UK 'raises concern' over bikini remarks by Thai PM

webfact

I also have been to party's where a Thai became a monk and there were loads of very young (maybe 12-14 yo) very sexy dancers. They were family i guess but they danced very sexy and weared a very sexy outfit.

Also i have been to companyparty's where they rented gogodancers but the extreme versions of them (forgot the word) and the boys were touching them anywhere, licking them anywhere and so on ON STAGE. (the rest i won't describe here) and even i was ashamed for that behaviour let alone my wife (who is their manager). Many of her collegues (young girls) were staying very close to me because they were scared for all those drunk men who were overheated. When i went to the toilet the drunk boys were chasing them and they were oh so happy to come sit next to me again. And no they didn't wear anything sexy at all, they were officegirls.

So i can't understand why western girls aren't allowed to dress sexy on the beach but if that's the norm then we better accept it.

All these people putting up pictures of dancers and the such, is that often they are up on pedestals outside the reach of grubby horny blokes. It is just pathetic tittilation. Hence partly why, these feral blokes can't control themselves when they have an opportunity to actually come into contact with real women.

The role and imagery of women in Thailand is a study in itself.

blink.png

The General wants to allude to how "tourists" dress, but let me ask this. Has he been anywhere near a college campus in the last, ohhh, 10 years or so and seen the skirts (which keep getting shorter & tighter) that all the "good Thai girls" are wearing? laugh.png

Edited by Just1Voice

The General wants to allude to how "tourists" dress, but let me ask this. Has he been anywhere near a college campus in the last, ohhh, 10 years or so and seen the skirts (which keep getting shorter & tighter) that all the "good Thai girls" are wearing? laugh.png

I think the General and I are close to the same age. Here's what I found when I got here in 1968.

post-187908-0-21026400-1411053230_thumb.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe insensitive but he has a point. There is no bikinis or even swimming suits worn by locals at local beaches and only a few westernized thais wear them at tourist places and then much bigger than western bikinis. Unfortunately.

The only thais you will see wearing western bikinis are pros looking for a custumer or already with one.

Told this years ago by the wife saying girls in bikinis are putting themselves in danger. Most loso thai men have little respect for women and just see women as meat.

The shorts under skirts are worn for a reason.

What you say is true but how to explain all the teens and young women walking around in BKK and elsewhere in those short short shorts that are only a bit bigger than a bikini and nowhere near a beach?

• Like 1

There is only one reason why foreign tourists in bikinis are tolerated on Thai beaches, and that is because of the $$$ earned from these tourists.

Most Thai people are conservative in outlook and frown upon the wearing of such clothing. Remember that most Thais are Buddhist, with a large Muslim minority (majority in the south).

Don't think for one minute that you would be welcome on the beaches of Thailand in your bikini if it were not for your money.

I'm really not sure how much of their wearing t-shirts on beaches comes from conservatism and how much comes from their terrible fear of becoming sun tanned and therefore dark.

On the few occasions I've discussed this with "ordinary" thai ladies (i.e. not from Pattaya or similar places) of the right age for wearing bikinis, the fear of becoming dark seemed like their main reason.

Of course, they might not want to openly admit being shy either.

Edited by Lannig

There is only one reason why foreign tourists in bikinis are tolerated on Thai beaches, and that is because of the $$$ earned from these tourists.

Most Thai people are conservative in outlook and frown upon the wearing of such clothing. Remember that most Thais are Buddhist, with a large Muslim minority (majority in the south).

Don't think for one minute that you would be welcome on the beaches of Thailand in your bikini if it were not for your money.

I'm really not sure how much of their wearing t-shirts on beaches comes from conservatism and how much comes from their terrible fear of becoming sun tanned and therefore dark.

On the few occasions I've discussed this with "ordinary" thai ladies (i.e. not from Pattaya or similar places) of the right age for wearing bikinis, the fear of becoming dark seemed like their main reason.

Of course, they might not want to openly admit being shy either.

My SIL, who is smokin' hot fit always wears a bikini on the beach. The old woman never did but that was in the interests of public safety, the environment and wary there might be a whaling ship patrolling the area.

• Like 2

20-25 million tourists come to Thailand every year, 5-6 of them die, big deal, thats less than 1 in 4-5 million. Its not an unsafe country for tourists, definitely safer than most countries in this planet.

http://www.news.com.au/world/thailand-revealed-as-the-most-dangerous-destination-for-australian-travellers/story-fndir2ev-1226769908571

20-25 million tourists come to Thailand every year, 5-6 of them die, big deal, thats less than 1 in 4-5 million. Its not an unsafe country for tourists, definitely safer than most countries in this planet.

http://travel.amerikanki.com/worlds-most-dangerous-vacation-destinations/

And thailand is not even on the list.

People get killed everywhere be it in New York, London, Toronto.

2 years ago an american tourist was killed in Istanbul, does this make Istanbul an unsafe city? No in fact its safer than most cities, there are cameras everywhere.

Thailand doesn't deserve this bad publicity, and you can be sure it won't have a impact on tourist arrivals, where are those 60-70 year old sex tourists gonna go? Cambodia? yeah I bet its much safer over there.

Deputy govt spokesman says PM sorry over 'bikini quote'

BANGKOK: -- Deputy government Spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha was sorry after learning that his comment over the murder of British tourists caused a furore.

Sansern said Prayuth was also sorry that part of his statement was selectively played up without taking his intention into account.

Sansern said Prayuth had good intention to protect tourists and wanted to see all sides cooperate to increase security for foreigners.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-09-18

Why can't he say it himself?

I've just seen him ten minute ago on Thai TV he did .

The Daily Mail website should permanently be block to safe guard all innocent Thais.

I am not sure if they have been paid by Thaksin or what, but lately have been publishing a lot of negative things about Thailand, and some info is not exactly true. For example, it say Prayuth came to be PM from coup. Not true. Prayuth was elected by >97% of the voters.

Yesterday, Daily Mail has gone non-stop bad mouth Prayuth about his comment to alert women not to expose themselves too much. That is a very good fatherly advise. Nothing is wrong with that.

Absolute Bollacks

He does have some valid points.

What happened is outrageous! On that score there is no question at all! Those that are responsible for this horrible act will be caught at some point, but like all investigations, it might take more time than any of us would like. But there will be closure for the families. My heart goes out to them all.

But my question on this whole matter is the fact that there are far more murders that take place on the beaches of Southern California around say... Los Angeles (just to use one area of the beach communities in the US) than there are here in Thailand. However there is no major drop in the tourists going to those beaches. So why the issue here? Or is it that Thailand is supposed to be a safe place to vacation? Or is it that the local Plod is less than useless? Or is it that the authorities here and elsewhere are over doing things a bit? Or is it for a combination of everything.

Now about the bikini issue... please! What a load of bunk. In Palm Springs bikinis were banned on public streets or pools (there are no beaches... so next best thing I guess) years ago. But let us see the reality in it all; banning bikinis will never pass. There is enough trouble with the tourist numbers coming into Thailand and the perceived fall in numbers for this up coming season. Banning bikinis will just add to this and so will be forgotten just as quickly as it came up. Politicians and policemen say the dumbest things as we all know. Also, if it does go through then, what about the Speedos that only Russian men seem to think are good looking?

The Daily Mail website should permanently be block to safe guard all innocent Thais.

I am not sure if they have been paid by Thaksin or what, but lately have been publishing a lot of negative things about Thailand, and some info is not exactly true. For example, it say Prayuth came to be PM from coup. Not true. Prayuth was elected by >97% of the voters.

Yesterday, Daily Mail has gone non-stop bad mouth Prayuth about his comment to alert women not to expose themselves too much. That is a very good fatherly advise. Nothing is wrong with that.

Absolute Bollacks

He does have some valid points.

Blx!

Kind of an amazing statement by the PM considering that Thailand's biggest claim to fame in the world is the sex trade. What a buffoon. Can you imagine the reaction in Thailand if the British PM made a statement to the effect that the world only knows of Thailand because of the sex trade rampant in the country.

Why do they not involve the UK police to help them. They should send a sample of the hair to UK they will test it to see if it was Asian or European.

Am sure UK have more sophisticated means of checking a lot, CTV footage they could enhance a lot.

Probably a good idea, but HEAVEN FORBID!!! The BIB would lose face then. Can't have THAT now can we?

Why do they not involve the UK police to help them. They should send a sample of the hair to UK they will test it to see if it was Asian or European.

Am sure UK have more sophisticated means of checking a lot, CTV footage they could enhance a lot.

Probably a good idea, but HEAVEN FORBID!!! The BIB would lose face then. Can't have THAT now can we?

Oh yeah, the British police will help you a lot. Let's not be hypocrites and have a go at Thais. They are as bad as anyone else.

Police Treated British Rape Victims Like ‘Stupid, Naughty’ Girls
A sex abuse investigation in Britain raises difficult questions of race and child protection.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/police-treated-british-rape-victims-like-stupid-naughty-girls/196050/

Thailand can't have its cake and eat it too. The PM has previously stated that he wants to revive the tourist industry to previous standards. Many, if not most, foreign tourists like to go to the beach and many, if not most, female beach goers wear a bikini at some time or other. They are not going "everywhere", they are going to the beach.

If you don't want foreign bikini clad women on your beaches, then say so and accept the tourist arrival consequences. There are Muslim countries who do just that and fine, that's what they want, no problem. Is it what Thailand wants?

Tourists in bikinis, or reduced arrivals. Which is it to be?

And whilst posting, the Brits should be raising concerns that the only possible suspects being examined by the police are foreigners. In fact, to go by what one policeman said, Thai nationals are ruled out of suspicion. Now THAT is something to be concerned about.

This is the heart of the matter.

If Thailand wants to continue to sell itself as a BEACH DESTINATION, then foreign tourists - both male and female - must be safe from local predators Period.

If Thailand cannot assure the safety of foreign tourists in destinations marketed as beach resorts, then the travel industry will find other destinations in other countries which care about their clients.

In this case, the spotlight of world media attention is on LOS ; sadly, both fhe military rulers and the police

have made a dog's breakfast of a very delicate situation, resulting in a tsunami of bad publicity, which, in turn, will be bad for business. Travel industry professionals have to deal with public perceptions, and public relations firms make millions of dollars trying to enhance the images of unsavory destinations.

Howevef, first you have to admit you have a problem; unfortunately, denial is a way of life among the LOS Pooyai - both in and out of uniform.

• Like 2

"The fact is considering the circumstances, the comments were in bad taste and insensitive and has nothing to do with with "crap western idea's" and this is borne out by the fact the General has come out and apologized for the remarks he made.

but seeing as we are talking about thinking its fine to to "parade" around can you please tell me when Thai ladies stopped walking around Thailand topless in their normal daily life ?.....the 1940's ? and why did the move to become more conservative actually happen in Thailand, it was a push by the rulers at the time to force the Thai nation to become more "western" so in fact the Thai cultural norms you are talking about were a Thai construct around "western norms"

one assumes you believe your a great white saviour to Thailand's morals, so may I humbly suggest you get on your white horse, bible in hand and put the rosey tinted shades on and ride off into the Sunset dear boy, because your talking absolute rubbish."

I agree, however in 1940, Western swimwear was rather conservative. I think that Thai's are still living in 1940.

tumblr_lsh5tx0i4B1qa70eyo1_500.png

2 years ago an american tourist was killed in Istanbul, does this make Istanbul an unsafe city? No in fact its safer than most cities, there are cameras everywhere.

Thailand doesn't deserve this bad publicity, and you can be sure it won't have a impact on tourist arrivals, where are those 60-70 year old sex tourists gonna go? Cambodia? yeah I bet its much safer over there.

Actually, Thailand is officially the second most dangerous place in the world to drive. If you have ever driven here, you would know why!

As for personal safety, I have never had any problems in LOS, but i try to be street smart and avoid problems. The issue here is the safety of Western kids coming here for the beach scenes in the islands. Don't know rhe numbers, but seems to be a considerable chunk of the foriegn market, and should not be confused with the Geezer Sex Trade, which is a completely different demographic! :)

Personally I agree with what he said. Its about time someone high up tells it how it is. If he had said the opposite, the UK media would be reeling of a list of similar incidents over the last few decades.

People do need to be more careful in Thailand, its not Brighton beach.

Isn't it more dangerous for guys on Brighton beach?

Den

I think I would consider it a big deal if it was me.

Den

You may notice that neither of the victims of this horrific murder fall under the category you sneeringly refer to.

Many families will be put off by the publicity that the inept handling of this case and the crass save our image above all else comments made by some in the press has generated.

You get the publicity your actions deserve.

• Like 1

I would recommmand to Brits,

spend your sea vacation in Saudi;

you'll be on save side !!

No Alcohol

no drugs

no sex,

or are there any other reason why you come here ?

Bigot and racist - sums your comments up.

Maybe you should try ISIS Caliphate - they'd love your sense of humor.

You may notice that neither of the victims of this horrific murder fall under the category you sneeringly refer to.

Many families will be put off by the publicity that the inept handling of this case and the crass save our image above all else comments made by some in the press has generated.

You get the publicity your actions deserve.

It seems young couples are not that safe in these tourist hotspots plagued with criminals and gangs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2223931/Recovering-hospital-Briton-Jack-Cole-stabbed-trying-save-girlfriend-April-Clifton-sex-attack-Thailand.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1471444/Backpackers-shot-dead-in-Thailand.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03/14/british-man-michael-raymond-thai-wife-khiri-khan_n_1344650.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/17/noemi-belanger-audrey-belanger-dead_n_1603548.html

Edited by MJP