Transfer of Ownership: Motorcycle

burnalot

Hey guys...

Friend bought a new motorcycle from Honda dealer in Chiang Mai.

Now he is forced to sell his motorbike, and I'm, buying it.

Do we need to go down to the dealer where he bought the motorbike and do the paperwork, or does this paperwork need to be done somewhere else?

I would like to get the bike in my name, and also have the Warranty (if there is any) transferred to my name.

a) I am here on a Student Visa,

B) I don;t have a Thai drivers license, just an International License from Canada, and DL from Canada

Anybody know what the process is?

MUCH appreciated as usual,

Bernie

You will need to go to the Dept. of Lands and Transport at Mae Hia on the Hang Dong road just past Big C on the left. Fill out the transfer papers. and pay the transfer costs. You will need copies of passports and licences. plus take the originals just to make sure, and of course the registration book. A fairly quick and painless procedure smile.png

You will need to go to the Dept. of Lands and Transport at Mae Hia on the Hang Dong road just past Big C on the left. Fill out the transfer papers. and pay the transfer costs. You will need copies of passports and licences. plus take the originals just to make sure, and of course the registration book. A fairly quick and painless procedure smile.png

Also you will need a Certificate of Residence from Immigration to prove your address in Thailand. One for the buyer and one for the seller. 500 baht each.

does the buyer and seller have to be present for the transfer to be completed?

also whats the situation when transferring ownership of a car?

They have to be present to get the CR. Inlace of a CR a work permit or a yellow house book may be used. Same requirements for transferring a car.

Edited by khwaibah

The buyer can go on their own to the DLT if they have a signed " nungsue moub umnart " หนังสือมอบอำนาจ form

exactly the same procedure for car or bike.

copy and paste again from my notes of documents required.

Thai seller

Signed copy of ID card front and back ( not expired )

Signed copy of house registration ( not allways required )

signed " nungsue moub umnart " หนังสือมอบอำนาจ ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )

signed "beb kum kor own le rup own " แบบคำขอโอนและรับโอน ขส.บ. ท. - 11

greeen/ blue book signed by current owner

Foreigner seller needs

certificate of residence from immigration ( should be free at immigration but varies from place to place )

For foreign seller, in stead of certificate of residence also workpermit or yellow housebook is accepted.

sometimes the police station will give you this document too.

copy passport photo page

copy of visa page and or extension ( not expired )

signed " nungsue moub umnart " หนังสือมอบอำนาจ ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )

signed "beb kum kor own le rup own " แบบคำขอโอนและรับโอน ขส.บ. ท. - 11

green/blue book signed by current owner

post-2109-0-80474100-1410859204_thumb.pn

post-2109-0-46074900-1410859215_thumb.pn

• Like 2

They have to be present to get the CR. Inlace of a CR a work permit or a yellow house book may be used. Same requirements for transferring a car.

is the requirement of the farang seller to have a Cert of Residence a recent thing?

I purchased a m/c from a farang in March and they changed it to my name with the two signed forms plus a copy of his passport and visa

I produced a CR in my name

is the requirement of the farang seller to have a Cert of Residence a recent thing?

I purchased a m/c from a farang in March and they changed it to my name with the two signed forms plus a copy of his passport and visa

You don't need one. Just sold a car yesterday and all that was needed was the signed transfer form and a copy of passport. You don't even have to attend in person. A painless procedure.

• Like 1

Think that should read just BEFORE Big C on the left, not just after. And Dept of Land Transport too, of course.

Think that should read just BEFORE Big C on the left, not just after. And Dept of Land Transport too, of course.

Silly me, of course it is. Will just past Tesco Lotus do? smile.png

• 1 month later...

You don't need one. Just sold a car yesterday and all that was needed was the signed transfer form and a copy of passport. You don't even have to attend in person. A painless procedure.

Sorry, quick question. If I'm trying to buy a bike, can I just provide my work permit in place of a certificate or residence? Also, they don't need copies of licenses, do they? I don't have a license yet.

"Sorry, quick question. If I'm trying to buy a bike, can I just provide my work permit in place of a certificate or residence? Also, they don't need copies of licenses, do they? I don't have a license yet."

A work permit is always accepted as proof of residence and no driver license is required.

"Sorry, quick question. If I'm trying to buy a bike, can I just provide my work permit in place of a certificate or residence? Also, they don't need copies of licenses, do they? I don't have a license yet."

A work permit is always accepted as proof of residence and no driver license is required.

Thank you! Do you possible know if I need to copy every page?

I normaly use the office near holiday inn for Tax renewal, there's s a test station right next door.

I recently tried to change ownership on a 10 yr old scooter, I had all the right paperwork, but they wanted to see the bike in the test bay thats part of the land transport office.

Does anyone know how rigorously they check the bike, specifically tires & brakes ?

I realise that sounds like a dumb question, but I intend to remove the engine to use in a different vehicle, I just want the green book to prove ownership.

I normaly use the office near holiday inn for Tax renewal, there's s a test station right next door.

I recently tried to change ownership on a 10 yr old scooter, I had all the right paperwork, but they wanted to see the bike in the test bay thats part of the land transport office.

Does anyone know how rigorously they check the bike, specifically tires & brakes ?

I realise that sounds like a dumb question, but I intend to remove the engine to use in a different vehicle, I just want the green book to prove ownership.

There is no "test" of the bike.

What the guy does, is he takes a piece of masking tape, puts it on the serial number of your bike, "traces" it with a pencil, and puts the piece of masking tape on a piece of paper.

ABOUT: OWNER and BUYER

BOTH people need to be present to sign documents.

Cost was something like $500, which myself as the buyer paid out of courtesy.

They give you a laminated tag with a number on it, and tell you to come back a day later at 1pm.

Go in, show tag, get the book.

Its that easy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have another problem, i bought a Honda Steed from a guy that was going back to the UK. I have a signed Greenbook,he lived in Pattyia and I lived in CM. I went to work in Indonesia so am no longer a resident in Thailand, and I didn't have time to register the bike, so while in Chiang Mai a few weeks ago I went to get it registered and they said , to bad your not a resident here anymore and we need a copy of the owners Visa and yours before we can reg. and license the Bike. So now what can I do?

Cost was something like $500

Baht?

Er motorbike.. Thats fr cars..

They need to go to the one near the holiday in on Lampang Rd.

There is no "test" of the bike.

What the guy does, is he takes a piece of masking tape, puts it on the serial number of your bike, "traces" it with a pencil, and puts the piece of masking tape on a piece of paper.

ABOUT: OWNER and BUYER

BOTH people need to be present to sign documents.

Cost was something like $500, which myself as the buyer paid out of courtesy.

They give you a laminated tag with a number on it, and tell you to come back a day later at 1pm.

Go in, show tag, get the book.

Its that easy.

On a new bike there is no test.. and while its spotily enforced I agree.. On a bike over (I think) 5 years old.. They should do a test.. Lights, indicators, emissions and noise.. Had it done to both one of my cars and bikes over the years..

Agreed most places just pay 100b and they just take the number in reality.

I have another problem, i bought a Honda Steed from a guy that was going back to the UK. I have a signed Greenbook,he lived in Pattyia and I lived in CM. I went to work in Indonesia so am no longer a resident in Thailand, and I didn't have time to register the bike, so while in Chiang Mai a few weeks ago I went to get it registered and they said , to bad your not a resident here anymore and we need a copy of the owners Visa and yours before we can reg. and license the Bike. So now what can I do?

If you cant get those things.. You have successfully trapped it into the old sellers name..

Not uncommon for those not paying attention but you just seriously screwed the resale.. Dont ever forget to leave it untaxed for a few years or the rego will lapse and you will not be able to renew it as your not the owner.

Of course sometimes a few 1000 paid t the right person fixes this.. But a lot hard these days than a few years ago.. The fast and loose LTO operation of a few years ago seems to have changed.