Australia launches anti-terror raids

webfact

I said radicalisation "within the Muslim prison population" as one of the factors. For some reason this was known to prison authorities, but they failed to act. At least two ex Australian Muslim criminal prisoners who were radicalised during their time in prison are now killing in Syria.

Maybe the relevant authorities failed to act was because, like the Rotherham council and police, they were worried about being labeled as a bigot or racist by liberal apologists.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would put it to you that a more constructive position would be to ask how the Australian way of life will benefit and evolve from the participation of muslim immigration. I look forward to seeing their contribution to our culture.
Let me take a guess.

Honour killings, arranged marriages, Halal butchery, face coverings for females, grooming gangs, sharia patrols, school takeovers by extremists, numerous mosques preaching jihad, no-go areas for whites etc. etc.

We have all that in the UK. You really want to join the club,

I even see quite a few old white guys eating hummus now. Who would have thought?
And I've been eating kebabs for years. So I'm guessing the only positive influence Muslims have on the indigenous culture is some decent food?

You're a Brit? Well that explains it.

There is more to multiculturalism than food culture. Multiculturalism is part of Australia. Come down under and experience it so you can then try to understand it. We strive to rid ourselves of the cultural cringe bequeathed to us by the Colonial Brits and the classist, elitist and racist world view.

You equate honor killings with halal butchery? You know Jewish people have the concept of Kosher. Is this a signal for us to fear them? All I would like to see is a sense of proportion from the hysterics out there like you. How can you have conversation about honour killings when it is all jumbled up in a universal hate all Muslims diatribe. Face coverings, role of mosques, no-go areas (according to you) all all issues that may be more complex and multifaceted than you think. But try to develop a rationale response to one of these issues and you hit people with the full force of your fear. I don't know what halal butchery is. I know I have eaten halal food. I doubt any virgins were sacrificed to make it. I also doubt its taste was any different to food prepared in other ways. You think some Sharia court is going to take away your pork sausages? You really equate this with the atrocities in Syria at the moment?

A facile response to serious problems, many of which are based on attitudes entrenched in children through their religious education, and far different to those of the society that they are supposedly enriching.

So Bashar Houli is going to gun down his team mates now, because he is devout Muslim? Get real.

On the question have Muslims integrated into Australian society, obviously some have not.

Gainful employment would be a crucial component for integration. Last week I read an article that 60% of Muslim migrants have a higher level of education than the norm for Australians; makes sense as there is a points system for a visa, that includes relevant skills for gaining employment in sectors that experience high demand for skilled applicants. On the downside skilled Muslim migrants have twice the national average for unemployment rates, that it is alleged is often due to discrimination by employers. A few days ago I watched an interview with an Afghan who orginally entered Australia as an 'illegal' via sea. This illegal', is now known as one of the most respected surgeons in his speciality in Australia; he did comment on the negative attitudes he sometimes experiences in daily life.

The current problems seem to be created primarily by the second generation of Muslim Australians, even those that come from successfully integrated migrant families. Why this is so appears to be mainly caused by radicalisation encouraged by unqualified self appointed 'clerics' who operate within the Muslim prison population, seek out lonely or angry younger people. The angry person scenario appears to be the case with the guy shot by police in Melbourne.

In some areas there is 'ghettoisation' that is not particularly surprising, as it did occur during previous foreign migrant waves e.g. Vietnamese who faced significant social barriers.

The 2nd generation Greeks and italians I went to school with in the 70s were pretty wild by the standards of the day. I think the stresses of biculturalism is a factor and some may lack coping mechanisms. You identify discrimination as a factor. Discrimination is not always overt. The subtle sort is the worst. You probably have to listen to the voices of the bi-cultural experience. I suspect that clues to radicalisation can be found there.
Right right! So young Australian Muslims are becoming radicalised because of discrimination?

Nothing to do with Islam or the koran?

Of course not!

And enough of the 'bigot' insults. They just make you look silly and dilute any argument you may have.

Play the ball, not the player.

A bit thin skinned aren't we? Prepared to dish it out in spades, but can take it.

Do tell. You are all for integration. I suspect you are typing this from Thailand. So do you speak read and write Thai to a native proficiency and adhere to Buddhist norms?

You are good a badgering for answers. Now it is your turn.

Okay fine. The question is totally irrelevant and just another example of deflection when difficult issues are raised.

But I think that question should be directed at westerners who have become Thai citizens.

I present no danger to the Thais and have no intention of trying to impose my culture on them, unlike many muslims living in the UK or Oz.

Also, I wonder how many muslims living in Oz are on yearly renewable non - imm 1 year visas and reporting every 90 days?

Poor attempt!

And you and your pro-Islam brothers on here are the only ones dishing or the insults.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

On the question have Muslims integrated into Australian society, obviously some have not.

Gainful employment would be a crucial component for integration. Last week I read an article that 60% of Muslim migrants have a higher level of education than the norm for Australians; makes sense as there is a points system for a visa, that includes relevant skills for gaining employment in sectors that experience high demand for skilled applicants. On the downside skilled Muslim migrants have twice the national average for unemployment rates, that it is alleged is often due to discrimination by employers. A few days ago I watched an interview with an Afghan who orginally entered Australia as an 'illegal' via sea. This illegal', is now known as one of the most respected surgeons in his speciality in Australia; he did comment on the negative attitudes he sometimes experiences in daily life.

The current problems seem to be created primarily by the second generation of Muslim Australians, even those that come from successfully integrated migrant families. Why this is so appears to be mainly caused by radicalisation encouraged by unqualified self appointed 'clerics' who operate within the Muslim prison population, seek out lonely or angry younger people. The angry person scenario appears to be the case with the guy shot by police in Melbourne.

In some areas there is 'ghettoisation' that is not particularly surprising, as it did occur during previous foreign migrant waves e.g. Vietnamese who faced significant social barriers.

The 2nd generation Greeks and italians I went to school with in the 70s were pretty wild by the standards of the day. I think the stresses of biculturalism is a factor and some may lack coping mechanisms. You identify discrimination as a factor. Discrimination is not always overt. The subtle sort is the worst. You probably have to listen to the voices of the bi-cultural experience. I suspect that clues to radicalisation can be found there.
Right right! So young Australian Muslims are becoming radicalised because of discrimination?

Nothing to do with Islam or the koran?

Of course not!

And enough of the 'bigot' insults. They just make you look silly and dilute any argument you may have.

Play the ball, not the player.

A bit thin skinned aren't we? Prepared to dish it out in spades, but can take it.

Do tell. You are all for integration. I suspect you are typing this from Thailand. So do you speak read and write Thai to a native proficiency and adhere to Buddhist norms?

You are good a badgering for answers. Now it is your turn.

Okay fine. The question is totally irrelevant and just another example of deflection when difficult issues are raised.

But I think that question should be directed at westerners who have become Thai citizens.

I present no danger to the Thais and have no intention of trying to impose my culture on them, unlike many muslims living in the UK or Oz.

Also, I wonder how many muslims living in Oz are on yearly renewable non - imm 1 year visas and reporting every 90 days?

Poor attempt!

And you and your pro-Islam brothers on here are the only ones dishing or the insults.

So if a Muslim moved to Australian on a non permanent 457 visa he or she would be justified in doing sweet FA integration, just like you? In the UK, don't bother going for ILR, and that makes it okay to?

Glad to take your word that you are no danger. But what is good for the goose is clearly not good for the gander? How do we know you aren't a rock spider from the west? Come on, I'm a Thai citizen, I should be assured of that right, given there has been plenty of precedence of British rock-spiders here?

As for being 'pro Islam', I am not advocating anything. Just anti <deleted>. But that you categorise me like that clearly shows you are so blind with hate and rage you can't see the forest for the trees...

But if you want to know my views on military action etc against the Middle East, why don't you ask our mutual mate UG and neversure on my position on Bushes and Blair's venture into Iraq and Afghanistan. I think you might be surprised. It's all on record of you care to search.

Edited by samran

A facile response to serious problems, many of which are based on attitudes entrenched in children through their religious education, and far different to those of the society that they are supposedly enriching.

So Bashar Houli is going to gun down his team mates now, because he is devout Muslim? Get real.

I think that you may have replied to the wrong post, not that I suggested anything of the sort. But I do remember an NRL player named El Masri refusing a DNA test to clear up a sexual assault because 'a muslim wouldn't do such a thing' when there is ample evidence to the contrary.

I think that you may have replied to the wrong post, not that I suggested anything of the sort. But I do remember an NRL player named El Masri refusing a DNA test to clear up a sexual assault because 'a muslim wouldn't do such a thing' when there is ample evidence to the contrary.

And anyone who hides behind religion is an idiot. I've never thought otherwise.

• Like 2

You're a Brit? Well that explains it.

There is more to multiculturalism than food culture. Multiculturalism is part of Australia. Come down under and experience it so you can then try to understand it. We strive to rid ourselves of the cultural cringe bequeathed to us by the Colonial Brits and the classist, elitist and racist world view.

You equate honor killings with halal butchery? You know Jewish people have the concept of Kosher. Is this a signal for us to fear them? All I would like to see is a sense of proportion from the hysterics out there like you. How can you have conversation about honour killings when it is all jumbled up in a universal hate all Muslims diatribe. Face coverings, role of mosques, no-go areas (according to you) all all issues that may be more complex and multifaceted than you think. But try to develop a rationale response to one of these issues and you hit people with the full force of your fear. I don't know what halal butchery is. I know I have eaten halal food. I doubt any virgins were sacrificed to make it. I also doubt its taste was any different to food prepared in other ways. You think some Sharia court is going to take away your pork sausages? You really equate this with the atrocities in Syria at the moment?

If you are directing your comment to me, then I would like to point out that I have not made any argument about the issue of jihadism in Australia, either its causes or solutions except to say that I am comfortable that good policing is an appropriate response to criminal activity.

What I have taken issue with is the ignorant comments of a handful of people who take individual incidents and smear and entire sub group. This fear and hysteria not only does not solve the problem but will create more problems as the subjects of this hate campaign will react.

If my flippancy in asking if the poster is comparing honour killings with halal butchery was part of a post discussing the issue of jihadism in Australia, then you would be correct to label it facile.

I may not have enough information to make informed comments about the causes and management and resolution of the problems caused by Jihadism in Australia. I can discuss some aspects of religious education. I also think another poster's identification of colonialism and its aftermath is a contributing factor. I also believe Australia's historically racist past and some of its currently very active racist sub cultures exacerbate the problems. I would actually like to read others' thoughts on this but they are all drowned out by the screaming little girls who want us to fear their bogey men.

It has taken quite a few hours pushing back on the hysterical mob. That time could be spent in exploring real issues. One of my family is a Brisbane detective. He could be dealing at the sharp end of this issue at any time. We are all horrified at the atrocities in Syria and Iraq but I know that the solutions to that will be multilateral military and political activity. There are only very limited and scant links to Jihadism in Australia. But we are not allowed to explore any of this. We are badgered by foolish, ill-informed hyperbole and exhaled to kill them all (or deport them all).

I wait in abject anticipation for the opportunity to go beyond the superficial on these issues if only some other posters would do likewise.

• Like 2

These sick Muslim animals in Australia are now using their children to preach hatred.

Sydney boy, 9, praises mujahideen and martyrs' sacrifice for Allah

A nine-year-old boy has delivered a sermon in which he praised the sacrifice of "martyrs" and "mujahideen" fighting across the Middle East in a video shared by his father on Facebook.
Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/09/27/13/39/sydney-boy-praises-mujahideen-and-martyrs-sacrifice-for-allah#8zyXEHd3jlZ1J2R3.99

So if a Muslim moved to Australian on a non permanent 457 visa he or she would be justified in doing sweet FA integration, just like you?

You don't know me. I work and pay taxes. Unlike many immigrants in the UK. Living on benefits while plotting against the country.

And a permanent visa is hardly the same as a one year visa, is it?

Glad to take your word that you are no danger. But what is good for the goose is clearly not good for the gander? How do we know you aren't a rock spider from the west? Come on, I'm a Thai citizen, I should be assured of that right, given there has been plenty of precedence of British rock-spiders here?

You've never heard of the police check I take it?

You're Thai? Born in Thailand? Or a wannabe foreigner who applied for Thai citizenship? Either way, I don't have to explain myself to someone who's accepted such a corrupt culture and one that has no desire for diversity or multiculturalism.

Touchy touchy now aren't we? Or are you just contemptuous of everyone who questions your 'logic'.

So if it such a corrupt culture why do you live here? You bring up your police check to justify your presence here, and then turn around and criticise the same system from which you derive your legitimacy. So which is it, I believe the police report, or because it comes via a corrupt organisation it isn't worth the paper it is written on and it is safe to assume you are a rockspider? I mean you make broad generalisations, why can't I?

And you justify your own piss weak attempts at fitting in based on your visa status? Talk about pathetic.

Again, the irony and hypocrisy of the anti foreigner foreigners. High expectations for everyone else, but nothing but miserable excuses when the same standards are applied to them.

I still don't understand your comment about working and paying taxes.. So of a Muslim works and pays taxes, then they are okay to follow their religion. But if they don't, they aren't? And what visa status should they be on?

So you demand answers from others, but are all of a sudden too good to answer when others question you? What was this about playing the ball not the man. Talk about thin skinned.

Edited by samran

These sick Muslim animals in Australia are now using their children to preach hatred.

A nine-year-old boy has delivered a sermon in which he praised the sacrifice of "martyrs" and "mujahideen" fighting across the Middle East in a video shared by his father on Facebook.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/09/27/13/39/sydney-boy-praises-mujahideen-and-martyrs-sacrifice-for-allah#8zyXEHd3jlZ1J2R3.99

All religions rely on the indoctrination of children who by evolutionary selection are inclined to believe what they are told by their elders (as in "don't play with the crocodile, stay away from the edge of the cliff). If religious instruction was banned until a child was old enough to reason, very few would accept the unprovable dogma, huge contradictions and patent lies.

"Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man".

All religions rely on the indoctrination of children who by evolutionary selection are inclined to believe what they are told by their elders (as in "don't play with the crocodile, stay away from the edge of the cliff). If religious instruction was banned until a child was old enough to reason, very few would accept the unprovable dogma, huge contradictions and patent lies.

It might just be better to teach them to love they neighbour then and to turn the other cheek than to teach them other religions are pigs and monkeys and that unbelievers are the worst of people who should be killed

OMG!!!!

From the article:

HORRIFIC details have emerged of a plot to behead an Australian and upload it to social media in a deliberate attack against the country.

While the claims remain unconfirmed, Channel Seven reports one the men charged in this morning’s raids in Sydney planned to kidnap a random Australian, execute them by beheading in a public place, possibly Martin Place in Sydney’s CBD, and film the act and post on social media.

Further reports have emerged terrorists planned to drape the victim in an Islamic State flag.

What is truly going on here, use intelligence and sound police work to arrest the bad guys of course. Sent planes and troops to the ME to deal with these savages, for sure.

Apart from the practical needs to deal with the threats from these misguided people it's the disturbing propaganda from our governments that concerns me.

A plot to kidnap and behead an innocent person in Sydney, yes they have sown they are capable of such brutality in the ME.

Is the report of this threat based on facts or is it something else?

How about 'Realism' as in seeing a soldier beheaded in England and just in the last 24-36 hours in America... Australia is being prudent ... Radical Islamic inspired beheadings in Western Countries and then consider the ISIS very publicized beheadings ... Citizens are outraged and are contracting their elected representatives and demanding that they be kept safe.. It could have something to do with the voters - just maybe .... politicians like to keep their jobs after all ...

If you believe that then you are truly naive, watch the doco, the full version and get back to me. Either way, I do not agree with EITHER of them, so get off your high horse. The comment and video was directed at the latest 'sensationalist' offering is all. Keep a cool head while others around you lose theirs, this is how you win the long battle.

Oz

• Like 2

And how many here were bought up on fire and brimstone Christianity? Plenty I bet. And then guess what, they grow up.

And how many here were bought up on fire and brimstone Christianity? Plenty I bet. And then guess what, they grow up.

. . . to become suicide bombers.

Edited by MJP

I'm no fan but that's what the press is looking for at the moment, 9yo brainwashed stories. Blown out of proportion. The christian right doing exactly the same thing in the US for years with a darker political agenda as well.

Please stop this foolish false equivalence jive. Nobody is buying it. The Christian right is not teaching children that people of other religions are pigs and monkeys that should have their heads chopped off.

The Christian Right as innocents? Did you see what happened a few weeks ago in Philadelphia? http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/surrender-philadelphia-gay-beating-case-25721453

So not Muslim related but all these bashers went to the same Christian School. To be fair, one of the bashers who was an assistant coach at the same school was sacked by the ArchDiocese. Is there evidence that the school was responsible efor their anti-gay views and by inference, the bashing incident. No but many have used similar innuendo to make these references against Muslim teachings.

On the same theme we have a person who is spear-heading the criminalisation of gays in parts of Africa. http://www.rightwingwatch.org/category/people/scott-lively How should gay people, a long persecuted minority take this as anything but a religiously inspired pogrom against them.

False equivalence. I think not. There are many reports that some Islamists preach violence. This is wrong and needs to be dealt with. But don't try and tell us that the other side has not used and is not using similar tactics for their hate agenda whether it be gays, non christians or other minorities.

So if a Muslim moved to Australian on a non permanent 457 visa he or she would be justified in doing sweet FA integration, just like you?

You don't know me. I work and pay taxes. Unlike many immigrants in the UK. Living on benefits while plotting against the country.

You're Thai? Born in Thailand? Or a wannabe foreigner who applied for Thai citizenship? Either way, I don't have to explain myself to someone who's accepted such a corrupt culture and one that has no desire for diversity or multiculturalism.

Touchy touchy now aren't we? Or are you just contemptuous of everyone who questions your 'logic'.

So if it such a corrupt culture why do you live here? You bring up your police check to justify your presence here, and then turn around and criticise the same system from which you derive your legitimacy. So which is it, I believe the police report, or because it comes via a corrupt organisation it isn't worth the paper it is written on and it is safe to assume you are a rockspider? I mean you make broad generalisations, why can't I?

And you justify your own piss weak attempts at fitting in based on your visa status? Talk about pathetic.

Again, the irony and hypocrisy of the anti foreigner foreigners. High expectations for everyone else, but nothing but miserable excuses when the same standards are applied to them.

I still don't understand your comment about working and paying taxes.. So of a Muslim works and pays taxes, then they are okay to follow their religion. But if they don't, they aren't? And what visa status should they be on?

So you demand answers from others, but are all of a sudden too good to answer when others question you? What was this about playing the ball not the man. Talk about thin skinned.

You really need to stop putting words into people's mouths in order to support your arguments or maybe your reading comprehension is just as you say, piss poor. I've rarely seen a post jumping to such ridiculous conclusions.

There was just to much BS in that reply to even bother addressing.

It's obvious your outlook on Islam is way out there but I take heart that your views on this backward evil cult are thankfully in the minority.

Another statement on Christianity in a thread about Australia preventing atrocities being carried out on it's soil by Islamists?

Just more ignorant BS deflection.

• Like 1

Since I am the wannabe to whom you are directing one of your anaemic insults, I guess I have right of reply?

You are not talking about Jihad in Australia at all. It is clear that you are just a bog standard anti-immigrant Brit, using these incidents to stir up fear of the darkies who you think are coming to steal benefits. What on earth do you have to contribute to a discussion on Jihadism in Australia. I am prepared to have a serious discussion with serious people on the issue. Are you?

Don't know you? Unfortunately, I have met many you's here in Thailand. Far more than I care for. Anti-immigrant immigrants to Thailand. But then you are not immigrant are you. You are a temporary visitor here for whatever reason. Maybe you are exploiting cheap third world sex because you can't afford more upscale places in the Med or Florida.

The problem with racists like you is that all the good insults are gone for you to use. How do you insult an anti-racist? All you have is some weak squeal of 'apologist'. Insulting a Thai for being part of a culture that is not multicultural, from a racist! Hilarious. Where can you go from there? You have moved from the sublime to the ridiculous. It is Pythonesque. Oh stick it up your but you non multiculturalist apologist. Something Michael Palin or Terry Gilliam would say. And for your insult to me - an anti-immigrant insulting an immigrant on wanting legal status to work, live and raise a family in the country of his choice.

You want to be taken seriously? Done. Make a serious comment that isn't racist garbage.

Racist this, racist that! Pro-Islamists love playing the race card. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

I will take that as a win then. I assume you are too shameless to withdraw.

I do not like Islam, nor any religion. Neither the ideas or the propagation of the faith.

But I do not support genocide of muslims.