British ex-pats in Pattaya/Chonburi. Tax.

emilymat

Hope the mods allow this.

I am a British pensioner living in the Pattaya area. I have been asked to sign a 'e' petition regarding a UK Treasury consultation document which appears to recommend that the income tax personal allowance for UK pensioners living abroad should be abolished.

I have not yet signed as I thought I would try and research it, but have come up with a blank so far.

I have to say that such a proposal would force me to finally leave, as I would not be quite able to meet the financial requirements for income. It would cost me near 2000 pounds per annum.

With frozen pensions, the devaluation of the pound over the last 5 years and the increased prices in Thailand it would simply be the final straw.!

Anyone else seen this petition?. I find it difficult to believe the Treasury can be so vindictive, but I suppose that is naïve.

Apologies to non UK readers of this post.

• Like 1

Hi

If you read the consultation document, there is a possibility that they will " target" the ability or otherwise to offset your personal allowances, based on total income, where derived from and what is your pension as a percentage of overall income.

My gut feel is that pensions if from the state are a significant proportion of your income (as in your case ) allowances will still be allowed to be used.

But talking to people in the uk it's not deemed to be on the radar as some other pending tax reforms .e.g pensions, so us non residents are a soft target.

The capital gains adjustment I can see as having some merit, but to tax pensioners with little or no other income seems punitive that is why I am optimistic that allowances will be allowed to be " targeted".

Cheers

Simple really, the government's desperately short of money and they will take it wherever there is least risk of it causing them damage at the next election. There's over 4 million Brits living abroad but only some 25,000 have bothered to register as overseas voters (I'm one of them). So they can screw Brits living abroad as hard as they like and there will be no nasty electoral consequences for them. Expect it to happen.

This is not Pattaya specific also there is a very long pinned topic all about UK Pensions at the top of the General forum.

I do feel this important topic would be better served being part of that so I will close this, please can you repost on the Pensions Pinned topic there, thank you.