Little boy works as Bangkok bus conductor (VIDEO)

webfact

Try and get a grip. The post is about a boy, doing some work with his dad, and thoroughly enjoying it looking at the video. Then out come the PC "know it all brigade" and try and link it through some twisted sophistry to Dickensian Victorian child labor exploitation and child rape abuse in the UK.

Try and post without making inflammatory comments which often reveal more about the writer than succeeding in their intended attempt.

Oh dear and here was me thinking Leicester folk had a sense of humour, nothing to do with PC that sounds like your idea of fun. I doubt very much if you have seen these kids being dragged about on these hot pollution filled open air buses in Bangkok, I have for years. True at least this one is not comatose or crying his eyes out like a lot of them. But what he is doing is illegal, clearly against company policy and is doubtful if this is really in his best interests. Do you think he is insured for example, think they would pay up if the bus braked and he was smashed into the front screen of the bus? I have seen that happen to conductors, one had to be carted off to Hospital. What next will people be saying so what about, kids of his age riding motor bikes? Yes we all know some on here were born doing it but that does not make it very sensible and this kids parents are not being either. But then it's a case of mai pen rai, or Semper Eadem if you prefer.

Edited by jacky54

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a job but had to wait for the legal age in my country. This kids father should be ashamed of himself, have seen this many times on buses, working on a bus is not exactly safe, but then at least he's not driving it!

In America there is no legal age for working your own children. At least when my kids were small. Dairy farm kids milk every morning and evening. My kids worked and so did I.

I had a job but had to wait for the legal age in my country. This kids father should be ashamed of himself, have seen this many times on buses, working on a bus is not exactly safe, but then at least he's not driving it!

In America there is no legal age for working your own children. At least when my kids were small. Dairy farm kids milk every morning and evening. My kids worked and so did I.

I assume there would exist a law against it if it involved a ten year old working on a public transport system?

child abuse in any civilised country that upholds child protection

Good chance to get in a little gratuitous Thai bashing. Evidently the conclusion is that Thailand is not “civilized” and no one cares about protecting children.

It would be nice if all children could get a good education and not have to jeopardize their futures with work in addition to school or instead of it, but how realistic is that. Certainly what he is doing is far better than what many children end up having to do to survive.

Most countries allow children to do agricultural work and even in the UK part-time employment is allowed at 13. I suppose having children of any age perform on TV and appear in advertisements to make money for their parents and agents is super-civilized.

The youngest age a child can work part-time is 13, except children involved in areas like:

· television

· theatre

· modelling

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/minimum-ages-children-can-work

And more generally in Europe things are getting pretty uncivilized.

Vulnerable people are always disproportionately affected in times of economic down-turn. The link between declining economic growth and increasing child labour is therefore no surprise. With the recession many European countries have drastically cut social aid. As unemployment soars, many families have found no other solution than sending their children to work.

http://www.coe.int/en/web/commissioner/-/child-labour-in-europe-a-persisting-challen-1

And in the US abuse is running rampant. So many uncivilized countries in the world ... and you can bet children are being exploited in the UK, Europe and the US despite these poorly enforced laws on the books.

The main law regulating child labor in the United States is the Fair Labor Standards Act. In general, for non-agricultural jobs, children under 12 may not be employed, children between 12 and 16 may be employed in allowed occupations during limited hours, and children between 16 and 18 may be employed for unlimited hours in non-hazardous occupations
Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Back in the 50's in Oz as an eight year old cub scout we did what you call 'Jobs for Bobs' to raise money. The jobs ranged from cutting wood to cleaning yards. At 10 years old it was a paper round, and at 12 years old delivering milk from 5am in the morning. You see there was no welfare back then, so when the old man got laid of from work all off his 5 sons pitched in. The only thing I find wrong with it is when the next generations had it stopped - the beginning of the downfall of a great country, run by lazy kids brought up on government handouts.

the old "bob a job", remember it very well.thumbsup.gif

child abuse in any civilised country that upholds child protection

What a load of crap. A long time ago when I was a boy nearly all of us used to get up to do a paper round before breakfast and then off to school. Maybe you were one of the lazy few.

• Like 1

Back in the 50's in Oz as an eight year old cub scout we did what you call 'Jobs for Bobs' to raise money. The jobs ranged from cutting wood to cleaning yards. At 10 years old it was a paper round, and at 12 years old delivering milk from 5am in the morning. You see there was no welfare back then, so when the old man got laid of from work all off his 5 sons pitched in. The only thing I find wrong with it is when the next generations had it stopped - the beginning of the downfall of a great country, run by lazy kids brought up on government handouts.

In the UK we had Bob a Job week.

From the look of it this was a one-day thing on a non-school day.

Is this concept of a school kid working on weekends or after school really that strange of a concept to so many people?

Child labor? Get off it! If the kid was put to work such that it deprived him an education and threatened his well-being it would be a different story.

A good lesson for the kid in learning the meaning of employment and the value of money. But I bet the kid could have thought of a lot better ways to spend his Saturday.

On the other hand there is a young girl who (used to?) sits on the sidewalk near Pinklao Mall in her school uniform playing the recorder (a flute kind of thing, I had to learn it in school too) for handouts. She looked miserable and couldn't really play the thing. I felt sorry for her.

In the UK we had Bob a Job week.

loved bob-a-job week great character building exercise and raising money for a good cause

For one, it's illegal under Thai law. It's clearly unlawful child labor. The boy should be in school. For those of you who want to romanticize about you jobs in your youth, I suggest that you look at your country's laws on permissible child labor. It's not cute at all.

Do try and take an adult perspective on this, rather than pander to the PC brigade who want to control every thought and action. An Indian commenting on child labor abuses is rich, btw,

The article said he was probably helping his dad after school. Probably sees this as a bit of an adventure. I always helped my dad during school holidays, and sometimes at weekends or after school. Not for any money, but because it was fun and I liked being with my dad at that age.

We can all speculate about the circumstances under which this boy was working. I don't think you have any special mental powers to make the determination whether this boy's welfare is being looked after any more than I do. What is clear is that the boy is in a public setting and doing work that is 'supposed' to be performed by someone old enough to be working as an employee of the bus company. The company is breaking the law and the driver is breaking the law. Maybe we should let him drive the bus? That would truly be an adventure for him and everyone on the bus!

If there was actually another conductor on the bus who was a relative and the boy was helping the conductor pass out tickets or make change, maybe I could put a different spin on it.

I suggest that you visit the ILO website and look at the publications on child labor. Its a huge problem. I think any attempt to trivialize it or make it 'cute' is repugnant to what should be the core values of a mature society. If I'm part of the PC brigade for saying that, so be it.

"Maybe I could put a different spin on it" - says it all really. Putting a spin on a simple story and turning it into a crusade about child labor!

There are massive issues with exploited labor - child labor, bonded labor, slave labor. Enforcement of laws is often lacking due to corruption, political indifference and the tacit acceptance of those who take advantage of the cheap goods and services it provides. Some of the examples that can easily be researched in the Indian sub-continent, South America, and Africa make horrendous reading. Exploitation for sexual activities and people trafficking are major social issues, as is the continued exploitation of women in many countries.

I have not trivialized that in any of my posts, so please don't put one of your "spins" on my comments. Do you understand what exploitation is? You interpret a boy working with his dad, and seemingly enjoying it - fine. Then why not make a difference. Why don't you pay his father so the son doesn't have to do this and can go off to school? You feel it's exploitation then stop it. Or go to the authorities and make a complaint.

There are many issues about this story that are sheer 'speculation' and nothing more. The legal term would be 'assuming facts not in evidence'. If you feel comfortable about judging this lad's lot in life based upon his apparent demeanor in a short span of time, there isn't much I can say to counter such an emotional response. On my first trip to Burma in 1999, I was in a small restaurant/tea shop in Nyaung Shwe, on the northern end of Inle Lake. There was a young boy bussing tables and he was smiling and talking with his work mates. I asked one of the waiters how old he was. He told me he was 11. I then asked why such a young boy was working in the restaurant. He told me that his parents sold him to the restaurant owner and that he would have to work at the restaurant until he was 18 to pay off the debt incurred for his purchase. If I were to make a judgement based on my observations of the boy's demeanor during the time I was in the restaurant, I could have easily reached the conclusion that he was 'happy' about his situation.

As for the boy on the bus, if I really thought that filing a complaint about this situation would be a meaningful way to address the problem of child labor, I would. Do you really think it's all that simple?

pookiki post # 100

There are many issues about this story that are sheer 'speculation' and nothing more. The legal term would be 'assuming facts not in evidence'. If you feel comfortable about judging this lad's lot in life based upon his apparent demeanor in a short span of time, there isn't much I can say to counter such an emotional response. On my first trip to Burma in 1999, I was in a small restaurant/tea shop in Nyaung Shwe, on the northern end of Inle Lake. There was a young boy bussing tables and he was smiling and talking with his work mates. I asked one of the waiters how old he was. He told me he was 11. I then asked why such a young boy was working in the restaurant. He told me that his parents sold him to the restaurant owner and that he would have to work at the restaurant until he was 18 to pay off the debt incurred for his purchase. If I were to make a judgement based on my observations of the boy's demeanor during the time I was in the restaurant, I could have easily reached the conclusion that he was 'happy' about his situation.

As for the boy on the bus, if I really thought that filing a complaint about this situation would be a meaningful way to address the problem of child labor, I would. Do you really think it's all that simple?

So with all due respect you huff and puff but because you feel any complaint would be frivolous you stand by and do nothing.It only takes one final action to start a process have you thought that if you had the courage of your convictions you might just be the catalyst to cause the matter to be investigated to discover the truth whatever that may be?

The expression ''paper tiger springs to mind.''

12-origami-tiger.jpg

Edited by siampolee

Try and get a grip. The post is about a boy, doing some work with his dad, and thoroughly enjoying it looking at the video. Then out come the PC "know it all brigade" and try and link it through some twisted sophistry to Dickensian Victorian child labor exploitation and child rape abuse in the UK.

Try and post without making inflammatory comments which often reveal more about the writer than succeeding in their intended attempt.

Oh dear and here was me thinking Leicester folk had a sense of humour, nothing to do with PC that sounds like your idea of fun. I doubt very much if you have seen these kids being dragged about on these hot pollution filled open air buses in Bangkok, I have for years. True at least this one is not comatose or crying his eyes out like a lot of them. But what he is doing is illegal, clearly against company policy and is doubtful if this is really in his best interests. Do you think he is insured for example, think they would pay up if the bus braked and he was smashed into the front screen of the bus? I have seen that happen to conductors, one had to be carted off to Hospital. What next will people be saying so what about, kids of his age riding motor bikes? Yes we all know some on here were born doing it but that does not make it very sensible and this kids parents are not being either. But then it's a case of mai pen rai, or Semper Eadem if you prefer.

Spare me! On any given day I can spend time talking to 5 or 10 kids that are tired, scared and lonely.

Not because daddy took him to work on that hot smelly bus, but because daddy is out peddling ice or drinking whiskey in some hole.

Can we not find something more constructive to do with our time than bicker about child labour laws that we all agree we need and like?

Go spend some time with some kids that need a clean safe place to hangout and see healthy, happy things happening.

Interesting that you find the subject of child rape in the UK amusing and a source of humor, given recent events in Rotherham. A little bit pathetic really, trying to bait another poster then claim it was all a joke, when if it was, well you must have a very unusual sense of humor.

I see children being transported to school very dangerously by their parents, and have done for years. I see irresponsible parents in Thailand and other countries where I've lived. I see that many are trying to do the best with what they have, It is hard to change habits borne out of necessity.

Why not let the Thais sort their problems out themselves. Most of the TV posters are applying their western values/standards.Go back to the 50s and I suspect most western countries were going through this same scenario. The difference now is that every Tom, Dick and Harry can put his opinions for everyone to see. And get a kick out of seeing his name in print.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Do try and take an adult perspective on this, rather than pander to the PC brigade who want to control every thought and action. An Indian commenting on child labor abuses is rich, btw,

The article said he was probably helping his dad after school. Probably sees this as a bit of an adventure. I always helped my dad during school holidays, and sometimes at weekends or after school. Not for any money, but because it was fun and I liked being with my dad at thaWe can all speculate about the circumstances under which this boy was working. I don't think you have any special mental powers to make the determination whether this boy's welfare is being looked after any more than I do. What is clear is that the boy is in a public setting and doing work that is 'supposed' to be performed by someone old enough to be working as an employee of the bus company. The company is breaking the law and the driver is breaking the law. Maybe we should let him drive the bus? That would truly be an adventure for him and everyone on the bus!

So you investigated the story you were told and can confirm the boy was sold into bonded labor, and that local authorities don't enforce that law? If you didn't establish the facts supporting what you were told the legal term would be "Hearsay".

It's also not unknown for stories to be made up and told for foreigners to garner sympathy and donations. If you made a judgement based on what a what one waiter told you, you may well have reached the wrong conclusions, based on your emotional reactions.

Are you suggesting that what goes on in Myammar must go on in Thailand?

Assuming the story you were told was true, do you really compare a boy being sold into bonded labor by his parents with that of a dad letting his lad work with him?

Laws are not all black and white and neither are situations. If you had experience of law enforcement you would understand that common sense in its application is paramount. Taking your son to work is hardly comparable with selling him into bonded labor.

No it's not simple. It has taken countries like UK, USA, Germany and France considerable time, effort and expense to arrive at their current labor laws. My own father started work at 13 as his dad died and there was no welfare state to look after his younger siblings. He and his mom had to. Those things have since changed. He had to educate himself as best he could, as did many more of his generation.

Laws don't get enforced just because they are the law. Law enforcement requires social acceptance of the law. Soliciting for prostitution is illegal in the UK, but many police forces are tolerant and permit advertising on the internet, in local papers, some allow red light districts to contain it, others enforce the law with little tolerance. I use this to illustrate that different approaches can be taken to enforcing the same law, not too comment on the rights and wrongs of prostitution.

If the boy's father is breaking company rules, and there is an element of danger if an accident, and the boy really should be in school, then a quite word would suffice once all the circumstances are known.

You suggest the law should be enforced because it's the law. So you have no problems with the visa crackdowns then? All those law breakers who fraudulently claimed they were tourists whilst working illegally, all those with Ed visas who never went to a real school or studied, all those who used the short stay visa exempt as a way to stay with their monthly boarder run instead of getting the appropriate visa - all should be prosecuted, fined, deported and banned as that's the law. You happy all the laws should rigidly be imposed, zero tolerance?

I see children being transported to school very dangerously by their parents, and have done for years. I see irresponsible parents in Thailand and other countries where I've lived. I see that many are trying to do the best with what they have, It is hard to change habits borne out of necessity.

You obviously think transporting kids around dangerously is irresponsible but that it's quite ok to let them work in a adults role on a dangerous public transport system. So you never have actually seen these kids on a non air bus then, thought not, but you know all about it from a vid on YT.

You suggest the law should be enforced because it's the law. So you have no problems with the visa crackdowns then? All those law breakers who fraudulently claimed they were tourists whilst working illegally, all those with Ed visas who never went to a real school or studied, all those who used the short stay visa exempt as a way to stay with their monthly boarder run instead of getting the appropriate visa - all should be prosecuted, fined, deported and banned as that's the law. You happy all the laws should rigidly be imposed, zero tolerance?

Of course the immigration rules should be rigorously enforced, we don't want Thailand to end up in the same mess the UK is in. I mean just look at Leicester with all it's ethnic ghettos and more Muslim kids than Christian in School, as well as a white minority in the City. That's what not enforcing the immigration law has ends creating, do you want that for Thailand, well the Thais don't. That's why they are not a soft touch for boat people and the like. If the UK had zero tolerance over the past 30 years it would be a far nicer place. Yes zero tolerance for immigration law breakers, deport them and blacklist them, no messing about!