UK 'raises concern' over bikini remarks by Thai PM

webfact

UK 'raises concern' over bikini remarks by Thai PM

BANGKOK, September 18, 2014 (AFP) - Britain Thursday raised concerns after Thailand's junta leader suggested tourists in bikinis could be more vulnerable to attack, as DNA tests failed to yield a breakthrough in the hunt for the killers of two British holidaymakers.

The battered bodies of David Miller, 24 and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were found on the southern resort island of Koh Tao on Monday.

Distraught relatives of Witheridge broke down in tears and hugged each other ahead of a police briefing in Bangkok on Thursday, as the investigation continued to draw a blank.

Thailand's military ruler Prayut Chan-O-Cha on Wednesday drew condemnation after questioning the safety of female tourists in the kingdom.

"They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere," Prayut -- who is also prime minister -- told government officials.

But "can they be safe in bikinis... unless they are not beautiful?"

The British embassy in Bangkok said it had contacted the Thai foreign ministry raising its "concerns" over his remarks and to ask "for clarification", according to an embassy statement.

Prayut's off-the-cuff comments echoed others made to reporters on Tuesday questioning the behaviour of the murdered Britons as well as the perpetrators.

- No DNA matches -

Thailand's image as a tourist haven, already tarnished by months of political protests that ended in May's army coup, has been further damaged by the murder of the Britons.

On Thursday, police continued to hunt for clues on the small, normally laid-back diving island of Koh Tao as post-mortem examinations of the victims' bodies in Bangkok did not find any DNA links to 12 people they have questioned so far.

Those include two of Miller's British friends who were asked to stay in Bangkok pending the forensic results -- and several Myanmar migrant workers.

The British men were now "free to return home," regional police commander Panya Maman told AFP.

Experts tested traces of semen and a hair found at the crime scene but could not find a match.

With no arrests and an apparent lack of new leads, it is unclear where the police investigation can turn after nearly four days scouring sparsely populated Koh Tao.

Thailand's key high season for tourists is just two months away and the kingdom is desperate to reassure visitors after a year which saw takings slump because of political turmoil.

The governor of Surat Thani province -- which covers Koh Tao -- said the island would no longer host spin-off parties of the "full moon" beach raves which draw backpacking hordes to neighbouring Koh Phangan.

"We don't want any more crimes," governor Chatpong Chatraphuti told AFP, adding hotels and resorts would have to install new security cameras and lighting.

The junta has vowed to restore Thailand's reputation as the "Land of Smiles", embarking on a clean-up of resorts after a series of complaints about scams, assaults and even police extortion.

The army imposed martial law in the days before the coup and then a nationwide curfew afterwards -- which it quickly lifted from the kingdom's main tourists areas.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-09-18

• Like 1

The Daily Mail website should permanently be block to safe guard all innocent Thais.

I am not sure if they have been paid by Thaksin or what, but lately have been publishing a lot of negative things about Thailand, and some info is not exactly true. For example, it say Prayuth came to be PM from coup. Not true. Prayuth was elected by >97% of the voters.

Yesterday, Daily Mail has gone non-stop bad mouth Prayuth about his comment to alert women not to expose themselves too much. That is a very good fatherly advise. Nothing is wrong with that.

Absolute Bollacks

He does have some valid points.

• Like 1

The Daily Mail website should permanently be block to safe guard all innocent Thais.

I am not sure if they have been paid by Thaksin or what, but lately have been publishing a lot of negative things about Thailand, and some info is not exactly true. For example, it say Prayuth came to be PM from coup. Not true. Prayuth was elected by >97% of the voters.

Yesterday, Daily Mail has gone non-stop bad mouth Prayuth about his comment to alert women not to expose themselves too much. That is a very good fatherly advise. Nothing is wrong with that.

Absolute Bollacks

He does have some valid points.

Points as in plural? It's 'absolute bollacks' is only one valid point.

If you say soogiggle.gif

Seems we can watch tourist numbers fall further .

Our travel agent said she had 27 people change plans since the murders took place.

Thailand is really going to feel the pinch soon

I think that is merely wishful thinking. This terrible incident is not going to destroy Thailand's tourism industry.

I didn't say destroy -

Its not wishful Thinking -

Its tourists thinking !

And what ""i did say"' is they will feel the pinch.

Thats not an unreasonable observation -

Its based on reaction to this -

Reaction to the Pm's comments

Reaction to the whole Gun ho Take over-

And people like the UK embassy having to ask for clarification from the Thais on comments.

Social media is awash with people saying "'not Thailand this year"

All indicators are that some down swing will be certainly felt -

And especially if the Killers are not caught.

• Like 1

Seems we can watch tourist numbers fall further .

Our travel agent said she had 27 people change plans since the murders took place.

Thailand is really going to feel the pinch soon

I think that is merely wishful thinking. This terrible incident is not going to destroy Thailand's tourism industry.

Destroyed or seriously damaged is just semantics. Based on what Jonathan Head on the BBC just reported it doesn't sound very hopeful that this crime will be solved . Then we still have the unsolved murder of Kirsty Jones in Chiang Mai. . How many unsolved murders of tourist backpackers can a country with stand before it suffers a serious dent to its reputation?

• Like 2

The Daily Mail has been blocked in Thailand for many weeks. Probably why they are "reacting".

Six of one and half a dozen of the other!

The website might be blocked but the mobile app isn't. Apparently. That's what some guy told me anyway.

attachicon.gifirony.jpeg

If chotthee is Thai, he's doing the irony very well.clap2.gif

Deep cover perhaps? In which case - keep up the good work agent Chotthee!

Incidentally, last time I tried to follow a football link to Sportmail, the Daily Mail website was still blocked (I think because of its tasteless story about the poodle's birthday party). Given the Daily Heil's editorial policy in the 1930s, I find the fact that it has been penalised more than the other UK newspapers to be one of life's little ironies.

Deputy govt spokesman says PM sorry over 'bikini quote'

BANGKOK: -- Deputy government Spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha was sorry after learning that his comment over the murder of British tourists caused a furore.

Sansern said Prayuth was also sorry that part of his statement was selectively played up without taking his intention into account.

Sansern said Prayuth had good intention to protect tourists and wanted to see all sides cooperate to increase security for foreigners.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-18

• Like 2