Can Thai debit cards be used online?

I use my bangkok bank card online but you have to have it set up by the bank, the one they issue you with will not work online. Just go to the bank that issued it and tell them you want to use it online and they will help you with the paperwork. If you are outside bangkok you will have to wait for it to be sent off and processed.

No it's not true as posters above mention.

Not all sellers will accept them though.

As for the choice between debit and credit card, I'd go with the credit card any time. It can be a real pain in the backside if something goes wrong in your payment. Once processed the debit card takes it direct from your account, whereas the credit card gives you time to correct mistakes before you make payment. Happened to me once in Vietnam using a Vietnamese debit card to book air tickets from a Middle East airline. They had a technical issue on the airline website and I ended up the money being taken more than once from my account. A real pain explaining the problem, and then the wait to get my money refunded. Both the airline (overseas "helpline" of course :) ) and the bank were claiming I should contact the other party to get the refund, and it took a while for them to sort it out. Luckily I was actually doing a contract for the bank, so I could get my staff to investigate, after I failed to make much progress by myself. The refund still took a while though.

Cheers

Fletch :)

Have used my BKK Bank Be 1st Debit/ATM card online for years with no problems. Never had to do anything with the bank to enable this option. As with any debit card, the concern of remedying a transaction bears keeping in mind.

But, cannot purchase flight tickets online with it, or? Air Asia ect. ?

Thank you.

Have used my BKK Bank Be 1st Debit/ATM card online for years with no problems. Never had to do anything with the bank to enable this option. As with any debit card, the concern of remedying a transaction bears keeping in mind.

But, cannot purchase flight tickets online with it, or? Air Asia ect. ?

Thank you.

What in my post suggests that you can't do that? The answer is yes, you can ?

Thank you, nothing suggest it in your Posting, but in the Posting from others in that thread and

what I read in other threads beforehand.

So, I have a new Bangkok Bank Debit Card Be1st with chip and without any other contact and adjustment,

it can be used purchasing Air Asia and other Budget Airlines flight tickets?

Really? Great, if true, I will try soon. wink.png

Some can be, some can't. It's merchant driven, so it's a case of suck it and see I'm afraid. Kasikorn do a specific Web Shopping card, but not guarantees either way. Your chances are better if its a Visa. Mines a MasterCard and its flaky.

I use my bangkok bank card online but you have to have it set up by the bank, the one they issue you with will not work online. Just go to the bank that issued it and tell them you want to use it online and they will help you with the paperwork. If you are outside bangkok you will have to wait for it to be sent off and processed.

Not accurate. Just call them and you can register the card for online use over the phone.

I have a Kasikorn Visa Debit Card and it works fine sometimes e.g. booked a flight to Turkey no problem. However sometimes for smaller purchases Kasikorn asks for additional confirmation by asking yo to request a one time code and this has proved to be hit and miss e.g. it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. When it hasn't worked I have gone into Kasikorn with hard copy prints showing the various stages and they have been of little help. And yes you do have to have it set up to make on-line purchases but they will do that for you via the ATM.

You may have your purchase questioned at times, as Thailand has a low rating for fraud issues. I've had vendors simply ignore my purchase, and once had a CS rep tell me directly that my purchase was fraudulent. I asked him to repeat louder so my lawyer could hear. He bumped me to the front office quickly. They gave me a list of requirements (copy of passport, etc.) to accept my money. I walked, and their competitor got my business.

Hi,

I use KTB and had to get the bank to free up (and then I had to confirm myself online the verified by visa) feature by contacting head office and registering online to allow purchases of air tickets, hotel bookings etc.

I have a debit card from Krungsri but without my own name on it, but "Privileged Member" instead.

I always wondered if it would works online ? For buying online I use my HSBC credit card.

By the way in Europe I had never seen any debit/credit card without name of holder?

I have used debit for years. Yes, there can be problems purchasing flights with debit cards, particularly as you near the flight date. Some rental car companies will not accept debit cards. If you use a debit to make a purchase or maybe hold an item, then pay differently, it can take a bit of time before the account is credited or the hold released.

Whoever told you that is talking nonsense. Debit cards have taken longer than credit cards to become viable means of payment online, but both do work.

One thing re BBL: I use KK but have found in the past with BBL that, incredibly, I needed to call them right at the end of the transaction to obtain a password. A Thai message in garbled English right at that point doesn't help much. I assume they now use SMS OTPs.

I can confirm that you get your visa the same day, the application drop off time frame is between 9 AM to 11 AM, and the pickup time is 3:30 PM, although I was able to get it at 3 PM.

The worst part of the trip is the 12 hour bus ride each way. I took a VIP bus, and actually it was a little shorter, some of the 12 hours was consumed getting through immigration on both sides.

Costs (in baht unless otherwise stated)

1. Nana to Mo Chit BTS: ~40
  2. Motorcycle taxi to Mo Chit bus terminal, about 3 km: 60
  3. VIP Bus to Mukdahon: 680 (it was Tuesday, around 10:20pm)
  4. Mukdahon bus over bridge, all the way to Savannakhet: 45 baht
    1. 2 stops and boards. On one stop I was almost left behind, although apparently more buses are going through as well

5. Laos Immigration: $35
    1. no 40 baht bribe was asked for

6. Tuk Tuk to Thai Consulate: 80 baht
    1. I was ripped off, the price is 40

7. The fee for the nonimmigrant educational visa application: 2000 baht
  8. Big coconut drink: 40 baht
  9. Internet café, 15 baht per hour, 30 baht for my 2 hours
  10. Tuk tuk back to Thai Consulate: 40 baht
  11. Tuk tuk back to bus station: 40 baht
  12. Bus over bridge back to Savannaknet: 50 baht
    1. Bus was supposed to leave at 3:30 PM, but left at 3:27 pm probably because it was already full

13. VIP bus back to Bangkok: 600 baht
    1. I was the very first person to order a ticket and got the worst seats with the least leg room. I was able to trade seats but for the future, I should allow some other people to purchase a bus ticket before me so I'm not one of the unlucky 3 to sit on the worst row

14. Taxi back to Diamond Tools apartment: 105 + 50 highway toll: 155
    1. The taxi drivers rushing the bus wanted 400. Other taxi drivers were quoting 300. There was a motorcycle taxi who wanted 300, dropped to 200, finally went down to 180
    2. Because I had a reasonable idea of the drive, I thought a car taxi would be cheaper, or perhaps slightly more expensive but still everything shown on the meter. It paid off

Subtotal: 3860 baht + $35

~$121 + $35 = $156

A Kasikorn ATM/visa electron debit card can be enabled for online use in a Kasikorn ATM.

Works almost every time and when it didn't I used my Kasikorn virtual credit card applied for though Internet banking. Go Green...Go Kasikorn. Best bank ever, and I've tried many here.

I have a debit card from Krungsri but without my own name on it, but "Privileged Member" instead.

I always wondered if it would works online ? For buying online I use my HSBC credit card.

By the way in Europe I had never seen any debit/credit card without name of holder?

Yep that "privileged member" thing annoys the f*** out of me. Kasikorn do the same and when I asked them to put my name and my photo on the card they said can only do one or other. Chose name and first time they shortened my surname. 2nd go they left out middle name and it is now OK.

Not accurate. Just call them and you can register the card for online use over the phone.

ok well i just got off the phone with bbk i have debt card with chip.she said card was fine but and this is i big but not all online will take debt cards. remindes me of back in usa a few years ago they use to do that , but soon changed it all so the debt cards act as well as credit cards. thank god for that. also i tried to use the bbk card in other atms for cash .didnt work on any but bbk. witch sucks. because some times cash is best . so i am keeping a fair share in usa account so i can use it any where in the world. to bad bbk cant do it like the big boys do.

i thought they where the biggest bank in thailand

Thank you, nothing suggest it in your Posting, but in the Posting from others in that thread and

So, I have a new Bangkok Bank Debit Card Be1st with chip and without any other contact and adjustment,

One of the few good things about Air Asia is that when purchase a ticket you can get a receipt and pay the ticket in a 7-11, very easy a many times cheaper charge than a creditcard-charge

The last sentence is not correct. I live and bank in Chiang Mai and on Tuesday of this week was issued with a card in Pattaya that serves both ATM and on-line purchases. It had to be set up by the bank and it took all of ten minutes The Bangkok Bank in Silom Road Bangkok informed me that as my account was held outside of Bangkok that I could go to any Bangkok Bank elsewhere in Thailand but not within Bangkok. this is because I was told there are different rules for Bangkok as opposed to the rest of Thailand.

One of the few good things about Air Asia is that when purchase a ticket you can get a receipt and pay the ticket in a 7-11, very easy a many times cheaper charge than a creditcard-charge

So, differently to some posters writing here,

you have to make first some adjustments with the Bangkok Bank Be1st Debit card, before you can use her in Internet, can do that with Internet and your mobile together.

Regarding Air Asia, I just checked, cannot use Bangkok Bank Debit card in Internet.

But I am astonished,

the Newcomer, LION AIR Thailand, has a lot more possibilities to pay online - also with Bangkok Bank Debit card and on ATM to and more! thumbsup.gif