Why can't they get their act together?

Would you feel the same way about foreigners who manipulated the visa rules of your home country in order to stay there simply because they wanted to stay there?

Honestly don't care.

However the big difference between my country and Thailand however is in my home country people can hop off the plane and almost instantly start claiming benefits, free housing, free medical treatment and all manner of other things.

Can you provide some credible evidence of your claims please?

Would you like pictures of the illegal immigrants at the local, Levittown, Pennsylvania welfare office?

How would a few random pictures of what you claim to be illegal immigrants be credible evidence?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they really make this a standard rule that you have to study 5 days per week 5 hours daily if your class is longer then 5 months I would say good bye to many thai language schools and also good bye to many many foreigners.

How about just make it consistent - and in line with the low end of University requirements..... 18 hours a week regardless of length of visa.

I think it's a bit smug of the people that qualify for a visa to stay in Thailand long term because they happen to be old, married to a Thai or whatever to bang on about "if there's no visa for you go elsewhere" or "you have no right to be in Thailand".

If that weren't the case you too would do what you could to stay here whether it be back to back tourist visas or signing up for a language course to get an ED visa.

Being old or married doesn't make you special. It just so happens Thailand has visas in place for those type of people. It's pure luck on your part you were born when you were or fell in love with a Thai women.

Yes being old and having money does make me special I can get a visa to live in Thailand without to much difficulty but like many of my special friends here I waited with a real job to make money so that I would qualify for a visa. In the end if I could not qualify for a visa here I would find another place to retire there are always options

• Like 1

Would you feel the same way about foreigners who manipulated the visa rules of your home country in order to stay there simply because they wanted to stay there?

I only care that they follow the basics. Tourist means that you don't work (in the country). Work Permit to work (although I really don't like temporary work permits since that only encourages people to make money locally and send it out of the country). Educational visa for education (i.e. 18 hours a week).

I had a friend crash at my place for 18 months while visiting from Japan.... She was not going to school, not working.... and she had enough money to live on (was not charging her rent - I had extra space - just a friend). Visa waiver entry 6 months, mail off an extension request - 6 months then she left and returned a few weeks later for 6 months. With her family, money was not an issue - so Immigration Canada did not care either.

^ The Japanese girl that I mentioned probably kept several people employed in the clothing industry while she was visiting (when sending stuff back - it had to be shipped in many many boxes separately) and $300 regular hair appointments (every several weeks). If have more people visit like that - the economy would be great!

Much of the above has no relationship to the question I posed....

Posted 2014-09-19 20:56:59

During this past week I have had dealings with five different Thai Consulates in the region with regards to Education Visa applications.

Four have some minor changes of no real consequences since the August 29 changes.

However, Singapore appears to have made up a new rule...

Foreigners applying for study courses in non-public schools, such as Thai language and culture courses, must provide documents to demonstrate that:

1. If the course is no longer than 5 months, the applicant will study at least 4 days per week, 2 hours per day.
2. If the course is longer than 5 months, the applicant will study at least 5 days per week, 5 hours per day.

So if you plan to study for 1 year, then your study hours are 25 per week x 12 months = 1300 hours.

Most of the students that I deal with could in no way afford such studies. Many are on pensions.

Why can't MFA come out with some firm rules for all Consulates to follow?

^ because then you would no longer be in Thailand tongue.png

Since there is no-body on this board that speaks for those that you ask the question -- it must be a rhetorical question.... If it is a rhetorical question (which I know not the meaning) I answer it as it should be answered with.... humour :P

Edited by bkkcanuck8