Disturbing/Sick Thai Media Culture

Aldebaran1981

Was watching the early morning news and saw a news about some guys being captured by the police for killing someone at gunpoint.

What disturbed me was that the police/media actually made the men pose and take photos of the vehicles they used for the killing as well as the position from which they shot the poor victim!

I feel that this is so sick of the media as well as police to allow the perpetrators to be photographed in such a light.

What are they trying to portray to the public?

While I think it is strange, I don't know why the murder should be protected against being photographed....

Ok so they capture you and say you did it but really you didnt then all the locals bash your head in later even though they never found the real killer.........mud sticks etc

A few years back I came across a photo in a news report. A nurse in uniform, standing in front of a very bad accident scene.

She, in her pretty white cap, held up a chunk of flesh, bloody and presumably human, and while pointing at it, smiled for the camera.

• Like 1

While I think it is strange, I don't know why the murder should be protected against being photographed....

Because there's a difference between a suspect and a convicted criminal. Take the latest case, the beach murder on Koh Tao, as an example: The British friend of one of the killed victims was suspected of kiling them "out of jealousy". Now it turned out he's innocent. Too late, his picture is everywhere over the internet now, it made it even on the front page of the Bangkok Post and some British newspapers. See the problem?

Well I don't recall him handing himself over to the Police or the British Embassy, as I understand he was picked up at the airport. Good work by the Police if you ask me.

• Like 2

Because there's a difference between a suspect and a convicted criminal. Take the latest case, the beach murder on Koh Tao, as an example: The British friend of one of the killed victims was suspected of kiling them "out of jealousy". Now it turned out he's innocent. Too late, his picture is everywhere over the internet now, it made it even on the front page of the Bangkok Post and some British newspapers. See the problem?

Well I don't recall him handing himself over to the Police or the British Embassy, as I understand he was picked up at the airport. Good work by the Police if you ask me.

Airport? What airport? Closest one would be Samui. And then they brought him back to Tao?

Whatever, picking up somebody from the airport is not what I'd call "good work by the police". He was and is innocent, so he's free to go wherever he wants. Did he even knew about the murder before the police told him?

But all this has nothing to do with my argument that I find it wrong to publish pictures of a suspect. Many (unfortunately not all) media in the west have finally learned that. I hope one day Thai media will do the same.

Airport? What airport? Closest one would be Samui. And then they brought him back to Tao?

Whatever, picking up somebody from the airport is not what I'd call "good work by the police". He was and is innocent, so he's free to go wherever he wants. Did he even knew about the murder before the police told him?

But all this has nothing to do with my argument that I find it wrong to publish pictures of a suspect. Many (unfortunately not all) media in the west have finally learned that. I hope one day Thai media will do the same.

I know what you are trying to say but the normal response of any caring human being whose friends had been murdered is to return to the scene of the crime and find out what happened. He did not behave normally even though the news spread Worldwide that's why what was done was done.

I know what you are trying to say but the normal response of any caring human being whose friends had been murdered is to return to the scene of the crime and find out what happened. He did not behave normally even though the news spread Worldwide that's why what was done was done.

I would disagree, normal response for any sane person in Thailand, is to run away before the police fit you up for the crime.

They already said they think he did it because he was a homosexual, no evidence required.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Don't worry about it, yesterday I looked at a pretty Thai girls facebook page, it looked like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth until I seen the post of a video of a teenager naked tied to a spit being burned alive after 5 Russians had raped her.

I didn't click play no need to watch stuff like that.

Not to mention watching live on Thai TV a Thai man shoot his girlfriend in the head at point blank range and leave the CCTV running so you could see him escape on his Honda Wave while a pool of blood encircled her.

many other things I could think of too.

Welcome to Thailand The Land of Smiles.

Edited by rhythmworx

There is every chance he got on the boat and got to bangkok without even knowing anything had happened. All he would have known is that his buddy was out partying .

There is every chance he got on the boat and got to bangkok without even knowing anything had happened. All he would have known is that his buddy was out partying .

• Like 1

I would assume Its to help Police determine whether the person who is confessing to the crime is the one who committed the crime, and is not protecting or being paid by the real offender.

Not sure I follow that....if that is part of the reason for doing it couldn't it be done in private, I don't see how doing it in public makes it more lightly they are not being paid to own up to it.....but maybe I'm overlooking something. If it were to "jog" prospective witnesses memories (the re-enactment) that might make some sense. I heard an explanation before for the pointing and the photo opps but cannot remember it now. I also remember reading on TV I think that it was being discontinued because it was not considered to be in practice with that of a modern police force....in other words....they realized it looked silly.

Edited by dotpoom

Last month outside Udon Thani, we were 2 minutes behind a big ice-hauling truck that smashed into a tuk-tuk. Two dead bodies and one still alive, twitching on the pavement, when we passed. The EMS vehicles were still ten minutes away. I went online to find Udon news that night, and found a link to the EMS's FB page - they had posed photos of the EMS responders with the bodies, as if they were a "hunting party" posing with trophy elk. Absolutely grotesque.

Thailand has a shame culture. Authorities make the perpetrators pay emotionally for their wrongdoings by being publicly humiliated. You'll always see the disgraced party in the photos or video footage with their eyes downcast, looking suitably penitent, or literally trying to hide their faces from the loss of "face". They like to reinforce the moral notions of "good" and "bad" so that people will tow the line.

Westerners are so desensitised to reality. The reenactment if crimes, showing of accident victims, open coffin at funerals etc etc show you how it is. Watching Sky news where they warn you when the most innocuous images are coming up just emphasises the differences berween the cultures. The west has forgotten the reality in a wave of political correctness and appeasement. Ha...maybe the Thai authorities should announce before unpleasant things that westerners who have only been here five minutes should look away! The rest of us have grown to appreciate it as part of life.