon see them wear one. Judging by my local school most kids are picked up and dropped off by parent. Parent goes as far as taking kid to school I think they will make them attend. Police enforce the law! You'd have to increase the size of the police force 10 fold to even make a small dent in all the law breaking. That's why they have crackdowns. Today it's 'this' while everything else gets forgotten. One thing per day is all the police can handle. So lets put some of the law breaking in others hands. As far as kids, helmets and school days are concerned make it the duty of the teacher.

Maybe I did break a rule or two. Hard to remember but that was a different age with different rules. This is 2014 and we all know wearing a helmet makes sense. Just because we didn't do it in 1950 doesn't make it that we don't/shouldn't now. And as for consequence isn't knowing (and they all know) that not wearing a helmet could be a fine (or helmet purchase) and a fine (or helmet purchase) and another fine (or helmet purchase) each time they do it consequence enough. Over and over again just as with the rote system used in schools here. The only way to make them learn.

But; but.....the school system does not make them learn. Anyway; who needs a helmet when they've got an amulet and if that doesn't work mai pen rai...i'll be born again tomorrow !

But isn't that the whole point, they are not being fined, and if they have to pay the police it is a miniscule amount, not a deterrent. You could take away licenses after 3 fines, except none of them have one in the first place.....

The police must enforce the law, if any difference is to be made, if this can't be done, repeal the law, it's pointless anyway as no one obeys it and it isn't enforced!!

Anyway 90% of helmets on sale in Thailand are just useless when riding a motorbike. They look more as bicycle helmets

'Anyway', some protection is better than none at all.

What does the Thai authorities appreciate more than anything "MONEY" I wonder how much the Thai government would save each year for hospitalization of injured (head damaged) motorcyclist /passengers who did not wear their crash helmets?

You want a campaign to have people wear helmets. It's very simple. Get the police on the streets and issue tickets to those who are not wearing them. Not just one time a month but every day. Sooner or later they will learn.

That's it that's all.

But; but.....the school system does not make them learn. Anyway; who needs a helmet when they've got an amulet and if that doesn't work mai pen rai...i'll be born again tomorrow !

But they do learn what their told. What they're not taught and don't know is 'how to think' and 'find out for yourself'.

Father with son on his 6 times table:

Dad: What's 5x6?

Son: 30

Dad: Right. Now what's 6x6?

Son: 36

Dad: Right. Now what's 7x6?

Son: Don't know. Didn't go to school that day.

But isn't that the whole point, they are not being fined, and if they have to pay the police it is a miniscule amount, not a deterrent. You could take away licenses after 3 fines, except none of them have one in the first place.....

The police must enforce the law, if any difference is to be made, if this can't be done, repeal the law, it's pointless anyway as no one obeys it and it isn't enforced!!

There is no way the police could handle this. Simpler to put it in the hands of the school where every school day without helmet cost the purchase of a new one. Say 200 each, that's 1,000 week assuming they are repeat offenders. Over 4,000 month. PER CHILD. My neighbor has 3 kids that she ferries to school every day without helmets. How many times do you think it would take before she made them wear helmets. Not more than once or twice I'd bet. And because the teachers are there every day it can continue each and every school day. Unlike the police who have so much other things to catch there is no way they could be there every day. And every day it has to be. Occasional fining, miniscule or huge, won't work because most of the time they can get away with it because the police are on other duties. It HAS to be every day for it to work. If the police were to be on this ONE task every day they would have no time for everything else.

Why give in and repeal the law when a simple easy solution exists. Let the schools be responsible and take charge of this.

"But survey by road safety monitoring agencies, 55% of people are unaware of the existence of such law, and penalty for violation." This is hardly surprising,10 years or so ago I was asking my Thai friends what age kids had to be before they were legally allowed to ride the scooters/bikes. Not one person could give me an answer, some said 11 some even said 8! They didn't seem to be aware of the need for a license either. Mind you, this was on Samui and it's reckoned less than 25% of the Thais riding and driving had a driving license. Scary stuff indeed.

Anyway 90% of helmets on sale in Thailand are just useless when riding a motorbike. They look more as bicycle helmets

'Anyway', some protection is better than none at all.

What does the Thai authorities appreciate more than anything "MONEY" I wonder how much the Thai government would save each year for hospitalization of injured (head damaged) motorcyclist /passengers who did not wear their crash helmets?
What about a 'no helmet' 'no treatment' policy then. Not that I think it would make a difference to the helmet wearing or the accident rate but it could make a difference to the health system budget.

"But survey by road safety monitoring agencies, 55% of people are unaware of the existence of such law, and penalty for violation."

Survey must have been taken asking under 3-year olds in hill-tribe villages. 555. If it really is 55% then those 55% don't get out much.

Keester (too many linked posts)

Quote :

There is no way the police could handle this. Simpler to put it in the hands of the school where every school day without helmet cost the purchase of a new one. Say 200 each, that's 1,000 week assuming they are repeat offenders. Over 4,000 month. PER CHILD. My neighbor has 3 kids that she ferries to school every day without helmets. How many times do you think it would take before she made them wear helmets. Not more than once or twice I'd bet. And because the teachers are there every day it can continue each and every school day. Unlike the police who have so much other things to catch there is no way they could be there every day. And every day it has to be. Occasional fining, miniscule or huge, won't work because most of the time they can get away with it because the police are on other duties. It HAS to be every day for it to work. If the police were to be on this ONE task every day they would have no time for everything else.

Why give in and repeal the law when a simple easy solution exists. Let the schools be responsible and take charge of this.

Reply :

You REALLY don't get it do you, first the school has no authority to do this but even if they did they would just either not go to school or put the helmet on just before they arrived to avoid the fine. Just like they do at police road blocks....

ONLY the police and a deterrent form of punishment will work e.g. 1000 Baht fine pick up the bike when you pay the fine, don't pick it up for 3 months sell the bike or destroy it if it is not road worthy.

If the police can't do the job now it is because they never did it from day one and there is such a backlog. I am sure once the word got around they weren't going to tolerate it anymore it wouldn't take long for the problem to rectify itself, consistency is the key.

Edited in an attempt for continuity

Edited by RigPig

Even in Pattaya, there's still Thai people not wearing their helmet day or night...I mean <deleted>?

Also having young kids standing-up at the front of the motorbike grabbing onto the odometer is pure insanity! mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif

As I stated before, the transportation of kids on motorbikes is what REALLY gets to me more than adults choosing not to wear a helmet, the kids have no choice!! Then they grow up thinking it is normal.....

But then some of the pickups that take kids to high school with them standing on the back or tail gate is also criminal, none of them would stand a chance in a rear-ender!! The parents allow it but the schools must be to blame for that one.

Quote :

Reply :

You REALLY don't get it do you, first the school has no authority to do this but even if they did they would just either not go to school or put the helmet on just before they arrived to avoid the fine. Just like they do at police road blocks....

ONLY the police and a deterrent form of punishment will work e.g. 1000 Baht fine pick up the bike when you pay the fine, don't pick it up for 3 months sell the bike or destroy it if it is not road worthy.

If the police can't do the job now it is because they never did it from day one and there is such a backlog. I am sure once the word got around they weren't going to tolerate it anymore it wouldn't take long for the problem to rectify itself, consistency is the key.

And you just don't get it either. The police have many things to do and cannot only concentrate on this one problem. For that is what it would take. Many days, weeks of doing nothing but fining motorbike riders and passengers for not wearing a helmet. All that while everything else goes untouched. The school idea while not perfect is at least a start and some seem to agree with me. The kids need educating in why a helmet is good. Education is done at school not by police fining.

Quote :

Reply :

And you just don't get it either. The police have many things to do and cannot only concentrate on this one problem. For that is what it would take. Many days, weeks of doing nothing but fining motorbike riders and passengers for not wearing a helmet. All that while everything else goes untouched. The school idea while not perfect is at least a start and some seem to agree with me. The kids need educating in why a helmet is good. Education is done at school not by police fining.

Well I must disagree, there are police assigned to traffic duty, you don't need to assign the entire police force to the job. The Homicide department, detectives etc. don't need to get involved just have the guys that are supposed to be policing traffic do their jobs consistently and without prejudice. It won't take long for word to get around that they are serious and this is not another 9 day wonder crack down.

As for education, yes some gory videos shown at school would be of use, maybe, but as my Grandmother used to say "There are none so blind as those that don't want to see". It's human nature (especially for teenagers) to "feel" the boundaries. The only reason people don't cross the line is because the consequences of doing so make it not worth it. If this was not the case we would have pure anarchy.

I can almost guarantee that if the traffic police did their jobs properly and consistently, never relenting and not just a "crackdown" , the deterrent was harsh enough then the numbers of people riding motorcycles without helmets would decrease dramatically within 6 months. It just wouldn't be worth it.

If I was a teacher I would not be doing the police's job for them and as with everything they would just find a way around it. The helmets would come off and go in the basket 50 metres down the road. End of story, it's what I would do as a teenager. I would however be terrified to tell my parents the bike had been confiscated and we had to pay a 1000 baht fine.