Durex's sexually inappropriate ad sparks outrage in Thailand

webfact

Durex's Sexually Inappropriate Ad Sparks Outrage In Thailand
Jon SpringerJon Springer

THAILAND: -- “Twenty-eight percent of women that fought ended up consenting,” is the translation offered by multiple local observers of a now pulled Durex ad on the company’s Facebook page in Thailand earlier this week.

The Facebook page of Durex Thailand subsequently posted an apology. In the age of the internet, Durex and other condom sellers have upped the ante with websites and social media that promote their products by promoting the main activity required for their products: sex.

With campaigns against date rape and social media campaigns such as YesAllWomen pushing back against sexist cultures globally, how Durex Thailand let this post on their Facebook page be created, let alone posted, is a question many Thais posed until the ad was pulled.

The ad was up for approximately ten hours according to estimates of local observers before being pulled by the company. It is possible the ad was intended to say, “twenty-eight percent of women that resist end up consenting,” and was poorly translated into Thai. This translation is unlikely better to those who find the ad in poor taste or to women who have been victims of sexual assault.

Full story: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonspringer/2014/09/17/durexs-sexually-inappropriate-ad-sparks-outrage-in-thailand/

-- FORBES 2014-09-18

• Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope Durex's Thai Brand Manager gets crucified for this.

OK if the translation is correct--doubt. BUT if Thailand-instead of rubbishing an ad/comment--actually welcomed Durex, gave out the companies product free to all the youngsters it could save many a heartache.

Problem here is some words they do not like---as opposed to helping the pregnancy crisis.

• Like 1

I hope Durex's Thai Brand Manager gets crucified for this.

No he should get a medal for it.

No one speaking about condoms anymore, the topic is boring and every day people get infected with HIV.

With whatever he can wake up the people he safes life.

• Like 2

Translation only ?? Has anyone on say facebook reading a Thai typed comment, and pressed the translate to English button ??? it is complete and utter near non readable rubbish that does not even equate to English---example Bing. Anything in this land translated is never near the original, how on earth can posters here on TVF reply correctly.

By learning to read Thai :)

Rather degrading, if interpretation is correct, to women everywhere, not only in Thailand , for a company with such a important contribution to society, if this has been reported correct , it is indeed a big stuff up.bah.gif

It's quite possible the translation is correct. After all, the West seems to be engaging in a somewhat distasteful advertising campaign regards sexual violence aimed at women. Here's another lovely link pulled from today's Independent http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/tezenis-removes-crime-scene-pants-from-oxford-street-store-after-backlash-over-rape-connotations-9738613.html

Translation only ?? Has anyone on say facebook reading a Thai typed comment, and pressed the translate to English button ??? it is complete and utter near non readable rubbish that does not even equate to English---example Bing. Anything in this land translated is never near the original, how on earth can posters here on TVF reply correctly.

Some of us read Thai. That's how.

It is only a fraction of TVF posters---but good for you to promote your international language skills, better idea then is for you to work for BING or The Nation, and help the rest of us DUMB posters HaHa 555

• Like 2

By learning to read Thai smile.png

Pood Thai bo-ow, nit noi. speak Laos for yes----errr.

Dead right!

I just read, but can't give the website, that there's a rock in Koh Tao now with a big sign saying, "Durex was here."

"It is possible the ad was intended to say, “twenty-eight percent of women that resist end up consenting,”

How the hell is that supposed to be any better?

Could have added "once they found out their partner was going to use a quality Durex Condom". I believe that enhances the advertising by implying "quality", also branding by mentioning the "Durex" name. It does not leave too much room for any misunderstanding and it is good advertising. I remember when the XV International Aids Conference was held in Bangkok back in 2004. There was a parade down Si Lom Road with the marchers handing out free condoms with info cards on how to use them to bystanders. The condom packages (which I believe had a Durex brand condom inside) were emblazoned with the events logo. I received several, used a few and kept one as a souvenir of the event. No body that I was aware of at the time was shocked or horrified by the event. As a matter of fact, most people both Male and Female were giggling and rushing to get as many free condoms as they could from the marchers. It was an awesome sight! laugh.png

I expect that the intention was along the lines of saying that "if the man was using Durex the woman felt safer."

Presumably a Durex ad would be meant to imply that using their product would be reassuring. I doubt anyone intent on rape or date rape would be overly worried about purchasing condoms before or after reading the ad.

Either the person who wrote the ad was clueless (by no means an exclusively Thai condition in the field of advertising) or the original intent was lost in a poor chosen or badly translated choice of words.

Some of Durex's ads outside Thailand are in questionable taste too, but it's probably difficult not to upset some people whatever you do when promoting this produce.

post-145917-0-31241500-1411031749_thumb.

post-145917-0-62448500-1411031762_thumb.

post-145917-0-28530900-1411031910_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Durex condoms were what I describe as the original condoms introduced I think in England almost 100 years ago. They later became known as a packet of three because each pack contained three condoms.

Back in my days Durex condoms were mostly sold in what were known as the gentlemen’s hairdressers shops, although were also available in some drug stores. It always felt embarrassing asking a young lady staff member in a drug store for a pack of condoms, so my mates and I would visit our local hairdresser, have our hair cut and afterwards the barber would ask; anything for the weekend sir? Then the whole transaction would take place discretely without any shame or embarrassment. My mates and I had the shortest hair in town. Young ladies would rarely carry condoms, as they would have been considered women of easy virtue and of bringing discredit to their families. Now thinking; how times have changed, we were so young and innocent back in those days when matters of sex and contraception had to be done discretely, as open advertising such as in the OP would have been considered as outrageous, indecent and obscene.

During the 1960`s when the contraceptive pill entered the scene, sales of condoms dropped dramatically, the days of the condom appeared to be numbered and for the girls taking the pill, especially if they were promiscuous could be done much more discretely than carrying a pack of condoms, which was considered as the men’s duty and responsibility. Then once HIV and the aids virus reared it`s ugly head came a time of reprieve for the condom companies.

In my opinion the ways that sex and sexually related material is plied onto young people by companies and the media today has reached the extremes, there seems no boundaries that I blame on there now being so many unwanted pregnancies and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

Rather degrading, if interpretation is correct, to women everywhere, not only in Thailand , for a company with such a important contribution to society, if this has been reported correct , it is indeed a big stuff up.bah.gif

It's quite possible the translation is correct. After all, the West seems to be engaging in a somewhat distasteful advertising campaign regards sexual violence aimed at women. Here's another lovely link pulled from today's Independent http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/tezenis-removes-crime-scene-pants-from-oxford-street-store-after-backlash-over-rape-connotations-9738613.html

I can confirm that the translation is correct. I might have said, "finally submitted," but that's just quibbling.

I would love to see the rest of Durex's stat data. I mean what are the numbers on resisting anal for example. I mean I bet 100% say no at first but someones doing it somewhere I am sure. So c'mon Durex, how many times do ya gotta knock on the back door before someone welcomes you in??

I could just see the Durex data collectors knocking on doors now "Good morning ma'am we are conducting a study on intercourse acquisition. Have you ever refused sex? Um, yes. And after how many Apple Martinis did you change your mind? Um, 5? Thank you very much this data will go a long way to helping men score."

• Like 1