Help..can I Survive

sin_bkk

Hello all together ,

I posted here before with some questions related to housing / tax and so on.

I am still living in Sinagpore , but I will move to BKK by end of the year...if I really move. After intensive research , I am not sure anymore that I can survive on the package offered by my company . 300.000 bath/month plus car is a good deal in Singapore, but with 37% tax in thailand , it is not as much anymore. Renting a house for me and my family cost me around 100.000 I guess ( after browsing 100000 websites ) , school for my doughter is around 400.000/year . Adding health insurance and other small things, there will be nothing left .

I just want to check with some of you who are in BKK with a family, are my calculations right ( that means , I will not take this job) or am I making a big mistake somewhere ?????

Hello all together ,

I am still living in Sinagpore , but I will move to BKK by end of the year...if I really move. After intensive research , I am not sure anymore that I can survive on the package offered by my company . 300.000 bath/month plus car is a good deal in Singapore, but with 37% tax in thailand , it is not as much anymore. Renting a house for me and my family cost me around 100.000 I guess ( after browsing 100000 websites ) , school for my doughter is around 400.000/year . Adding health insurance and other small things, there will be nothing left .

I just want to check with some of you who are in BKK with a family, are my calculations right ( that means , I will not take this job) or am I making a big mistake somewhere ?????

R U serious?

Unless you bathe in Cristal Champagne you'll be very rich here!

Tell you what sing_bkk

Give me your job pay-packet and I will give you a report letting you know if you can survive on the pittance you are being offered. It should only take me 6 or 12 months to come up with a definite conclusion.

If you are worried about the cut in the lifestyle leave the wife and kid in Sinapore, just send them an allowance of 150K every month and try to survive on the rest. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Renting a house for me and my family cost me around 100.000 I guess ( after browsing 100000 websites ) , school for my doughter is around 400.000/year .

100,000 THB/month for a house? What sort of accommodation and in what area, if I may ask?

You don't have to worry about the 37% neither, that percentage applays only to that part of your income that's above 4 m a year...

According to the Revenue Department website, 3.6 m a year falls into the next one - 30% tax.

Having said that, the deal is actually damm good.

If you want Thailand to be a way "out" of your current situation you will be more than ok on the money front. People on their way "out" are much less critical.

If you think it will be a way "up" (from the position you are coming from) i would reconsider especially with the amount of money you said.

You should be very critical especially if you already are in a good position.

I think with all fixed expenses (house,education,car etc.) paid you will have around 50.000 to 100.000 baht to spend.

If you want some luxury (if you're used to that) it is just as or sometimes even more expensive than the west.

International quality education, the ones that will be of worth to your daughter when she decides to live in a developed country are not cheap. 400.000 is probably per semester. Also if you don't want to live in an old building or appartment or in a badly maintained area your estimate of a nice HOUSE in bangkok is not too far of what you found, at least if you don't want to live more than an hour or so from work. Appartments will be cheaper. If you rent unfurnished you should be able to get something cheaper. It all depends on how long you want to stay here.

Still with 300.000 a month you should be able to live here comfortably.

The few expats i know all have everything included in an 'expat' package. That package contains at least full 1st class insurance for the family, tickets for visiting family at least 1 time a year, fees for international school, housing and a car. That in combination with a salary of at least 200.000. One of them even has what he calls with humor a 'hardship' package. He doesn't want to be here put took the oppertunity to make a load of money. In a few years he will be out of here. All of them are in higher management positions.

It might be a good idea to see if you can get an 'expat' package.

Hello all together ,

The answer is YES, you can have a very good life in Thailand with 300k/month. My question is (sorry for being rude): Why the he1l would you give up Singapore for Bangkok as long as you have a wife and a daughter? I would kill to live in Singapore with a 300k/month. Think about your daughter, Singapore has far more better schools than Bangkok does. Bangkok can never be compared with Singapore, Singapore has good people, smarter people, more educated people, good services, more options for almost everything you need, less polution, etc...Think twice, I would change Bkk for Sin anytime if I had the chance.

Hello all together ,

The answer is YES, you can have a very good life in Thailand with 300k/month. My question is (sorry for being rude): Why the he1l would you give up Singapore for Bangkok as long as you have a wife and a daughter? I would kill to live in Singapore with a 300k/month. Think about your daughter, Singapore has far more better schools than Bangkok does. Bangkok can never be compared with Singapore, Singapore has good people, smarter people, more educated people, good services, more options for almost everything you need, less polution, etc...Think twice, I would change Bkk for Sin anytime if I had the chance.

Plus Singapore is such a fun and exciting place!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Edited by thaiknot

Hello all together ,

Don't come to Bangkok, it's full and you can't afford it.

Hello all together ,

Hope my estimation is'nt wrong as I reckon I can live well on 40-60000 per month(phuket)That doesnt include rent as have own home. :o

This guy is taking the p***. He's earning that much money and he doesn't know that the higher tax bracket only applies on a certain part of his income. I thought that was the same in most countries, certainly is in the UK. Either that or he has more money than sense.

The OP hasn't checked in after posting his OP ... shal we assume that after the usuall culprits have pusted their usuall very considerate replies, the issue the OP had on his mind, has sort of been solved ... or shall we just continue this as the usual exchange between the "professionals" (in their own dreams) - who very quickly can make jokes of any question any newbee might make ...

"I only earn $20,000 a month so is it possible I can survive in the countryside north of Chiang Mai?"

Living on $7500 a month in any city in the world may be possible but in expensive cities like NYC,London,etc.,rent for a 2-3 bedroom apartment could come close to eating up almost half of that.There are really nice buildings in Honolulu asking $4-6000 a month for a 2 bedroom.

Throw in the costs of a good private school,a car and insurance and gas,a wife who loves shopping,etc., and one wouldn't have much left over at the end of the month to save for a rainy day or a retirement.

The OP hasn't checked in after posting his OP ... shal we assume that after the usuall culprits have pusted their usuall very considerate replies, the issue the OP had on his mind, has sort of been solved .. .or shall we just continue this as the usual exchange between the "professionals" (in their own dreams) - who very quickly can make jokes of any question any newbee might make ... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:o

If you are working for a company that is offering a placement in Bangkok then there will not be a financial problem for you re general comparative living costs, but take care re education costs for your kids. Singapore public secondary schools have a good reputation. You will need to go private in LOS. Thailand universities OK.

Hello all together ,

QFT

Hello and thank you very much for the usefull answers so far ( and , thank you for the funny answers as well ) . First of all,I want os say , I would like to stay in singapore , but my company is relocating. I like my job, so , I will stay with the company if possible.

100.000 for a house is realistic I think .Or, 8 out of 10 real estate websites in bangkok telling me bullshit . Browsing around , I saw many places even going for 200.000 to 300.000 , I saw hardly anything below 80.000 .

For the tax,yes , I understand the system , 30% for up to 3 million and so on...however, you still have to pay 1.000.000 in taxes a year, and this is far more than in singapore. And , from my understanding , benefis like a car for example , are taxed as well.

Lets do the math again . 300.000 / month minus tax 100.0000, minus rent , around 100.000, minus school fees 40.000 . There is not much left to live . School fees where about the same in singapore , what is really killing me here are the taxes ( you only pay a fraction of this in sinapore ) .

I will keep you updated , and , who know , I might see you in Bangkok .

Again, many thanks for the usefull answers

I found this websites for houses to rent in Minburi ( near to the school ) , and , not many houses below 100.000 as you can see. Maybe some of you who are making jokes about paying 100.000 rent could give me the adress of a better websites

I found this websites for houses to rent in Minburi ( near to the school ) , and , not many houses below 100.000 as you can see. Maybe some of you who are making jokes about paying 100.000 rent could give me the adress of a better websites

I think the problem you will find is that the websites only advertise a fraction of what is available to rent and these also tend to be at the high end too.

For instance my boss rents (hes' english not thai btw) a 170m2 apartment near to Ploenchit BTS station for 35000 a month. He only found it by walking around the area he wanted to live in, not on any websites.

For me I'm not to fussy where I live and my previous rented house was at Ram Inthra Kilo 8. You need a car to commute to central bkk from there, but my rent was 13000 per month in a village with security and a pool. Although it was unfurnished. The bigger and better houses in the same village are rented between 20-30000 per month, but there are not many expats there so might not be much fun for the kids and wife. Depends on what your looking for I suppose. The big boss lives on Suk Soi 22 with his family, he pays 150000 a month for a 300m2 condo with its own private swimming pool.

I forgot to add that you can normally negotiate a good discount on the advertised rate.....for instance the big boss got a 30k month discount on his place. I managed on my last place a 4000 discount.

Edited by moonoi

Websites are a total bu1shit, you'll have to come here and see for yourself. Just get a taxi or...why not...a real estate agent and explore the area. I am sure you can find something extraordinary conveniable for less than 60k.

Minburi is about 20 - 30 Km outside of BKK proper. Renting a nice house is quite possible there. In addition, quite a few of the newer international schools a located in that general area, so getting your child to school shouln't be to much of a problem.

As others have pointed out, the prices on the English language websites will be somewhat higher than prices on a Thai language website. When you do get serious about looking for a house, you really should get someone who can read Thai and knows the area to help you find a house to rent.

One thing that you haven't mentioned is a car. Public transportation in Minburi is just busses and an occasional taxi. You really will need a car, and cars are surprisingly expensive in Thailand.

Thanks for your advise. Yes, I know that I need a car in this area, I hope that I can get a company car , that would help me alot. I checked the car prices in thailand on expat-motors website. Yes, cars are not cheap in thailand , but by far not as expensive as in singapore ;-)

There is a website here who offers property guides, people who are not agents , but who know the market and serach a house for you . You pay them a fixed price per hour/day . Does anyone has experience with this folks ?

P.S. I asked some totally normal questions here , questions everyone would ask when you about to move to a new country . I lived in 5 different countries on 3 different continents in the last 15 years and everytime I moved to a new place , I got lots of good information from expat boards like this , information about tax , visas, work permits , places to stay, to eat , to buy a car , to get a drink and so on . Everytime I moved , I worked for a stratup , there was no one there to ask , not a soule I know in the new country and no one to help me . I managed this well , and expat boards like this are the bigest help for people like me , so, again thank you very much to all of you .

I will be in BKK next month to sort things out with the BOI and then I will ge a cap and have a look around .

Also , everytime I got idiots , telling my "why I ask so stupid questions" , or "stay where you are" and all this bullshit. What is wrong with you guys ? Do you have too many agressions ( then go for a run or play with your girlfriend instead of sitting in fornt of your computer) or are you just stupid ?