Australia launches anti-terror raids

webfact

Don't recall the mandatory NSW curriculum having jihad in it, BTW.

You really think these Islamic schools are following the NSW curriculum? Reality attack needed here!

All schools in Australia providing Islamic religious education must also provide education based upon the curriculum for the State/Territory in which they are located. The annual academic test results for all ages, based upon government test papers, are published in the public domain, as do all schools. Do a search and you will find sometimes the results exceed those of the national average.

They should be doing this but are they? If the UK is anything to go by then not and if you are letting them out of the blame then where is the fault? Mosques or could it even be the Koran and example of the prophet?

Don't know about the UK, but in Oz, if a school failed to comply, they would be shut down.

• Like 2

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All schools in Australia providing Islamic religious education must also provide education based upon the curriculum for the State/Territory in which they are located.

Ah, and therein lies the rub.

"Also"!!

So these kids besides learning the national curriculum are being taught what exactly? To hate infidels?

All schools in Australia providing Islamic religious education must also provide education based upon the curriculum for the State/Territory in which they are located.

"Also"!!

So these kids besides learning the national curriculum are being taught what exactly? To hate infidels?

So you've been to and sat through classes then?

I mean it is an incredibly ignorant remark, given than more people have died falling off ladders in Australia since 1970 than have from terrorism.

As for having Islamic schools? Why would I care?

There is one western style democracy where 25% of their citizens are Muslims and things there work out pretty fine. You know where that county is? I'll let you guess.

I have been accused here of hating you Samran, I don't even know you. I don't think agreeing to disagree is a 'hate crime'. I would just like to separate what exactly you are crying out 'foul' over. 99% of Islam supports a democratic ideal

http://www.worlddialogue.org/content.php?id=293

And what? What does that say? That religion and state are not in sync? Or that the democratic ideal suits the current state of jihad?

Although I know you must think that if it comes from a white non-muslim it must be BS, but have a look anyway, just for fun.

What is being discussed in this thread is Islamists, not Islam (they are different), specifically Jihad Terrorism in Australia. If you want to stand up and make a statement due to the chip on your shoulder, you are going to be criticized. Being an Aussie, you will be aware of our 'tall poppy syndrome', this is all it is, a smoothing over of tensions that happened with most ethic minorities when they first grew in noticeable numbers in Australia. Italians, Greeks, Vietnamese et al. It is the response from these communities that varies, it is the response from these communities that causes worry to the Australian way of life (which I might add, no one here nor politically has clearly defined). If you choose to stand up, be prepared to be cut down, that is one negative side effect of multiculturalism, a practice Australians not only support, but defend with their lives.

Oz

Edited by ozsamurai

"Also"!!

So you've been to and sat through classes then?

No I haven't. Hence the question marks.
I mean it is an incredibly ignorant remark, given than more people have died falling off ladders in Australia since 1970 than have from terrorism.
Not ignorance, just awareness of potential dangers as I'm more concerned about future attacks
As for having Islamic schools? Why would I care?
See above!
There is one western style democracy where 25% of their citizens are Muslims and things there work out pretty fine. You know where that county is? I'll let you guess.
-_- Edited by H1w4yR1da

On the schools, no one seemed to have a problem with catholic schools in the days the IRA were running rampant? Or was that different?

It was very different. Large numbers of Catholic schools, all over the world, were not preaching jihad. blink.png

No just priests from the pulpit on Sunday against the imperial British.

You also forget about the IRA fundraisers going about Boston, NYC and a few other places. Wasn't it George Mitchell, the US senator, who was a supporter of this terror organisation?

Plenty of historical evidence of the sectarian divide being exploited and promoted in the colonies.

What does any of that that have to do with the Catholic schools that you were condemning and what do "the colonies" have to do with anything? Teachers in Catholic schools don't instruct innocent youths to go out and kill Protestants like many Saudi-financed madrassas do when they encourage fighting Christians and recruit or participate in terror acts.

Edited by Ulysses G.

On the schools, no one seemed to have a problem with catholic schools in the days the IRA were running rampant? Or was that different?

It was very different. Large numbers of Catholic schools, all over the world, were not preaching jihad. blink.png
No just priests from the pulpit on Sunday against the imperial British.

You also forget about the IRA fundraisers going about Boston, NYC and a few other places. Wasn't it George Mitchell, the US senator, who was a supporter of this terror organisation?

Plenty of historical evidence of the sectarian divide being exploited and promoted in the colonies.

What does any of that that have to do with the Catholic schools that you were condemning and what do "the colonies" have to do with anything? Teachers in Catholic schools don't instruct innocent youths to go out and kill Protestants like many Saudi-financed madrassas do when they encourage fighting Christians and recruit or participate in terror acts.

Thanks for making my point. The catholic schools don't and neither do the Islamic schools in suburban Australia.

To compare these schools which are regulated by state governments and partly funded through the public purse to madrases in the deepest darkest Pakistan is ludicrous, and I thought, even a bit beyond you.

You really think these Islamic schools are following the NSW curriculum? Reality attack needed here!

What evidence do you have that they are not? Schools in Australia follow the policies and curricula of the state and territory departments of education. This includes multiculturalism which has been a policy for many decades. Multiculturalism means simply respecting diversity and engaging positively with different cultures. The curriculum in place for Aboriginal Schools reflects the needs of those students as well as the objectives of centrally set curricula. As do Catholic and other religious schools.

If you are going to make gross generalisations and attempt to slur Australian institutions, it might be useful to have some evidence of this. You really think islamic schools in Australia are breeding grounds for the Jihadists that you are so afraid of? Your fear and hysteria is feeding off your ignorance and preventing you from listening to what others are saying.

• Like 1

What evidence do you have that they are not? Schools in Australia follow the policies and curricula of the state and territory departments of education. This includes multiculturalism which has been a policy for many decades. Multiculturalism means simply respecting diversity and engaging positively with different cultures. The curriculum in place for Aboriginal Schools reflects the needs of those students as well as the objectives of centrally set curricula. As do Catholic and other religious schools.

If you are going to make gross generalisations and attempt to slur Australian institutions, it might be useful to have some evidence of this. You really think islamic schools in Australia are breeding grounds for the Jihadists that you are so afraid of? Your fear and hysteria is feeding off your ignorance and preventing you from listening to what others are saying.

No evidence yet but judging from the madrasses in the M.E. and even the jihadist takeover of schools in the UK city of Birmingham, there is good reason to be concerned.

BTW, the only hysteria here is in your OTT replies

On the schools, no one seemed to have a problem with catholic schools in the days the IRA were running rampant? Or was that different? But the reason, it is a free country. Clearly you don't think that is worth preserving.

Samran

Your attempt at justifying the current islamic problem as being similar to the IRA, is quite frankly, way below the belt.

IMO, whether you like it or not. Aus, the UK and various others opened the doors to Muslims to allow them to have a better way of life, after all, thats why they come to those shores, is it not ?

Unfortunately, that is not what happened, rather than accept the hospitality that was afforded them, they slowly began taking over. I dont think I need to labour the point about areas, street names etc.

Now, for some strange reason, that same hospitality is not extended by Muslim Countries. I will say only this. What happened to the Coptic Christians in Iraq ?

Believe what you like, that is up to you. Do not expect everyone else to have that same belief.

You are an assimilationist then? Those immigrants to Australia having gone through the legal processes and have legal standing as either a resident or naturalised citizen have every right in my view to expect their government to meet their needs and enable them to achieve the life that they strive for. So if that person is a muslim, then I don't think it out of order from them to have a place to practice their religion. They may even want to eat the food on which they grew up and continue speaking their mother tongue. The government may have to resource public services to recognise that. I don't see this as unreasonable.

Assimilationists want everyone to merge into a homogeneous entity. Looking at this positively, there is merit in the idea of shared vision and directions. But this is not what the militia bigots who are so loud on this thread want. They want assimilation into a white, patriarchal, judeo-christian, capitalist, classist society or in other words Australia in the 1950's when these grumpy old has beens grew up.

We have muslims in Australia. We must respect that and respect them. Mass deportation is not an option. There are descendants of the Afghans from the 19thC whose camel trains helped open up the hostile interior and build the railway lines and old telegraph links who probably pre-date the ancestors of the loudest white's only shouters here.

Australia has a current issue with criminal activity associated with events in Syria and Iraq. There is a whole library of books that can be written about the context of this, but the solution has already been shown to us and that is good policing. Multiculturalism has made Australia strong and will provide a way for Australians to respect each other and deal with problems like this. The noise from the old white men will disappear when they pass on and take their bigotry with them.

• Like 2

Dunno, am I going to have to worry walking down the street of my own country being bashed up, spat on and abused when I head back to OZ for Christmas cause you blokes have commenced your own jihad?

Fink you have "lost the plot" chummy..............facepalm.gif

Why would you speak to one of the few Thai posters here like that? Do you not know the experience that some Asian people and other minorities have in Australia as a result of hysterical bigotry? Entirely in order in my view.

No evidence yet but judging from the madrasses in the M.E. and even the jihadist takeover of schools in the UK city of Birmingham, there is good reason to be concerned.

BTW, the only hysteria here is in your OTT replies

Again, you have zero evidence or foundation to say that the Madrassa model has any relevance to Australia. You are hysterical and irrational. You have been told by other people about the governance of the education system in Australia but you still push this line of ignorance generated by hatred over actual reality. If you continue your crusade you will create exactly what you fear.

Perhaps I can try again. Madrassa's are an educational model in many countries that serve the needs of the poor. They are like church run schools in the UK, US and Australia before the government took over the provision of general and basic education in the mid to late 19th Century responding to the needs to develop skills to serve the industrialisation of these societies. That some people have been shown to have recruited Jihadists from Madrassa's do not mean that a Madrassa is the equivalent of a terrorist training camp. What is your solution? You would close down all Madrassa's? You would deny a basic education to maybe millions of impoverished children and deny them an opportunity for a better life? Why be scared of a Madrassa? It is irrational to me for you to be scared of a concept. Scared people are weak. Weak people do not help solve problems. They just exacerbate them.

• Like 1

On the schools, no one seemed to have a problem with catholic schools in the days the IRA were running rampant? Or was that different? But the reason, it is a free country. Clearly you don't think that is worth preserving.

Samran

Your attempt at justifying the current islamic problem as being similar to the IRA, is quite frankly, way below the belt.

IMO, whether you like it or not. Aus, the UK and various others opened the doors to Muslims to allow them to have a better way of life, after all, thats why they come to those shores, is it not ?

Unfortunately, that is not what happened, rather than accept the hospitality that was afforded them, they slowly began taking over. I dont think I need to labour the point about areas, street names etc.

Now, for some strange reason, that same hospitality is not extended by Muslim Countries. I will say only this. What happened to the Coptic Christians in Iraq ?

Believe what you like, that is up to you. Do not expect everyone else to have that same belief.

You are an assimilationist then? Those immigrants to Australia having gone through the legal processes and have legal standing as either a resident or naturalised citizen have every right in my view to expect their government to meet their needs and enable them to achieve the life that they strive for. So if that person is a muslim, then I don't think it out of order from them to have a place to practice their religion. They may even want to eat the food on which they grew up and continue speaking their mother tongue. The government may have to resource public services to recognise that. I don't see this as unreasonable.

Assimilationists want everyone to merge into a homogeneous entity. Looking at this positively, there is merit in the idea of shared vision and directions. But this is not what the militia bigots who are so loud on this thread want. They want assimilation into a white, patriarchal, judeo-christian, capitalist, classist society or in other words Australia in the 1950's when these grumpy old has beens grew up.

We have muslims in Australia. We must respect that and respect them. Mass deportation is not an option. There are descendants of the Afghans from the 19thC whose camel trains helped open up the hostile interior and build the railway lines and old telegraph links who probably pre-date the ancestors of the loudest white's only shouters here.

Australia has a current issue with criminal activity associated with events in Syria and Iraq. There is a whole library of books that can be written about the context of this, but the solution has already been shown to us and that is good policing. Multiculturalism has made Australia strong and will provide a way for Australians to respect each other and deal with problems like this. The noise from the old white men will disappear when they pass on and take their bigotry with them.

Nice lecture. Although I didnt ask for one.

Maybe you can answer the question on the Iraqi Coptic Christians, since Samran totally ignored the question.

And while you carry out your explanation. Feel free to give me me your interpretation of the RESPECT that was shown to said people.

The good thing is now all these potential murdering people are now being sent to Cambodia . Great no more of this coming into Australia now sent to Cambodia where they will definitely have a better life they are fleeing from.

The good thing is now all these potential murdering people are now being sent to Cambodia . Great no more of this coming into Australia now sent to Cambodia where they will definitely have a better life they are fleeing from.

heard that. The Muslims should be happy to live there as thier quality of life from the desert has I proved 1,000% and Australia will be safer

Maybe you can answer the question on the Iraqi Coptic Christians, since Samran totally ignored the question.

And while you carry out your explanation. Feel free to give me me your interpretation of the RESPECT that was shown to said people.

Your post raised the issue of how we kindly western countries 'allowed' muslims to come in and they are not being grateful to us. I interpreted this as an assimilationist argument and I have an option on this issue so I posted. I did not realise I had to get your permission first. I am new to engaging in forum discussions so please forgive me.

You ask me about Coptic Christians in Iraq. I don't know why. I am not a Coptic Christian or an Iraqi or a scholar of either. However, I do have an option on this, so I will try and respond to your goad. I was born and raised as an Australian in a country that is a representative democracy governed by the rule of law with respect for multicultural diversity. Iraq is not this. I do not understand the rationale of an argument that says because Iraq ethnically cleansed or religiously cleansed a group, then this gives licenses for us to demand Australia do the same. Do we therefore wish Australia to become Iraq? I said in another post on this thread that people's fear will result in the creation of what they fear the most. A case in point if we follow the logic of your position.

It is called the moral high ground. We (Westerners/Australians) can congratulate ourselves on our ability to engage on issues with respect and conduct ourselves under agreed rules (of course we are quite wealthy so we can afford this type of activity since we don't have to spend every day worrying about subsistence). I have a problem when I read frantic, hysterical postings here or see the same on other media which call for the extermination of an entire sub-group (some have called for their extinction, not just deportation). I was brought up to believe that we are a mature culture and we are better than that. You really advocate quid pro quo on this and give license to an abomination? There is probably an argument in Logic that applies to this situation. I can't recall my logic lessons from University on this but there must be a phase that applies (the word hypocrisy comes to mind). I will research this for next time.

I will go and read up on Coptic Christians in Iraq. I knew an Egyptian once who was Coptic Christian but we never engaged in religious discussions. I also remember reading a few years ago about the last 2 Jews in Baghdad. I think this was still in Saddam's time. They were brothers who hated each other and refused to talk to each other for decades. Historically there was quite a large Jewish population in Iraq (medieval times I think) so you can add them to the ethnically cleansed of Iraq.

• Like 2

Dunno, am I going to have to worry walking down the street of my own country being bashed up, spat on and abused when I head back to OZ for Christmas cause you blokes have commenced your own jihad?

Why would you speak to one of the few Thai posters here like that? Do you not know the experience that some Asian people and other minorities have in Australia as a result of hysterical bigotry? Entirely in order in my view.

If you are referring to Samran then he is not Thai, but has applied for Thai nationality, I think he is still awaiting his passport. Last I heard it costs quite a lot of tea money to actually get one.

If you are referring to Samran then he is not Thai, but has applied for Thai nationality, I think he is still awaiting his passport. Last I heard it costs quite a lot of tea money to actually get one.

Born with Thai nationality jacky boy. I'm on about my 6th Thai passport.

Wife has applied for Thai citizenship. She is at the final stage. We haven't paid a cent above the official 5000 baht fee.

Last you heard was wrong.

Rubbish. Only those who volunteer will be transferred to Cambodia. Oz government is paying an upfront 'fee' of $40 million to the Cambodian government, plus pay for resettlement. So far Cambodia have said they will permit around four refugees as an experiment to see how the program rolls out, with an eventual maximum of around 1,000.

heard that. The Muslims should be happy to live there as thier quality of life from the desert has I proved 1,000% and Australia will be safer

Surely you & Chooka think Muslim refugees pose a threat to Cambodian national security. Accordingly why do you believe it's OK for Muslims held in offshore detention camps, by Oz govt, to be transfered to Cambodia?

Surely you & Chooka think Muslim refugees pose a threat to Cambodian national security. Accordingly why do you believe it's OK for Muslims held in offshore detention camps, by Oz govt, to be transfered to Cambodia?

If Cambodia want them they can have them, it reduces the risks to Australia and Australians. Muslims terrify me and people should feel safe in Australia.

If Cambodia want them they can have them, it reduces the risks to Australia and Australians. Muslims terrify me and people should feel safe in Australia.

Those currently being held in offshore detention camps would never be permitted entry to Australian territory, so your argument is pointless

Edited by simple1

Your post raised the issue of how we kindly western countries 'allowed' muslims to come in and they are not being grateful to us. I interpreted this as an assimilationist argument and I have an option on this issue so I posted. I did not realise I had to get your permission first. I am new to engaging in forum discussions so please forgive me.

You ask me about Coptic Christians in Iraq. I don't know why. I am not a Coptic Christian or an Iraqi or a scholar of either. However, I do have an option on this, so I will try and respond to your goad. I was born and raised as an Australian in a country that is a representative democracy governed by the rule of law with respect for multicultural diversity. Iraq is not this. I do not understand the rationale of an argument that says because Iraq ethnically cleansed or religiously cleansed a group, then this gives licenses for us to demand Australia do the same. Do we therefore wish Australia to become Iraq? I said in another post on this thread that people's fear will result in the creation of what they fear the most. A case in point if we follow the logic of your position.

It is called the moral high ground. We (Westerners/Australians) can congratulate ourselves on our ability to engage on issues with respect and conduct ourselves under agreed rules (of course we are quite wealthy so we can afford this type of activity since we don't have to spend every day worrying about subsistence). I have a problem when I read frantic, hysterical postings here or see the same on other media which call for the extermination of an entire sub-group (some have called for their extinction, not just deportation). I was brought up to believe that we are a mature culture and we are better than that. You really advocate quid pro quo on this and give license to an abomination? There is probably an argument in Logic that applies to this situation. I can't recall my logic lessons from University on this but there must be a phase that applies (the word hypocrisy comes to mind). I will research this for next time.

I will go and read up on Coptic Christians in Iraq. I knew an Egyptian once who was Coptic Christian but we never engaged in religious discussions. I also remember reading a few years ago about the last 2 Jews in Baghdad. I think this was still in Saddam's time. They were brothers who hated each other and refused to talk to each other for decades. Historically there was quite a large Jewish population in Iraq (medieval times I think) so you can add them to the ethnically cleansed of Iraq.

I will help you out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Baghdad_church_attack

I had the misfortune to attend the immediate aftermath.

This was 2010, not medieval times.

As I do not know about Australia, perhaps you can enlighten me. Have the Muslim community integrated into the Aussie way of life ? Or is it the same as the UK, where they have turned entire areas into Muslim regions ?

You were brought up to believe ? So were a lot of people, the people who advised against were castigated from all directions. Well well well, look how well that turned out.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, everyone is. You are also entitled to take the moral high ground, I hope that works out for you when you are in an orange boiler suit.

• Like 2

I will help you out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Baghdad_church_attack

I had the misfortune to attend the immediate aftermath.

This was 2010, not medieval times.

As I do not know about Australia, perhaps you can enlighten me. Have the Muslim community integrated into the Aussie way of life ? Or is it the same as the UK, where they have turned entire areas into Muslim regions ?

You were brought up to believe ? So were a lot of people, the people who advised against were castigated from all directions. Well well well, look how well that turned out.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, everyone is. You are also entitled to take the moral high ground, I hope that works out for you when you are in an orange boiler suit.

You don't seem to know much about Australia.

Australia is a country of migrants, we do it better than most, and for the most part, do it well.

Australia is a country of migrants, we do it better than most, and for the most part, do it well.

Samran

Please do not make assumptions on what I do or do not know.

Strange is it not, that when I directed a question to you, you did not answer. And when I directed something at Tep you answered.

Of course, I know a few Australians, funny that none of them share your views.

Samran

Please do not make assumptions on what I do or do not know.

Strange is it not, that when I directed a question to you, you did not answer. And when I directed something at Tep you answered.

Of course, I know a few Australians, funny that none of them share your views.

Let me guess, they are all old and white?

As for your link. As far as I knew there aren't to many coptics outside of Egypt at least in the ME. What you showed me was an attack on a Catholic Church.

What do you want me to say? It's awful. And we should be bombing these bastards back to the Stone Age.

Do you really think id day otherwise? It's just that I don't lump all people into one one group.

I certainly don't buy into the hysteria that you blokes do. You are running around like little pansies whipping up divisions. And as I've said before, that is exactly the knew jerk reaction that Isis wants. They want your hateful comments to get out there, making you blokes their most effective recruitment tool.

Edited by samran

Have the Muslim community integrated into the Aussie way of life ? Or is it the same as the UK, where they have turned entire areas into Muslim regions ?

Yeah! I would like to hear what the board's Muslims have to day about that.

But it'll just be the usual spin and deflection about having to respect their culture.