Koh Tao island 'sealed off' after gruesome murder of two British tourists

webfact

2 years ago my GF and I walked on that section of beach many times. This Christmas we were hoping to do the same again. Now i'm not so sure... I just don't think it would have the same appeal knowing that 2 innocent holidaymakers met their demise on the same sand we'd be walking on. It would certainly take the romantic feel away from it, and make us feel like we could be next. Unlikely I know, but how unlikely did it feel to this couple that they'd be murdered on that night?

Hard to tell if this will affect Khao Tao long-term?

You run as much of a risk driving in a car as you do in being murdered, there's more fatalities on Koh Tao through RTC's than murder, but I'll bet you it doesn't stop you getting into a taxi not even knowing if the taxi driver is pissed out his head/drugged up or even has a drving license?

Koh Tao will be in shock for a few weeks, maybe a few months, but the high turnover of tourists there this case will soon be just another Thailand statistic.

• Like 2

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This murder did make it to international headlines.

Thailand certainly doesn't lack for grief producing events.

You seem not to read international news. It did make headlines. Fox news had in on the front page as did many other news organizations.

What media are you reading

Duck Dynasty News ?

What are you and several others talking about? Your ID indicates you're English - where does Watcharacters ever say DID NOT? He states clearly that this murder DID MAKE IT to Int'l headlines.

I do not see anything in his user name or avatar that indicates he is English, just that he is British...

This murder did make it to international headlines.

Thailand certainly doesn't lack for grief producing events.

You seem not to read international news. It did make headlines. Fox news had in on the front page as did many other news organizations.

What media are you reading

Duck Dynasty News ?

What are you and several others talking about? Your ID indicates you're English - where does Watcharacters ever say DID NOT? He states clearly that this murder DID MAKE IT to Int'l headlines.

I do not see anything in his user name or avatar that indicates he is English, just that he is British...

Check your quote nest again.

He's talking about realenglish1, not BKKBrit.

Rape as a motive to murder in this case just doesn't fly. Why would a rapist/ murderer/s pick a potential victim that is in the company of a young, fit and healthy male ? There would be much easier targets in that party enviroment. Theft also doesn't seem to fit either as the couple most likely had minimal baht on their person at the time they were killed considering they were naked.

While rapists generally go after women who are alone, killing the male partner and then sexually assaulting the woman is not unheard of. Richard Ramirez (AKA the Night Stalker) did it. The Zodiac killer stabbed couples more than once (though didn't rape).

It could have been more a motivation to murder than to rape but after he killed the man he decided to rape the woman before killing her.

He since it was dark and he had the element of surprise he might have killed the man easily.

I hope the killer is caught quickly.

Koh Tao is hardly a playground for a seasoned serial killer like those you mention. But I guess nothing is off the table ATM.

Rape as a motive to murder in this case just doesn't fly. Why would a rapist/ murderer/s pick a potential victim that is in the company of a young, fit and healthy male ? There would be much easier targets in that party enviroment. Theft also doesn't seem to fit either as the couple most likely had minimal baht on their person at the time they were killed considering they were naked.

If you read the news, there were four of them, including an Asian who was seen on cctv fleeing the other farang was in the sea he had serious wounds.

I think they were naked and having a bit of 'fun' on the beach and someone got jealous , found a hoe and went mad .

He has fled also , how was this allowed if hes not the killer , he is a key witness !

Drug/alcohol induced rage ? Definately plausable. The Islands down there have plenty of both.

While rapists generally go after women who are alone, killing the male partner and then sexually assaulting the woman is not unheard of. Richard Ramirez (AKA the Night Stalker) did it. The Zodiac killer stabbed couples more than once (though didn't rape).

It could have been more a motivation to murder than to rape but after he killed the man he decided to rape the woman before killing her.

He since it was dark and he had the element of surprise he might have killed the man easily.

I hope the killer is caught quickly.

Koh Tao is hardly a playground for a seasoned serial killer like those you mention. But I guess nothing is off the table ATM.

Serial killers tend to me smart, killing 2 people near dawn on an island is not smart. Your get away options are pretty limited and risky. Whoever did this did it out of some impulsive urge and most likely under the influence of something, if not then they may be mentally unstable.

I think this must be the work of two ore more persons...

Bet the police have been told to find the killers quickly... and to ensure they are not Thai's.

very likely

read on the BBC that a senior PO said it could not be a Thai

Jonathan Head, BBC's Thailand correspondent, said on the news today that police had told him it could not be a Thai, because a "Thai national could not have committed this horrible crime." He commented that he didn't think this was a very open-minded attitude, but perhaps he might have put it stronger off-camera.

This, incidentally, is why they are focusing on the Burmese, after ruling out Thais and also farangs.

" Tourists visiting the Kingdom will all be under the protection of official bodies to prevent further damage to the country's reputation. "

a bit like north-korea where those "tourists" are followed everywhere they go and told where they are allowed and where not

• Like 1

I think this must be the work of two ore more persons...

Bet the police have been told to find the killers quickly... and to ensure they are not Thai's.

very likely

read on the BBC that a senior PO said it could not be a Thai

Jonathan Head, BBC's Thailand correspondent, said on the news today that police had told him it could not be a Thai, because a "Thai national could not have committed this horrible crime." He commented that he didn't think this was a very open-minded attitude, but perhaps he might have put it stronger off-camera.

This, incidentally, is why they are focusing on the Burmese, after ruling out Thais and also farangs.

one would normally say that was a "staggering" statement by police, but those of us who know the country well are not surprised. The British foreign office must demand concrete evidence of anyone arrested, not some eye witness or confession.

2 years ago my GF and I walked on that section of beach many times. This Christmas we were hoping to do the same again. Now i'm not so sure... I just don't think it would have the same appeal knowing that 2 innocent holidaymakers met their demise on the same sand we'd be walking on. It would certainly take the romantic feel away from it, and make us feel like we could be next. Unlikely I know, but how unlikely did it feel to this couple that they'd be murdered on that night?

Hard to tell if this will affect Khao Tao long-term?

I agree completely, and I have a similar feeling. Around 28 years ago I was walking around downtown New York, including WTC, and just 15 years later several buildings came crashing down, and lots of people died. I have often thought of going to New York again, but I do not think it will have the same appeal knowing that so many people died in the same streets that I'd be walking in. It would make me feel I could be next. Unlikely I know, but how unlikely did it feel to the WTC victims that they'd be murdered on that day?

'There were 389 deaths of British nationals ... about one for every 2,400 visitors or residents ...' That seems an extremely high figure, especially for one group. How many were natural causes, I wonder?

And is there a good reason why the media consistently refers to Thais, whether suspects or victims, as Mr/Mrs/Ms, but fails to afford the same courtesy to foreign nationals?

'There were 389 deaths of British nationals ... about one for every 2,400 visitors or residents ...' That seems an extremely high figure, especially for one group. How many were natural causes, I wonder?

And is there a good reason why the media consistently refers to Thais, whether suspects or victims, as Mr/Mrs/Ms, but fails to afford the same courtesy to foreign nationals?

There are plenty of retirees who pass on.

That said, Thailand is in the top ten dangerous places for British travellers. Motorcycles, booze, no safety control etc etc.

I would like to hear from people who know the island geographically, and the beach.

What is surrounding, and what happens at beach parties.

By what we have heard so far, the police are not trustworhty. We need all the advice we can get.

Thank you,

Wendy.

That said, Thailand is in the top ten dangerous places for British travellers. Motorcycles, booze, no safety control etc etc.

Thai at Heart, so, what you're trying to say, is, is that most of the British people who die in Thailand, they die from their own lack of responsibility ??

" Tourists visiting the Kingdom will all be under the protection of official bodies to prevent further damage to the country's reputation. "

a bit like north-korea where those "tourists" are followed everywhere they go and told where they are allowed and where not

How exactly is it remotely similar to that? There is a chasm of difference between the 2.

• Like 1

Thai at Heart, so, what you're trying to say, is, is that most of the British people who die in Thailand, they die from their own lack of responsibility ??

I would answer in detail but since a relative of the deceased is here, won't get drawn into it.

My condolences.

• Like 1

please continue:

LATEST:

Hunt for killers of British pair goes on after Thai police free Myanmar suspects
by Preeti JHA

BANGKOK, September 17, 2014 (AFP) - Thai police Tuesday ruled out three Myanmar workers in connection with the murder of two young British tourists, as Thailand's military ruler appeared to call into question the "behaviour" of the victims themselves.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761069-hunt-for-killers-of-british-pair-goes-on-after-thai-police-free-myanmar-suspects/

//CLOSED//

/Admin