Disturbing/Sick Thai Media Culture

Aldebaran1981

While I think it is strange, I don't know why the murder should be protected against being photographed....

Because there's a difference between a suspect and a convicted criminal. Take the latest case, the beach murder on Koh Tao, as an example: The British friend of one of the killed victims was suspected of kiling them "out of jealousy". Now it turned out he's innocent. Too late, his picture is everywhere over the internet now, it made it even on the front page of the Bangkok Post and some British newspapers. See the problem?

And it appears to me he should have an excellent opportunity to sue for loss of reputation under Thai Law. Is that allowed for a farang? Doesn't the Thai Constitution say everyone is to be treated equally? Oh, there you go, thinking too much!

I feel that this is so sick of the media as well as police to allow the perpetrators to be photographed in such a light.

What are they trying to portray to the public?

You can't be serious trying to make this out as some unique Thai media culture. It always amazes me how little some people seem to be aware of their own cultures. Did you suddenly wake up to the world around you only after reaching Suvarnabhumi?

The press event "perp walk" is as American as apple pie from Al Capone to Lee Harvey Oswald to Paris Hilton. How about the media circus as OJ Simpson drove home with the police in pursuit on the freeway televised live for hours and the soap opera that followed. And when it comes to sicko publications, Rupert Murdoch's deservedly shuttered News of the World plumbed the depths on a regular basis.

article-2012695-0CEDA3EF00000578-8_306x4

perp-walk-620x508.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Westerners are so desensitised to reality. The reenactment if crimes, showing of accident victims, open coffin at funerals etc etc show you how it is. Watching Sky news where they warn you when the most innocuous images are coming up just emphasises the differences berween the cultures. The west has forgotten the reality in a wave of political correctness and appeasement. Ha...maybe the Thai authorities should announce before unpleasant things that westerners who have only been here five minutes should look away! The rest of us have grown to appreciate it as part of life.

Just an observation but I cannot quite get a handle on both what you are saying and yet having cigarettes or guns blurred out on TV. How does this jive with "reality"? I suspect, as in the west, sensationalism sells viewership and thus advertising dollars (baht) is attracted. I can find hypocracy enough in both Asian and Western cultures. Careful with "the rest of us" types of statements.

• Like 1

it feels sick.

Yes, to shame the wrong doer in such a manner sounds like a great way to maybe prevent crime.

however, to me it feels just wrong and voyeuristic.

any crime enactment, if any, should be done behind closed doors in front of a lawyer or judge during the trial and not in full view of the public with photographers snapping away.

it's somewhat like glorifying the crimes that they have committed that they are perceived in a "superstar" fashion being on the tv and media.

Don't worry about it, yesterday I looked at a pretty Thai girls facebook page, it looked like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth until I seen the post of a video of a teenager naked tied to a spit being burned alive after 5 Russians had raped her.

I didn't click play no need to watch stuff like that.

Not to mention watching live on Thai TV a Thai man shoot his girlfriend in the head at point blank range and leave the CCTV running so you could see him escape on his Honda Wave while a pool of blood encircled her.

many other things I could think of too.

Welcome to Thailand The Land of Smiles.

Bad things only happen here...Crazy shit would never happen in the Western world....Welcome to the West: A paradise where everybody is so happy they never leave!

While I think it is strange, I don't know why the murder should be protected against being photographed....

Because there's a difference between a suspect and a convicted criminal. Take the latest case, the beach murder on Koh Tao, as an example: The British friend of one of the killed victims was suspected of kiling them "out of jealousy". Now it turned out he's innocent. Too late, his picture is everywhere over the internet now, it made it even on the front page of the Bangkok Post and some British newspapers. See the problem?

thai police say its myanmar nationals then an english friend , time for the random innocent peasant thai fisherman to plead guilty for a pay check

A bunch of whining complainers, on this venue, wanting Thailand to be "just like at home."

If you like your home so much, and Thailand so little, GO HOME, GO HOME, GO HOME.

bye bye

If you want to know why many things in Thailand are still so backward, read no further than this. If you don't like what people say, stick your head in the sand.

What is REALLY disturbing is the number of Thais who are glued to the TV to watch Thai soaps...soaps which portray a group of dysfunctional people with knives, guns, and fists...taking out their evil intentions upon one another...the females can be as evil as the males...to me the soaps are a reflection of the reality and destructiveness of Thai culture...unseen by the average tourist or expat...

Sick for me was the picture of the girl tied lengthwise on the tracks and then killed by the train. They put it in color with a pretense of fogging, but it was still horrendous.

And yet they fog out people smoking and don't show kissing hardly at all.

Edited by animatic

What is REALLY disturbing is the number of Thais who are glued to the TV to watch Thai soaps...soaps which portray a group of dysfunctional people with knives, guns, and fists...taking out their evil intentions upon one another...the females can be as evil as the males...to me the soaps are a reflection of the reality and destructiveness of Thai culture...unseen by the average tourist or expat...

I guess you've never seen American or Mexican soaps.

Things are different here! That's the only explanation needed....

Yes, different. No better or worse. The OP is showing a bit of self-righteous indignation.

As opposed to 90% of posters on TV ? In this case, I doubt that he has had the pleasure of seeing the graphic photos they publish of the victims of violence and road accidents - far more disturbing than some shamefaced Thais standing next to a car. Pattaya One has some bus crash photos that make me want to barricade myself in my apartment and never leave this town again.

I'm looking forward to my trip to Japan later this month - a 'safe' country by all accounts, but like Thailand there are contradictions galore. If I based my opinion of the Japanese people on the nation's film output of the last 30-40 years and their 'graphic novels', I wouldnt get on the plane. If you genuinely believe the soaps are a reflection of the average Thais 'homicidal' nature, why would you want to live in this country ?

I'm looking forward to my trip to Japan later this month - a 'safe' country by all accounts, but like Thailand there are contradictions galore. If I based my opinion of the Japanese people on the nation's film output of the last 30-40 years and their 'graphic novels', I wouldnt get on the plane. If you genuinely believe the soaps are a reflection of the average Thais 'homicidal' nature, why would you want to live in this country ?

They're right, Thai TV really is something to behold and is on the money with actual life here. For many natives there is nothing better. The difference is Japs watch TV for entertainment and know it's not real. Edited by daveAustin
  • Like 1

They're right, Thai TV really is something to behold and is on the money with actual life here. For many natives there is nothing better. The difference is Japs watch TV for entertainment and know it's not real.

Geez, Dave, what an ignorant comment. At least be honest and admit that you have no idea how Thais think. It's your racist attitude that is much more disturbing. Whether towards the Thais or the "Japs."

The very morning those two British tourists were murdered a friend of my wife's on facebook 'shared' the actual uncensored photos of the bodies in full graphic detail.

I was absolutely disgusted by this and I reported the images and told my wife to unfriend that stupid woman.

Incredibly disrespectful and sickening!

• Like 2

Well I don't recall him handing himself over to the Police or the British Embassy, as I understand he was picked up at the airport. Good work by the Police if you ask me.

He could have had some seriously important info....why the hell did he run?

• Like 1

I quite enjoy Lakorn.

Well I don't recall him handing himself over to the Police or the British Embassy, as I understand he was picked up at the airport. Good work by the Police if you ask me.

Airport? What airport? Closest one would be Samui. And then they brought him back to Tao?

Whatever, picking up somebody from the airport is not what I'd call "good work by the police". He was and is innocent, so he's free to go wherever he wants. Did he even knew about the murder before the police told him?

But all this has nothing to do with my argument that I find it wrong to publish pictures of a suspect. Many (unfortunately not all) media in the west have finally learned that. I hope one day Thai media will do the same.

I know what you are trying to say but the normal response of any caring human being whose friends had been murdered is to return to the scene of the crime and find out what happened. He did not behave normally even though the news spread Worldwide that's why what was done was done.

it appears that disappearing before the locals could stitch you up for the crime was exactly the correct thing to do