Front crash/bull bars

fifa

Never mind air bags, what about the little Thai kid you knock over at as little as 5mph, with bull bars you probably kill him, without you probably don't.

At 5mph why would the kid now die with a bullbar versus without ?

If anything the larger frontal area of the bullbar the kid would bounce instead of going under the car vehicle.

Deffo a contender for the most facile post of the thread award.

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the bullbars I have seen are bolted to the chassis under the radiator cross member. It's totally absurd. There should be a rail on each side running back to the chassis under the cab with the rail bolted in at least 2 places. Well it makes sense to me. And the bullbar can be made a lot stronger.

Heck yeah yeehaa! y'all wouldn't want to run the risk of not completely pulverising that kid on his wave!

Get serious, if a driver can't stop in a metre from 5 kph when he see's the kid .....the driver need some serious help.

All the bullbars I have seen are bolted to the chassis under the radiator cross member. It's totally absurd. There should be a rail on each side running back to the chassis under the cab with the rail bolted in at least 2 places. Well it makes sense to me. And the bullbar can be made a lot stronger.

Heck yeah yeehaa! y'all wouldn't want to run the risk of not completely pulverising that kid on his wave!

Get serious, if a driver can't stop in a metre from 5 kph when he see's the kid .....the driver need some serious help.

More likely you need help in understanding what happens when a car stops in an emergency....

Many drivers, drive in a false belief that if the car in front suddenly started braking, they would react and brake and end up stopped the same distance apart.

The total stopping distance of a vehicle is made up of 4 components.

Human Perception Time

Human Reaction Time

Vehicle Reaction Time

Vehicle Braking Capability

Bullbars are dangerous! if you can't understand that, so are you!

• Like 1

Bullbars are dangerous! if you can't understand that, so are you!

I have nudge bars fitted on my 10 year old Isuzu, they were on the car when I bought it, and I must say that the front one in particular has save me from damage to lights and bodywork a couple of times when I've parked too close to a wall.

post-130068-0-18159100-1411356873_thumb.

post-130068-0-41594600-1411356900_thumb.

I think the OP wanted something for added protection as opposed to ornamental......

Yes.....we can worry about the what if there is contact with a motortbike but very few happen at low speeds.....most of the lower speed stuff happens to sides of the vehicle where they try and squeeze by or straight when the car is making a turn.....

With the U turn lanes and sparse lighting in areas, animals in others I want my family as safe as possible from impact....it's not my job to have a plastic windshield so the bugs don't get hurt....it's my job to control what I can, as best I can under many different driving conditions......

I'm not a big fan of bolt on brush guards and some of the nerf bars seen on vehicles.....many times they detract from the appearance of the vehicle + vibrate loose/rust or cause more damage to the vehicle than it would receive under moderate impact by bending back into the vehicle.....

That's why I've had - and still use ARB bumpers.....

I also do not like driving smaller cars - the theory of mass always wins..... 98% of the time the wife's Honda stays in the driveway......

Edited by pgrahmm

You worry too much pgrahmm, the 18 Wheeler will hit your roly- poly truck whilst the Mrs nipped out the way in the sharp handler.thumbsup.gif .Win some, loose some.

That may be so - but we had one in the club hit by a Ford F350 dually (drunk) doing 70 downhill.....the car hit was doing 55 uphill and the two people in the car that was hit survived (one broken hip - other 2 days in hospital) - and of course the drunk survived.....

I stay dutifully away from 18 wheelers......

In CA - for cars we have 2 - 4x4's & 1- Lexus sports car - I can zip extremely well in the Lexus but feel safer in the 4x4's.......I like the road visability......

No motor now has a front bumper, it has to pass crash tests INCLUDING hitting a pedestrian. Put one of those things on and all that research is out the window. You hit someone, your problem..whistling.gif

bullbar or no bullbar if you hit a pedestrian it is always gunna be your problem.

Toyota sell them as genuine accessories.

No motor now has a front bumper, it has to pass crash tests INCLUDING hitting a pedestrian. Put one of those things on and all that research is out the window. You hit someone, your problem..whistling.gif

bullbar or no bullbar if you hit a pedestrian it is always gunna be your problem.

So do other manufacturers, don't make it right or sensible. I ride bikes 90% of the time, if you hit me with them things u r seriously gonna <deleted> me up, without them I stand a much better chance.

So do other manufacturers, don't make it right or sensible. I ride bikes 90% of the time, if you hit me with them things u r seriously gonna <deleted> me up, without them I stand a much better chance.

Why do you put yourself in a position where getting hit by the front of the vehicle is a possibility ?

"Bullbars are dangerous! if you can't understand that, so are you!" Do I have to repeat the old sAYING about assumptions? Oh.....I do! '“When dealing with critics always remember this: Critics judge things based on what is outside of their content of understanding.” '

I ride a pushie and scooters and I know if I get hit by anything doing 40kph+, on 4 wheels or more, I will be spending a long time in hospital or a little earn on the wife's mantel piece. At 5kph it probably gravel rash and hurt pride.

"Bullbars are dangerous! if you can't understand that, so are you!" Do I have to repeat the old sAYING about assumptions? Oh.....I do! '“When dealing with critics always remember this: Critics judge things based on what is outside of their content of understanding.” '

I ride a pushie and scooters and I know if I get hit by anything doing 40kph+, on 4 wheels or more, I will be spending a long time in hospital or a little earn on the wife's mantel piece. At 5kph it probably gravel rash and hurt pride.

It seems you still have a lot to learn.

• Like 1

Why do you put yourself in a position where getting hit by the front of the vehicle is a possibility ?

assuming that there are other drivers besides Spoonman who subscribe to those "Spoonman school of motoring" theories - (and it wouldn't take many) - it would mean the possibilities of being in that situation are far to large for day-to-day off the cuff calculation and could only be avoided by staying indoors.....and even then the chances wouldn't be zero.

• Like 1

Whats a Toyota dealer got to do with safety, or any other car dealership in Thailand.They are all prepared to deliver a new Vehicle to a dumb customer who has chosen illegal tinted glass. You can see them on any Forecourt awaiting their new idiot whoes only care is for looks, and themself. Just like Bull Bar Lovers.

• Like 2

Whats a Toyota dealer got to do with safety, or any other car dealership in Thailand.They are all prepared to deliver a new Vehicle to a dumb customer who has chosen illegal tinted glass. You can see them on any Forecourt awaiting their new idiot whoes only care is for looks, and themself. Just like Bull Bar Lovers.

I assume that is directed at me because I mentioned Toyota sell them as OE accessories.

I was not talking about Thailand but hey, never let a chance to show your Thai hatred though.

I assume that is directed at me because I mentioned Toyota sell them as OE accessories.

I was not talking about Thailand but hey, never let a chance to show your Thai hatred though.

That comment is below the belt.

how so ?

Every opportunity AOP can get he digs the boot into the Thais with what ever mod they have done that is not within accordance to his personal taste.

how so ?

Every opportunity AOP can get he digs the boot into the Thais with what ever mod they have done that is not within accordance to his personal taste.

You have a confusion between "Hate" and "taste", AoP does not hate Thai folk but might have issues with their 4 wheel stuff, so do I....laugh.png Noooooooothing to do with hate...

So, why don't you en-lighten all of us with your pool of knowledge. I am sure it won't take more than a paragraph.

So, why don't you en-lighten all of us with your pool of knowledge. I am sure it won't take more than a paragraph.

Oh dear! most of the posters on this thread ALREADY are up to speed on this issue, and we don't need to rely on the good people of Thai visa to furnish us with the background information.

Why bother to post unfounded opinions? If you need to know even Google will supply you with a plethora of info, from motoring orgs, government web sites and various Universities that have published research on this stuff.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but it isn't my job to teach you, it's up to you to educate yourself. (you are an adult?)

Until then you will find that people are going to find your posts on this subject ill-informed inadequate and incomplete.....and they will in all probability say so.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Jeez - by now I've forgotten who's for and who's against......and I'm not reading through this mess again to find out.....now that we are down to the biting and hair pulling I think the OP has enough info/food for thought to decide what he wants.....

Jeez - by now I've forgotten who's for and who's against......and I'm not reading through this mess again to find out.....now that we are down to the biting and hair pulling I think the OP has enough info/food for thought to decide what he wants.....

I actually think the OP got one answer, and that was ARB.