Thai PM 'sorry' for bikini remarks after Brit murder

webfact

I do think the PM was wrong with this, I also think his apology was genuine in that I do not think he intended to hurt anyone. He is used to straight talking and says it how he sees it and with many of the "bad guys" it is the way it is.

Foot and mouth disease for sure but sometimes it is a bit refreshing to see someone without a great pr machine dictating his every move.

You are entitled to you opinion, but what it does show is what/how he thinks.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Political correctness gone mad. General Prayuth wasnt too far off the mark. He should have added excessive drinking and whatever else the young take nowadays to his equation. The reality is, if girls wear skimpy clothes (whether to intentionally look sexy or for practical purpposes) and are partying into the early hours they increase risk of being harmed. Not just here in Thailand but the world over.

• Like 2

Political correctness gone mad. General Prayuth wasnt too far off the mark. He should have added excessive drinking and whatever else the young take nowadays to his equation. The reality is, if girls wear skimpy clothes (whether to intentionally look sexy or for practical purpposes) and are partying into the early hours they increase risk of being harmed. Not just here in Thailand but the world over.

Oops you forgot to add unless they are ugly -

No junta stickers for you this "" happiness "" celebration day upcoming

Edited by Plutojames88
  • Like 1

I'm surprised none of the left wing women's rights media/journos have given him grief over the "...unless they are not beautiful." aspect of his comment.

That tag line was what got him in trouble. Is he saying, "if you're ugly, go ahead and wear the bikini, nobody will bother you." Every time someone makes a suggestion that ones apparel or behavior may be a factor in their coming to harm, there is an immediate hostile reaction. I would say to any young people coming to Thailand, be somewhat conservative in your mode of dress, and tone down the libidinous behavior. This is NOT Panama City, Florida on Spring Break.

I know if I were in the early 20's "gap year" period again (please, once was enough!) I would definitely go to the Full Moon Party and probably make an ass of myself. But the stakes are higher and the danger is far greater for young ladies. The Gen. is an old school guy, and he stuck his foot in mouth, but what he was saying had a grain of truth.

Some young and not so young tourists to tend to treat the islands as a hedonistic booze filled bucket "playground", and then the hard reality of life sometimes ruins the games. It's not nice, it's not right, but it's reality and being "PC" about it doesn't help. Yes, be direct, <deleted> "PC" ...... tell the girls...if they're going to walk around remote areas in the wee hours in a bikini, they're at risk. It's not nice, it's not right, but it's reality.

Are it the tourists that organize those booze filled bucket parties, or are it the Thais ?

No. That the streets of Thailand are littered with brothels, open bars, and whores is no way a reflection of Thai society.

It is the fault of farang tourists. But not the members of Thai Visa. They aren't tourists.

You may want to reconsider and think about the question "which came first the chicken or the egg" .

The egg.....

give him credit for stepping up and apologizing...hopefully it will set an example to the many who deny, lie and run from responsibility

Don't get carried away. He did'nt step up, he was dragged up !

yeah probably..but at least he publicly faced the music instead of hiding out of fear of losing face as so ,many others out here will do

• Like 1

Seeing foreigners without much clothing on away from the beach is not very polite Thai culturally. I can see where he is coming from.

Thai culture, now if you go back, about 100 years, many Thai women wore only a waist high sarong... bare breasted, this changed after Europeans started coming in larger numbers...so culture wise...topless is the way to go.

• Like 2

To Mr PM I know your an honorable man but Your not Familiar to customs and protcols Of other countries Understandable after all you been in military a long time. I suggest you refrain from issuing statements on subjects you don't deal with on a daily routine. Leave that to subordinate's That way you don't lose face and can correct them. You have an idea on how to make Thailand better and now have proof on how poorly the Thai Royal Police are Make the changes while you can put Thailand on the right track Lead like you did in the military.

• Like 2

Two young people were murdered. Two families are suffering unimaginable grief.

Any other comments that do not help the situation should not be made. He is a leader (unelected) of a country. He should conduct himself accordingly.

He is a leader (unelected) of a country

while the (elected) leaders used to be scumbags

To Mr PM I know your an honorable man but Your not Familiar to customs and protcols Of other countries Understandable after all you been in military a long time. I suggest you refrain from issuing statements on subjects you don't deal with on a daily routine. Leave that to subordinate's That way you don't lose face and can correct them. You have an idea on how to make Thailand better and now have proof on how poorly the Thai Royal Police are Make the changes while you can put Thailand on the right track Lead like you did in the military.

You and me are not in the position to give him advice.

But anyway, this would be a good one

And I, too believe he is an honorable man

• Like 1

Seeing foreigners without much clothing on away from the beach is not very polite Thai culturally. I can see where he is coming from.

Thai culture, now if you go back, about 100 years, many Thai women wore only a waist high sarong... bare breasted, this changed after Europeans started coming in larger numbers...so culture wise...topless is the way to go.

Now that would have been quite a sight. I guess we missed the mark. Bad timing. Oh well.

Now that would have been quite a sight. I guess we missed the mark. Bad timing. Oh well.

Oh for the "good 'ol" days..... westernisation sucks.

Prayut Chan-O-Cha, is a General.

Although my personal belief is that he is a good soldier and a good man and cares to the outmost for his country,

He is not a politician and he is not a diplomat.

He should have never accepted the position of PM.

He should have chosen people with experience for this position while he could command from the background.

Cracks started appearing in his administration and that because of lack of any political experience.

He has to realize that you don't run a country as you run the army.

The sooner he realizes that the better for him and Thailand.

Hope he doesn't fall in the same trap that all dictators have fallen and that is the thirst for power trap.

My recollections of the Thai PM's of the past 25 years show no shortage of foot in mouth pronouncements, followed by intense face saving back pedaling. Compared to several this is a rather mild and innocuous comment.

Just to mention 2

" I will never devalue the baht". Followed by devaluation and the Asian tiger crash

" there is no avian disease in Thailand." Followed by 10's of thousands of birds bing culled.

This is a cultural faux pas relative to the western sensibilities, not one of the man himself.

And most of us get warned about going around under-dressed here,

and about how young drunk Thai guys act around under dressed women at night.

I didn't read the PM's comments as insulting women, but more insulting

to the class of young Thai men with no self control when drinking. This is NOT the west.

They hold in their anger as SOP bad taste unless drunk, then they get a pass culturally

to be aggressive, till they sober up.

The westerners seem to have taken his translated words differently than it might be seen here.

Just saying.

Edited by petercool
edited on request of poster
  • Like 1

I think that by changing hats so soon from General to PM, he has not had time to use politicians diplomacy regarding, what you blurt out !

I hope we are not going to see a new trend in his making now, inept remarks about very serious issues, like his predecessors did.

I'm sure it's already been said, but the apology is meaningless because his remark has already exposed his true xenophobic nature and lack of intelligence. He is still scratching head and wondering why the people around him have told him to apologize. Not a clue of what he's done wrong.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm surprised none of the left wing women's rights media/journos have given him grief over the "...unless they are not beautiful." aspect of his comment.

You really think that this is a left wing conspiracy? Wow. The Daily Mail - in case you missed it - is hardly a "left wing" newspaper.

The community on TVF is predominantly far right-wing. Always baffling, but extremely predictable.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

Just another case of foot in mouth. Not what was intended but what he really thought.

I am sorry to tell the General was right women are not safe in Bikinis anywhere in the World.

Go to Jail and in United States and speak to the inmates and they the rapist will tell you the say.

I bet you never spoke to a rapist or killer so what will you know.

I know you a nice fellow and they will be safe around you

Well aside from inferring victims look for trouble ( like typical westerner sinners)

He cashes in on the Thai perception their organised prostitution rackets in Thailand are our doing.

We force them somehow to build cities like Pattaya .

Which this good moral virtuous leader insists will be eradicated of all sin.

We shall see.

Hypocrisy , seems to be abundant in Thai commentary .

But in this instance it's grossly repugnant and vile.

And he ought to bow down in shame and keep his mouth closed and arrest the Thais obviously behind this.

Instead of focusing on westerners and whoever else will do to prevent the world from discovering the xenophobic hatred for us through out this nation - from leader down .

Wow.

You deciphered all that from such a simple comment?

Do you think you might be mixing it all up with your own baggage?

I'm sure it's already been said, but the apology is meaningless because his remark has already exposed his true xenophobic nature and lack of intelligence. He is still scratching head and wondering why the people around him have told him to apologize. Not a clue of what he's done wrong.

Lack of intelligence?

Are you joking?

In less than a year he has very successfully turned this country around to a sustainable path and managed to outwit many sophisticated influential organizations that were all on the dole. Not the least of which was The last PM and her brother.

Just because you disagree with a man you assume he lacks intelligence? What happens when its shown he has intelligence? Where does that leave you?

• Like 2

You almost feel sorry for the guy, he is so far out of his depth.

My sense of it is that a man this powerful could say just about anything to his subordinates in the army, and get away with it. But, now he is coming to terms with the fact that he is being judged on a world stage, and is living in a glass house. He has to consider diplomacy, if he wants to be taken seriously. Otherwise, he will be regarded as just another goon, constantly uttering silly statements, like Kim Jung, Mugabe, Khomeini, Xi Jinping, Gaddafi, etc.

Don't forget George W Bush #43.

He had some classic guffaws.

I am very very impressed with the general. He made a mistake and he acted responsible very quickly. That is what a good leader is supposed to do. Despite the silly remark, he came out much stronger. Has finally Thailand found a good leader after decades of mismanagement? This is looking promising. My dream would be if he could turn into Thailand's Lee Kuan Yew.

Let's see what the other Thai PMs would have done in the same situation:

Yingluck: "No comment."

Thaksin: "I said nothing wrong because UN is not my father."

Abhisit: "I have been misconstrued grammatically. It's only academic."

Lack of intelligence?

Are you joking?

In less than a year he has very successfully turned this country around to a sustainable path and managed to outwit many sophisticated influential organizations that were all on the dole. Not the least of which was The last PM and her brother.

Just because you disagree with a man you assume he lacks intelligence? What happens when its shown he has intelligence? Where does that leave you?

I'm not agreeing that he is 'stupid', to be clear; that is far too simple a reaction, certainly. However, your description is absurdly oversimplified and too resembling of propaganda to be respectable. This events you are referring to were based on military force, not the clever design or righteousness you attribute to them. You have a right to your opinion, of course. But, the propaganda you're repeating doesn't seem to be of much reflection.

Regarding another comment of yours, "Don't forget George W Bush #43. He had some classic guffaws." - that is true; but the last thing the world needs is another George Bush.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

That tag line was what got him in trouble. Is he saying, "if you're ugly, go ahead and wear the bikini, nobody will bother you." Every time someone makes a suggestion that ones apparel or behavior may be a factor in their coming to harm, there is an immediate hostile reaction. I would say to any young people coming to Thailand, be somewhat conservative in your mode of dress, and tone down the libidinous behavior. This is NOT Panama City, Florida on Spring Break.

I know if I were in the early 20's "gap year" period again (please, once was enough!) I would definitely go to the Full Moon Party and probably make an ass of myself. But the stakes are higher and the danger is far greater for young ladies. The Gen. is an old school guy, and he stuck his foot in mouth, but what he was saying had a grain of truth.

He is admitting that he believes men have a problem with self control when faced with a beautiful woman.

I believe the burkha is justified with the same logic.