Thai police hunt killers of two Britons found beaten to death

webfact

I'm so sorry I could not get information from this site.

Kind regards to all, but I guess it's time to forget this as a viable place of any concern. We were told it could be a source, and yet it seems to be a circus.

Wendy.

Wendy, there are certainly some people on this site that are based in the Koh Tao area, have a look in the Koh Samui part of this forum. I am sure that they will be able to provide info that might be going around the locality. Sorry, not based in that area.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Police on Koh Tao like to find small offences that they can use to blackmail tourists for large amounts of cash, such as visa issues, small amounts of prohibited substances.

crazy.gif Sounds like police doing policing. So many here LOVE to complain about police not doing their jobs but then complain when they do. FYI, paying authorities for crimes you commit is not blackmail but rather called a fine.

Paying cash directly to the officers in order to avoid arrest is the definition of blackmail and is what jaidam is referring to. This is very, very common in Thailand, not just with tourists.

Not if there is an offense, it would only be blackmail if the offense was entirely fabricated. The police may well blackmail people but as he said "small offenses"..."such as visa issues, small amounts of prohibited substances", I feel we can assume that this was what he actually did mean to say, rather than the police making things up.

Incorrect.

black·mail
ˈblakˌmāl/
noun
  1. 1.
    the action, treated as a criminal offense, of demanding money from a person in return for not revealing compromising or injurious information about that person.

I dont believe the migrant worker story for a minute - I have to be honest in what i think - they were drunk having sex and Thai people didnt like it and killed them. I also think it should be considered that the third foreigner is dead. I know my country and dont hide any feelings for what the people i it are capable of!

Whats your country..?

Thailand, from their previous posts....

Police on Koh Tao like to find small offences that they can use to blackmail tourists for large amounts of cash, such as visa issues, small amounts of prohibited substances.

crazy.gif Sounds like police doing policing. So many here LOVE to complain about police not doing their jobs but then complain when they do. FYI, paying authorities for crimes you commit is not blackmail but rather called a fine.

Paying cash directly to the officers in order to avoid arrest is the definition of blackmail and is what jaidam is referring to. This is very, very common in Thailand, not just with tourists.

OMG. what a bunch of whiners. THEN GO TO COURT and asked to be arrested instead of taking the much easier and cheaper way out. It is not extortion, it is a choice you have many times and when I say many times I mean sometimes there is no option to pay a bribe or pay a fine on the street. Not to mention you can also ask for a receipt if paying a legitimate fine on the street. It is as much extortion as it is paying a fine anywhere else in the world when you do something wrong.

If only in my home country you could avoid expensive tickets, court fees, higher in insurance rates by paying $3 or $6 o the spot. And by the way POLICE ACCEPT FINES in Thailand, you have the choice to go to the station or court and post bail and all that but it is perfectly legal and acceptable to pay the fine to the police officer when caught doing something wrong.

No it's not. It may seem like no difference to you, and perhaps you don't care, but there is a big difference between the money going to the government (the people) and the money going to the individual officer, both legally and ethically.

OMG. what a bunch of whiners. THEN GO TO COURT and asked to be arrested instead of taking the much easier and cheaper way out. It is not extortion, it is a choice you have many times and when I say many times I mean sometimes there is no option to pay a bribe or pay a fine on the street. Not to mention you can also ask for a receipt if paying a legitimate fine on the street. It is as much extortion as it is paying a fine anywhere else in the world when you do something wrong.

If only in my home country you could avoid expensive tickets, court fees, higher in insurance rates by paying $3 or $6 o the spot. And by the way POLICE ACCEPT FINES in Thailand, you have the choice to go to the station or court and post bail and all that but it is perfectly legal and acceptable to pay the fine to the police officer when caught doing something wrong.

Another inaccuracy. At planned traffic check points they do often have a police box or even payment table set up, but that is not paying it directly to the officer, which is 100% not legal, and you will not be getting a receipt.

This is the picture of them that has been released, is it me or does this not look like them?.....This looks like a Westerner and a Thai....look at the difference in body sizes and the colour of her hair?

Completely agree with this, looks Asian and the guy looks to be wearing glasses with a beard

from sky news: http://news.sky.com/story/1336573/thai-murders-police-focus-on-migrant-workers

-quote:

Police Colonel Prachum Ruangthong said: "The man was chopped in the back and on the side of his head, while the woman was chopped in her face."

-unquote

no discretion on part of investigators as graphic death photos are already on the web. ive seen them and the man has big gashes to the back of the head and the womens face is heavily damaged and body looking posed with legs spread eagle as if raped

my apologies for graphic discription murder is not pretty

looks like possibly a sneak attack on the male from behind with the bloody hoe and then a brutal rape and frontal attack on the female.

rip to the victims

when Kevin Curley fell or jumped or was pushed from Nana hotel a few days ago no one blinks as a sex tourist in Bangkok dying is no big deal

but when innocent young brits get brutally and horifically murdered on a thai paradise island this is not a news story that will go away anytime soon

Im sorry to report I found more photos through a reddit thread. I shall refrain from sharing them except to say that I believe they are important to be viewed to get the impact of the enormity of this crime. The man's face and body were intack except for the vicisous wounds to the back of the head. This women was imo the target of the attack as she was utterly destroyed with this garden hoe. This crime was quick and brutal. Easily committed by one strong offender.

A terrible terrible crime. Why were these photos distributed by thai police? These are the most graphic and sexually and violently explicit photos ive ever seen of such a crime and to distribute photos of the women in all graphic horror seem to me further example of shaming the victim?

Where did this garden hoe come from? Who had access to it? yes i searched for these and viewed the pics. im sorry. and i believe to view them is to not make any stupid jokes and really get the impact of this terrible act of murder

Very disturbed by this news. so so terrible for the family

RIP and condolences.

Edited by johnmail

No it's not. It may seem like no difference to you, and perhaps you don't care, but there is a big difference between the money going to the government (the people) and the money going to the individual officer, both legally and ethically.

As I stated numerous times - police do legally collect fines on the street and can provide legal receipts. Not for serious crimes but for what are minor infractions (possession of drugs not being a minor infraction).

As for the guy moaning about having to pay a bribe for carrying drugs and/or being in the country illegally ... I believe they should have hauled him away and locked him up to deal with the courts simply because he is complaining that they didn't and instead allowed him an easier way out.

Personally I love Thailand for many reasons but when it comes to this topic, if I wanted to pay huge fines for minor infractions along with many of the other benefits of being in a less developed, less organized and police state, I would stay home. Obviously you are right and in a perfect world fines collected should go to the government but I have no issue whatsoever with helping out underpaid civil servants when it benefits me too. If you want to have Thailand be more like a first world country then you will pay the same prices as a first world country.

And it isn't blackmail when you offer to pay, it is a bribe .... obviously still an illegal act. And it certainly is neither a bribe nor blackmail if it is a legal fine collected by the police regardless if collected on the street, at the station or at a court.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

This is a crime of passion and jealousy. I hope they find the guy who reportedly fled to Bangkok.

I agree with you. Only from the photos does it look like neither one of them had a chance to react. He got hit in the back of the head (maybe they were having sex and he was hit from behind). It looks like he was hit more than once. So unless she was severely inebriated she should have had a chance to run away (unless just shocked). But he has no defensive wounds. Either does she! (from what I could see). It looks like someone or a group of people just went in straight for the kill.

God rest their souls.

Condolence to their friends and family. I'm so sorry for them.

First of all, I am truly saddened and shocked for the loss of two individuals at the beginning of their adult lives. RIP

Now to my point which has been made previously but worth repeating.

The key CCTV images which have been shown on media around the globe as can be seen on the BBC site here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29225672 are clearly not of David and Hannah. Not only are the profiles wrong, hair colour wrong and clothing wrong but the man seen in the CCTV clearly has a tattoo of some sort on his upper forearm, having seen the frankly gruesome images from the scene I can confirm that David has no tattoo at all.

It frankly beggers belief that the RTP can be so careless and inept as to authorise the release of these images. Thai police work at its finest.

Edited by brian272727

I can't post on your next reply as it has too many threads so I will reply here.

"not revealing compromising or injurious information" does not include the judge, the police threatening to actually book someone for a crime is not blackmail but doing their job free from corruption. The type of blackmail you are talking about would be the the police threatening to tell the press or the persons wife for example. Nice try though. LOL

please continue:

LATEST:

Hunt for killers of British pair goes on after Thai police free Myanmar suspects
by Preeti JHA

BANGKOK, September 17, 2014 (AFP) - Thai police Tuesday ruled out three Myanmar workers in connection with the murder of two young British tourists, as Thailand's military ruler appeared to call into question the "behaviour" of the victims themselves.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761069-hunt-for-killers-of-british-pair-goes-on-after-thai-police-free-myanmar-suspects/

//CLOSED//

/Admin