Am I considered as a visa runner?

I came to Thailand (Bangkok to be exact) last August 17 and got a 30-day visa exempt. I just extended my visa for another 30 days which will expire on October 15. I have a flight out of the country of October 11. But instead of going back to my home country I am thinking of going to either Laos or Cambodia for a week or two and then apply for a double-entry tourist visa (this will be my first visa application for the country) and come back to Thailand.

Now my questions are:

1. Which is a better place to apply for a double-entry tourist visa (Laos or Cambodia) where I could also stay for 2 weeks and not getting bored (meaning place would have decent coffee shops and hotel) and has a big possibility not to be denied?

2. Am I considered as a visa runner by doing this?

Thanks in advance.

No your not abusing the visa exempt stamp. But your doing the safe thing and getting tourist visa. Good idea.

I just did similar thing after 2 years of stamps etc.

Consider HCM. Good Thai consular there very quick service. Make sure you take plane ticket into Thailand.

Airasia has return flights for 3000baht. Stay district 1. Have a ball.

Sien Reap is also very chill joint. Airfare same or less and of course has Angkor Wat

1. Laos, in Cambodia you will only get a single entry.

2. No, you should be fine.

Exactly what I was going to say. You will be totally fine. Vientiane has always been easier, but you can still get a single entry in Phenom Phen.

Immigration has defined "visa runners" as people using the visa exempt rules, going to the border for just minutes then coming back across repeatedly in order to stay in Thailand indefinitely.

No, based upon what you stated you are not a Visa Runner. Laos is maybe better (VTE). Easy to do Double Entry Visa there and it only takes a couple of days (one day to submit application etc and day 2 to get your passport back in the afternoon). Good hotels (try agoda.com they have good prices). Visa is upon arrival and I think that the cost is still $26 (good to have exact if you can).

Really the same could be said for Cambodia (PNH) but you will only usually get a Single Entry Visa (same time frame as above). You can get a Cambodian Visa on line for $25 (for an extra $5 service fee if memory serves... not a big deal as it does away with you having to stand in lines at the airport). Again agoda.com is a good source for hotels.

I found that Laos is a bit cheaper than Cam, but what do I know.

Have a good trip and enjoy it all!

No, based upon what you stated you are not a Visa Runner. Laos is maybe better (VTE). Easy to do Double Entry Visa there and it only takes a couple of days (one day to submit application etc and day 2 to get your passport back in the afternoon). Good hotels (try agoda.com they have good prices). Visa is upon arrival and I think that the cost is still $26 (good to have exact if you can).

Really the same could be said for Cambodia (PNH) but you will only usually get a Single Entry Visa (same time frame as above). You can get a Cambodian Visa on line for $25 (for an extra $5 service fee if memory serves... not a big deal as it does away with you having to stand in lines at the airport). Again agoda.com is a good source for hotels.

If you decide to use Agoda. The price they give you at first is not the complete price you pay. There are additions. remember to read the small print.

1. Laos, in Cambodia you will only get a single entry.

2. No, you should be fine.

Exactly what I was going to say. You will be totally fine. Vientiane has always been easier, but you can still get a single entry in Phenom Phen.

Immigration has defined "visa runners" as people using the visa exempt rules, going to the border for just minutes then coming back across repeatedly in order to stay in Thailand indefinitely.

You may be correct but I take it differently.

The abuse of stamps is anyone just obtaining back to back stamps in order to stay here long term. How many u are allowed isn't spelt out. I for example used to go HCM Stay several days. Did this for a year. Those days are over. I will now get a non o and extend based on retirement. For others under 50 they will need tourist or

ED or whatever. Stamps won't cut it.

What I mean by visa runners.....its not just people that cross border then turn around and re enter.

I over 18 months left Thailand, by plane, and stayed out each time for several days. I WAS a visa runner. Wasn't breaking any law but let's say not acting in the spirit of what the stamps were designed for. That is tourists staying 60 days or so. That's why they allowed the stamp extension.

Vietnam and Cambodia don't let you in without a visa. I think Thailand is generous. Maybe do away with the stamps all together.

What I mean by visa runners.....its not just people that cross border then turn around and re enter.

I over 18 months left Thailand, by plane, and stayed out each time for several days. I WAS a visa runner. Wasn't breaking any law but let's say not acting in the spirit of what the stamps were designed for. That is tourists staying 60 days or so. That's why they allowed the stamp extension.

Vietnam and Cambodia don't let you in without a visa. I think Thailand is generous. Maybe do away with the stamps all together.

You were not a visa runner. A "visa runner" is somebody that only leaves and then immediately returns for another visa exempt entry. But it is truly a misnomer in that sense because you don't get a visa.

What you were doing was and is perfectly legitimate. That is what tourists often do.

You were not a visa runner. A "visa runner" is somebody that only leaves and then immediately returns for another visa exempt entry. But it is truly a misnomer in that sense because you don't get a visa.

What you were doing was and is perfectly legitimate. That is what tourists often do.

Ubonjoe first of all ...thankyou for all the advice you give the members.

Last time i went to hcm I decided to get a tourist visa. I did this just befor the aug 12 , so called crackdown.

I understand what your saying and i await feedback from members that have had many many stamps, all beit travel by plane and staying out say 7 days every month. Wish members would give us an update, positive or negative.

Sort of unrelated but when i was in thai consulate in HCM to apply for tourist visa ( im going to au tonight for isit and will obtain non imm o. When back get extnsion based on retirement)

Anyway the polite io said, after looking at my passport with MANY stamps...." why you no have retirement visa"

Yes i know its only an extension.

Bob Dylan wrote a song .....the times are a changing

My question is similar or related. So hope I can ask here instead of start new question.

I want to be sure and the more I read the more I get confuse.

So. Brit citizen. Enter Thailand on visa exempt stamp. He can stay 30 days I understand. Is this correct?

After 30 days he may take a short trip outside of Thailand, stay there 5 to 7 days. And return to Thailand again, and want to stay for one month. The second trip, he can come back and get visa exempt stamp at border again? Can be by airport or by land? Or airport only?

In summary, he wants to stay in Thailand for two months, but can exit and return. What would be best way to do this. He will be on holidays, not working.

The last time he did similar, stay close to one month, leave for short holiday in neighbour country, return to Thailand for one more month. He last left Thailand in Jan 2014

Thank you all. SOrry if my question is not clear.....I hope it is!

My question is similar or related. So hope I can ask here instead of start new question.

So. Brit citizen. Enter Thailand on visa exempt stamp. He can stay 30 days I understand. Is this correct?

After 30 days he may take a short trip outside of Thailand, stay there 5 to 7 days. And return to Thailand again, and want to stay for one month. The second trip, he can come back and get visa exempt stamp at border again? Can be by airport or by land? Or airport only?

In summary, he wants to stay in Thailand for two months, but can exit and return. What would be best way to do this. He will be on holidays, not working.

The last time he did similar, stay close to one month, leave for short holiday in neighbour country, return to Thailand for one more month. He last left Thailand in Jan 2014

He can do the same this year again.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe first of all ...thankyou for all the advice you give the members.

Last time i went to hcm I decided to get a tourist visa. I did this just befor the aug 12 , so called crackdown.

I understand what your saying and i await feedback from members that have had many many stamps, all beit travel by plane and staying out say 7 days every month. Wish members would give us an update, positive or negative.

Sort of unrelated but when i was in thai consulate in HCM to apply for tourist visa ( im going to au tonight for isit and will obtain non imm o. When back get extnsion based on retirement)

Anyway the polite io said, after looking at my passport with MANY stamps...." why you no have retirement visa"

Yes i know its only an extension.

Bob Dylan wrote a song .....the times are a changing

You were not a visa runner as defined by Thai immigration.

VisExempt1.jpg

• Like 1

If you decide to use Agoda. The price they give you at first is not the complete price you pay. There are additions. remember to read the small print.

Since when? I have NEVER had any extra charges or fees added to my Agoda booking. Not in 5 years of using them.

Since when? I have NEVER had any extra charges or fees added to my Agoda booking. Not in 5 years of using them.

Are you seriously saying that in five years of dealing with Agoda, the first price they have quoted you for a room, is the price you have paid? Can you please truthfully answer this?

Are you seriously saying that in five years of dealing with Agoda, the first price they have quoted you for a room, is the price you have paid? Can you please truthfully answer this?

Yep. Afraid so. I have been a member of their travel points thingie and have always printed out my "Coupon" and never once been charged any extra except for one time. Then I called them and asked why and was given a refund for the $3.25 (I think was the amount). So yes, I can answer that truthfully. To suggest that I wasn't is a bit questionable... but okay. But nope... I have never been charged on my credit card more than I was quoted by Agoda (which I always check and pay in full anyway every month) so I have never have seen anything questionable from Agoda . As a matter of fact I even had the amount I thought I was going to pay reduced without asking. So I have no idea what you are on about. They might not be the best out there, and yes like all the other sites they will get things wrong from time to time. But in my experience they are the cheapest and the most hassle free. It is nice to go into a place with a "Coupon" that has everything in writing and not just a printed copy of an Expedia Itinerary that in the past here in Thailand I have had to argue about.

But to each his own, and enough said.

Anyone else got any views on what Amariva is saying about Agoda? Very often when I was looking for a hotel to book, I would come up with Agoda, first the price would come up, and then the final price which was a bit more after some addition for something which I can't remember, probably some tax.

Or if he wants to he can apply for a 30 day extension of his 30 day entry at immigration.

• Like 1

No, the price you initially see when you're looking at the listings and go to initially book a room does not include VAT & S/C (however there is a note right there under the quote telling you that VAT & S/C are not included - it's pretty clear). Yes, these ARE included in the "total price" you see - and noted so - when you reach the final portion of the booking process. You CAN back out of the reservation at this point. Sheesh. Relax.

Mr Hawker,there is no excuse for not displaying the full price right away,all the average hotel booker wants to know is how much he/she will have to pay for his/her room. He/She is not going to be the least bit interested in what tax etc he/she has to pay.

Agoda is using this practice because they know the first price is what the booker will concentrate on, most of the bookers will then say to themselves, "oh it's only another fifty baht or whatever, then just go and book it.

Or if he wants to he can apply for a 30 day extension of his 30 day entry at immigration.

Ie. no need to leave Thailand after first 30 days are due?

So, no change to usual entry restrictions? I read on many Facebook experience that immigration clamp down on frequent entries. So that is for more frequent like 3 or 4 times in and out in one year?

Can we talk about visa only and not agoda pricing please? :)

So, no change to usual entry restrictions? I read on many Facebook experience that immigration clamp down on frequent entries. So that is for more frequent like 3 or 4 times in and out in one year?

Can we talk about visa only and not agoda pricing please? smile.png

Correct

It is now possible to get a 30 day extension for a visa exempt entry. No need to leave when the 30 (or 15) days ends. Cost is 1900 baht.

There is no limit on the number of entries. Only staying for the entire entry, leaving and immediately returning for another entry is restricted according to the immigration guidelines.

Staying 30 days then leaving for a week or so and coming back would not be a problem. They just don't want people staying here full time on exempt entries.

If wanting to stay long term it would be best to get a tourist visa though.

• Like 1

If you're trying to say Ho Chi Minh City, then it is commonly abbreviated HCMC. Otherwise, I have no idea what HCM is.

Well you are so clever clearly you were able to work out it was Saigon....what a clever little chap. In AU we call you a smart A**.

If you intend to stay longer than 30 days it's better that you get a tourist visa in first place.

Reason is that a visa cost less than the extension at 1,900 Bt and saves you a potential long wait at immigration in Thailand that is not fun.

Edited by paz

If you're trying to say Ho Chi Minh City, then it is commonly abbreviated HCMC. Otherwise, I have no idea what HCM is.

Well you are so clever clearly you were able to work out it was Saigon....what a clever little chap. In AU we call you a smart A**.

Just trying to help. I'm not Australian