Scotland votes no to independence

webfact

Yes I am Scottish and if I had the opportunity I think you have probably guessed I would have voted

YES, but unfortunately the rules of the referendum did not allow me to be elegible to vote sadly.sad.png

Do you not feel a shade robbed by your own country?

Which happened first -- he abandoned his country or his country abandoned him ? wink.png

Neither jp I still have a flat in Scotland and although not resident ( the reason I could not vote )

I am still paying Uk tax on my pension and would have been more than happy to be paying that

tax to an independent Scottish government. But because of the naysayers it is going into the

coffer of Westminister to be squandered as usual, not unlike the money from the Scottish oil.

I won't go into details pj, but if you had sorted out your affairs before leaving, you would now have a postal vote wink.png

Thought to vote you needed to be resident for three months?

Only just started living in Thailand on a permanent basis myself and will pay tax in Thailand.

Define "resident" wink.png

Believe to vote resident meant you lived in Scottish borders. English, Scottish or from an EU country was ok. Sorry missed out Welsh and Irish.

"lived in" - definitions are slippèry. I understood that it was the electoral roll, plus those "foreigners" and 16-18 year olds who could prove they had been living in Scotland for the immediately preceding 3 months. I did hear of a "foreigner" who registered, voted, and went home to his country on the next day,,,, :(

• Like 1

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, sectarianism was pretty well established in Glasgow before the referendum.

Never quite got the gist of sectarianism. Should I take note or ignore? Visited Scotland a couple of times, good fun. As an English person a few comments were made but could always defuse the situation and have a joke or two. Have no problem with a Scot myself.

@ phuketjock,,

you the scotish always mention scotish oil,,,,,

is that it,,

ive worked in scotland many many time for many years,, on the oil refineries and power stations,,

when they were going to shut grangemouth who was going to come up with the money to keep it open for you jocks,,,,,,

oh yes the same westminster you dont like taking money,,

get real mate, scotland wouldnt stand a chance alone,,

whos embassy would you use here?

they should ask the english now if they want scotland, and ide bet it would be nearer then you lot got,,

• Like 2

Yes I am Scottish and if I had the opportunity I think you have probably guessed I would have voted

YES, but unfortunately the rules of the referendum did not allow me to be elegible to vote sadly.sad.png

Do you not feel a shade robbed by your own country?

Which happened first -- he abandoned his country or his country abandoned him ? wink.png

Neither jp I still have a flat in Scotland and although not resident ( the reason I could not vote )

I am still paying Uk tax on my pension and would have been more than happy to be paying that

tax to an independent Scottish government. But because of the naysayers it is going into the

coffer of Westminister to be squandered as usual, not unlike the money from the Scottish oil.

I won't go into details pj, but if you had sorted out your affairs before leaving, you would now have a postal vote wink.png

Only just started living in Thailand on a permanent basis myself and will pay tax in Thailand.

None of my business and I dont know your circumstances, but why the heck would you want to pay tax in Thailand?

• Like 1

@ phuketjock,,

you the scotish always mention scotish oil,,,,,

is that it,,

ive worked in scotland many many time for many years,, on the oil refineries and power stations,,

when they were going to shut grangemouth who was going to come up with the money to keep it open for you jocks,,,,,,

oh yes the same westminster you dont like taking money,,

get real mate, scotland wouldnt stand a chance alone,,

whos embassy would you use here?

they should ask the english now if they want scotland, and ide bet it would be nearer then you lot got,,

Cant wait for the Shetlanders to declare independance from Scotland and take their oil with them.

No Westminster to bail them out, the country is a basket case just like Eire that had to be bailed out to the tune of 8 billion quid by Brit taxpayers, see Iceland for details.

• Like 2

Such an embarrasment. I supposed i should be happy to call myself British;better than calling myself Scottish.

Considering the vote in favour of staying as a member of the UK. Should the Scottish people now once and for all accept "God save the Queen" as their national anthem. In the six nations will the Scottish be laughed at if they continue to sing "Flower of Scotland."

How exactly after this vote can at least 54% of the Scottish supporters sing these lines in the Scottish Anthem

"But we can still rise now

And be the nation again"

Seriously, I can see the England supporters at least, laughing out loud when the Scottish start to sing their Anthem

Its a point that Salmond was very dismissive about , I wonder why , but the Shetland and Orkney Islanders had made it very clear that they were perfectly happy being part of the UK.

If it is Scottish oil ( rather than British ) based solely on geography then the Northern Isles would have exactly the same claim , where would that have left the Scots ?

I would also argue that the youth and workers are less likely or too busy to turn up to the polls on poling day compared with grannies and grandads with nothing better to do and an army of volunteers to drive them, so again, maybe more pause for thought.

The polling stations were open from 7am-10pm, and the majority of 16-21yr olds voted Yes I believe.

Such an embarrasment. I supposed i should be happy to call myself British;better than calling myself Scottish.

Considering the vote in favour of staying as a member of the UK. Should the Scottish people now once and for all accept "God save the Queen" as their national anthem. In the six nations will the Scottish be laughed at if they continue to sing "Flower of Scotland."

How exactly after this vote can at least 54% of the Scottish supporters sing these lines in the Scottish Anthem

"But we can still rise now

And be the nation again"

Seriously, I can see the England supporters at least, laughing out loud when the Scottish start to sing their Anthem

Again people like you, are the ones who will encourage the continuous hate and narrow minded ness of the Nationalist. Where do you come from, and that of your parents?.

Its a point that Salmond was very dismissive about , I wonder why , but the Shetland and Orkney Islanders had made it very clear that they were perfectly happy being part of the UK.

If it is Scottish oil ( rather than British ) based solely on geography then the Northern Isles would have exactly the same claim , where would that have left the Scots ?

True!, The reason is that the Shetland and Orkney isles only became part of the Scottish crown in approximately 1470, before the union of the crowns in 1603, so not very long. They have spent most of their time as part of the Nordic kingdoms and in fact many of the people of these isles have a DNA match closer to that of the people of Scandinavia, rather than the people of Scotland.

Interestingly due to suggestions that the Isle might want to remain part of the UK or go for independence in the event of Scottish separation, some Scottish Nationalist declared that unlike Scotland the isle should not have the right to choose their future, this seemingly din't go down well with the islanders themselves, as shown when they voted 2-1 to remain in the union.

• Like 1

None of my business and I dont know your circumstances, but why the heck would you want to pay tax in Thailand?

To become a Thai citizen.

PhuketJock

Please explain why the Barnett formula is neccessary if The Scottish parliament gets tax raising powers. Its no good trying the Salmond trick of blaming everything on nasty English tories , even the majority of Scots have now seen through that.

Barnett is hugely unfair to certain less prosperous parts of the UK , notably Wales and the North East of England.

Further devolution means Scotland taking financial responsibility , good luck expecting that from Salmond.

No where in my post did I support or criticise the merits of the Barnett formula I merely

pointed out that the Tory,Labour, and Liberal Democrat leaders in West minister Vowed

on the front page of a popular Scottish tabloid prior to the referendum vote that Scotland

would still be eligible for payment under the existing Barnett formula and also promised

further tax/revenue raising powers to the Scottish government if there was a NO vote.

Now there is already murmers of denying that promise by the very person, I discovered

on the news last night, that has been put in charge of the negotiations with the Scottish

government on the new devolution powers for that government William Hague.

I fear the cowardly NO voters have very little idea of the depth of their betrayal of the nation

of Scotland, but I am quite positive it will not be very long before even they realise the grave

misjustice they have done their counrty.

A sad sad day for them and Scotland..................................facepalm.gifsad.png

Don't like to assume but seems you may be Scottish? How did you vote? Yes, No?

Had that been the case, I would have voted No - they missed the boat.(which was then sunk)

Imagine then, what the oil could have done for a Scotland which chose independence in the mid 1970s and claimed ownership of the reserves.

Thirty years ago, Professor McCrone answered that very question and his conclusions shocked his political masters.

Although BP first discovered the giant Forties oilfield in 1970 - which by 1977 was producing 500,000 barrels of oil a day, equivalent to a quarter of Nigeria's entire daily production - the real rush for "black gold" had only begun around 1973, when the Yom Kippur War caused a crisis in the Middle East and forced prices up to around $16 a barrel.

By the time the oil companies realised that North Sea drilling was not only cost-effective but highly lucrative, and the British government realised it was sitting on a gold mine, the Scottish nationalists had already laid claim to the oil.

The "It's Scotland's Oil" campaign began in 1972. If only they had seen the professor's research.

An independent Scotland's budget surpluses as a result of the oil boom, wrote Professor McCrone, would be so large as to be "embarrassing".

Scotland's currency "would become the hardest in Europe, with the exception perhaps of the Norwegian Kronor." From being poorer than their southern neighbours, Scots would quite possibly become richer. Scotland would be in a position to lend heavily to England and "this situation could last for a very long time into the future."

In short, the oil would put the British boot, after centuries of resentment, firmly on the foot standing north of the border.

Within days of its receipt at Westminster in 1974, Professor McCrone's document was judged as incendiary and classified as secret. It would be sat upon for the next thirty years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/how-black-gold-was-hijacked-north-sea-oil-and-the-betrayal-of-scotland-518697.html

• Like 1

oil oil oil,, thats all you here,,

ship building why dont you mention that,?

why becouse its england who sent the work there, and it would of gone back to england,,,

i really dont think salmon thought it through,,

armed forces,, youve got the scotch guards,

we all mentioned the pound,,

no lets just talk about the scotish oil,,,,,,

PhuketJock

Please explain why the Barnett formula is neccessary if The Scottish parliament gets tax raising powers. Its no good trying the Salmond trick of blaming everything on nasty English tories , even the majority of Scots have now seen through that.

Barnett is hugely unfair to certain less prosperous parts of the UK , notably Wales and the North East of England.

Further devolution means Scotland taking financial responsibility , good luck expecting that from Salmond.

No where in my post did I support or criticise the merits of the Barnett formula I merely

pointed out that the Tory,Labour, and Liberal Democrat leaders in West minister Vowed

on the front page of a popular Scottish tabloid prior to the referendum vote that Scotland

would still be eligible for payment under the existing Barnett formula and also promised

further tax/revenue raising powers to the Scottish government if there was a NO vote.

Now there is already murmers of denying that promise by the very person, I discovered

on the news last night, that has been put in charge of the negotiations with the Scottish

government on the new devolution powers for that government William Hague.

I fear the cowardly NO voters have very little idea of the depth of their betrayal of the nation

of Scotland, but I am quite positive it will not be very long before even they realise the grave

misjustice they have done their counrty.

A sad sad day for them and Scotland..................................facepalm.gifsad.png

Don't like to assume but seems you may be Scottish? How did you vote? Yes, No?

Had that been the case, I would have voted No - they missed the boat.(which was then sunk)

Imagine then, what the oil could have done for a Scotland which chose independence in the mid 1970s and claimed ownership of the reserves.

Thirty years ago, Professor McCrone answered that very question and his conclusions shocked his political masters.

Although BP first discovered the giant Forties oilfield in 1970 - which by 1977 was producing 500,000 barrels of oil a day, equivalent to a quarter of Nigeria's entire daily production - the real rush for "black gold" had only begun around 1973, when the Yom Kippur War caused a crisis in the Middle East and forced prices up to around $16 a barrel.

By the time the oil companies realised that North Sea drilling was not only cost-effective but highly lucrative, and the British government realised it was sitting on a gold mine, the Scottish nationalists had already laid claim to the oil.

The "It's Scotland's Oil" campaign began in 1972. If only they had seen the professor's research.

An independent Scotland's budget surpluses as a result of the oil boom, wrote Professor McCrone, would be so large as to be "embarrassing".

Scotland's currency "would become the hardest in Europe, with the exception perhaps of the Norwegian Kronor." From being poorer than their southern neighbours, Scots would quite possibly become richer. Scotland would be in a position to lend heavily to England and "this situation could last for a very long time into the future."

In short, the oil would put the British boot, after centuries of resentment, firmly on the foot standing north of the border.

Within days of its receipt at Westminster in 1974, Professor McCrone's document was judged as incendiary and classified as secret. It would be sat upon for the next thirty years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/how-black-gold-was-hijacked-north-sea-oil-and-the-betrayal-of-scotland-518697.html

So according to You this report in 1974 was kept secret for 30yrs, that brings it to 2004, Ten years ago, if it was true and so inflammatory why did't the Nationalist include this in their propaganda, let's be right about this, after all they were't shy in making false stories and claims part of their appeal to those narrow minded bigots that voted for the "YES" campaign.

• Like 1

Those of us who were around at the time were very well aware of the oil potential. Westminster did everything possible to avoid losing Scotland. Why else do they continue to do this? Because the oil is still flowing strongly and the revenue lost to Westminster would be massive. They will pull every trick they can think of, including the last-minute promise voiced by Gordon Brown, which was certainly pushing the bounds of the rules on campaigning prior to the vote.

• Like 1

Those of us who were around at the time were very well aware of the oil potential. Westminster did everything possible to avoid losing Scotland. Why else do they continue to do this? Because the oil is still flowing strongly and the revenue lost to Westminster would be massive. They will pull every trick they can think of, including the last-minute promise voiced by Gordon Brown, which was certainly pushing the bounds of the rules on campaigning prior to the vote.

I assumed that's the reason Brown was used, because he was no more than a opposition back-bencher. I noticed this morning that the choice of words had changed somewhat from last week ... now, he'll "do everything he can" ...

ScreenShot2014-09-21at183818_zps56843330

• Like 1

And unfortunately jp that last minute promise was supposed to take place beginning on the

19th of September, as yet nothing has happened and I fear little or no action will be forthcoming

now that they have achieved their aim of a NO vote sadly there is no further need for any urgency.

Whats new Westminister politicians lying to the Scottish people?, but with flair this time they

collaborated on this massive lie. " We are bought and sold for English gold, such a parcel 'O rogues

in a nation " Rabbie was still right after all these years. When will those naysayers learn???

facepalm.gif

pigeonjake

Platinum Member

Advanced Members

PipPipPipPipPipPip

2,379 posts

Posted Today, 17:51

oil oil oil,, thats all you here,,

ship building why dont you mention that,?

why becouse its england who sent the work there, and it would of gone back to england,,,

i really dont think salmon thought it through,,

armed forces,, youve got the scotch guards,

we all mentioned the pound,,

no lets just talk about the scotish oil,,,,,,

END QUOTE =========================>>

You can keep the shipbuilding if you relinquish your claim to the Scotland's oil. ;)

• Like 1

Like I said before, many of the Yes camp were getting g their excuses in long before the actual vote, and many, here at least, are still making feeble excuses for losing.

Why can you not simply accept that the majority of the Scottish people want to remain part of the UK?

As for reneging on the vow; phuketjock, despite liking rajyindee's post, you can't have read all of it. Otherwise you would not have missed the bit about the civil service already starting work on this to ensure legislation was ready for January in the, uncredited, report he quoted!

See also Miliband vows to fulfil Scottish devolution pledge

Ed Miliband has said the pledge of further devolution to Scotland will be fulfilled "no ifs, no buts" amid a row over additional powers for England.

He said he and other leaders made a "clear" pledge of new powers during the referendum and they must "honour" it.

No 10 has made it clear that it will not renege on its Scottish commitments.

You'll see that Salmond, despite resigning, can't resist putting his oar in; but the Scottish people have shown at the ballot box that they believe little, if anything, he has to say!

• Like 1

Oh Please , the feigned shock horror that politicians from the no brigade may have twisted the truth, those nasty English lying to the poor downtrodden Scots once again !!!

For goodness sake do you think the Nationalists didnt lie , do you think Salmond truly believed even half of the wildly optimistic claims he made about a future independent Scottish economy?

Here is an idea , why dont all the British pull together instead of constantly whining , some of you still believe that London is paved with gold and every cockney has a butler to serve him his Light ale and Champagne.

• Like 2

Like I said before, many of the Yes camp were getting g their excuses in long before the actual vote, and many, here at least, are still making feeble excuses for losing.

Why can you not simply accept that the majority of the Scottish people want to remain part of the UK?

As for reneging on the vow; phuketjock, despite liking rajyindee's post, you can't have read all of it. Otherwise you would not have missed the bit about the civil service already starting work on this to ensure legislation was ready for January in the, uncredited, report he quoted!

See also Miliband vows to fulfil Scottish devolution pledge

Ed Miliband has said the pledge of further devolution to Scotland will be fulfilled "no ifs, no buts" amid a row over additional powers for England.

He said he and other leaders made a "clear" pledge of new powers during the referendum and they must "honour" it.

No 10 has made it clear that it will not renege on its Scottish commitments.

You'll see that Salmond, despite resigning, can't resist putting his oar in; but the Scottish people have shown at the ballot box that they believe little, if anything, he has to say!

And pigs will fly.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Apart from Gordon Brown seeming to be the only one who knows " processes are underway "

I believe parliament is in recess and closed which means your so called civil servants are all on

holiday until parliament resumes, so little chance of anything happening for sometime yet. facepalm.gif

And unfortunately jp that last minute promise was supposed to take place beginning on the

19th of September, as yet nothing has happened and I fear little or no action will be forthcoming

now that they have achieved their aim of a NO vote sadly there is no further need for any urgency.

Whats new Westminister politicians lying to the Scottish people?, but with flair this time they

collaborated on this massive lie. " We are bought and sold for English gold, such a parcel 'O rogues

in a nation " Rabbie was still right after all these years. When will those naysayers learn???

facepalm.gif

Oh grow up!, the Scottish people voted "NO" accept it, the only thing people like you can offer is hate, if it's not for those horrible English then it must be for those Scots who prefer to live in the modern world.

• Like 1

pigeonjake Platinum Member Advanced Members PipPipPipPipPipPip 2,379 postsPosted Today, 17:51oil oil oil,, thats all you here,, ship building why dont you mention that,?why becouse its england who sent the work there, and it would of gone back to england,,, i really dont think salmon thought it through,,armed forces,, youve got the scotch guards, we all mentioned the pound,, no lets just talk about the scotish oil,,,,,,END QUOTE =========================>> You can keep the shipbuilding if you relinquish your claim to the Scotland's oil. ;)

The Scottish economy gains more from the financial sector( mostly based in Edinburgh) than it does from the dwindling oil industry, luckily for Scotland most Scots used their heads when voting, in spit of all the abuse and intimidation thrown at them by the narrow minded Nationalist.

The only certainty from this election I'm sorry to say, is the Neanderthals will continue to spew forth their their twisted view of the modern world and continue to hate those who do not agree with them.

pigeonjake Platinum Member Advanced Members PipPipPipPipPipPip 2,379 postsPosted Today, 17:51oil oil oil,, thats all you here,, ship building why dont you mention that,?why becouse its england who sent the work there, and it would of gone back to england,,, i really dont think salmon thought it through,,armed forces,, youve got the scotch guards, we all mentioned the pound,, no lets just talk about the scotish oil,,,,,,END QUOTE =========================>> You can keep the shipbuilding if you relinquish your claim to the Scotland's oil. wink.png

The Scottish economy gains more from the financial sector( mostly based in Edinburgh) than it does from the dwindling oil industry, luckily for Scotland most Scots used their heads when voting, in spit of all the abuse and intimidation thrown at them by the narrow minded Nationalist.

The only certainty from this election I'm sorry to say, is the Neanderthals will continue to spew forth their their twisted view of the modern world and continue to hate those who do not agree with them.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif What utter nonsense, the westminister government is so desparate to

hold on to Scotland because of " the dwindling oil industry "

Are you having a laugh? what a bright shining light of loving English nationalism you have turned out to

be. What a dipstick............................clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif or on the other hand you could be a complete

and utter jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif