Urban living or Rural living, what's your choice?

villagefarang

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting; and thoughtful responses. I lived in Phuket for many years. I like water; then the traffic got dreadful, the market was concreted over, thousands more visitors. We moved to Bangkok! When, every morning, we had to clean the black oily dust off everything we moved to Chiang Mai. About 8 kilos out. Quite beautiful. Klongs and egrets and birdsong, beautiful flowers. But again I am a bit allergic to traffic and we, and the children, got bored with driving 80 kilos a day and dicing with death to get to school and back. We kept the house and moved to the banks of the Mekhong. Nearly perfect solution for us. Has the beautiful river and from a small wooden office we watch the Lao mountains rise from the dawn mist. Lot of greenery. Fresh water lakes to swim in. Has all the superstores, 5 minutes on a bike. Plane to BKK 1 hour. Never miss earlier lives in London, Paris, Phoenix, Bangkok; and shan't be going back!!

Where do you live Simon? Can you walk to the facilities - if so - sounds good to me!

I live about 1km from Phuket International Airport, (because my guesthouse businesses cater for airport travellers).

I built the first airport hotel there about 10 years ago by the main airport road, so it was just a few minutes to walk to all the local shops, plus the beach was 400 metre walk. But over the years the traffic and car noise got worse as new buildings and businesses were built. So I sold up and relocated back from that main road, right in the rubber tree plantations, where I built 2 more guesthouses, (the latest one is also my home).

Now I have to walk about 1km to shops and beach, but I value the peace and abundance of wildlife, (tree frogs, atlas moths, flying lizards...)

Hope the trees are under short final Simon

[/.quote]

I'm parallel to the runway, so no overhead planes or noise... :)

BTW, in that photo of my garden, you can just see the base of my 57 feet tall amateur radio antenna, atop which is the receiving equipment for ADS aircraft traffic data from the airport and surrounding region that is supplied to the flightradar24 website.

Sounds good Laolover - I've always really liked Chiang Mai and the surrounding beautiful countryside. However, one big problem seems to be the pollution starting around Jan/ Feb and lasting through to March/ April, depending on where I get the information from! A friend went there in March last year and said it was dreadful.

Opinions please, thanks

I live in an 85 m2 condo in the suburbs of Kotomo. I have a great view, a swimmingpool en tenniscourt at the 4th floor. My appartment is the only who is occupied, so very quite. Great security, all possible shopping amenities in the neighbourhood, Tesco, Villa Market, big C, big C Extra, Foodland, Central, more than 250 restaurants, from very basic till realy High End. Near the big roads to go North, South, East or west And only 30 minutes from Silom.

I find no snakes or other strange animals in my kitchen or bathroom, evem mosquitos don't know my adress 555.

And all of thar for only 13 495 Baht a month, including security, maintenance and wate. Why should I move to some banook village.

no ones asking you to move to a banook village,,,,,,

Seeing others have posted pictures, here is one of our rice paddy bungalow which I have previously posted in the Finished House Pictures Topic. Country living means different things to different people.

sunset%2520%2520003.jpg

OK...ok...ok !!....Your pool is bigger than mine....lol

I have lived in cities in the past, London for a year & Melbourne for 5 years, but I grew up in rural Essex in the UK, & gravitated toward a rural setting in Australia. Moving away from the city was ‘burning bridges’ with the knowledge that we would never be able to afford to move back to the city, but we were certain it was what we wanted. I imagine for many thecertainty may be less, & the sense of risk higher.

For 20 years I lived a country lifestyle in a fairly remote spot, producing much of our own food & more, going into town only when needed, often only once or twice a month. Loved it. Over that 20 years I often felt I had made few connections & was astounded by the number of folk in the area who wanted to pay their respects to me when we sold up & moved away earlier this year. I left with a great deal of sorrow having realised just how much a part of the community I had become, even though town was 30 kilometres away & only 10 other houses within a 15 kilometre radius. The reality is that when we lived in the cities, we were only connected to a handful of others. Also with so much available to us, virtually on our doorstep we really didn’t make much use of it. We rarely ate out, went to the theatre or cinema. Our idea of going out for enjoyment was to leave the city boundaries behind. We would pack up the car with camping gear as often as possible. Walking amongst the freshness of the forests & the ‘realness’ of the wildlife gave me a connection to the earth & a clearer & more grounded sense of self, that no amount of spending money in the city could ever compete with.

I have a few friends who are city folk through & through however, folk who’s lives revolve around ‘what’s on’ & meeting up for coffees. They love it & would never dream of leaving. When they visit us they recognise the country is different, & enjoy the difference in much the same way that folk enjoy cute pictures on chocolate boxes, but they don’t see the quail nesting in the grass, the mushrooms ready for picking, or know how to read the weather. They have little or no interest in things which are central to our way of life, the weather means no more to them than whether they need to take an umbrella with them. They notice the quietness, but find it a little unsettling. Bottom line is that we are all different. Wherever you live there are always deeper & deeper levels to understand & appreciate. Those who criticise or generalise about the ‘other’ reveal only something of themselves. Horses & courses.

I have no doubt that if we end up settling full time in Thailand that it will be in a country setting, but we will have to start off in town somewhere. For me population density will be as big an issue to adapt to as the difference in culture I language I think. Moving to a big city would be unthinkable.

Edited by Cuppa

Yeah but your younger than me....with mine i know for sure i can get to the other end before the heart gives out....at my age.

Could you do it when you were my age?

YEP !....if you are around 20yrs old...lol. Swam five miles in open sea once when a trawler sank.....(18yrs old though)

C'mon Simon. you live in Phuket. It may be quiet where you live (together with the hotels?) , but it's hardly the rural lifestyle that the OP was referring to.

And with that comment, you join the (thousands?) of other ThaiVisa members who have no idea that Phuket is more than just Patong... :)

Right now (8pm), I'm sitting on my verandah, watching my garden fountains and being deafened by the tree frogs and other night-time wildlife. The only lights I can see are those in my garden.

Yes, it is not rural Issan. But it could be if you didn't know that it was Phuket.

City lad born and bred NEEDS urban HUSTLE & BUSTLE. .

Loads of cheap, accessible public transport literally in front of the building;

Need a taxi at 3am? (I often did when the nightlife went on until 6am thumbsup.gif ) No problem, step out of the building and hold out your hand. BTS/MRT 100m walk; motorbike taxi rank 20m;

3 gyms, 2 cinema complexes, 3 Western-grade supermarkets, 2 of Bangkok's best shopping malls, 3 7-11s, 2 Family Marts within 100m and literally hundreds of bars, restaurants and clubs all within a stone's throw

Fantastic

City lad born and bred NEEDS urban HUSTLE & BUSTLE. .

Loads of cheap, accessible public transport literally in front of the building;

Need a taxi at 3am? (I often did when the nightlife went on until 6am thumbsup.gif ) No problem, step out of the building and hold out your hand. BTS/MRT 100m walk; motorbike taxi rank 20m;

3 gyms, 2 cinema complexes, 3 Western-grade supermarkets, 2 of Bangkok's best shopping malls, 3 7-11s, 2 Family Marts within 100m and literally hundreds of bars, restaurants and clubs all within a stone's throw

Fantastic

Granted, but I guess you are a young fella still?...Love to hear your comments in about 20yrs from now....been there done that, how do you think all those places and amenities came into being? Us old fellas and the old ones before us started it....

Times change and so will your outlook later in life....betya!

So go enjoy the things important to you now...thumbsup.gif

cities and their invented entertainments are weak replacements for the pleasures of spending ones life in nature

I respect other peoples needs or opinions but never liked city's myself and I like your quote, I certainly feel it's true to a point and I have to agree certainly now in my retirement I do not wish to be among or near the concrete jungle.