Loved and hated, former PM Thaksin is erased from textbook

webfact

Loved and Hated, Former Premier of Thailand Is Erased From Textbook
By THOMAS FULLER

BANGKOK — His legacy is inseparable from the past decade of political tumult in Thailand, but high school students will not find the name Thaksin Shinawatra in the history textbooks that the country’s military junta recently ordered schools to use.

Mr. Thaksin’s name was scrubbed from the book by the Ministry of Education, said the textbook’s author, Thanom Anarmwat.

“The officials at the ministry just deleted it, cut it,” he said.

Mr. Thaksin (pronounced TAHK-sin) elicits love or hate in Thailand and not much in between.

To members of the Bangkok establishment who supported the May military coup, which ousted an elected government backed by Mr. Thaksin, he is seen as venal, corrupt and, perhaps most of all, a threat to their power.

To his supporters, Mr. Thaksin was the first politician in Thailand to focus on the needs of voters outside Bangkok and gain their allegiance by delivering universal health care, microloans and more efficient government services.

Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/16/world/asia/loved-and-hated-thaksin-shinawatra-former-premier-of-thailand-is-erased-from-textbook.html

-- The New York Times 2014-09-16

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i loved this:

Schoolchildren will be trained to act as ambassadors of patriotic spirit, Mr. Winai said. He gave the hypothetical example of students reprimanding adults who fail to stand at attention during the national anthem, which is played on radio stations and on public broadcast systems at 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. daily.

“The students might go and ask, ‘Why aren’t you standing straight when the national anthem is played?’ ” he said.

The junta has issued a list of 12 values for the country, including gratitude toward parents, discipline, morality and the maintaining of “physical and mental strength against greed.” Large banners bearing the list are being posted at schools nationwide.

I like this part:

"Without mentioning either sibling, the textbook does touch on the opposition to Mr. Thaksin’s rule. A subheading describes the protests that preceded his ouster as “the people’s movement against dictatorial power, corruption and embezzlement.”"

So the glorious people's movement removed a dictatorial government and replaced it with, um....

But the important thing is that people will now live happily ever after, provided they keep their mouths shut, and don't work in the tourist industry, and aren't caught up in a morality crusade, and aren't interested in an elected government.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

I like this part:

"Without mentioning either sibling, the textbook does touch on the opposition to Mr. Thaksin’s rule. A subheading describes the protests that preceded his ouster as “the people’s movement against dictatorial power, corruption and embezzlement.”"

So the glorious people's movement removed a dictatorial government and replaced it with, um....

But the important thing is that people will now live happily ever after, provided they keep their mouths shut, and don't work in the tourist industry, and aren't caught up in a morality crusade, and aren't interested in an elected government.

um...........something better.

• Like 1

My perception remains that Thailand was indeed really headed towards civil war. Multiple objective western media news sources reported the same thing. I guess it's probably too early for a final history of that period to be written. It seems it won't be written in THAILAND though!

• Like 2

i loved this:

Schoolchildren will be trained to act as ambassadors of patriotic spirit, Mr. Winai said. He gave the hypothetical example of students reprimanding adults who fail to stand at attention during the national anthem, which is played on radio stations and on public broadcast systems at 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. daily.

The students might go and ask, Why arent you standing straight when the national anthem is played? he said.

The junta has issued a list of 12 values for the country, including gratitude toward parents, discipline, morality and the maintaining of physical and mental strength against greed. Large banners bearing the list are being posted at schools nationwide.

Now what were those children in Germany called?

If you're suggesting that there is a fascist character to military rules anywhere ... that is not news.

History re-written by the victors - as ever -- the Romans and English were masters of that art in their heyday wink.png

There is truth to this.

Writing history is never easy. But some facts - the name of a prime minister, his election results, pro populist policies including healthcare, his convictions in courts of law, arrest warrants, all seem like a lot to erase. That it is done (presumably) before the next school year starts would be a remarkably fast erasure. I guess it is in line with the day and age we live in.

My perception remains that Thailand was indeed really headed towards civil war.

A collection of fascists, several of whom now run the junta conspired to overthrow a democratically elected government. Since the army was intimately involved in this conspiracy (according to Suthep, they had been planning together for several years), the entire situation was in fact cooked up by the people you seem to think rescued Thailand's bacon. So I'm sorry to break the news but the army did not save Thailand from civil war--they precipitated an extremely dangerous situation and we are a very, very, very long way from escaping from it. There was a 4 year gap between the last coup and massacre so don't count your chickens just yet because I'm quite certain that the army are going to be crushing an awful lot of those eggs in the coming years.

You are reading way too much into my position that I never stated. So please stop that game.

Yes I do believe Thailand really was heading towards civil war and so did much of the world's media.

Whether the solution taken was best one in those circumstances or whether the potential civil war has just been put off for another day is another matter which I DID NOT and WILL NOT comment on in this current political environment.

Edited by Jingthing

Thin end of a very big wedge. Erase anything embarrassing.

Next - there were no Blue Diamonds stolen nor were any diplomats murdered.

Strange how these ridiculous ideas seem to sprout whenever someone has absolute power and there is no credible opposition to say that the Emperor hath no clothes.

• Like 2

This is a continuation of a power struggle that has been running since before the Second World War, i.e. to gain control of the Ministry of Education to gain control of the school syllabus.

If you read up on Thai history, the school syllabus, strictly dictated by the Ministry of Education here, has been a tool for the 2 traditional antagonistic forces in Thailand (Military/Royalist/Senior Civil Service vs Parliamentary/Political Parties/Rural Power Base) to push their agendas.

So with the change of power you see a dramatic change in school syllabus. This change to history books was just one in a series. There was a previous announcement stating a ramping up of patriotism. It is all part of a power shift.

• Like 2