Koh Tao island 'sealed off' after gruesome murder of two British tourists

webfact

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some countries would take this as an attack on their citizens.

At some time, one country will finally say... enough is enough... Stop robbing and killing our people!

The only thing countries can do is warn their citizens.

Not sure if other UK citizens get them, have to register of course, but i received a GOV.UK alert detailing this crime. No real difference to the news though.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29203485

It's not as dangerous as people believe. Listen to the figures.

If the pair were engaged in activities which are not accepted in Thailand, it is not surprising trouble arrived - although no need for the outcome.

RIP to the youngsters, and condolances to the families of both.

Mate. That really is a completely fatuous argument.

2 people have been bludgeoned to death. Not given a telling off or a clip around the ear.

I don't care what they were doing.

Thailand is in the top 10 mist dangerous places for British tourists. Thailand gives the illusion of safety, but deep down, you can be one comment away from a good shoeing, at worst a random attack like this.

Sad events.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

Time to carry your own sidearm . If some "crazed drug thug" wants to attempt physical violence then finish it quickly

... and spend the rest of your life in jail

This is what I said to another yank in the other thread on this topic, carrying a knife around is a crime, even if you intend to use it for self defense. if you end up in a confrontation and stab someone and they die or not, you are in deep doo doo even if you were defending yourself. The Thai police aren't going to just slap you on the wrist, 'why did you have the knife, you killed a Thai national' etcetc, salutations

Zonka post # 3

One of Millers friends has been detained. Police believe it could possibly be a migrant worker. Why do Thais never want to admit responsibility. How could they possibly know that the cctv footage is a migrant worker?

Because dear Zonka, the mighty god the tourist baht is at risk thus as the Thai's are such honest hard working people, as an example we must observer closely the jet Ski industry the gem trade options when sadly the temple of the Emerald Buddha is closed they indeed strive to create a tourist paradise a safer haven from a cruel world
indeed the list of alternatives is amazing in its range and ingenuity. The Thai's have but one aim pure Sanook for their foreign guests.
To see a tourist returning home somewhat lighter, (thus obviously healthier,) mainly in their pockets than when they arrived is indeed the attainment of Nirvana for the Thai's involved in the great tourist industry scam schemes
Thus of course it could in fact could nay in fact must be only a ''foreigner who would commit such vile crimes against Thailand's tourists guests.whistling.gif
As an aside to the post above by Eric Berg. The murder/ homicide count for the U.K in 2013 amounted to 551 homicides which when compared to the figure here for the deaths of U.K citizens (339) the comparison ratio wise shows that the U.K. homicide rate is indeed low. Might be safer staying at home perhaps viewing those figures.
Considering we are taking into account a tourist industry and the numbers involved it would seem in truth that Thailand is a somewhat dangerous place for U.K citizens as seems the case for other foreign tourists Ttoo .

That's an interesting figure especially when you consider the British population is 64 million. 551 homicides from 64 million people and 339 deaths from 800,000 Brits visiting Thailand. That mean a Brit is more than 60 times more likely to get murdered in Thailand than at home.

Time to carry your own sidearm . If some "crazed drug thug" wants to attempt physical violence then finish it quickly

i guess some would prefer death by a blade than prison

End up in a Thai prison for killing a Thai or knife fighting with one, expect more knife fights to come inside. You love knives so it should be paradise in the Bangkok Hilton for you good sir

If the pair were engaged in activities which are not accepted in Thailand, it is not surprising trouble arrived - although no need for the outcome.

2 people have been bludgeoned to death. Not given a telling off or a clip around the ear.

Thailand is in the top 10 mist dangerous places for British tourists. Thailand gives the illusion of safety, but deep down, you can be one comment away from a good shoeing, at worst a random attack like this.

Sad events.

Come on mate, I never even condoned the bludgeoning. I simply indicated that certain actions, if undertaken in Thailand (and even elsewhere), draw attention -

Especially in beach areas!

It's thus not fatuitous or cynical, but simply a pragmatic observation.

The simple problem here is that, in days of old, people came to Thai islands for the sun, sea and sand - NOT the late night parties.

Now, some of the islands are becoming almost like Spanish resorts - late night parties, drugs and booze.

I iterate; that does not in anyway condone the outcome of events, but it does indicate increasing dangers, albeit being introduced by what the younger generations seek.

I go to Panghan every year, of course with my Thai wife, and we are up before dawn, enjoy the beach and the food and relax, and are generally in bed at 11pm.

Now you could call me an old fart, but that is what out visit is for - to take in the sea, the sand, and relax away from work.

That is the primary aim of what the majority of Thai wish to offer their services to.

One is also one comment away from attack in Birmingham, Liverpool, Sheffield, and even the outbacks of Cwmbran, or Suffolk, with such random attacks.

However, to maim every island as dangerous only depends upon what one does there. I think that's fairly simplle to observe, as is the respecting of Thai rules and culture. In addition, I reiterate that this does not excuse any of the treatment people get if they end up paying with their lives for it.

Edited by DrLom

Lomprayah ferry running past my window right now on route to Phangan/Samui, so if the ferries are running they must have caught the murderer?

Nah, the flow of money is more important methinks.

I doubt UK or America they would stop ferries for more than a couple hours.

I read that the ferries were stopped. It's a small island. Let's hope the only people allowed to leave have a cast iron alibi and agree to a DNA swab. Anyway, let's hope they catch the real murderer(s) and I hope no innocent gets stitched up. Edited by watso63

Zonka post # 3

One of Millers friends has been detained. Police believe it could possibly be a migrant worker. Why do Thais never want to admit responsibility. How could they possibly know that the cctv footage is a migrant worker?

Because dear Zonka, the mighty god the tourist baht is at risk thus as the Thai's are such honest hard working people, as an example we must observer closely the jet Ski industry the gem trade options when sadly the temple of the Emerald Buddha is closed they indeed strive to create a tourist paradise a safer haven from a cruel world
indeed the list of alternatives is amazing in its range and ingenuity. The Thai's have but one aim pure Sanook for their foreign guests.
To see a tourist returning home somewhat lighter, (thus obviously healthier,) mainly in their pockets than when they arrived is indeed the attainment of Nirvana for the Thai's involved in the great tourist industry scam schemes
Thus of course it could in fact could nay in fact must be only a ''foreigner who would commit such vile crimes against Thailand's tourists guests.whistling.gif
As an aside to the post above by Eric Berg. The murder/ homicide count for the U.K in 2013 amounted to 551 homicides which when compared to the figure here for the deaths of U.K citizens (339) the comparison ratio wise shows that the U.K. homicide rate is indeed low. Might be safer staying at home perhaps viewing those figures.
Considering we are taking into account a tourist industry and the numbers involved it would seem in truth that Thailand is a somewhat dangerous place for U.K citizens as seems the case for other foreign tourists Ttoo .

That's an interesting figure especially when you consider the British population is 64 million. 551 homicides from 64 million people and 339 deaths from 800,000 Brits visiting Thailand. That mean a Brit is more than 60 times more likely to get murdered in Thailand than at home.

That would be 60 x more likely to die not murdered, last 5 years its averaged 2 brits per year murdered, which is still pretty high.................. now if youd care to take a stab at how many homicides per year in Thailand overall that might be more interesting, 2011 it was 3,307 reported murders but you can safely double or treble that with people who simply disappear ...

Edited by englishoak

Lomprayah ferry running past my window right now on route to Phangan/Samui, so if the ferries are running they must have caught the murderer?

I read that the ferries were stopped. It's a small island. Let's hope the only people allowed to leave have a cast iron alibi and agree to a DNA swab. Anyway, let's hope they catch the real murderer(s) and I hope no innocent gets stitched up.

They have detained 3 Burmese guys they wanted to track down caught on CCTV around the location at the time of the incident. However that doesn't mean everything should go back to normal right now unless they have gotten a solid confession without beating them to a pulp

• Like 1

than a couple hours.

I read that the ferries were stopped. It's a small island. Let's hope the only people allowed to leave have a cast iron alibi and agree to a DNA swab. Anyway, let's hope they catch the real murderer(s) and I hope no innocent gets stitched up.

They have detained 3 Burmese guys they wanted to track down caught on CCTV around the location at the time of the incident. However that doesn't mean everything should go back to normal right now unless they have gotten a solid confession without beating them to a pulp

Shouldnt have to, DNA should do the job without the need for a kicking, that can take place and be easily arranged once convicted.

I can't imagine what the families of the victims are going through, terrible.

Given the murder weapon I find it very hard to believe that another tourist was responsible for this. Let's hope they catch the real perps and don't just set up some Burmese immigrants for the sake of a quick conclusion to the case.

"Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, meanwhile, said Tourist Police were already on high alert. She added that tourists visiting the Kingdom would all be under the protection of official bodies to prevent further damage to the country's reputation."

Really? Are they going to give each person coming off the plane their own personal bodyguard? What an idiotic thing to say! But at least the real concern comes out in her asinine statement; "...prevent further damage to the reputation of Thailand." That's all that matters. A farang's life is worth slightly less than a soi dog's life here in good ol' LOS.

RIP to this tragic young couple. This a much more violent and dangerous country than most people would imagine.

are she still minister ?

I think the Prim said, if any stuff - ministers in his cabinett will not be ....

he will change them instantly

Sad events.

Come on mate, I never even condoned the bludgeoning. I simply indicated that certain actions, if undertaken in Thailand (and even elsewhere), draw attention -

The simple problem here is that, in days of old, people came to Thai islands for the sun, sea and sand - NOT the late night parties.

Now, some of the islands are becoming almost like Spanish resorts - late night parties, drugs and booze.

I iterate; that does not in anyway condone the outcome of events, but it does indicate increasing dangers, albeit being introduced by what the younger generations seek.

I go to Panghan every year, of course with my Thai wife, and we are up before dawn, enjoy the beach and the food and relax, and are generally in bed at 11pm.

Now you could call me an old fart, but that is what out visit is for - to take in the sea, the sand, and relax away from work.

That is the primary aim of what the majority of Thai wish to offer their services to.

One is also one comment away from attack in Birmingham, Liverpool, Sheffield, and even the outbacks of Cwmbran, or Suffolk, with such random attacks.

However, to maim every island as dangerous only depends upon what one does there. I think that's fairly simplle to observe, as is the respecting of Thai rules and culture. In addition, I reiterate that this does not excuse any of the treatment people get if they end up paying with their lives for it.

Me too. I am an oldie these days and I never went to a full moon party.

Problem is, Thailand poses itself as a safe tourist destination. That is not the truth. You need your wits about u and need to be extremely culturally sensitive when going about your business.

This should be advertised more. And no, one is not a comment away from attack in those places. How many drunk people get into taxis every day in the UK and are a little lippy but get home fine.

The streets of the UK after kicking out are a mess, but the police are there policing people. Here it ends with a stabbing, shooting or a street brawl. There is zero thought to the fact that drunk people get into trouble.

I lived upcountry for 18 years. 3 years ago we got our first beating by TUK TUK drivers onto a drunk foreigner. Maybe he deserved a clip, but the shoeing he got put him within an inch of his life.

Thailand and cheap boozy tourism doesn't mix well.

than a couple hours.

Shouldnt have to, DNA should do the job without the need for a kicking, that can take place and be easily arranged once convicted.

Yea the DNA will be the answer to all of this, but with my experience with violent officers, it only takes one and they do relish in a good kicking

No conclusions yet !!!

Let's hope for Thailand's sake the perpetrators are not Thai.

you can bet 100% that they wont be Thai even if they left their Thai ID cards at the scene of the crime.

Last high profile case police posed as fish buyers to nap the two Thai men who raped and killed a woman

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/jan/09/ukcrime.world

Thaksin wanted to execute these two killers. The locals wanted them hanged.

If a Thai killed this gal and guy the Thai will not be protected by locals.

Edited by lingyai

These 3 Burmese guys are most probabley the BIB's scapegoats at the ready in case they cannot catch the real killer/s.

i guess some would prefer death by a blade than prison

End up in a Thai prison for killing a Thai or knife fighting with one, expect more knife fights to come inside. You love knives so it should be paradise in the Bangkok Hilton for you good sir

what a crazy rant, i defend against a knife with something that moves through the air faster than a blade

Sad events.

Me too. I am an oldie these days and I never went to a full moon party.

Problem is, Thailand poses itself as a safe tourist destination. That is not the truth. You need your wits about u and need to be extremely culturally sensitive when going about your business.

This should be advertised more. And no, one is not a comment away from attack in those places. How many drunk people get into taxis every day in the UK and are a little lippy but get home fine.

The streets of the UK after kicking out are a mess, but the police are there policing people. Here it ends with a stabbing, shooting or a street brawl. There is zero thought to the fact that drunk people get into trouble.

I lived upcountry for 18 years. 3 years ago we got our first beating by TUK TUK drivers onto a drunk foreigner. Maybe he deserved a clip, but the shoeing he got put him within an inch of his life.

Thailand and cheap boozy tourism doesn't mix well.

Well you hit the nail on the head there, in the very last sentence! ;)wai.gif

No conclusions yet !!!

Let's hope for Thailand's sake the perpetrators are not Thai.

you can bet 100% that they wont be Thai even if they left their Thai ID cards at the scene of the crime.

Last high profile case police posed as fish buyers to nap the two Thai men who raped and killed a woman

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/jan/09/ukcrime.world

Thaksin wanted to execute these two killers. The locals wanted them hanged.

If a Thai killed this gal and guy the Thai will not be protected by locals.

Unfortunately facts won't stop people writing prejudiced nonsense about Thais and Thailand.

• Like 2

Rape as a motive to murder in this case just doesn't fly. Why would a rapist/ murderer/s pick a potential victim that is in the company of a young, fit and healthy male ? There would be much easier targets in that party enviroment. Theft also doesn't seem to fit either as the couple most likely had minimal baht on their person at the time they were killed considering they were naked.